Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by LazyTechGuy
Yes, but if there's one thing that everyone seems to be agreeing on, it's that radar information shows the plane turning to the west. Nanjing, China would be in the opposite direction.
It was nanming which would be near its intended path.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 2:51 pm

Can the FDR and CVR be disabled or tampered with by anyone on the plane?
Old Mar 13, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: Former DL PM, current level: tin
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
She is often interviewed as an "Aviation Expert" because of her stint at DOT and having a pilot license.

When she is introduced on news programs, it's usually as "former DOT IG", but it is NOT prominently also stated that she is now a litigator, representing families in aviation crashes. In her comments to NPR, as well as on CNN yesterday, she seemed to emphasize mechanical problems, maintenance issues, etc., which coincidentally are all things that could result in a lawsuit. Gee, what a surprise.

Given that, I personally do not consider her anything close to an objective "expert".
I heard her on "Here and Now" (I believe) yesterday, and the host mentioned multiple times she was an attorney who had represented victims in crashes, and that was her current primary occupation. In fact listening to the interview I certainly came away with the impression that her primary focus is litigating air accidents.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
Well, satellites don't pick up VHF signals broadcast from planes towards the ground...if VHF communication is iffy beyond a couple hundred miles laterally, I'm not sure how a satellite thousands of miles up is going to hear it. Although who knows what the NSA has access to.
Very large dishes.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
It was nanming which would be near its intended path.
pretty sure we would know if it landed in nanming
Old Mar 13, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Originally Posted by msm
From Andy Pasztor's interview at 1:45

"It is possible it actually landed for some period - perhaps a short period - during those additional four hours"

The fact that this statement was additionally clarified with "perhaps a short period" is striking to me. If I were wildly guessing at outcomes, I would not clarify like that. To me, those words, "Perhaps a short period", sound data based.
This is crazier than LOST. I don't believe this is possible without help of government. I just don't see how you can fool everyone with radar in multiple countries. And if they safely land in remote island, it would make more sense to stay there. This has to be a rumor or misinterpretation of data.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by haddon90
Not if radicals from nanming were behind it.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by LazyTechGuy
Yes, but if there's one thing that everyone seems to be agreeing on, it's that radar information shows the plane turning to the west. Nanjing, China would be in the opposite direction.
firstly the speculation was Nanning, S.China not Nanjing in W.China.

IIRC there was some confusion about the place name... was it Nanning China or Na... something with a similar name somewhere else.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by haddon90
Or you would think any other runway needed for this size aircraft. I know there are a number of unfriendlies west of the aircraft's last know location, but also many more friendlies.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MANman
firstly the speculation was Nanning, S.China not Nanjing in W.China.

IIRC there was some confusion about the place name... was it Nanning China or Na... something with a similar name somewhere else.
I believe they were referring to Nanjing China, but not positive.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by alanR
True...but that link is to a satellite.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 3:01 pm

found this

i found this online they reckon its near the parcel islands
Old Mar 13, 2014, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by andrewwm
It would be easier to believe the press reports if they hadn't been wrong/ill-informed/repeating stale speculation with every major story they publish.

I have not yet seen them break one real newsworthy story. Every time they "break" something, it turns out to be a mischaracterization or blowing up some small twist of a word into something much bigger than it is.

Case in point: "US official has an 'indication' that it crashed in the Indian ocean" which everyone in the press is acting like is a big new scoop and MH370 was for sure way off course and crashed past Andaman Islands.

I'd bet dollar to donuts what the US official is referring to is the radar track of an unidentified object that the Malaysians picked up, which was announced two days ago. The US official is just confirming that this might indicate that MH370 was off course. In short: not news.
First off, the WSJ/NYT/ABC, who are now all reporting the plane being in the Indian Ocean, are NOT culpable of reporting "wrong/ill-informed/repeating stale speculation" in this situation.

You ARE, however, guilty of the same speculation you complain about, when you attempt and write this new development all off as the "unidentified radar tracks".

Sounds to me like you have an axe to grind with the US news media establishment. I'd suggest taking those feelings to OMNI as this is far from the most appropriate place...
Old Mar 13, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by alanR
Even larger dishes.

Not to mention all sorts of who knows what...
Old Mar 13, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by msm
I must be going crazy from thinking about this.

Andy seems to be well placed with information, and he is suggesting the possibility that the plane landed and took off again during the 4 hour period of time where we have the supposed engine data.

Further, Andy seems to be suggesting that we may know the duration of its time on the ground.

It strikes me that the latter statement, i.e. that we know the duration of the time in the landed state, would give credence to the former statement, i.e. that we think it landed for a period of time.

edited to add: Words get said for a reason; why does Andy add "Perhaps a short period"?
From an earlier very detailed post on the ACARS system: it knows when weight is on the wheels, when this is sensed ACARS uploads data on the flight completed. Furthermore during takeoff there is ACARS data transmitted about engine performance during that crucial time.

So that would give them the "appears to have landed" and the time between that and next takeoff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.