Mandarin Oriental - New York

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mandarin Oriental - New York

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2003, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RTauscher:
Dear Doppy,

Thank you for having brought to my attention your recent experiences at Mandarin Oriental, New York. I have forwarded your comments on to my colleagues and we are most appreciative of your having taken the time to share your constructive criticisms with us. Rest assured, appropriate action is being taken to address the issues which you brought to our attention as we take our guests concerns very seriously.

Yours sincerely

Rudy Tauscher
General Manager
Mandarin Oriental, New York
</font>
Weren't you running the Trump International at one point? If that is the case, and you can get the M-O in the shape that the Trump was when I stayed there (a few times in 1999-2001) then the M-O should have no trouble.

When Doppy mentioned the turndown service, I thought of the Trump turndown, which was suspiciously similar. Now we see there is a reason for that. I hope you are including the freshly-baked chocolate-dipped pistachio cookies as part of the turndown.

Old Dec 11, 2003, 7:53 am

Programs: AmEx Plat, VS AG, SPG Gold, Priority Club/IHG Plat Ambassador, HHon Diamond, Hertz Pres Circle
Doppy, thanks for a really interesting post, I must say I am surprised but it sounds as though Rudy will sort things out. My wife and I just stayed two nights in the MO Hyde Park, London and had a really good time, I posted a (brief) trip report on this board.

Liam Lambert is the GM, (formerly at the MO Hong Kong, so he has great credentials) the hotel was very well run, even though they were full and had events going on. I believe Liam was actually staying in the MO NY at the same time as you because he and his wife were over for the official opening. I will email him a link to this thread, I'm sure he will be interested to read your report.

------------------
Bazz
Still Flying
Old Dec 11, 2003, 8:30 am

After a wonderful experience at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Miami, I was extremely excited about the new Mandarin property opening up in my neighbor in New York City. Although I have not stayed at this new hotel, I did see many of the rooms on a recent visit. As a frequent traveler to some of the world's finest and most highly regarded hotels, I found this new Mandarin property to be on par if not better than the best. The decor is elegant, luxurious and extremely tasteful. The bathrooms are exquisite with a picture window over the bathtub offering unbelievable views of a fabulous NYC skyline and the Hudson River. The technical equipment is unsurpassed - plasma screen TVs, high speed internet access and wireless sound!

From my first step in to the hotel's lobby, I was wowed by the brilliant architecture, calming colors, beautiful decor and breathtaking views.

The spa is amazing, the service perfectly attentive yet not oppressive and the treatment I had was one of the best I've ever experienced.

The food at Asiate was beautifully presented, delicious and unique.

I have recommended The Mandarin Oriental NY to my out of town friends and they have all loved their experience, enough so to be self proclaimed converts from other well known prestigious Manhattan hotels. If I didn't live six blocks away, I would check in too!
Old Dec 11, 2003, 11:09 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flamboyant 1:
Once more I have to state that this "stay report" may not be the longest or fanciest, but it is to me the most useful and critical observation of a hotel that charges a whole lot too much for this kind of service. Thank you. A very valuable objective report that, if understood correctly by the MO staff could also lead to improvements.

</font>
I very much agree.

It is nice to see a hotel employee actually register and respond to the board itself. Virtually 100% of hotelS upon the first few monhts of opening have kinks to work out, even the Ritz's and Four Seasons'. Although I would expect this M-O to be a little bit higher on the ladder than you descibed. I am sure it will all work out, as at this point rather than any press at all (good and bad) only good press is wanted. Good Luck.

P.S. The Mark in New York is run by M-O too, and sadly (as it is a great often forgotten NY hotel) that did not get coverage with the M-O Columbus Circle opening.

Old Dec 13, 2003, 10:56 am

What a nice gesture to give your parents this gift. However I thought that the big selling point of this hotel would be the magnificent views.

Though the Hudson view must be very nice, I personally would chose the Central Park view which must be unique. How was the view from your room? I assume you did not eat at the restaurant?

This hotel apparently is full for December. I personally find the rates a ripp-off for New York/vs. other excellent hotels. Interesting that the rooms are small.Everything in New York is small in the new buildings.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Bretteee:
Though the Hudson view must be very nice, I personally would chose the Central Park view which must be unique. How was the view from your room? I assume you did not eat at the restaurant?</font>
The Hudson view rooms are larger (there's only 4 of them on that side of the hotel, versus 5 on the central park view room side), so I figured we'd go with that. Also, I assumed we'd get the park view in the lobby lounge or restaurants.

On the 51st floor, the view would have been great, but unfortunately it was snowing heavily all weekend, so we couldn't see hardly anything.

d
Old Dec 13, 2003, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
In reading Doppy's critique, a couple of things came to mind:

(1) When you pay $59 to stay at some Holiday Inn somewhere, you're rarely disappointed; typically you get exactly what you expect. And if the room is particularly clean and the staff particularly pleasant, you generally feel really good about the experience. On the other hand, when you pay $600 for a room, particularly at a brand new Mandarin Oriental, you expect absolute perfection. It's easy to brush aside service lapses at the $59 Holiday Inn, but not at the $600 Mandarin Oriental.

