Your 2019 Luxury Hotel Year in Review

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your 2019 Luxury Hotel Year in Review

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:38 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
I travel much less since Pierre is not here anymore.
This year:
- Hotel Bel Air - one of my favorite hotel in the world. Over the years we tried canyon suites which are nice but overpriced, the Herb Garden suite which is amazing, and even basic rooms with patio in the clasic part are ok. The heated swimming pool is gorgeous.
- Bulgari London - still my favorite hotel in London, again for the beautiful swimming pool
- Amanjena - Maison Jardin #42 has the best swimming pool, it was built after the initial set of pavillons / maisons and I like it is slightly remote from other rooms.
- Marina Bay Sands - not a luxury hotel but I went there with a friend who was willing to try the pool. It was a nice surprise, I was expecting terrible service but actually staying in a suite makes it acceptable. The swimming pool is not busy between 11am and 3pm (when guests staying one-night only are not there)/
- Bawah Reserve - absolute bliss. I loved it!
- Aman Venice - I did not see the new GM, but the concierge team is still there and I like the residential feel. Going with the Aman boat to Torcello to have lunch at Locanda Cipriani is a must.

Final trip of the year will be Four Seasons Budapest, it will be my first visit, I can't wait
Sad that Pierre is not around any more .

Loved Amanjena too - overdue for return visit . Wonder if Lorenzo was still there when you stayed .

Good to know about MBS during your stay , visited the rooms where some relatives were staying awhile back & the ones they were in were decent enough . The late chocolate desserts buffet near the iconic pool was really a delicious spread too .

How is the AC at Bawah Reserve ?

AmanCGV concierge team is super

Thrilled that your 2019 finale is FS Gresham Palace, Budapest

Last edited by FlyerEC; Dec 19, 2019 at 6:08 am
Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
The Amanjena rave reviews are interesting. I've heard the rooms are rather worn, and location not as ideal. A lot of people seem to prefer the Royal Mansour and La Mamounia over it. I'm going to RAK for the first time in a few weeks and plan to stay at the RM, but could switch to Amenjena if compelling enough...
Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:57 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I've seen that sentiment in this forum a few times re RC Singapore, but personally I don't find the rooms dated at all. What elements of the rooms do you think need a refresh? For sure agree re. RC HKG ^
The decor is quite dated IMO (the HUGE sofa for instance). Some of the colour choices are a bit bizarre (mostly the carpet, also an issue for HK Ritz-Carlton). And there's quite a bit of wear and tear - bath tub leaking (last year), floorboards creaking (last year).

This might be room specific, because my room this time was much better than last year (similar overall issues, but the wear and tear issue wasn't there).

I'm increasingly enjoying each visit though, and the views help (and weather has always been great when I'm there).
Old Dec 19, 2019, 6:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by sophialite
The Amanjena rave reviews are interesting. I've heard the rooms are rather worn, and location not as ideal. A lot of people seem to prefer the Royal Mansour and La Mamounia over it. I'm going to RAK for the first time in a few weeks and plan to stay at the RM, but could switch to Amenjena if compelling enough...
My last visit there was 5+ year ago, but I HATED La Mamounia, there is no comparison between Amanjena and La Mamounia, Amanjena all the way.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 6:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
The decor is quite dated IMO (the HUGE sofa for instance). Some of the colour choices are a bit bizarre (mostly the carpet, also an issue for HK Ritz-Carlton). And there's quite a bit of wear and tear - bath tub leaking (last year), floorboards creaking (last year).

This might be room specific, because my room this time was much better than last year (similar overall issues, but the wear and tear issue wasn't there).

I'm increasingly enjoying each visit though, and the views help (and weather has always been great when I'm there).
Hmmm, I have never had any of the issues with decay/excessive wear. IIRC the carpets are just beige, no? I like the light wood color of the majority of the room. I don't mind a huge sofa! . Also love the bathtubs and the nice views from the tub.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by sophialite
They have refurbished all the rooms/Maisons at Amanjena, without changing the original iconic look - new headboards, runners, better fitting french doors. Still with long-time Aman GM, Nicolas, who is excellent.

Royal Mansour may look beautiful, but staying in one of their 3-storey riads, with their tiny rooms and endless staircases, is not enjoyable. Good food there, for sure, but I would much rather stay at Amanjena.

