Your 2019 Luxury Hotel Year in Review

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your 2019 Luxury Hotel Year in Review

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:20 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Greenwich Hotel New York - stayed during New York Fashion Week when the hotel was at its full capacity. Although I really like the style of the rooms, overall this hotel was not impressive. Service at bar was very slow and massage at the spa was just so so. One of the ceiling lights in the bathroom was broken on the second night but never got fixed.

I'm glad you wrote about this.

I just completed my first stay at the Greenwich. I was double upgraded to a fireplace corner suite. The suite was good and I was surprised by the number of technological additions to an otherwise... "rustic" decor. But the suite was also basic, which made me worried because: (1) I was upgraded, which presumably means the suite I booked was worse, and therefore that if I want to stay in the future I would need to book this room or hope for an upgrade again; (2) because the rack rate of this particular room was over $2k per night.

There's good celebrity watching at the hotel, but service is lacking. Getting food/drink in the common areas takes effort. And the hotel in general is so poorly lit (and intentionally so) that it makes it difficult to be productive in the common areas. If I wanted to sit down in the drawing room and get work done, for example, I'd likely feel compelled to take a nap instead, especially there was no pro-active service that come to me, jar me awake and take an order.

Anyways, now I'm more confused as ever about where to stay in NYC. It might have to be back to the CSH...
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:27 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
JW Marriott Delhi -- India, so a different set of rules need to be applied. Solid, with weak food. B- maybe?

Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe (Incline, NV) -- Actually got one of the cottages this time. I like this hotel, but it is on the lower edge of luxury by the measure of this forum. The Lone Eagle Grill is one of my favorite bars in the world and makes up for the underwhelming aspects of the hotel.

FS SF (2x) -- In SF, you choose the hotel that sucks the least. For me that is FS as I have never liked the St. Regis nearby. The restaurant/bar has become more comfortable and less of an over-carbonated local pick up joint. The rooms are OK. I had to walk from the FS to Moscone West (2.5 blocks) ... and counted 38 homeless. One of 'em asked me for $4 to get some strawberries.

FS LV -- Remains my choice in Vegas.

FS Denver -- OK, although nowhere near as good as when it first opened. I miss the sushi bar. And the restaurant closes very early.

Le Blanc Cancun (2x) -- We've settled on Cancun after multiple *disastrous* Thanksgiving stays at FS Hualalai. Although the rooms are terrible, this all-inclusive deserves to be on this forum, easily beating RC, Belmond Maroma, Hyatt Zilara, and Nizuc. They don't do a good job of keeping the timeshare resources separated from the hotel.

FS Atlanta -- OK. A little dark in the suite I had.

Lydmar Stockholm -- OK, but declining. Doris the famous dog had died. I remain puzzled by the good reviews of Ett Hem. I hated the place.

71 Nyhavn Hotel Copenhagen -- Awful in every measure. 'Service', meaning anything related to the bars/restaurant/room/turndown, appeared to be optional. The room was dark and noisy with no privacy. It would have been a poor choice as a broom closet.

Resort at Squaw Creek -- OK, but below what we call luxury here.

He who must not be named and is Orange Hotel Chicago -- Good as always. I like this hotel.

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Jan 3, 2020 at 2:21 pm
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by sophialite

I just completed my first stay at the Greenwich. I was double upgraded to a fireplace corner suite. The suite was good and I was surprised by the number of technological additions to an otherwise... "rustic" decor. But the suite was also basic, which made me worried because: (1) I was upgraded, which presumably means the suite I booked was worse, and therefore that if I want to stay in the future I would need to book this room or hope for an upgrade again; (2) because the rack rate of this particular room was over $2k per night.

There's good celebrity watching at the hotel, but service is lacking. Getting food/drink in the common areas takes effort. And the hotel in general is so poorly lit (and intentionally so) that it makes it difficult to be productive in the common areas. If I wanted to sit down in the drawing room and get work done, for example, I'd likely feel compelled to take a nap instead, especially there was no pro-active service that come to me, jar me awake and take an order.

