Your 2019 Luxury Hotel Year in Review

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your 2019 Luxury Hotel Year in Review

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:11 am

Atlanta

My flight was diverted to Atlanta due to a thunder storm once but my luggage went directly to my destination. I ended up at Four Seasons for the night without being properly dressed. They were very accommodating and provided me with a hygiene kit for me to clean up. The next day, some hotel staff looked down on me and gave a look that I don't belong there. It was a very uncomfortable experience. Well another experience at another Four Seasons property was even terrible since a guest there look down on me and refused to engage a conversation with me. I was politely asking some directions and she acted as if she couldn't bothered. I know the rich and famous come here but sometimes they need to treat others respectfully no matter what.

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla

FS Atlanta -- OK. A little dark in the suite I had.

Last edited by Cole Smith; Jan 12, 2020 at 12:24 am
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:02 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by Cole Smith
My flight was diverted to Atlanta due to a thunder storm once but my luggage went directly to my destination. I ended up at Four Seasons for the night without being properly dressed. They were very accommodating and provided me with a hygiene kit for me to clean up. The next day, some hotel staff looked down on me and gave a look that I don't belong there. It was a very uncomfortable experience. Well another experience at another Four Seasons property was even terrible since a guest there look down on me and refused to engage a conversation with me. I was politely asking some directions and she acted as if she couldn't bothered. I know the rich and famous come here but sometimes they need to treat others respectfully no matter what.
Sounds terrible. But I guess there are arrogant people everywhere who judges people from how they look / dress up.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:04 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
2019 was a rather disappointing year for hotel stays. No new truly outstanding hotel I discovered. But then, I tend to go back to my old favourites in each city I frequently visit as I am familiar with them and as regular guests, I am assured of good service and attention.

I also have to say that as the years gone by, I find it is increasing how to find any property that impress me. Hardware might get more fanciful but service level is coming down, even in top tier properties. That fact that the hospitality industries suffer from high turn over makes this difficult.

The year ended with a terrible stay at the Ritz Carlton Bali, one of the worst I have tried.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:45 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by BENLEE

I also have to say that as the years gone by, I find it is increasing how to find any property that impress me. Hardware might get more fanciful but service level is coming down, even in top tier properties. That fact that the hospitality industries suffer from high turn over makes this difficult.
This may be a topic for another thread [mods please move if so?], but this comment is really interesting to me. I agree that in some cases service is declining. But how much of our ennui is due to familiarity with the routines and standards to which we have become accustomed? How many people can still recall that first spark of their love for travel? For me it was that first, crazy taxi ride through the streets of Rome on a brilliant June morning when I was ten years old. So unfamiliar to my unworldly child’s eyes and so beautiful. The day I forget that feeling will be the day I should stop travelling!

How do you maintain the spark?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BENLEE
2019 was a rather disappointing year for hotel stays. No new truly outstanding hotel I discovered. But then, I tend to go back to my old favourites in each city I frequently visit as I am familiar with them and as regular guests, I am assured of good service and attention.

The year ended with a terrible stay at the Ritz Carlton Bali, one of the worst I have tried.
I agree. My list of favorites is dwindling each year due to ownership changes or employee movement.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Baghoarder
This may be a topic for another thread [mods please move if so?], but this comment is really interesting to me. I agree that in some cases service is declining. But how much of our ennui is due to familiarity with the routines and standards to which we have become accustomed? How many people can still recall that first spark of their love for travel? For me it was that first, crazy taxi ride through the streets of Rome on a brilliant June morning when I was ten years old. So unfamiliar to my unworldly child’s eyes and so beautiful. The day I forget that feeling will be the day I should stop travelling!

How do you maintain the spark?
I do agree with the overall sentiment of this post. On this Forum I've lost count of the number reports about uber-luxury hotels and resorts where the writer has been disappointed with some service lapse or other or a lack of maintenance etc etc. If you are paying many 1000 per night then I understand this but I also believe some people visit a hotel simply to winkle out every shortcoming they can find. I'm very low maintenance and don't really care about these service things very much. I think most luxury hotels - and also many 'destination' three-star Michelin restaurants - have all become wearingly predictable and take a lot of people for suckers.

How do you maintain the spark? You can't. The light went out years ago. Although I still have a few bucket-list places which might rekindle that flame. I really like the image of the small boy whizzing around Rome in a taxi.
livefromtuscany likes this.

Last edited by Pausanias; Jan 13, 2020 at 12:25 pm
Old Jan 13, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by Pausanias
I do agree with the overall sentiment of this post. On this Forum I've lost count of the number reports about uber-luxury hotels and resorts where the writer has been disappointed with some service lapse or other or a lack of maintenance etc etc. If you are paying many 1000 per night then I understand this but I also believe some people visit a hotel simply to winkle out every shortcoming they can find. I'm very low maintenance and don't really care about these service things very much. I think most luxury hotels - and also many 'destination' three-star Michelin restaurants - have all become wearingly predictable and take a lot of people for suckers.

How do you maintain the spark? You can't. The light went out years ago. Although I still have a few bucket-list places which might rekindle that flame. I really like the image of the small boy whizzing around Rome in a taxi.
Small girl
Pausanias likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 4:10 pm

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Pausanias

Well said, fully agreed. But I think regardless of how expensive a hotel is, there will always be imperfections, because perfection is subjective. I'm happy as long as room keeping finishes up in the 1.5 hours I spend at breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.