Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mandarin Oriental - New York

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2004, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I have just completed my two-night stay at the MO NY and am sorry to say that I agree with those who were not overly impressed.

Let me start by saying that this is a beautiful hotel. The rooms are very comfortable and very nicely appointed, with great bathrooms. Also, the staff for the most part are exceedingly friendly and try very hard to please the guests. But I think you have to judge this hotel in the context of their extraordinary rates. I made this point earlier in this thread: if you pay $159 to stay at the New York Hilton, it is going to be difficult for them to disappoint you since your expectations will be relatively low. On the other hand, when paying $895 to stay at the MO, your expectations rightly will be very high.

Check In. I had made my reservations under through AMEX under their fine hotel and resorts (FHR) program. This entitled me to a space-available upgrade, free continental breakfast for two each morning, one free lunch for two at the hotel restaurant, and a guaranteed late checkout. At virtually every hotel that participates in the FHR program, the guest is advised upon check in about how to use these amenities. For example, at many hotels, the guest is presented with a certificate for the free breakfasts and lunch, while at other hotels it is all handled automatically by the computer. At the MO, the guest must ask, and as I and NYBanker experienced, you may be left to negotiate all of this at checkout. (This is discussed further below.)

In any event, when I checked in, I asked about an upgrade. AMEX had told me that my premier central park view room would upgrade to a Mandarin Oriental executive suite. The clerk replied that I was in the highest room category. When I pressed a little, he repeated that I was in the highest room category. (As NYBanker speculated, they have a policy of not upgrading from the rooms to the suites. More on this later.)

The Room. I thought the room was lovely and very comfortable. I did not find it to be as small as Doppy reported, but that may be attributable in part to our differing room categories: I believe that the premier central park view rooms are 420 sq. ft., compared to 400 sq. ft. for the Hudson River view rooms. I know that 20 sq. ft. does not sound like a lot, but it could make a big difference depending on how the room is configured. Nevertheless, the room was significantly smaller than the standard rooms at the FS, where even the moderate rooms are 500 sq. ft. My biggest complaint about the room was being locked out at 2:00 in the morning. I returned from a night out with friends, and my key would not work. Fortunately there was a phone in the lobby, and after the operator answered after about 20-30 rings, security was sent up to let me in.

The Lobby Lounge and Restaurant. I met some friends for drinks at the lobby lounge, and had a very nice time with none of the problems that Doppy encountered. I arrived at about 5:00, and although all the tables by the windows overlooking the park (well, actually overlooking the Trump International Hotel and the park) were occupied, the lounge was otherwise not busy. I was greeted by a host, who after inquiring whether I was a hotel guest, showed my to a nice table. Later, as the lounge got busier, I saw this host putting up "Reserved" signs on all of the empty tables, I am guessing as a way to save them for hotel guests. On the other hand, when I went to make a reservation at the restaurant to use my free lunch, I was told that there were no tables available (not just at the time I wanted, but at any time), without having been asked if I was a hotel guest. So I just walked over to the concierge, who booked me a table without difficulty. Unfortunately, I was not able to go to lunch, but a friend went and said it was spectacular.

Room Service. I used room service twice during my stay, once at lunch time and once for breakfast. The first afternoon, I ordered a hamburger and french fries for lunch. The hamburger was excellent -- very juicy and tasty -- but the fries were not hot and were starting to turn soggy. I guess it can be difficult to deliver fries to guests when they're at their peak, but other hotels manage to do it, and for $895, the MO should find a way. But overall it was an excellent lunch. The next morning, I took advantage of my free breakfast by placing the pre-order card out the night before, on which I ordered two continental breakfasts. I was by myself, but I ordered two because I was entitled to it, and figured I could take the extra pastries home to my daughter. The next morning, my breakfast was delivered right on time, but they brought only one continental breakfast, not the two that I had ordered. It was, however, wonderful -- a small plate of fresh fruit, a small smoothie, hot coffee, fresh juice, and a basket of pastries, including danishes made with real fruit, not the typical all-sugar fruit fillings.