La Mamounia will close for 3 months next year for a major refurbishment. Bit big for what luxury travellers are looking for these days.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
A few Q:
1. How many days for Pulo? Worry about getting bored as it seems there's not much to do.
2. Where in Palawan and how did you get there from Pulo? I went to El Nido in '18 but required flight to Puerto Princessa and a long overland.
3. How was Amanoi, heard some issue (I think) about excessive winds maybe?
4. Have upcoming stays at RC Kyoto and Tokyo, sounds like you've been. Thoughts? Also any thoughts on Hoshinoya Kyoto? Tawaraya booked up before we could get in, so it was our 2nd choice.

Thx!
1. We were there 4 nights, but arrived late afternoon and departed early morning. We weren't bored and we would have enjoyed another day. Keep in mind we requested a unique unoffered excursion to Palawan that took an entire day as well. I think had we not done the excursion 4 nights is perfect.

2. I believe we did El Nido. We worked with Amanpulo and they arranged a small private cesna that took us to the landing strip in El Nido, and from there we took a boat excursion to different little islands. It was incredible. I believe we were guinea pigs as Amanpulo is trying to see if they can make it an official excursion.

3. Amanoi was excellent. To date, it's our favorite resort Aman (been to Amanpulo, Amanpuri, and Amanoi) (Aman Tokyo is our favorite city). I will say you don't really go to Amanoi for the beach, it's more the area, incredible design, and service. The microclimate reminded us of South Africa, and the hiking was really fun. Service for us was a mixed bag due to the wedding I mentioned, but when I mentioned it to Joy they worked really hard to make it right, and they totally redeemed it.

4. We stayed at RC Tokyo during our honeymoon and it was excellent. Make sure to get a club room at least. RC Tokyo concierge was better imo than Aman's. They let us us their Rolls Royce Phantom to get to and from our dinner restaurants. Had a great time. We haven't stayed in the RC Kyoto but I've heard only good things. I don't love ryokans in Kyoto because I like to stay at ones with natural onsens, so I can't comment there. We will be doing the Suiran this time around as I had enough points.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
I did 5 nights at Amanpulo earlier this year and found the amount of time to be absolutely perfect. We normally get a bit stir-crazy (20's couple, FWIW), but 5 nights really felt great.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I'm a points loyalist so I rarely pay out of pocket, so here's my travel for the year:

Kimpton Seafire Grand Cayman - B- Not true luxury (But priced as one at ~$800 USD per night!). Nice resort overall with great views, but crowded and *very* overpriced for what it is.
Ritz-Carlton, Atlanta - B- Refresh was nice so the room is modern, but very crowded as well. More business-like Ritz-Carlton, views are meh in the middle of downtown Atlanta.

Gritti Palace, Venice - B+ Old world luxury, but somehow I'm less impressed than others at this hotel. Fantastic location and very tasteful decor. Felt a bit too claustrophobic for my tastes, but that's up to personal preference.
St Regis, Rome - A- Superb renovation and very impressive rooms. Newly renovated. Service was great, left us some memorable gifts.
St Regis, Florence - A- Fantastic views and very tasteful decor.
Andaz Munich - A- Modern and great

Andaz, Tokyo - A- Still one of my favorite hotels. Hard product has held up excellently over the past 5 years. Amazing views, location could be slightly better.
Prince Gallery ,Tokyo - B+ Gone downhill since the property got bonvoyed. Stingier breakfast, room upgrades, stingier everything. Hard product is still good but it doesnt have the timelessness that Andaz has.
Park Hyatt, Kyoto A Amazing hard product. Soft product was decent but could be improved. But the interior/exterior design of the hotel is utterly gorgeous. Japanese breakfast is very generous. But wow, this has to be one of the most beautiful hotels I've visited
Suiran, Kyoto - A- Still good, but I feel like it's a bit of a downgrade after the Park Hyatt. Slightly less generous in everything.

Park Hyatt Maldives - A Just wow. House reef is incredible.
levilevi likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Loved Amanjena too - overdue for return visit . Wonder if Lorenzo was still there when you stayed .
How is the AC at Bawah Reserve ?
Can’t remember for Lorenzo, I have a terrible memory with names. Shame on me
AC at Bawah is not great. Basically it’s a unit located behind the bed. But the Robinson feel, the food, the hikes, the water, the views, everything was superb. I was initially worried about BR being too rustic for me, especially the bathroom, and it turned out to be really really good.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 2:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
Can’t remember for Lorenzo, I have a terrible memory with names. Shame on me
AC at Bawah is not great. Basically it’s a unit located behind the bed. But the Robinson feel, the food, the hikes, the water, the views, everything was superb. I was initially worried about BR being too rustic for me, especially the bathroom, and it turned out to be really really good.