Anyways, now I'm more confused as ever about where to stay in NYC. It might have to be back to the CSH...
While personally I love staying downtown, esp. Tribeca, when travelling on business meeting investors Midtown is normally more efficient. There, the Park Hyatt has beautiful rooms and wins me over by its (especially for NYC) fabulous pool that even allows for proper exercise and gym. The restaurant situation hasn’t been ideal for a while, but they do a good yoghurt parfait for breakfast and dining out in NYC is more fun anyway. Room doors could be slightly better insulated, but overall it‘s not a bad place if you can live with the location.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by sw1x
While personally I love staying downtown, esp. Tribeca, when travelling on business meeting investors Midtown is normally more efficient. There, the Park Hyatt has beautiful rooms and wins me over by its (especially for NYC) fabulous pool that even allows for proper exercise and gym. The restaurant situation hasn’t been ideal for a while, but they do a good yoghurt parfait for breakfast and dining out in NYC is more fun anyway. Room doors could be slightly better insulated, but overall it‘s not a bad place if you can live with the location.
The problem is all my work when in NYC is downtown. And all my play time is downtown too.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:02 pm

The problem is all my work when in NYC is downtown. And all my play time is downtown too.
While not quite luxury, in the area I used to love the Smyth Hotel on W Broadway, cnr of Chambers St. when it was still Thompson. They have two floors where rooms have individual roof terraces, all of them more than adequate in size, a few even large. Was great for getting some work done sitting outside (or a sundowner when in the right company). The terraces constitute a kind of luxury in their own right in my book.
It has changed affiliation to aka Hotels, though, and I haven’t had the guts yet to return.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
St Regis Deer Valley - A: It has been a very long time since I have stayed at a ski hotel since I have been staying in houses for probably the last 15 years, but it was a great stay. Within DV, I think the StR has the best location to easily access Park city, but the Stein and Montage are better for skiing. The spa is great and empty, the Apres ski activities fun and the breakfast is solid. The ski setup in the morning is also great. booked using the old Bonvoy points rates and this was a steal, though this is nowhere near worth some of the rates I see online (>$2k per night is crazy)

Gwen Chicago - C: This is part of the "luxury collection" but it is not a luxury hotel, especially in a market like Chicago. It is fine, but do not expect luxury

Hotel Romazzino (Porto Cervo) - B+: We were upgraded to a suite but otherwise this would probably have been a B-. Our suite was great, the beach is solid for Europe and I enjoy the outdoor gym. That being said, there is nothing special about this hotel except for the location. Again used points so it was a good deal, but would never pay the rates. the buffet is huge, but found the quality to be lacking. If we were to return, would much prefer a stay at Cala di Volpe where we found the buffet to be of higher quality and liked the beach a bit better

Belmond Caruso (Ravello) - A-: Really liked this hotel and loved Ravello. Even in July, the evenings in Ravello were calm and relaxing, just a great break. The food was top notch. One thing to note is that the pool in July is not quite as relaxing as the picture would suggest considering all of the families that come there.

Il San Pietro (Positano) - A+: Loved this hotel and would stay again in a heartbeat. Just superb. the grounds, amenities, food, view, room. Everything was top notch with perfect service. Cannot recommend highly enough

Le Sirenuse - C: In terms of things that the hotel itself can control, this would probably be an A. Loved our room, the food was great, pool is nice and service overall was good. In terms of location it is an F. Nothing relaxing about watching the pool boys constantly have to shoo-away wannabe instragram influencers trying to take a selfie in front of you. Prices are also too high when compared to ISP down the road

Miraval Austin - B: Not quite ready for prime time, but I enjoyed it. Food was good and varied enough, rooms are nicely designed with wonderful views of the hills and amazing beds. They need to refine the activities programs

Kalundewa Retreat (Sri Lanka) - B: Loved the grounds, the room design and the excursions and guide. However the service needs to tighten up a bit and they may need to just hire some more people. It was a little bit too much of people just saying yes to our requests but then not actually delivering. Not sure where is better in the Dambulla area, and would recommend this.

Amanwella - A-: Loved the location and setting and enjoyed our room as well. Thought the food was fantastic. Service issues at part of the hotels given that the hotel was fully-booked over the holiday period. Things that would not be that big of an issue at other hotels, but should not be allowed at an Aman. Also, the beach is not private.

