Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Paris Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread started 9/21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 25, 2021, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Given that the previous consolidated thread was started in 2008, it is time to start a new thread, beginning with an excellent review by KatW.

The previous thread may be found at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479
Print Wikipost

Paris Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread started 9/21)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2023, 8:44 am

We just got back from a stay at Hotel Madame Reve.

Overall we enjoyed our stay, but they could use some improvement to be more in line with what we usually see in five star luxury hotels.

Check-in: Friendly, quick and efficient. We arrived at about 10:00am and were told room would be ready in 20 minutes. We went out and within 20 minutes received an email that the room was ready.

Welcome amenities. Two large plates of fruit, which was very nice. No cards from management or TA and no flowers.

Room. View suite with terrace. Lovely room. A good amount of space well laid out. Nice view of the top of St Eustache. It was a dark in places, such near the bedroom windows for the table and dresser; they definitely need more lights. Quiet. Comfortable bed. Outlets near bed. No clock.

Bathroom. Fine. Shower was hot but could use a touch more pressure. Towels were plush. No shower caps or anything beyond bottles of soap, conditioner, shampoo and lotion and bars of hand soap (hotel branded).

Food. We had room service breakfast every day. It was tasty. However, our juice glasses were only half filled and coffee and tea were not hot.

Service. No one regularly opening the entrance door. No turndown service - someone came to the door every night (over a range of times) to hand us two water bottles, two caramels and a breakfast menu (fill out, hang on door). Used glasses were taken away on some days and sometimes replaced. Phones were not answered with our name. Towards the end of our stay some of our welcome fruit became visibly moldy, but was not removed.

We had a generally enjoyable stay and staff were all nice, but the sense was basic rather than five star luxury.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 11:58 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by KatW
Chopard’s 1 Place Vendôme — the ‘anti-hotel for the ultra wealthy’ [even though entry rate is close to many other such rates]
Link from CNN
https://www.cnn.com/style/chopard-ho...ris/index.html

And here is much more oohing and anhinga from WWD:
https://wwd.com/eye/lifestyle/chopar...is-1235890365/
There were a lot of news and social media articles writing about how this hotel doesn't want news or publicity or social media articles.

I have a 4 day stay coming in April and it looks potentially interesting. I increasingly appreciate boutique luxury hotels with a small number of rooms. But what do folks think about the prospects? I wish there were more detailed pictures of rooms.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 10:34 am

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by richarddd
We just got back from a stay at Hotel Madame Reve.

Overall we enjoyed our stay, but they could use some improvement to be more in line with what we usually see in five star luxury hotels.

Check-in: Friendly, quick and efficient. We arrived at about 10:00am and were told room would be ready in 20 minutes. We went out and within 20 minutes received an email that the room was ready.

Welcome amenities. Two large plates of fruit, which was very nice. No cards from management or TA and no flowers.

Room. View suite with terrace. Lovely room. A good amount of space well laid out. Nice view of the top of St Eustache. It was a dark in places, such near the bedroom windows for the table and dresser; they definitely need more lights. Quiet. Comfortable bed. Outlets near bed. No clock.

Bathroom. Fine. Shower was hot but could use a touch more pressure. Towels were plush. No shower caps or anything beyond bottles of soap, conditioner, shampoo and lotion and bars of hand soap (hotel branded).

Food. We had room service breakfast every day. It was tasty. However, our juice glasses were only half filled and coffee and tea were not hot.

Service. No one regularly opening the entrance door. No turndown service - someone came to the door every night (over a range of times) to hand us two water bottles, two caramels and a breakfast menu (fill out, hang on door). Used glasses were taken away on some days and sometimes replaced. Phones were not answered with our name. Towards the end of our stay some of our welcome fruit became visibly moldy, but was not removed.

We had a generally enjoyable stay and staff were all nice, but the sense was basic rather than five star luxury.

i generally agree with your assessment. The service is willing but not proactive. Turn down service does indeed occur which includes what you are given. Perhaps a language barrier caused them to not offer as you were in the room. Typically they will refresh the bed, restock towels and leave the caramels and water you mentioned.

in addition to the bath products you mentioned there is a shoe mitt and sewing kit in the closet. There is also an additional toiletry bag below the sink but it’s a bit hidden at the back.

The door being opened is hit or miss for me but it generally happens. They don’t seem to have a dedicated door man but rather a couple of people that serve that roll as well as porter.

it doesn’t sound like you took advantage of the restaurants or rooftop garden. Both are very good with nice views of Paris from the rooftop.

i think the service could be improved indeed but it is at the lower price point for 5 star being near half the price of the Mandarin so I’m sure that’s part of it.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by MorganB
i generally agree with your assessment. The service is willing but not proactive. Turn down service does indeed occur which includes what you are given. Perhaps a language barrier caused them to not offer as you were in the room. Typically they will refresh the bed, restock towels and leave the caramels and water you mentioned.

in addition to the bath products you mentioned there is a shoe mitt and sewing kit in the closet. There is also an additional toiletry bag below the sink but it’s a bit hidden at the back.

The door being opened is hit or miss for me but it generally happens. They don’t seem to have a dedicated door man but rather a couple of people that serve that roll as well as porter.

it doesn’t sound like you took advantage of the restaurants or rooftop garden. Both are very good with nice views of Paris from the rooftop.

i think the service could be improved indeed but it is at the lower price point for 5 star being near half the price of the Mandarin so I’m sure that’s part of it.
Turndown: perhaps it was language, although people ranged from those with very good English to those who barely spoke it. They all did offer towels. BTW, the bathroom had the smallest towel rack I can recall - it held one bath towel and one smaller towel, with a second set under the sink.

About half the time there was someone standing in the lobby, but only once did they open the door for us.

The rooftop restaurant (and I believe the entire rooftop) was closed when we were there. We did have a nice view from the room.

At about half the price of a similarly sized room at the top end, it's likely good value, but it seems some things could be improved at very low cost, such as properly lighting the room.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 1:23 am

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by richarddd
Turndown: perhaps it was language, although people ranged from those with very good English to those who barely spoke it. They all did offer towels. BTW, the bathroom had the smallest towel rack I can recall - it held one bath towel and one smaller towel, with a second set under the sink.

About half the time there was someone standing in the lobby, but only once did they open the door for us.

The rooftop restaurant (and I believe the entire rooftop) was closed when we were there. We did have a nice view from the room.

At about half the price of a similarly sized room at the top end, it's likely good value, but it seems some things could be improved at very low cost, such as properly lighting the room.
Yes the rooftop bar is indeed closed in winter but it’s totally worth a walk around the roof as the view is incredible and you can do that at anytime as a hotel guest.

the lighting is “moody” which can be annoying. I recall not being able to see a thing the first time I stayed until they showed me the control panel where the room had two settings, one dim and one bright. But as you point out there are dark areas. The towel warmer is tiny and can get very hot!

I have stayed several times and they know me so perhaps they are more attentive at opening the door.

i don’t dismiss your observations as there is room for improvement. I love the room design, the location, the bar, the restaurant, the friendly staff and the vibe. It all keeps me coming back.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does anyone know if Le Meurice still has its scooter rental program for kids? or has that been discontinued? They also used to have little toys that kids could take out to the fountain in the Tuileries Gardens to play with...wondering if those perks are still around.

Also, does anyone know if the hotel is renovating the rooms again and moving away from the Philippe Starck design?

Last edited by SkyTeam777; Jan 4, 2024 at 7:48 am
Old Jan 4, 2024, 8:41 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please move on to a new thread as this one is quite long. The new thread is located at

Paris Luxury Hotels (Newest thread, started 1/24)

Thanks!

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.