(2) Once you experience any disappointment, you tend to get hyper-critical. I don't mean to suggest that Doppy did not experience everything mentioned in the post, but I suspect that if the overall experience had been more satisfactory, some of the criticisms could more easily be chalked up to the newness of the hotel or the intensity of the snowstorm that NYC experienced that weekend.

(3) Not to make excuses, but the hotel is brand new and NYC experienced an unusually intense snowstorm that weekend, which had to affect the ability of a place like the Mandarin Oriental to deliver the expected level of service. I am sure staff members could not get in, newspapers arrived late, etc.

(4) I am glad that Doppy brought this experience to the attention of the hotel GM. I would be surprised if this did not result in immediate changes and refocusing on service delivery.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Architectural critique by The New Yorker's Paul Goldberger of the Time Warner Center, including the hotel:

http://www.newyorker.com/critics/skyline/
Old Dec 14, 2003, 1:54 pm

With no view, then the reason to stay at this hotel and pay 50% more than other hotels are really nill. Just my opinon. I am a big view person. I understand now why you are so negative.

Can one get a nice view from the restaurant and lounge where you get tea?
Old Dec 14, 2003, 1:57 pm

&gt;&gt;am glad that Doppy brought this experience to the attention of the hotel GM. I would be surprised if this did not result in immediate changes and refocusing on service delivery. &gt;&gt;

One problem though is that the GM cannot enlarge the size of the room.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 2:00 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Doppy:
Did you happen to try the lobby lounge? That's where we had the most trouble.

I'd consider giving the M-O another try, but only if it were competitive with hotels like the Four Seasons, St. Regis, Peninsula and Ritz Carlton. We'll see how the room rates flesh out in the next few months.d
</font>
We did not sit in the lobby lounge, but we did have drinks in the adjacent MO Bar (the Mandarin Margaritas were excelllent).

Again, our experience was wholly different than yours, Doppy. We found the hotel facilities and service to be exceptional -- totally in line with the price -- and we weren't even upgraded to a better room!

Old Dec 14, 2003, 3:28 pm

Old Dec 15, 2003, 7:09 am

Thank you for a wonderful report, having just returned from the Mandarin Oriental Munich I was surprised and rather troubled that you had so many problems at this new establishment. I'm a big fan (pardon the pun) of the Mandarin chain and looking forward to visiting next March although have to admit hesitated on reading your initial post.

The booking was made by Centurion Amex and to be honest was initially difficult to make due in part to the reservation staff having no idea about agreement between the Mandarin and Amex far less agreements on Centurion benefits. My concierge eventually got through to a supervisor who was able to resolve matters and has booked my into a Premiere Hudson View room with Upgrade on arrival if available as well as other Centurion benefits. Have any other Centurion Card holders stayed here yet, any thoughts on the service for Centurions compared to other Mandarins around the world?

After reservation I noted that the Hudson rooms are the smallest with only 400 square feet/37 square meters as apposed to all others. This room was more expensive than the superior room which is Approximately 425 square feet/39 square meters. Any thoughts on the difference and wither I should change my booking?
Old Dec 15, 2003, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Bretteee:
Can one get a nice view from the restaurant and lounge where you get tea? </font>
Yes, there are great views overlooking the park, as they're on the 35th floor.

d
Old Dec 15, 2003, 12:10 pm

We have to agree with Doppy. We stayed at the sametime and for the first time ever I wrote to the GM - no reply just yet. The service is a big shock to what we are used to with the MO hotels and for the price even more so.
My letter to the GM was after I asked to speak with the duty manager and got the assistant front office manager who was pleasant but I was not sure anything would happen. My letter also preceded checking out , which you'd have thought after I complained would have been smooth but had a 104 bar bill on despite not having had anything and two erroneous spa services.
My only comments to add to Doppys excellent observations are that the hotel has excellent potential but is woefully let down by think combination of new staff and building glitches.
My biggest complaint was on service, for example we went to the pool area and were showed into it by attendant. We agreed with him it looked good, when we returned 3 hours later to use it having changed etc we were told that pool was not in use as there was a problem and had been for last day - why did the attendant not say so !
Equally my spa visit was mired by mens steam room and facility being out of service "heat exchangers faulty" but only told after I booked my spa "time ritual" where the staff made much of the facilities.
On check in morning we arrived very early not expecting to be able to get in room, we were received courteously and luggage taken and told to come back later and get keys which was fine.
We got back at 5pm and eventually key card was given but no one offered to show room, we asked if our luggage was in room and was told of course. It was not and it was at this point that I sensed things were not up to MO standards - can you imagine this at MO BKK ?
Inexcusably our luggage took 45 mins to arrive up including an entertaining episode when bellboy arrived with trolley saying I have come to collect your luggage to check out.
The inroom tv etc is very high tech but no one explained it. The internet did not work despite endeavours of staff but what was annoying here was that they never said sorry but we have problems they just dissappeared. The assistant mger annoyed me when I complained by saying yes we're having IT problems - well fine why not tell the guests instead of us wasting time trying to get into the internet two days - I needed this to work.
Similarly she admitted she only found out about pool and steam room failings 24hrs late.
Agree entirely with the very un MO noises the lift makes - truly irritating, and the lobby lounge seemingly reserved for non hotel guests.
Door service at street level was often unmanned mainly i think by the doorman who was v helpful spending most his time way down on colee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.