Amangalla - A+: This is our second time back and we just love this hotel. So calming and relaxing. Our chamber on the 3rd floor was great with huge ceilings and nice views. Food is fantastic and the new GM is really eager and consistently present. Bonus marks for free use of the private baths

Park Hyatt Jeddah - B: Not nearly up to the same level as other PH in the chain. My guess is that the market it is in probably has a lot to do with it. Service is very hit or miss depending on who you are speaking with. Breakfast buffet is great, dinner was weak. the gym and spa are great for a city hotel.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:30 pm

Park Hyatt New York (8.5): pretty rooms, brilliant pool & gym, better sound insulation would make it even better. If I have to stay in Midtown, this is my go-to option.

Langham New York (8): nice room design, gym ok, not my favourite location.

The Plaza, New York (5): serious capex required. Terrible carpet in room. Hated every bit of it.

Langham Chicago (9): top notch pretty much everywhere, slick to almost a bit sterile.

The Liberty, Boston (6): too busy, poor bathroom design, starting to feel tired.

Ritz Carlton Boston (6): bland, non-descript, feels its age.

W Boston (5): not luxury, tired, ugly.

Shangri-La Toronto (8): good hardware, calling for some maintenance ever so slightly.

Langham London (7.5): don’t touch lowest category rooms which are tiny and have aged a bit. Renovated larger rooms very pleasant, good lounge, good pool and gym. Roux as a great restaurant - and bars of Soho (and Little Social in Mayfair) around the corner.

Andaz London (7): nicely renovated and convenient enough when a city location is called for (not my favourite part of town)

Mandarin Oriental Paris (7.5): obscenely priced for what it offers. Good, but wouldn’t go back.

Sofitel The Grand, Amsterdam (7): good location, rooms a bit dusty.

Park Hyatt Mallorca (8): beautiful rooms, quiet and classy. Pool a bit on the small side, but good breakfast and tasty tapas at nights.

Park Hyatt Hamburg (8.5): charming, friendly, lovely rooms, good pool and gym, reflects its locale with understated luxury, great value, classy, one of my favourites.

Grand Hyatt Berlin (8): public areas starting to show their age a bit. However, surprisingly personable service for a hotel this size, gorgeous rooftop pool, good gym and nicely laid out rooms with smart bathroom design.

Hotel Zoo, Berlin (7): a stylish boutique alternative, arguably upmarket, but not luxury, with great Western Berlin location. Opt for larger category rooms. Sometimes questionable clientele in locally popular bar.

Villa Kennedy Frankfurt (8): as PH in Hamburg reflects its locale well, understated and classy with good pool and gym.

Andaz Munich (8): brand new, good modern design, great pool. Location B only. Still currently my preferred option in Munich, beating The Charles as better bang for the buck.

Sofitel Frankfurt (6.5): brand new and nice room layout, but very bling. Impossible to reach other floors than your own without stopping by front desk which makes it a nuisance when travelling with colleagues that haven’t been accommodated on the same floor.

Westin Cape Town (7) : large and corporate with a bit of capex requirement. Very good breakfast buffet, lovely views and good gym, though make it solid option when on business.

MannaBay, Cape Town (10): Small boutique with individually designed rooms, great views and relaxed yet sophisticated atmosphere and service.

Babylonstoren, Franschhoek (9): beautiful grounds, captivating farm-(to-table) concept, pretty rooms.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:24 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by sw1x
The Plaza, New York (5): serious capex required. Terrible carpet in room. Hated every bit of it.
You sure about giving The Plaza a 5?
Seems high ...
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
You sure about giving The Plaza a 5?
Seems high ...
i can follow your reasoning. You can argue it’s less.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:23 pm

I stayed in a studio suite which is two tiers below the fireplace corner suite, so probably the room that you originally booked. The suite was actually quite cosy, and about the right size if you are travelling solo. However, there was no view at all as it faces the rear window of a nearby apartment building. I have heard good things about Four Seasons Downtown, but have not stayed personally.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:16 pm

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Jermyn
Amanbagh C

Constant sales pitch from staff pushing for ‘special’ dinners on almost every interaction. No coffee machine in room. Air con points straight at your face in bed. Gaps around doors let mosquitoes in, electrical socket came out of the wall when unplugging a device. Air con barely functional in the gym. Best F&B of any hotel we encountered in India and a beautiful pool are not enough to justify the price or service/hardware failings.
Interesting. We stayed the year before (also at Aman-i-Khas) and our experience was very different. We were not pitched anything even once...that would have annoyed me to no end. I think I rated that stay as a solid A.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 5:21 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
An unusual 2019 for us. We took a break from African safaris in this past year (although we intend to return to Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe this year), and have already stayed at every Aman we care to visit. Here's a small sampling of our take on some of our stays in 2019.