Business Center. When you pay $895 for a room, is it unreasonable to expect to be able to make a photocopy? I didn't think so, so I went down to the business center on the 36th floor (I assumed it was the office with the sign outside that said "Business Center"). When I walked in, a man looked up at me with a puzzled expression. I told him that I wanted to make a copy. His responded rudely asking "Are you a guest here?" I should have replied, "No, I just felt like taking the elevator up to the 36th floor to make a copy." I told him I was, at which point another employee informed me that the business center had been relocated to room 3800, on the 38th floor. I took the elevator up and found room 3800, which was not marked, but the door was unlocked so I walked in. I found an MO employee inside surrounded by a few computers and a computer printer, and when I told her that I wanted to make a copy, she replied that that was only the internet room, and they had no copier. So I gave up.

Check Out. Based on NYBanker's experience, when I checked out I knew to keep my eye out for being charged for me "free" breakfast. Sure enough, had I not said anything, I would have been charged. The woman who checked me out told me that the computer was supposed to catch it automatically, but I told her that my experience was consistent with others'. I also very patiently and politely explained to her all of the other issues with my stay. (Another guest who checked out before me complained much more excitedly about his stay, but I couldn't hear what he was complaining about.) She was very apologetic, and took notes of all of my complaints. As to the FHR amenities, she said that they don't upgrade from the rooms to the suites, but if you book a suite, you can be upgraded within the suites. She also said that the hotel's computer is supposed to catch the breakfasts and the free lunch to make sure the guest is not charged. (Because I was checking out before lunchtime, she promised to monitor my account for the rest of the day to make sure that I was not charged for the free lunch to which I was entitled. I have not checked yet to see if the lunch, which I let my friend use, was charged to me.) I suggested to her that (1) the hotel advise AMEX that the premier central park view rooms do not upgrade to MO executive suites, because AMEX is under the impression that they do, and (2) they follow the lead of other FHR participants and advise arriving guests about how the program works at their property.

So that's my experience. Had I paid half the price for the room, I'd still be frustrated by being locked out at 2am, and the ordeal with the business center, and the room service mess up, but I might have concluded that the quality of the property and of the room more than made up for it. At $895, however, there is absolutely no excuse for any of this.

Oh, one last thing. As I posted at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322873, I think the hotel may be violating NY law with respect to posted rates.
Old May 20, 2004, 3:00 pm

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Thank you very much for your report, I will stay there in July and reply here if they were able to adopt the good practices you suggested at check-out. ^

Was the lunch at Asiate ??? What did your friend eat ? How many courses ? Free choice from the menu ? Or pre-set ?
Old May 20, 2004, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by flamboyant 1
Was the lunch at Asiate ???
It was. I'll try to get the details.
Old May 21, 2004, 4:50 am

Programs: AmEx Plat, VS AG, SPG Gold, Priority Club/IHG Plat Ambassador, HHon Diamond, Hertz Pres Circle
Hi Blumie,

Thanks for the report.

I have booked the MO for a weekend in October through CTS. Hope they have made some improvements by then!

Being part of the FHR program I had to convince (well almost argue) that I did not want to be booked under that offer, I wanted the MO Group's own program, this took several calls and conversations with different members of staff at CTS.

The key difference is that with the MO program, the upgrade is confirmed at time of reservation and NOT dependent on availability when you check-in. From reading your post, another difference, which I had not realised did not apply to the FHR program is that the MO program will upgrade from the highest room category to the lowest suite category.

I have the booking confirmation in front of me and it clearly states:

Premier Central Park View room $893 (Amex rate, $2 below rack rate) upgraded to Mandaring Executive Suite. (one night complimentary per Centurion program)

With the MO program you can stay at each MO once per calendar year and get the upgrade and complimentary second night, other benefits are the same as the FHR program. I did the MO Hyde Park on the program last year and have booked again for later this year.

So it is important to stress to Amex that you want the MO program not the blanket FHR program.

Hope this helps anyone considering staying there.
Old May 21, 2004, 11:22 am

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN
I know this is not a luxury hotel, but I couldn't find a post for normal affordavle hotels. I know NY is famed for its luxury hotels like the St Regis, but I decided to stay at a place with a more moderate rate as my FRTW has already put a burden on my wallet. I will be staying at the Marriott marquis hotel in times Square in June in a standard room. I chose this hotel mainly because of its good location. What do you people think of this hotel in general? Have any of you tried the revolving restraunt on the top floor? How are the views from there? Is $189 dollars a night a good deal for a double room in this hotel?
Old May 21, 2004, 11:38 am

got miles? - the Marquis is a very decent hotel in a great tourist location. $189 / night is a good price for any hotel in New York City, and I think you're definitely getting good value.

