best hotel in Hong Kong

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best hotel in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2023, 3:14 am

Programs: Some
So after a week at the each of the Rosewood and FS, the FS is materially the better hotel, in my opinion.

Rosewood has bigger and more residential-style rooms as well as a newer hard product. Everything else is a clear win to the FS - service, breakfast, restaurants, location, pool area, gym equipment (Rosewood is at least newer but more limited), housekeeping, etc.

FS is a well-oiled machine with A+ service, Rosewood is nice but service is currently operating at the high-end chain (think RC etc) level instead. Could give many examples - after a week at the Rosewood I’m not even sure any of that staff knew my name vs. some FS staff magically knowing it after speaking to them for 10 seconds. It’s not even close.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 6:53 am

Programs: some
Quick data point - had a fabulous stay at the Upper House. Flawless, actually.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 7:53 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Completed my 3rd visit and 70+ nights at Rosewood Hong Kong.
A detailed youtube overview of why it's my favorite in Hong Kong.
Although I do very much like the Four Seasons HK as well. The refresh was much welcomed and the service was just fabulous!

Some high level recap of my 3rd Rosewood HK stays:
  • Staff all knew us by name and always greeted us and chatted with us.
  • Staff in Manor Club set up our usual seats, beverages, baby amenities, etc. all without needing to be asked. Of course staying for a long time helps and people get to know us.
  • Suites are holding up and aging well.
  • There's a lot going on (decor wise) in the rooms/suites, but it all works. One of Tony Chi's best works. I think.
  • The property does feel huge (413 rooms/suites) but being in the Manor Club (Club rooms or suite guests) certainly helps and feels a bit more exclusive.
  • People love being in Central (completely understandable) but as a visitor, I'd take being in TST and having the views of Central Skyline any day. I do not like being in Central and looking across at TST/Kowloon.
  • The price for suites still feels like a bargain when compared to cities like NYC, Paris, Tokyo. HK is as expensive of a real estate market as any of them yet, you can get a ~1300sqft suite for ~USD 2,000. With my Elite upgrade to the Grand Corner Harbour Suite, it's a no brainer in value. $2000 is a jr. suite or entry suite in NYC and half the size/quality.
  • Have sent many clients over the years (including many for Flyertalk) and all have loved it. Many have rebooked.

Context/transparency:
  • I was on Rosewood Hong Kong's Pre-Opening Advisory Board. I wanted to see the hotel succeed. So I certainly have a bit of biased/wishful thinking. BUT, I'd never compromise sending my clients a hotel I didn't think was excellent. As mentioned, many clients have booked and loved it.
  • I'm a top Rosewood Elite Advisor (globally) and know management well. I'm sure we received some extra attention on our stays. Same with my clients. While I can only speak to what I know and have been told by my clients, I can imagine not everyone has the same experience in a hotel of this scale.
  • Received a bit of Advisor discount (normal and not substantial). Still paid tens of thousands on the stay. In addition, when booking a second suite for my family to visit, I paid the full price as if I were booking for any client. I had offers to stay elsewhere in HK for far cheaper but paid more to stay at Rosewood HK for 1.5 months.

brandie, exactlyaron and exlibris like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 4:34 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Best Stay Anyplace, Ever!

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Rosewood Hong Kong would be the best option for luxury, and proximity.
Also consider The Regent (brand new, formerly the InterContinental, formerly formerly The Regent).
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Completed my 3rd visit and 70+ nights at Rosewood Hong Kong.
A detailed youtube overview of why it's my favorite in Hong Kong.
Although I do very much like the Four Seasons HK as well. The refresh was much welcomed and the service was just fabulous!

Some high level recap of my 3rd Rosewood HK stays:
  • Staff all knew us by name and always greeted us and chatted with us.
  • Staff in Manor Club set up our usual seats, beverages, baby amenities, etc. all without needing to be asked. Of course staying for a long time helps and people get to know us.
  • Suites are holding up and aging well.
  • There's a lot going on (decor wise) in the rooms/suites, but it all works. One of Tony Chi's best works. I think.
  • The property does feel huge (413 rooms/suites) but being in the Manor Club (Club rooms or suite guests) certainly helps and feels a bit more exclusive.
  • People love being in Central (completely understandable) but as a visitor, I'd take being in TST and having the views of Central Skyline any day. I do not like being in Central and looking across at TST/Kowloon.
  • The price for suites still feels like a bargain when compared to cities like NYC, Paris, Tokyo. HK is as expensive of a real estate market as any of them yet, you can get a ~1300sqft suite for ~USD 2,000. With my Elite upgrade to the Grand Corner Harbour Suite, it's a no brainer in value. $2000 is a jr. suite or entry suite in NYC and half the size/quality.
  • Have sent many clients over the years (including many for Flyertalk) and all have loved it. Many have rebooked.

Context/transparency:
  • I was on Rosewood Hong Kong's Pre-Opening Advisory Board. I wanted to see the hotel succeed. So I certainly have a bit of biased/wishful thinking. BUT, I'd never compromise sending my clients a hotel I didn't think was excellent. As mentioned, many clients have booked and loved it.
  • I'm a top Rosewood Elite Advisor (globally) and know management well. I'm sure we received some extra attention on our stays. Same with my clients. While I can only speak to what I know and have been told by my clients, I can imagine not everyone has the same experience in a hotel of this scale.
  • Received a bit of Advisor discount (normal and not substantial). Still paid tens of thousands on the stay. In addition, when booking a second suite for my family to visit, I paid the full price as if I were booking for any client. I had offers to stay elsewhere in HK for far cheaper but paid more to stay at Rosewood HK for 1.5 months.

https://youtu.be/nnpXEpi_A3k
You guys know your stuff.

