Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Hotels and restaurants in Lima, Peru

Old Feb 25, 13, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold | Club Carlson Gold | Le Club Platinum | British Airways Silver | * Alliance Gold |

Ok, here goes.

I will be traveling to South America for the first time now in April.
Since i will be traveling alone and its my first visit to South America overall added to my age of just 22 i want some good recommendations of great hotels in Lima.

Here is a list of "+" for me:

* Staff that speaks English on a decent level.
* Staff that can help with tours/guides.
* Walking distance to stores/shops. (Not a must but a plus)
* Close to museums, parks etc.
* Safe area
* 4-5 star hotel with high standards.
* Pickup at the airport (not a must)

Anybody got some recommendations?
I have no idea what to choose, Hilton?

I have Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, CC Gold and GHA Platinum.

Travel dates: 11-17 April.

Last edited by FirstClassSE; Feb 25, 13 at 1:04 pm
Old Feb 25, 13, 2:06 pm

Miraflores Park is the best hotel in Lima.
Old Feb 25, 13, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold | Club Carlson Gold | Le Club Platinum | British Airways Silver | * Alliance Gold |
Originally Posted by speedbird001 View Post
Miraflores Park is the best hotel in Lima.
Looks sold out. :/

Looks great though.
Old Feb 25, 13, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by FirstClassSE View Post
Looks sold out. :/

Looks great though.
Perhaps you phoned or had an agent phone and get this information, but if it's based on online availability, I would not trust that. I don't know this hotel in particular, but the availability situation in real life is often different than on the Internet.
Old Feb 26, 13, 11:35 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Miraflores area is the most famous.... my friend who lives in Peru is very excited about the new Hotel B in the "Barranco" part of town. 17 room upscale boutique hotel. They are looking at a soft open around 1 April
Old Apr 13, 19, 10:09 am
Community Director

What is the best hotel in Lima these days?

What about excellent restaurants? I understand Lima has become a foodie destination.
Old Apr 13, 19, 11:12 am
Community Director

I've looked at the top 50 list for the World and top 50 for Latin America. It certainly answers my questions about there being a food scene in Lima. What do you think of their choices? Are there others you prefer? Also, many years ago, we ate at a Lima restaurant where we looked out at Mayan ruins. I loved the ambience. Any idea what the name is of the restaurant?

World:
  • Central - 6
  • Maido - 7
  • Astrid & Gaston - 30
Latin America - above plus the following:
  • Isolina - 13
  • Rafael - 16
  • Osso - 25
  • Malabar - 39
  • Amazing - 48
Old Apr 13, 19, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
What is the best hotel in Lima these days?
Hotel B gets my vote

SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Apr 13, 19, 1:14 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond (C) Hyatt Explorist (M)
We are currently booked at Miraflores in October but still have time to change if we wanted. Curious to learn more about B.

And we obviously havent secured restaurant reservations yet but were thinking Maido and Central.

@SanDiego1K GMTA
Old Apr 13, 19, 11:02 pm

We had a seriously bad stay at Hotel B last January. We checked in at 5pm and were given a nice welcome and a glass of champagne. They didn’t have our dinner reservation. Or anything else we had contacted them about. Never mind. They gave us room 130 which was spacious and light. We liked it. We unpacked a few things and got the room organised which took maybe 15 minutes. Then we went downstairs and left our key at the reception, thinking we would like a long walk. But the woman who checked us in now told us there was a big party with music right next to our room so she wanted us to change rooms.

Now, why on Earth did they only now realise this? This farce took half an hour to resolve, not what we wanted after a nightmare 4-hour drive from Paracas. Our next room, 230 I think, was dark, gloomy, and not nearly as good as our first room. The man who was assisting us said it was an upgrade because it had a balcony and that was what made it better. OK if you want to choke on the traffic fumes, I suppose. We declined this lousy room. So they gave us Suite 410 which was acceptable but still not as good as our first room. They said it was the best room in the house. Oh really? Air conditioning in all three rooms we ‘inspected’ was seriously noisy so we ended up switching it off to get some sleep. Everything about our room seemed get in our way. There was a desk but no power sockets which were miles away. The claw bath had a sharp metal foot that was guaranteed to break a toe if you wanted the lavatory at night. To figure out the lighting system you needed to have a Nobel Prize for science. We needed assistance to operate the blackout blinds which went up but not down. Etc etc etc. Everywhere totally bonkers design ruled over practicality. The room was seriously annoying.

We had dinner in their restaurant - a tiny, stuffy room with five tables and just six diners. You could also eat snacks at various other places which were basically just noisy bars with teeny-weeny tables. By this time the party was in full swing next to our original room. The rap/rock music in the bar beside the cramped restaurant was almost deafening. This was a seriously awful dining environment. The food was nothing special. I chose suckling pig with quince and pear and what arrived on the plate was a frazzled piece of pork, a thick dark brown smear and an underripe poached pear. It looked like something you regret stepping into on the pavement. My wife had a fish curry which wasn’t really a curry at all and came with Chinese-style fried rice. Weird. We only had one course as we hated the room so much.