Lorenzo is an excellent Chef , if you recall a warm and funny guy , it is him - quite a character .

Bawah sounds like too warm for us though it will be interesting to visit during a “ cooler ” month , if there is one
Thanks for the information

Will stick with N’oi or Pulo
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:48 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Here's my year in review

-PH Saigon - beautiful suites and pretty solid service, significantly better looking than the Reverie...

-Belmond Governors Residence Yangon - nice rustic feel to it with beautiful and lush grouds, reminded me a lot of a resort I went to as a kid. Service was quite good, especially the GM cocktail reception and the full day Yangon tour I got from one of the hotel staff

-Fullerton Bay - stay for the views and hard product

-RC Pentagon City - RC hotels continue to underwhelm me, very attractive rates though

-Shangri-La Sydney - bigger rooms than the FS where I stayed last time, which was really I was looking for

EDIT:
-PH Melbourne - quite average, I forgot it when I first typed this out...

Might still have a stay at the Rosewood HK in the next week or so

Last edited by United747; Dec 19, 2019 at 7:56 pm
Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
They have refurbished all the rooms/Maisons at Amanjena, without changing the original iconic look - new headboards, runners, better fitting french doors. Still with long-time Aman GM, Nicolas, who is excellent.

Royal Mansour may look beautiful, but staying in one of their 3-storey riads, with their tiny rooms and endless staircases, is not enjoyable. Good food there, for sure, but I would much rather stay at Amanjena.

La Mamounia will close for 3 months next year for a major refurbishment. Bit big for what luxury travellers are looking for these days.
Genuinely undecided about whether to stay at Amanjena vs. Royal Mansour, and have a reservation at RM right now. Wonder if I will regret it...

Edit: Turns out it's unavailable for my dates, so the decision's been made for me. All good.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 3:09 am

This thread is a great snapshot - here's my contribution:

Arusha Coffee Lodge, Elewana Collection - B+. Rooms were nice but the toiletries could be better. Lots of mosquitoes. Food not great, but few options in the area.
The Manor at Ngorongoro, Elewana Collection - A. Beautiful grounds, great butler. It was difficult to get the right temperature for the water and the bath drawn was a nice touch but way too hot.
Sanctuary Kichakani - A for hardware given that it's a tent after all, A+ for service (not the most polished but so warm and friendly).
&beyond Kichwa Tembo - A. Bataleur was booked out, but Kichwa Tembo isn't too shabby either although less personal due to the number of rooms. Had excellent beef and staff arranged a lovely private dinner for us.
Babylonstoren - A+. Excellent room, first time I've had 2 full bathtubs in a room. Beautiful grounds and great activities which should be booked far in advance especially the 4x4 tour (only 5? spots a day). Excellent breakfast - farm fresh and great variety.
Kyukaruizawa Kikyo, Curio Collection - A+. Fantastic service, massive room (for Japan). Also excellent breakfast with local produce; local wine on the house almost all day for HH members.
Andaz Tokyo - A+. The location is not as convenient as I would have liked, but loved the hard product. There was some miscommunication re breakfast but the assistant manager was kind enough to waive the costs.
10 Karakoy Istanbul - C+. Great location. However, room was small and not well maintained, poor toiletries. Card addressed to another guest left in our room and front desk was friendly but kept forgetting our requests.

x CK
levilevi likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 5:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by United747

-RC Pentagon City - RC hotels continue to underwhelm me, very attractive rates though

-Shangri-La Sydney - bigger rooms than the FS where I stayed last time, which was really I was looking for

EDIT:
-PH Melbourne - quite average, I forgot it when I first typed this out...
Sadly I have to agree, RC in general seem to be declining badly. They often don't offer much more (if anything) than a Marriott but at multiples of the price. Sad because they used to be great hotels. The Shangri-La in SYD has a great breakfast buffet as I recall. Unfortunate to hear re PH Melbs, I am going to be there in January. Oh well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.