Caiman Ecological Refuge (Southern Pantanal) A+
Our highlight of 2019. Approaches Africa level of hardware, sophistication, food and service. We hired a private guide and also participated in two amazing private excursions: the Onçafari Project Jaguar habituation, and the Hyacinth Macaw Project, both of which were entertaining, educational and provided intimate moments with some of the world's most charismatic birds and animals. Saw 7 different Jaguars over the course of 3 full days there.

Sankara Hotel & Spa Yakushima A+
The quality of the French-inspired cuisine at Restaurant Okas rivals the best in the world. The fresh-baked bread at breakfast is to die for. The Sankara Villa suite is super spacious and private (104 square meters). Very nice outdoor pool. Service is attentive and very polished - you can tell that the staff really enjoyed working there and took great pride in their work. On-premise rental car service was very convenient. Sankara is pricey, but it's definitely worth it. We definitely consider Yakushima itself as a "bucket-list" destination.

Fazenda Barranco Alto (Southern Pantanal) A
An incredible place. Super remote, serene and unbelievably beautiful. Rooms are not on Caiman's level, but if you stay in one of the rooms in a duplex in a separate building along the lake, you probably won't be wanting for much more. We also really enjoyed our outing with the world's foremost Giant Anteater researcher, Lydia Mocklinghoff. Also saw Tapir, two species of Armadillos, Crab-eating Foxes, Tayra and much, much more.

Borneo Rainforest Lodge A
Our second visit, and even better than before, thanks to their new Villas that come with (actually useful) butler service and a private guide. Not as easy to come across Orangutans in the wild (compared to Chimps and Mountain Gorillas), but with 3 nights there you'd be relatively unlucky not to spot at least one of these charismatic great apes.

Lamp No Yado (Noto Peninsula) A
Beautiful property, wonderful food, fabulous scenery. A bit of a haul to get there, but plenty to do in the area if you rent a car and drive around. The property itself is only accessible to guests, giving it a very private feel. A real sense of place (and history.)

Hanamurasaki (Yamashiro Onsen) A-
Equal to Kayotei, which is a stone's throw away. The Comfort Suite Haru-1 is the room to get. Food ordering is confusing - you get "points" that are included in the room rate, and each dish is assigned points. If you exceed the allotted points you pay the extra out of pocket. They have a massive menu so it can be a major challenge for people that are unfamiliar with Japanese cuisine (even to us it took us a better part of an hour to decide on our choices.) Curiously, Zuwai gani (crab) sashimi was not on the menu, but we asked for it and they delivered. Should be on there, though!

Nishimuraya Honkan Kinosaki Onsen A-
Best... crab... ever. Went during Matsuba-gani season and the dining experience was superb. We booked last minute and they only had a lead-in room available, so hard to compare the hardware with, say, Gora Kadan, Hakone Ginyu, Beniya Mukayu or Lamp No Yado. I found that Kinosaki Onsen to be a much more charming town than Hakone, Izu, Shima or Kaga Onsen.

Belmond Hotel das Cataratas A-
In need of a refurb, but wonderful service, beautiful grounds, exclusive early/late access to Iguaçu and good food make up for this minor shortcoming. We stayed in the top suite (Master Cataracas Suite), which was decent but not large. Exceeded expectations, and would gladly return.

Palace Hotel (Tokyo) A-
A legit luxury hotel in one of the most competitive luxury hotel cities. Among properties in the Marunouchi area, it has newer hardware than MO, and is a better value than Aman.

Jicaro Island Ecolodge (Lake Nicaragua) B+
Rustically charming resort on a small island on Lake Nicaragua. Good food and great cocktails (especially rum-based ones.) Room is decent but not on par with Mukul or some of the finer small resorts in Mexico. A wide variety of activities that range from cloud forest hikes, artisanal fishing, bird watching, island hopping, kayaking, paddle boarding, ziplining, Granada street food tour, volcano lava experience at night. You can be as chill or as active as you want to be. One drawback. The size of the island is barely adequate for the property - as a result, the grounds are not as expansive as one would like it to be.

