Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Paris Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread started 9/21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 25, 2021, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Given that the previous consolidated thread was started in 2008, it is time to start a new thread, beginning with an excellent review by KatW.

The previous thread may be found at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479
Print Wikipost

Paris Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread started 9/21)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2022, 3:57 pm

What happened at Le Crillon? I’ve read good things about their service and how they were (supposedly) less stuffy than the Ritz, etc. and was curious about staying there in the future.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 9:44 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

It's hard to say exactly what was off about my 4-night stay at Rosewood Hotel de Crillon. I stayed in one of their signature historic suites, the Duc de Crillon Suite: https://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/ho...duc-de-crillon

So at those stratospheric rates, my expectations for caring and personal service were high and, I think, warranted. The suite was gorgeous.

But I didn't encounter even a trace of warmth from any of the staff during my stay. Example: I asked the concierge for a recommendation of where to buy a new belt, as I discovered I'd left mine at home. The first concierge told me he had no idea and couldn't help me. The second brusquely mentioned a name below his breath and moved on to the next person in the queue. Another example: I'd reserved a place at breakfast for a very specific time as I had a train to catch for a pressing business meeting, the very reason for my trip to Paris. I arrived at the breakfast room and was told there would be a 30-minute wait as they were fully occupied. The flotilla of doormen couldn't be bothered to return a smile or exchange a greeting upon my comings and goings. In short, I found it a very chilly place, terrific hardware, frigid software.

But I could go on and on about the other great options in Paris. I was incredibly impressed by Cheval Blanc -- unlike anything else in the City of Light, but somehow nonetheless entirely of the place. Those views of the Seine and the Ile de la Cite -- priceless.
nycnyc and simpletastes like this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 10:39 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by jman4321
Anyone stay at the new JK Place Paris? It looks interesting and the JK properties elsewhere seem to be very nice. Would be interested in thoughts. Thank you!
If you are cancelling the Ritz due to the food, don't go to JK Paris. The restaurant is tiny tiny with no outdoor space either. The nearby FBG Saint Germain or even Lutetia might be the right call. Cheval Blanc too, if your budget allows

Also, for your other messages about emailing to cancel, just pick up the phone and ask for the front desk, They can cancel for you and provide a reference. You cannot expect the reservation team to work across all 24 time zones + weekends and holidays. They have not been replaced by AI Bots yet.
obscure2k and Groombridge like this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 11:44 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABG
Also, for your other messages about emailing to cancel, just pick up the phone and ask for the front desk, They can cancel for you and provide a reference. You cannot expect the reservation team to work across all 24 time zones + weekends and holidays. They have not been replaced by AI Bots yet.
More and more, in these internet days, there are those who eschew entirely the phone, preferring email. I pick up the phone … never.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by ABG
Major advantages of email include reduced opportunity for misunderstanding and providing written proof of the discussion. It's a lot easier to show an email than to say you had a discussion with XYZ on such date.

I often get responses from hotels well outside their business hours.
jman4321 and Nizar like this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 10:49 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by KatW
I pick up the phone … never
Originally Posted by richarddd
Major advantages of email include reduced opportunity for misunderstanding and providing written proof of the discussion. It's a lot easier to show an email than to say you had a discussion with XYZ on such date.
The OP, jman4321, seems to have had some anxiety about a timing deadline and a looming credit card charge. So I merely suggested picking up the phone and handling it with the front desk, who may easily provide a cancellation number (AKA proof of discussion) and then you can return to normal life instead of posting about how long it takes to get a reply to an email.
I'm aware of the advantages of email
Maybe jman4321 did not know the front office could also cancel for them
obscure2k likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 2:28 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by Groombridge
It's hard to say exactly what was off about my 4-night stay at Rosewood Hotel de Crillon. I stayed in one of their signature historic suites, the Duc de Crillon Suite: https://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/ho...duc-de-crillon

So at those stratospheric rates, my expectations for caring and personal service were high and, I think, warranted. The suite was gorgeous.

But I didn't encounter even a trace of warmth from any of the staff during my stay. Example: I asked the concierge for a recommendation of where to buy a new belt, as I discovered I'd left mine at home. The first concierge told me he had no idea and couldn't help me. The second brusquely mentioned a name below his breath and moved on to the next person in the queue. Another example: I'd reserved a place at breakfast for a very specific time as I had a train to catch for a pressing business meeting, the very reason for my trip to Paris. I arrived at the breakfast room and was told there would be a 30-minute wait as they were fully occupied. The flotilla of doormen couldn't be bothered to return a smile or exchange a greeting upon my comings and goings. In short, I found it a very chilly place, terrific hardware, frigid software.

But I could go on and on about the other great options in Paris. I was incredibly impressed by Cheval Blanc -- unlike anything else in the City of Light, but somehow nonetheless entirely of the place. Those views of the Seine and the Ile de la Cite -- priceless.
Very surprised to read this. I was staying at the same property back in May this year and the service during my stay was exemplary. Staff couldn't be more friendly and the concierge gone out of the way to meet some of my requests. I think you should probably write to the GM ( Vincent Billard ) about your experience which is rather unacceptable.