If you ask this question in the "New York" forum, you may get more detailed answers.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 11:36 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Nice Stay At the Mandarin

Originally Posted by DrivingRain
Out of pure curiousity I will be having my first MO NY stay next weekend on the Centurion deal. I can't belieive these guys are charging $585/night on a weekend holiday...but when it is 2 for 1 I can deal with it.

I'll pass along my thoughts.

Room:
We had a Central Park View room. The room is nicely furnished with a love seat overlooking the Park. The bed had at least a dozen pillows on it. The bathrooms are large and have a nice seperate shower and 13" plasma TV. The floor to ceiling windows have manual blinds. I expected powered blind retraction. Dimmers are available on most lights which is a big plus for me. The colors are engaging shades of dark reds and black. I'd never decorate my home this way, but I liked it at a hotel. Bathroom amenities are severely lacking. No Q-tips is a big no-no in my book.

Service:
The service is OK. Someone must have read them the riot act on the AMEX Centurion program b/c they had all the answers to all of my questions before I asked. The most annoying part of the service is that everyone has their hand out for a tip. I encouraged this behavior by tipping regularly for a good seat in the lobby lounge, etc. A welcome in-room tea service is a nice touch at check-in.

Food:
I had brunch in the restaurant. At $48, it was not a bad deal. The food was not the best though. Nothing seemed freshly or properly prepared. The deserts had a refrigirated taste to them. The intermezzo sorbet had a film of ice from waiting in the freezer. The tenderloin looked and tasted "tired".

Extras:
The Maybach courtesy car is a very nice touch.

Overall:
The ambiance is electric. If you want to be at the hot spot in Manhattan, this is it. The service is unspectacular, but solid. The rooms are very good (i didnt find them too small as others had noted), but not as nice as RC CP or FS Mar. The location is slightly worse than its competitors, but not bad. It's an excuse to use the Maybach after all!

The bottom-line is that they are over-charging for the rooms. There is no justification for being $200 over the RCCP or FSNY. On the contrary I would pay more for the boutique-hotel atmosphere of the RCCP over the Hollywood style glitz of the MO.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 12:47 pm

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3201592

Premier Corner Hudson River View room has spectacular views of Midtown, the River and New Jersey. Very well appointed rooms, I was rather impressed. Asiate is a wonderful restaurant, only the a la carte breakfast menu is not too extensive.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 1:01 pm

I was back here for lunch today in the lounge. I took my parents. All went well. Of course they loved the view and the food. I always find myself ordering the mushroom chopsticks. We got window seats without having to fork over a tip (1st time for me for that).

I have been here recently for lunch at Asiate as well. I liked the lunch much more than the brunch mentioned two posts above. I recommend any fish dish on the menu.

I havent seen the Maybach out front in a long time ...does anybody know if they still have it?
Old Sep 17, 2004, 2:40 pm

I'm deciding whether or not I should make a reservation here for the holidays. If I make a reservation this weekend, would the hotel be offering a stay one night get the second complementary? If they weren't, could I just book for one night and then later change it to that offer? Also, I have read several reviews and most say that they were upgraded. Would it be possible to ask to be upgraded when making my reservation or upon check-in?

If someone could respond very quickly, that would be great.

Last edited by First_Class_Flyer; Sep 17, 2004 at 4:12 pm
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: AC, BA
Recent experiences?

I have an upcoming stay at MO NYC and was hoping that some of you might have some recent experiences at this property? I'm looking forward to the views, but I hope the service has improved in the last few years.

Last edited by allstar_yvr; Jul 30, 2012 at 11:00 pm
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:46 am

I've only done F&B at mony lately, and the service there hasn't changed much. But keep in mind in my experiences there as guest and customer the service has never been flawed from a functional perspective. Always efficient and they do what they say they're going to do...and when they do it they do it well. It's just a little cold. It lacks the warmth that you might find at other properties. Location is great. Hard product is great. Spa is great.So you can plan to stay with plenty of confidence.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 9:24 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I will be staying overnight this Thursday night so I will give my impressions once I am there.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:55 pm

Programs: AC, BA
Thanks kindly. I'm arriving on the weekend and certainly looking forward to this stay.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:06 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Just checked in this afternoon. I was upgraded to a Central Park view room on the 47th floor. The view of Central Park, bordered by 5th Avenue and Central Park South is a great view.

There is a great view of the new future Park Hyatt on 57th between 6th and 7th.

More observations to follow......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.