Reload this Page >

Luxury Resort for First Time Snorkeler

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Resort for First Time Snorkeler

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
The best snorkeling

Aloha! I am excited to hear that your son is ready to enjoy snorkeling.

The best snorkeling, of all the Four Seasons in Hawaii, is in front of the Four Seasons Maui. Walk down to the beach at 7 am, take your snorkel and fins, and head straight out and to the left. You want to go around the corner to the left and not stop on the straight part of the reef. Especially with fins, this is something I would feel comfortable doing with my 6 year old son.

Hualalai is a magical place and the Kings Pond is great fun, especially with the eagle rays, and the lovely attendants/teachers. I can very comfortably spend a day at Kings Pond, by the pond and then in the afternoon, switching sides to face the ocean, across the sidewalk.

Though with the best room product and a good possibility of seeing jumping spinner dolphins, FS Lanai, has the least possibility of good snorkeling off their beach. They also do not have an outrigger option, which is a great lost opportunity for them.

The Four Seasons Oahu, where we just came back from spending a week, has a small “secret” beach and cove to the right of the resort. The snorkeling is fine but not like Maui. What makes this cove special is a Monk Seal who, every morning we were there, would launch himself up the shore and nestle into a spot of sand till he looked like a very content tourist.

If I was planning this for my family, I would first go to Maui and spend three nights, snorkeling together first thing in the morning, not later than 7:30, and going on the outrigger together every morning, If you go when the whales will be there, it will be spectacular. Then I would go to Hualalai to relax and experience a true taste of Hawaiian luxury and ohana. Do not expect great things from the room product but request an outdoor lava shower. Do not miss the spa at Hualalai or the gym classes with Beth.

Tip about snorkeling in the ocean: sit on the beach before you get in and just watch the waves. Maybe 5 to 10 minutes. Calmly plan where you are going to swim and point it out to each other. Go early in the morning, just after the sun rises, as the waves will be calmest and the water clearest. Go multiple times to the same spot to become more comfortable. You will see more this way than going to new places each time.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions. We lived on the Big Island for almost two years and know these properties and waters, well.

Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:30 am
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
Aloha! I am excited to hear that your son is ready to enjoy snorkeling.

The best snorkeling, of all the Four Seasons in Hawaii, is in front of the Four Seasons Maui. Walk down to the beach at 7 am, take your snorkel and fins, and head straight out and to the left. You want to go around the corner to the left and not stop on the straight part of the reef. Especially with fins, this is something I would feel comfortable doing with my 6 year old son.

Hualalai is a magical place and the Kings Pond is great fun, especially with the eagle rays, and the lovely attendants/teachers. I can very comfortably spend a day at Kings Pond, by the pond and then in the afternoon, switching sides to face the ocean, across the sidewalk.

Though with the best room product and a good possibility of seeing jumping spinner dolphins, FS Lanai, has the least possibility of good snorkeling off their beach. They also do not have an outrigger option, which is a great lost opportunity for them.

The Four Seasons Oahu, where we just came back from spending a week, has a small “secret” beach and cove to the right of the resort. The snorkeling is fine but not like Maui. What makes this cove special is a Monk Seal who, every morning we were there, would launch himself up the shore and nestle into a spot of sand till he looked like a very content tourist.

If I was planning this for my family, I would first go to Maui and spend three nights, snorkeling together first thing in the morning, not later than 7:30, and going on the outrigger together every morning, If you go when the whales will be there, it will be spectacular. Then I would go to Hualalai to relax and experience a true taste of Hawaiian luxury and ohana. Do not expect great things from the room product but request an outdoor lava shower. Do not miss the spa at Hualalai or the gym classes with Beth.

Tip about snorkeling in the ocean: sit on the beach before you get in and just watch the waves. Maybe 5 to 10 minutes. Calmly plan where you are going to swim and point it out to each other. Go early in the morning, just after the sun rises, as the waves will be calmest and the water clearest. Go multiple times to the same spot to become more comfortable. You will see more this way than going to new places each time.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions. We lived on the Big Island for almost two years and know these properties and waters, well.

Great information. Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.