FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   first greece trip ... Amanzoe and ?? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1940973-first-greece-trip-amanzoe.html)

scottandtracy Nov 16, 2018 8:40 pm

first greece trip ... Amanzoe and ??

Hi. just wanted to get a few ideas about how to spend the 1st 10 days of June in Greece next year. arrive Athens late, staying overnight at the Grand Bretagne. 4 following nights at Amanzoe, then everything is up for grabs. any suggestions for where to go/what to do prior to a flight out of Athens 5 days later? I'd like a nice contrast to Amanzoe, but the resorts on Santorini may be too busy/touristy for me. looking for an island hotel/resort that has excellent service and also a full list of activities. all thoughts/ideas appreciated!

KatW Nov 16, 2018 8:52 pm

No advice but much jealousy.

FlyingDoctorwu Nov 17, 2018 4:14 am

Always end with an Aman.

Have you done Athens before?

fdw

scented Nov 17, 2018 4:27 am

Possibly the new Four Seasons Athens to start with?

SilverSpoon Nov 17, 2018 5:10 am

Santorini is crowded but still utterly beautiful! I highly recommend it, I went in June and it was less busy than I've seen pictures of it being.

I did Grande Bretagne and Amanzoe in September. You're in for a treat!

Romelle Nov 17, 2018 6:08 am

Bookstore, Amazon and/or library for an armload of travel guides. And www.tripadvisor.com for hotel reviews and lists of things to do.

For travel guides, I favor Lonely Planet and Rough Guide. But these are budget simple hiking back-packing ones. I'd guess you will want the more upscale ones. There are many very different ones. Browse the various ones until you find which appeals to you personally. Fodors and Insight might be good starts.

It doesn't always work, but worth looking for the Greek equivalent of our Chamber of Commerce, and writing or emailing. I once got a lovely brochure from France that way. "The Painters of the Light". It described where the French Impressionists worked and lived. And had a suggested trail for seeing the locations and museum of their work, all along the south of France. I followed it and it was one of my more memorable and successful trips. I think trips need a goal or an overarching plan or a reason. Why are you going to Greece?

scented Nov 17, 2018 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Romelle (Post 30438919)
Bookstore, Amazon and/or library for an armload of travel guides. And www.tripadvisor.com for hotel reviews and lists of things to do.

For travel guides, I favor Lonely Planet and Rough Guide. But these are budget simple hiking back-packing ones. I'd guess you will want the more upscale ones. There are many very different ones. Browse the various ones until you find which appeals to you personally. Fodors and Insight might be good starts.

It doesn't always work, but worth looking for the Greek equivalent of our Chamber of Commerce, and writing or emailing. I once got a lovely brochure from France that way. "The Painters of the Light". It described where the French Impressionists worked and lived. And had a suggested trail for seeing the locations and museum of their work, all along the south of France. I followed it and it was one of my more memorable and successful trips. I think trips need a goal or an overarching plan or a reason. Why are you going to Greece?

Gosh, they are looking for hotel/destination advice, not a how-to description for travel newbies.

O&O Kea Island might also be of interest to you, might check w/ Dolphin about latest construction update and possible opening date, but I fear later than your travel dates.

cayohueso Nov 17, 2018 8:05 am

Four Seasons Hydra

darnold Nov 17, 2018 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by scottandtracy (Post 30438176)
Hi. just wanted to get a few ideas about how to spend the 1st 10 days of June in Greece next year. arrive Athens late, staying overnight at the Grand Bretagne. 4 following nights at Amanzoe, then everything is up for grabs. any suggestions for where to go/what to do prior to a flight out of Athens 5 days later? I'd like a nice contrast to Amanzoe, but the resorts on Santorini may be too busy/touristy for me. looking for an island hotel/resort that has excellent service and also a full list of activities. all thoughts/ideas appreciated!

Skip Santorini and spend your time exploring Crete. Amirandes, Blue Palace and/or Lux Me may not be Aman-level luxury, but they are excellent and what Crete has to offer more than makes up for it -- you'll spend far less time tied to the hotel grounds!

Kagehitokiri Nov 17, 2018 12:40 pm

can use zoe as a base for >
- hydra
- spetses
anything else ?
anyone done a hotel day yacht charter ?

noted FS outside athens should be open

indeed kea not even final approval yet

scottandtracy Nov 17, 2018 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu (Post 30438754)
Always end with an Aman.

Have you done Athens before?

fdw

that's what I'm thinking. maybe switch my dates and end at Amanzoe. haven't looked into the FS Athens yet...

scottandtracy Nov 17, 2018 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by darnold (Post 30439838)
Skip Santorini and spend your time exploring Crete. Amirandes, Blue Palace and/or Lux Me may not be Aman-level luxury, but they are excellent and what Crete has to offer more than makes up for it -- you'll spend far less time tied to the hotel grounds!

thanks for the ideas! Crete looks amazing, so might give us more to do... I"m thinking maybe Crete for 4-5 days then end in Amanzoe.

scottandtracy Nov 17, 2018 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by scented (Post 30438982)
Gosh, they are looking for hotel/destination advice, not a how-to description for travel newbies.

O&O Kea Island might also be of interest to you, might check w/ Dolphin about latest construction update and possible opening date, but I fear later than your travel dates.

thanks for the info!! we've had great times with O&O (Reethi Rah) in the past -- any ideas who I can contact to get ideas on an opening date? (does Dolphin have a contact?) My guess is that no info in November means that they're probably not opening in early summer '19... bummer

Kagehitokiri Nov 17, 2018 5:43 pm

they have not gotten final permit to build yet... O&O submitted new room count, will not close on acquisition if not approved. cant imagine it will not be, but who knows how long it will take just for the approval.

FS is outside athens, publishes as "30 minutes from city center" which matches google with no traffic

katikies is also on mykonos

MSPeconomist Nov 17, 2018 5:56 pm

Athens is worth more than one day if you've never been there before. I would probably spend the one night at the beginning at the Grande Bretagne's sister hotel (very different style) and then do multiple nights at the end at Grande Bretagne.

There's also a rather nice resort complex along the coast near the airport, in a town with a long name IIRC starting with V. This is convenient to the airport, not so much in saving time, but in avoiding Athens if you wish. The place used to have a Westin and a Starwood LC (interesting location and pool, but not particularly fancy) but then it deflagged.

What islands interest you? Crete? Rhodes?