Wiki Posts
Search

Mexico, my haven

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
most in this forum prefer value of renting towards very top, vs buying
This strikes me as a rather broad, sweeping generalization. I'm quite confident that many who frequent this forum have the financial abiliity and desire to own a second home and I suspect many here actually do. If one has the means and the desire, it doesn't necessarily have to be "either/or"

Regards
cornwall4000 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i remember 'all' posts, not only certain people
actually took me 'a while' to find first quote
i also remember discussion of easter in SMdA

KatW, your posts are always 'well said' and many here agree

Originally Posted by scubadu
second home
you're missing what people here spend on accommodations
(some also spend 'more' on their primary residence)
you've previously noted how opinions and interests vary

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 11, 2019 at 11:35 am
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:24 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by david55
We have a home in San Miguel de Allende. We spend maybe 6 weeks a year there...."not enough time" says my husband.....but the upside is we have had a really nice rental income from our home for the past 10 years. ( It doesn't hurt that Architectural Digest just named our street, Aldama, as the 4th most beautiful in the world). https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...s-in-the-world
i did a fair amount of Mexico travel last year, but count San Miguel de Allende as one of the least pleasant places, if for one main reason- close off more of the downtown to traffic. It was a joke, and completely took away from the hillside appeal. Quite glad I didn’t waste money on the rosewood.

However, I would like a couple of recommendations for luxury properties by jungles/almost completely detached from anything urban.

TIA,
BmB
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:26 am

I come here to research places to go on vacation, not as a place to find a second or third or fourth home. If I go on vacation the place better be nicer than my own home! I may return to someplace that I have been before, but unless it has something I really appreciate it is been there done that, what’s the next place to go to?

Now to remain on topic, I think that Mexico is a great choice for those on the West Coast.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i came to understand why many here go back to same places

seem to recall other fans / regulars of La Casa Que Canta
for smaller luxury hotels, mexico has a lot more than US
cornwall4000 likes this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 11, 2019 at 10:48 am
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento

i did a fair amount of Mexico travel last year, but count San Miguel de Allende as one of the least pleasant places, if for one main reason- close off more of the downtown to traffic. It was a joke, and completely took away from the hillside appeal. Quite glad I didn’t waste money on the rosewood.

However, I would like a couple of recommendations for luxury properties by jungles/almost completely detached from anything urban.

TIA,
BmB
Traffic sucks in SMA. Over run with wealthy Nationals in their huge SUVs coming in for the weekend and holidays. Mon-Thur the town is pretty much empty and it's yours with just a few others. This past January the town was really quiet nearly the whole month because of gas shortage...it reminded me of SMA 20 years ago.

Just curious why you are glad you didn't waste money at the Rosewood? It is a beautiful hotel.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:02 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

david55 posted: "Over run with wealthy Nationals in their huge SUVs coming in for the weekend and holidays."

That's one perspective on San Miguel de Allende. Yet another perspective is the town is overrun by U.S. expats sufficiently well-heeled as to afford a second home, or hotel stays, and international travel.
EuropeanPete and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by KatW; Feb 11, 2019 at 12:09 pm
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by KatW
david55 posted: "Over run with wealthy Nationals in their huge SUVs coming in for the weekend and holidays."

That's one perspective on San Miguel de Allende. Yet another perspective is the town is overrun by U.S. expats sufficiently well-heeled as to afford a second home, or hotel stays, and international travel.
With all due respect that is an observation that is quite outdated. Are you just hearing that or have you witnessed it for yourself? Yes there are "U.S. expats sufficiently well-heeled as to afford a second home, or hotel stays, and international travel." .....but ask any local ( Mexican) and the ex-pat residents are not the problem. In fact our numbers have dwindled as most of the large homes are being bought by wealthy Mexicans these days....not ex-pats as they were a decade ago.. Those gringos that are still around have assimilated themselves nicely into the culture and life of the town. They are not the ones who appear to "overrun" the town.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:30 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

As Emily Dickinson wrote:

I never saw a moor,
I never saw the sea;
Yet know I how the heather looks,
And what a wave must be.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
I though SMA was a beautiful, but expensive town. The inclusion of things like a Tattinger Champagne Bar make it less appealing for the Mexico I am looking to experience - and for the record, I did have a glass. It is an important city in Mexican history, and that is why I visited and what I truly enjoyed about the town. I did have an experience on a private tour there that was so deeply impactful and profound that it left me in tears which was a first for me. For that reason alone SMA will always have a special place in my heart.

However, I found the nearby city of Guanajuato to be overall much more in tune with my personal travel style. SMA was a good base for what I was trying to accomplish on the trip (learning more about the history of the Mexican War of Independence), but my stay at RW was not a wow for me. Next time I will use Guanajuato as a base and maybe try Villa Maria Cristina or another boutique hotel. I do think SMA is a great base for a first-timer to the area and there are definitely experiences worthy of a trip.
KatW likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:26 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

The town of Oaxaca is a favorite inland Mexican destination. I last was there at age 15 but the remarkable beauty, charm, sincere hospitality never has faded. We had been before, hence our return. It's magical. Also, radishes! https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/r...ico/index.html

bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by KatW; Feb 11, 2019 at 7:57 pm
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Where would everyone go for a relaxed beach week in Mexico at the beginning of December? We will be coming from Mexico City, so are flexible on location. I have been considering Las Ventanas (too cold in early December?), Esencia and Chable Maroma (although seaweed an issue and also potential for cool weather). I can't see anything I love the look of on the Pacific Coast, where the weather looks the best at that time of year. Thank you as always.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:07 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Ventanas in Cabo is never cold but if you want to swim in the ocean, you can't do it there.Also, Cabo is a sterile sort of Mexico.

For swimmable resort beaches: St. Regis Punta Mita, Four Seasons Punta Mita, La Casa que Canta in Zihua, Belmond Maroma. I've been wanting to try Chable Maroma.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by KatW
Ventanas in Cabo is never cold but if you want to swim in the ocean, you can't do it there.Also, Cabo is a sterile sort of Mexico.

For swimmable resort beaches: St. Regis Punta Mita, Four Seasons Punta Mita, La Casa que Canta in Zihua, Belmond Maroma. I've been wanting to try Chable Maroma.
Great recommendations. And early December is a great time to be in Mexico. it is quite quiet. That said we were in PV in early December a few years ago and it was downright hot and humid. Almost uncomfortable. But this was in PV proper and not out on the Punta Mita Peninsula.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
KatW I saw you were just back at La Casa que Canta. Was it just as great this time? Did you feel safe in the area? I know we take travel warnings with a pinch of salt but I think that state is now on a US 'do not travel' list. I see photos of great views, but my slight concern is that the property looks somewhat faded and I'm still tempted by Las Ventanas or even Montage in Cabo. I can't get too excited about FS or St Regis in Punta Mita.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.