first greece trip ... Amanzoe and ??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

first greece trip ... Amanzoe and ??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone. we had a wonderful Greece trip, and I appreciate all the info provided to us prior to traveling. i have a few thoughts about our experiences. Grand Bretagne was fine -- food was good, location made walking to some areas quite easy and the breakfast with the Acropolis view was the perfect first day "hello" to Greece. we had a quick overnight in Athens -- and then drove to Amanzoe. it was a simple drive with little traffic (once we were out of the city). i was surprised at how quickly the country becomes truly rural outside of Athens. Roads are very well maintained, but the last hour is mountainous and has lots of turns (overlooking villages, the ocean, forests -- really nice). my wife is prone to car sickness so she was happy when we finally arrived in Porto Heli.

Amanzoe is the most visually appealing resort i've ever been to. room was spectacular, views amazing. do i think this is the best Aman I've been to? unfortunately no. food was good, but I was hoping for great. service was good, but not great. didn't get the whole Aman feel that we've had in past visits at other resorts. examples: almost daily after breakfast, we would return to our room and the staff would be cleaning. wife got a massage and workers accidentally came in to her room in the middle of it (very bizarre and startled my wife and the spa attendant). One ride back from the beach club resulted in an awkward moment where the driver was given the wrong info about who we were and which villa we were in (we were driven to the front door of one of the private villas instead of our villa at the main resort). late lunch one day in the Japanese restaurant resulted in my wife's food being undercooked. another awkward moment as the chefs were nowhere to be found and the server could be seen looking for them to make the entire meal over again (all her food was taken so my wife had nothing for about 15 minutes while I ate). we don't complain ... because nothing was intentional or truly problematic but I just didn't expect so many hiccups when my expectations were so elevated.

definite highlights were our boat trip on Amanzoe One (a really unique boat with a cool history) -- captain was great, Hydra and Spetses were nice (although Spetses is probably better suited for an evening visit when its more active (i.e. for dinner). Also, the room was amazing, period!

overall I loved the look of Amanzoe, the experience was nice, just not excellent. to be fair, we didn't partake in any other outside adventures offered (just the beach club, bikes, spa, and boating trip) but the resort really didn't give me a great feel for Greece. relaxing -- yes, beautiful -- incredibly so; special -- not as much as I expected.

I still have Amanjiwo as my favorite Aman stay simply because everything was perfect, the food was divine, the service was exact, and the resort operated so efficiently behind the scenes -- it was amazing. the GM made a point to visit us and proudly talk about his resort. then he focused on making our stay better with options for activities. Alas, this was not my Amanzoe experience (I really wanted it to be). it was a really beautiful resort in a beautiful place with reasonable service but that's all I can say. is this being picky, absolutely. but the issues we experienced are just as memorable to me as the wonderful look and feel of the resort. definitely still a nice stay, but I guess I just expected another Aman homerun similar to previous stays at Kila, Sara, Jiwo and Giri. maybe we just had a little bad luck for the 5 days we were there? were my expectations too high? (given the raves this hotel has received, I didn't think so prior to visiting...)

I would be interested in hearing from others to see if their experiences at Amanzoe have changed over the past few years.

anyway, the rest of our trip was really nice. Santorini was magical and perfect for 3 days. we stayed at Canaves Oia Epitome -- shiny new resort where the service was quick and personal, food was simply delicious, and the stay was quite memorable. GM made it a point to talk with us every night we were there. This was not an Aman, but just a great hotel, and I got what I expected.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:41 am

Unfortunate, as time is so limited and service sounds it could have been better. Zoe is very proud in pricing to put it mildly, so I think there is very little room for error, especially as it is tough to get a reservation in summer these days.

The smaller problems you described wouldn't bother me as much, the more pressing issue for me is: Did management make an effort to make you feel at home? Were they trying hard? Gracious? By the sound of it, it is as though you had standard service, but certainly nothing more and certainly not up to Aman standards.

Three factors might be interesting here: Occupancy, new GM and turnover. Reading your comparison, they failed and don't care much!
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:20 am

Another question for those who might have been following Amanzoe pricing For longer than I have. I noticed at the end of last season, starting around October 1, Amanzoe Had a deep discount similar to what they currently have available for October 13 and later in the season ( around €800 per night, along with half board). Right now, The pricing for that time at the beginning of October is €1220 per night.

Does Aman ever change its pricing midseason? Or is the pricing set before the holiday season begins and they always keep it the same throughout? I did notice that they have extended the half board package deal, which was originally available only after October 14, two now begin at September 18.

There is obviously risk that Amanzoe would sell out before you make your reservation but wondered if anyone had any intel on this. Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Lebron2323
Another question for those who might have been following Amanzoe pricing For longer than I have. I noticed at the end of last season, starting around October 1, Amanzoe Had a deep discount similar to what they currently have available for October 13 and later in the season ( around €800 per night, along with half board). Right now, The pricing for that time at the beginning of October is €1220 per night.

Does Aman ever change its pricing midseason? Or is the pricing set before the holiday season begins and they always keep it the same throughout? I did notice that they have extended the half board package deal, which was originally available only after October 14, two now begin at September 18.