On a side note, the rates for Paris luxury hotels seems to have gone absolutely nuts. Nearly double.

Last edited by BENLEE; Aug 23, 2022 at 4:49 am
Old Aug 25, 2022, 10:54 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
I'm curious to try the Cheval Blanc but the service, restaurants, and spa are so good at the George V I'm not likely to ever stay there. I heard the George V was renovating their rooms again. Is this correct and if so, has anyone enjoyed them yet?
Old Aug 25, 2022, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
I'm curious to try the Cheval Blanc but the service, restaurants, and spa are so good at the George V I'm not likely to ever stay there. I heard the George V was renovating their rooms again. Is this correct and if so, has anyone enjoyed them yet?
When did you last stay? Just to get a better understanding re: your comments on good service. Yes they will be renovating the rooms, which -- frankly -- is necessary, as they are not on the same level compared to their (speciality) suites. I love the new look. Sadly, nothing has been done yet but it is coming.
offerendum likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat *G/DL Plat/Marriott Ti/WoH Glob
Any recent experiences at La Réserve? Visiting in October and would love more recent intel than MacMyDay ‘s (excellent) 2016 review!
Old Aug 27, 2022, 6:04 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BENLEE
On a side note, the rates for Paris luxury hotels seems to have gone absolutely nuts. Nearly double.
Wow, yes... the lowest category rooms at e.g. Ritz and Crillon used to be like 1000 EUR or 1200 EUR depending on season, etc. Now they are 2100 / 2200 EUR.

Inflation? Staffing? Low supply and pent up demand?
Old Aug 27, 2022, 11:57 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by david22
Wow, yes... the lowest category rooms at e.g. Ritz and Crillon used to be like 1000 EUR or 1200 EUR depending on season, etc. Now they are 2100 / 2200 EUR.

Combination of all of these. Now that the world is coming out of pandemic, popular 1st tier cities like Paris is going to have a lot of visitors. Also the Euro has weakened and is below parity vs the USD may also be a factor.
KatW, offerendum and gudugan like this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by david22

Simply the actual madness, not only in Paris
Old Aug 28, 2022, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
Try it. As I said George is nice, but rooms could be better. While the suite itself looked quite fresh, the bathroom was quite dated. Best example is the shower head and the tub in baby-size. Therefore the flower arrangements are great, in the lobby and in the room.

Le Cinq and George didn´t flash me, L´Orangerie was very nice.
jman4321 and mykel67 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AC75K, Bonvoy LTit, HH Diamond, SL Jade, ALL GOLD, IHG Diamond, GHA Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ABG
The OP, jman4321, seems to have had some anxiety about a timing deadline and a looming credit card charge. So I merely suggested picking up the phone and handling it with the front desk, who may easily provide a cancellation number (AKA proof of discussion) and then you can return to normal life instead of posting about how long it takes to get a reply to an email.
I'm aware of the advantages of email
Maybe jman4321 did not know the front office could also cancel for them
I’m well aware of the phone options and I speak French and I phoned the hotel first and they wouldn’t cancel by phone immediately. « On s’en occupe. » I’m astonished that folks would post such remarks, but I can tell you, having lived in France, verbal confirmation will not do when they charge your card for a three night stay in a suite. You will be in for a bagarre that you don’t need to fight if their service levels were up to snuff and they provide email. As someone noted, no confusion on the ask and details. That said, when I originally made the reservation, by phone, i might add, as I had questions, I received an immediate response without asking for the confirmation by email hence what is referred to as anxiety is a disconnect in service levels that is not understood. Not sure what has happened at the hotel, but all I can say is when I made the reservation last October I was very excited about it. Then as things got closer I started to firm up details and it was not the same on the ball « équipe » I dealt with in the fall. Beautiful hotel with a fantastic location, but not for me this stay. Opted for the Mandarin Oriental instead. Same location with very attentive staff and a top notch cuisine… We should all probably do less judging of those in the forum as I find the comments helpful. When folks are critical, it encourages less discussion. Cheers
Originally Posted by Condition One
After thoroughly enjoying my stay at the JK Place in Rome, I went ahead and booked the property in Paris. While not in the middle of Vendome, it is a very short and pleasant walk to the area. The hotel was very intimate and the staff fantastic. The concierge responded to emails within hours and helped facilitate our stay. The lower level rooms do not have desks, oddly enough, but my Master room was spacious, clean, and very comfortable. Food was excellent, but also Italian; not exactly what I was in the mood for sometimes being in Paris. I am booking the JK again for my fall trip!
Was the building next door under renovation when you stayed there? Walked by the hotel and noted much construction / renovation on the adjacent building, looks as if it may be connected… Thoughts on the noise?

Last edited by RichardInSF; Aug 28, 2022 at 8:35 pm Reason: Consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.