The Xara Palace (Malta) B+
Usually stay at IC or Westin for work, but decided to check it out after 10 of the 17 rooms underwent a major renovation in 2018. Go for one of the rooms on the higher floors (on the bastion side), as they offer great views over the island.

Hotel Pantanal Norte - Porto Jofre B
Not luxury, but by (Northern) Pantanal standards, it is probably as good as it gets. But how's this for luxury... in 5 outings over 3 days, we saw 11 Jaguars. You're not going to get that anywhere else in the world. THE place to see them in the wild, even if it's from a boat. If you want to seek and follow Jaguars by vehicle (and stay at a true luxury lodge at the same time), then Caiman Ecological Refuge is the place to go.

FS São Paulo at Nações Unidas B
Fresh and new, but service is still a work-in-progress. Some check-in experiences, and concierge was eager but not very useful. The overall experience was not particularly memorable.

Hotel Bristol (Warsaw) B
A solid Luxury Collection property and a true "grand dame." Relatively fresh, but our Executive Room was quite small, and breakfast was merely adequate.

The Lodge & Spa at Pico Bonito (Honduras) B-
Rooms are a bit small, and service can be a bit unpolished and indifferent at times. But it's the only lodge situated within Pico Bonito N.P. and the birding is exceptional - better than our experiences in Costa Rica, Belize or Panama. Rainforest & beaches/islands combo - without having to switch properties - is hard to beat.

The Shilla (Seoul) B-
The much-needed renovation has given it a shot in the arm, but still not world class. Not a bad choice in a city that's still searching for a real flagship property.

Yuzuya Ryokan Kanazawa Ryokusone B-
Food is second to none. Unfortunately, rooms are blah and there is no property grounds to speak of. There's plenty to see and do around Kanazawa, so not a major issue. We're still searching for a good, go-to option in Kanazawa that ticks all (or even most) of our boxes.

RC Central Park B-
Dated rooms and so-so service. Saving grace is its convenient location. A decent option for a points-based stay.

RC Hong Kong B-
Spectacular views, solid service but rooms in need of a refresh. A decent value in HK (especially right now.)

Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa (Kota Kinabalu) C+
Nothing wrong with it, except that it's not really luxury. A (relatively) high-end property catering to the packaged tour crowd. Pretty property grounds, though.

Waldorf Astoria Las Vegas C
Service has really gone downhill since the transition from MO to WA management. Will go back to staying at the FS moving forward.

Last edited by KI-NRT; Jan 8, 2020 at 12:29 am
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:42 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Martellus
Kimpton Seafire Grand Cayman - B- Not true luxury (But priced as one at ~$800 USD per night!). Nice resort overall with great views, but crowded and *very* overpriced for what it is.
I stayed there last year too. It's certainly expensive but can be a very good deal on IHG points. I was offended by the $70 daily resort fee especially as one day I was there it thunderstormed the whole day and there was no resorting to be had. I think I liked it a little more than you though as I'd give it a B+
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:18 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
Il San Pietro (Positano) - A+: Loved this hotel and would stay again in a heartbeat. Just superb. the grounds, amenities, food, view, room. Everything was top notch with perfect service. Cannot recommend highly enough

Le Sirenuse - C: In terms of things that the hotel itself can control, this would probably be an A. Loved our room, the food was great, pool is nice and service overall was good. In terms of location it is an F. Nothing relaxing about watching the pool boys constantly have to shoo-away wannabe instragram influencers trying to take a selfie in front of you. Prices are also too high when compared to ISP down the road

Totally agree with this comparison. Le Sirenuse is overrated and overpriced I think.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
An unsual 2019 for us. We took a break from African safaris in this past year (although we intend to return to Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe this year), and have already stayed at every Aman we care to visit. Here's a small sampling of our take on some of our stays in 2019.

The Shilla (Seoul) B-
The much-needed renovation has given it a shot in the arm, but still not world class. Not a bad choice in a city that's still searching for a real flagship property.
The flagship luxury property in Seoul would be the FS, even, with the recent cuts in F&B quality and club offerings.

Shilla is building a hanok Korean hotel on their property but the hotel is still really geared to rich Koreans than foreign tourists.

Last edited by Aventine; Jan 5, 2020 at 9:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.