There is obviously risk that Amanzoe would sell out before you make your reservation but wondered if anyone had any intel on this. Thanks!
Yes, this year it changed and the rate changes at mid of October. I guess the decided they can claim the higher rate also the first half of October. 14th to 17th October is already sold out.....
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Lebron2323

I looked and couldn’t find anyone willing to do it for less than 280 euros. Anyone have any recommendations for car services for Amanzoe? Thanks!
It's a 2:30-3 hours drive. I don't think you will find much cheaper than that.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:53 am

OK so after reading this thread I’m just trying to figure out the best use of 7 nights in Greece(first time). Originally the plan was Santorini for 4 nights, then Aman/Athens 1-2 nights each, but my worry is we will be moving around “commuting” too much. Is it crazy to just stay 6 nights in Crete at 2 different places recommended in here, and then a night at Aman/Athens? We are looking for a relaxing vaca, so I don’t want to move around too much, which always worries me about going to Greece. Thanks!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:20 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa
OK so after reading this thread I’m just trying to figure out the best use of 7 nights in Greece(first time). Originally the plan was Santorini for 4 nights, then Aman/Athens 1-2 nights each, but my worry is we will be moving around “commuting” too much. Is it crazy to just stay 6 nights in Crete at 2 different places recommended in here, and then a night at Aman/Athens? We are looking for a relaxing vaca, so I don’t want to move around too much, which always worries me about going to Greece. Thanks!
if only 7 nights planned I personally would do 3 in Athens and 4 at Amanzoe; though I’ve never been enamored with Santorini
vuittonsofstyle and BESVISOR like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu

if only 7 nights planned I personally would do 3 in Athens and 4 at Amanzoe; though I’ve never been enamored with Santorini
Agree that 7 nights should be two places max.
I rarely stay anywhere less than 3 nights.
offerendum likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:02 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
We will be there in mid October, so we are doing 3 nights Athens (Grand Bretagne) with 3 nights Santorini (Mystique). I can't stay too long in any beach/seaside location unless there are plenty of things to see and do, and I found 3 nights plenty for Santorini. (We originally had 5 nights but shortened the stay.) The 3 nights seems plenty to enjoy the view.

We opted for Santorini vs Amanzoe because I just didn't find enough to do (that interests me) at Zoe for the cost/benefit. Exactly why we didn't bother with Nemu.
christianj likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

You are right about Santorini..... found this on a FB page I follow.... Santorini in August...waiting to board the buses up to the town. October should be a bit better.
offerendum and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:20 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Did Santorini in Oct and it was perfect! Was still lively but nothing like the photo above.
I'd also vote for 3 nights in Santorini (Katikites) + 4 nights at Zoe.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin
We will be there in mid October, so we are doing 3 nights Athens (Grand Bretagne) with 3 nights Santorini (Mystique). I can't stay too long in any beach/seaside location unless there are plenty of things to see and do, and I found 3 nights plenty for Santorini. (We originally had 5 nights but shortened the stay.) The 3 nights seems plenty to enjoy the view.

We opted for Santorini vs Amanzoe because I just didn't find enough to do (that interests me) at Zoe for the cost/benefit. Exactly why we didn't bother with Nemu.
Oh, we will miss each other as I canceled Grand Bretagne to try out the FS. Personally I hink it´s a lot around Zoe (at least I think bevore I go) but that´s always a question of personal interest and mobility.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by david55
At least you are not alone
Old Sep 11, 2019, 7:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by FlyerEC

QUOTE=offerendum;30863018]
Booking a rom at Amanzoe is really special. First I had to fill out a CC authorization for 5 nights, now for 1 more night as I extended my stay. So far they don't send out confirmation...... To be honest it sucks, but I think was discussed before.

Aman is making it somewhat of a turn off to book now. My last stay at a comparable luxury property didn't involve paying upfront and signing my life away.[/QUOTE]

In remote Greece (or other very remote places?)

My understanding is that part of it is regulations when it's a third party processing the booking (this can be avoided when bookings are made via online platforms) and part of it is to do with remoteness and and again, going back to that earlier discussion on cancellations, modern traveling trends etc.

There's no prepayment for properties such as Aman Tokyo which can sell out a couple of unsold rooms last minute, if necessary.[/QUOTE]
Yes , it used to be really easy with an email to the GM and all set .

It took numerous emails over months , other means of communication for Venice & Zoe September stay . Then they kindly waived the cc authorisation form requirement ..
Paul L , GM Zoe , replied too & with newly transferred Guillermo V from Galla / Wella a refreshing asset

Now Puri in May & Kila / Nusa Villas in July , was the original AMAN that I am accustomed to , just an email . Thankfully .
Similarly with Nemu / Tokyo in October / November , perhaps because we stayed most recently last November we did not encounter cc / authorisation issues either & all set even before Venice ( which was a worse nuisancecompared to Zoe) & Zoe ..
We shall see how the saga continues .. Looking forward to the stays though
[/QUOTE]

Jet lagging in Zoe , very very glad we persisted . If we had not known Paul L & Guillermo V, it would have been difficult to sort the reservation saga though .
Aman is so corporate & impersonal these days with their “ systems “ .

Spectacular property .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Sep 11, 2019 at 7:18 pm
Old Sep 12, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by offerendum
Oh, we will miss each other as I canceled Grand Bretagne to try out the FS.
Please post back with your experience at the FS. We considered it for our trip in June of this year but decided against it. The reviews I had seen at that time didn't wow me but it was likely due to them having just opened. I also thought the price they were asking was a bit ridiculous but I guess it's a FS so they can get away with it.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
IMHO 3 nights is more than enough to enjoy Santorini. We did 3 nights on our first trip 5 years ago and then when we went back this year we only did 2. (As an aside the difference in the visits 5 years apart was drastic from a perspective of the crowds of tourists....I hope they do something about that as it's ruining Santorini!) For us it was a quick stop as we were doing Crete-Santorini-Mykonos using a ferry and then we flew back to Athens from Mykonos with Aegean. Overall we did 5 on Crete, 2 Santorini, 3 Mykonos and then 1 in Athens just because I return flight was out of ATH. I wish getting flights back to the US from the islands was easier but we always have to go back to Athens to fly out the next day.

Last edited by christianj; Sep 12, 2019 at 5:42 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.