I checked out of The Rosewood yesterday, staying in the same suite as BESVISOR The physical plant and the personnel are the best ever.

Happened to meet the GM early in our stay and the special treatment we received wherever we went was amazing, including the best tables at their Michelin Indian and top Chinese restaurants. Lotus Leung, their experience guide, went above and beyond in showing us HK and arranging special treatment .

This fantastic hotel experience will cause us disappointment when comparing future stays at other hotels. I’m already depressed!
kosy91 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 5:46 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
747FC Glad to hear you had an incredible stay! Hugo and team are fantastic.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:40 pm

Anyone had a refurbished room at Island SL?
Old Mar 3, 2024, 1:18 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by 747FC
You guys know your stuff.

I checked out of The Rosewood yesterday, staying in the same suite as BESVISOR The physical plant and the personnel are the best ever.

Happened to meet the GM early in our stay and the special treatment we received wherever we went was amazing, including the best tables at their Michelin Indian and top Chinese restaurants. Lotus Leung, their experience guide, went above and beyond in showing us HK and arranging special treatment .

This fantastic hotel experience will cause us disappointment when comparing future stays at other hotels. I’m already depressed!
Those in the know & locals who probably own hotels like Peninsula & Rosewood realise that it is better on the island but will build where $ can be made especially waterfront locations .. views of “ Lion ‘ s Rock “ , Star Ferry Piers in TST , etcetera

Possibly stay FS , MOHK and TUH
Old Mar 3, 2024, 3:10 am

I'm going back to HK later this year and will stay at the newly renovated Regent in Kowloon. I stayed there on my first visit to HK back in the days of Empire and it was utterly fabulous (the hotel was great, too). Now breathing new life, the Regent still has the best location/views of any hotel there.
FlyerEC and zip10001 like this.

Last edited by Pausanias; Mar 3, 2024 at 4:52 am
Old Mar 3, 2024, 3:53 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
…it is better on the island…
What is better?
Old Mar 3, 2024, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I'm going back to HK later this year and will stay at the newly renovated Regent in Kowloon. I stayed there on my first visit to HK back in the days of Empire and it was utterly fabulous (the hotel was great, too). Now breathing new life, the Regent still has the best location/views of any hotel there.
The room design is polarizing. I like the views but prefer the service and facilities at Rosewood.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
The room design is polarizing. I like the views but prefer the service and facilities at Rosewood.
The bathtub looks so uncomfortable...

I much prefer the old IC-era lobby
Old Mar 3, 2024, 2:30 pm
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pausanias
While views are nice, the Regent doesn’t feel luxury. The corridors are drab and look like a Hilton. Rooms feel small, also because of the low ceilings (can’t change that in a building from the 70s, the MO has the same problem). Breakfast was a zoo, the restaurant can’t cope when there’s high occupancy. The steak restaurant is very good though, and the pool area is nicer than Rosewood’s.
boonkoh and Michaeljinnyc like this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 4:28 pm

Those in the know & locals who probably own hotels like Peninsula & Rosewood realise that it is better on the island but will build where $ can be made especially waterfront locations .. views of “ Lion ‘ s Rock “ , Star Ferry Piers in TST , etcetera

What is better?
Ease of getting to various places - the Peak , touristy places which locals go visit too - Lan Kwai Fong , trails / walks from the Peak , etcetera , various bays - Repulse Bay , Stanley , the list goes on
Old Mar 11, 2024, 4:48 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Fliar
Still my favourite in Hong Kong!
Especially if you can get away from the requirement for certain facilities (pool etc. Spa too, but they can arrange in-room if needed).
It's boutique nature and service are still unmatched, especially once they get to know you a bit.

Also think Salisterra has gone up a notch F&B wise compared to Cafe Gray (which was maybe a weak point then), and they also have the Continental below too (plus a slew of restaurants in Pacific Place itself).
Old Mar 11, 2024, 6:38 pm

Ease of getting to various places - the Peak , touristy places which locals go visit too - Lan Kwai Fong , trails / walks from the Peak , etcetera , various bays - Repulse Bay , Stanley , the list goes on
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Still my favourite in Hong Kong!
Especially if you can get away from the requirement for certain facilities (pool etc. Spa too, but they can arrange in-room if needed).
It's boutique nature and service are still unmatched, especially once they get to know you a bit.

Also think Salisterra has gone up a notch F&B wise compared to Cafe Gray (which was maybe a weak point then), and they also have the Continental below too (plus a slew of restaurants in Pacific Place itself).
Originally Posted by Fliar
What is better?
Yes , chinmoylad & Fliar .. almost flawless at TUH & arguably better than MOHK these days

The views for one from FS , MOHK or TUH .. for one
Might share more later

Meals at MOHK restaurants and Salisterra / TUH are a delight .. no time to eat at FS yet

Towards IFC and RC

Towards IFC and RC on a clear morning

From Salisterra towards RC

& towards Rosewood
​​​​​​​

Towards Kai Tak & Rosewood

Towards Kai Tak & Rosewood on a better morning

Last edited by FlyerEC; Mar 11, 2024 at 7:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.