The next morning Hotel B was a far happier prospect. The noisy hip-hop scene had vanished. The hotel is a virtual art gallery and so oppressively chic is it that I expect many guests regard themselves as works of art. The downstairs areas were appealing, though, and the breakfast room was exceptionally pretty. Great coffee and lovely blueberry pancakes made up for the previous evening’s disaster.

I regret not going to the Belmond place down the road. I thought Hotel B was everything that a Relais & Chateaux member shouldn't B.

Last edited by Pausanias; Apr 16, 19 at 7:17 am
Old Apr 20, 19, 6:59 pm

Programs: FD, Frequence, KrisFlyer, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
Also, many years ago, we ate at a Lima restaurant where we looked out at Mayan ruins. I loved the ambience. Any idea what the name is of the restaurant?
Possibly http://www.resthuacapucllana.com but maybe check your cultures
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jul 29, 19, 3:09 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond (C) Hyatt Explorist (M)
A quick update for anyone looking to score reservations at Central in Lima.

I reached out to the restaurant 2 weeks ago regarding the exact time reservations open. I have found that can make a difference on super hard to get reservations, with openings vanishing within a few hours of posting.

The hotel replied: "We release our opening dates every four months for periods of four months each, and our next one for September-December, will be released the 29th of July at 00 hours Peruvian time"

So last night I was dutifully sitting at my computer before midnight and was very surprised when by 12:30 am Peru time the schedule only went through August 31st.

I checked again when I woke up this morning and again a few times throughout the day. I finally determined that they must have meant midnight on 7/29 and was planning to try again tonight. Just for the heck of it I checked again around 3 PM Peru time and lo and behold Sept-Dec had opened and I was able to secure our reservation for October.

I thought it might be helpful to anyone trying in the future. Now I get to go through this again with Maido in a few weeks.
Old Aug 1, 19, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by damon88 View Post
A quick update for anyone looking to score reservations at Central in Lima.

I reached out to the restaurant 2 weeks ago regarding the exact time reservations open. I have found that can make a difference on super hard to get reservations, with openings vanishing within a few hours of posting.

The hotel replied: "We release our opening dates every four months for periods of four months each, and our next one for September-December, will be released the 29th of July at 00 hours Peruvian time"

So last night I was dutifully sitting at my computer before midnight and was very surprised when by 12:30 am Peru time the schedule only went through August 31st.

I checked again when I woke up this morning and again a few times throughout the day. I finally determined that they must have meant midnight on 7/29 and was planning to try again tonight. Just for the heck of it I checked again around 3 PM Peru time and lo and behold Sept-Dec had opened and I was able to secure our reservation for October.

I thought it might be helpful to anyone trying in the future. Now I get to go through this again with Maido in a few weeks.
I was also checking for Central and reservations seemed to open around 9 AM Peru time on Monday (29 July). Actually this info (the date, not the exact time) was on the reservations page if you'd tried making reservations earlier - it said pretty clearly that they would start accepting bookings for Sep-Nov on 29 July. Now it says bookings for Dec 22 onwards will open 25 Nov.

But anyway - it is possible to get a reservation for literally any date at that restaurant. Wide open both upcoming days in August and further out, so I didn't actually see what the big issue was with securing a reservation early.
EDIT: I just realized it shows availability and when you click through it says no availability but here are some other restaurants with availability - what a stupid system! In fact the date I booked at the end of October is totally sold out a few days on either side! So now I'm actually glad I did it right away.

Last edited by ung1; Aug 1, 19 at 3:45 am
Old Aug 3, 19, 2:12 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by ung1 View Post
I was also checking for Central and reservations seemed to open around 9 AM Peru time on Monday (29 July). Actually this info (the date, not the exact time) was on the reservations page if you'd tried making reservations earlier - it said pretty clearly that they would start accepting bookings for Sep-Nov on 29 July. Now it says bookings for Dec 22 onwards will open 25 Nov.

But anyway - it is possible to get a reservation for literally any date at that restaurant. Wide open both upcoming days in August and further out, so I didn't actually see what the big issue was with securing a reservation early.
EDIT: I just realized it shows availability and when you click through it says no availability but here are some other restaurants with availability - what a stupid system! In fact the date I booked at the end of October is totally sold out a few days on either side! So now I'm actually glad I did it right away.

Several dates only had lunch available by the time I checked. Since we are only flying in and out of Lima and had to have an exact day and time I did not want to take a chance. I am currently helping my son with Tokyo reservations and when there are 5 days to choose from it is not as stressful (same things happen when I am booking reward flights- it is much more nerve wracking when we have to have a date certain. At the end of the month I will be booking French Laundry and with 7 days to choose from I feel pretty confident (knock on wood)
Old Nov 29, 19, 4:12 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by damon88 View Post
A quick update for anyone looking to score reservations at Central in Lima...

I used your information to figure out when bookings would open for the date we will be in Lima. Then I put it on my calendar. Today, I easily booked Central. Thank you for your post about it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: