FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Luxury Resort for First Time Snorkeler (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1936662-luxury-resort-first-time-snorkeler.html)

Ericka Oct 21, 2018 11:56 am

Luxury Resort for First Time Snorkeler

Our 7 year old has been taking lots of swimming lessons and is ready to snorkel! Got any suggestions?

Must Haves:
- Excellent house reef for easy snorkeling
- Calm waters and little rain during JUNE/JULY
- Location with no risk of traveler’s diarrhea
- Nothing crazy expensive (North Island, etc). We’re just back from safari!
- Accessible via Star Alliance (No Tahiti :()

Nice to Haves:
- Beautiful swimming beach, crystal clear water
- Good kids club

We’ve been looking at FS Hualalai because of King’s Pond.
I’ve been to many spectacular island and diving destinations all over the world but never Hawaii. As an American citizen, that does seem sort of wrong.

Thanks!

KatW Oct 21, 2018 12:53 pm

Auberge's Chileno Bay Resort in Cabo -- https://chilenobay.aubergeresorts.com/

Has it all: snorkeling direct from shore, equipment provided, Swimmable calm beach, kids club, fab pool, suites and villas. I recommend.

Ericka Oct 21, 2018 1:21 pm

Snorkeling in Cabo? I did not see that coming. :D

KatW Oct 21, 2018 1:33 pm

There is no coral reef yet huge numbers of very colorful fish, starfish, anemonees and the like. In that way, it is similar to the Hualalai pool. The bay is divided by an outcrop of boulders around which the fish congregate. Good snorkeling! Half of the bay is private, half is public but not over crowded. Lots of equipment -- paddle boards, ocean bikes, glass-bottom kayaks, snorkle equipment. Very calm water, excellent beach, swimming.

Here is s review of the beach (not written by me):

This is a must beach to go if you are in Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo. The beach is roughly half way between both cities.

Due to the way the bay is situated, the waves are very small and makes it very easy for anyone to get in and out of the water. There are some rock formations on either side of the bay and there are lots of critters and crabs roaming around in those rocks.

The best part is the amount of fish this beach has. The water is clear and you can do some really good snorkeling. The fish come up to you as I suspect they have gotten used to humans feeding them.

Also the beach is not crowded at all. Makes for a very relaxing spot to go to.

KatW Oct 21, 2018 2:05 pm

I have snorkled King's Pond at Hualalai but years ago in 1998. Very cold. No coral. But mantas! Lots of fish. You do realize it is a created-by-man authentic looking experience?

Kagehitokiri Oct 21, 2018 2:34 pm

several here rent house (or condo) at hualalai
can also check / combine other hawaii, FS etc
some also reported dolphins right at hualalai

EDIT : could combine mauna kea for beach

aman cabo (adjacent to FS) likely on track
so hawaii now then cabo once theyre open

obscure2k Oct 21, 2018 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Ericka (Post 30339768)
Our 7 year old has been taking lots of swimming lessons and is ready to snorkel! Got any suggestions?

Must Haves:
- Excellent house reef for easy snorkeling
- Calm waters and little rain during JUNE/JULY
- Location with no risk of traveler’s diarrhea
- Nothing crazy expensive (North Island, etc). We’re just back from safari!
- Accessible via Star Alliance (No Tahiti :()

Nice to Haves:
- Beautiful swimming beach, crystal clear water
- Good kids club

We’ve been looking at FS Hualalai because of King’s Pond.
I’ve been to many spectacular island and diving destinations all over the world but never Hawaii. As an American citizen, that does seem sort of wrong. My grown kids took their little ones there for the reasons you describe and thought it was a great choice

Thanks!

I am not a fan of 4S Hualalai because of their very small beach. However, I think that the King's Pond is an ideal place to teach your little guy how to snorkel. They also have a good Kids Cub. As the hotel is on the Kona coast which is the dry side, you are unlikely to have any rain during the summer months. He will likely also enjoy the telescope set up to star gaze

Ericka Oct 21, 2018 3:17 pm

If we went to Hawaii, I was thinking FS King’s Pond would be a good place to start. And then we could drive a bit (or include another island) for better snorkeling once our son was comfortable.

Looks like the Lanai beach gets big swells in summer. Bummer.

Would love to see Kauai...

KatW Oct 21, 2018 3:30 pm

Hualalai is great for kids, if your TA can ensure your stay does not coincide with a corporate event or very crowded holiday crowd -- any holiday.

Hawaii is lovely and if you've never been that could be reason go. I gather you are accustomed to tropical locales so some of the charm may not be apparent. Best resort experience is FS Manele Bay. I think there is a deal if you visit both locations. Beach at Manele Bay is very good.

Avoid Oahu if possible; there are direct/non-stop flights to Big Island (depending on outbound airport).

I am not now a Hawaii fan due to the paucity/lack of genuine 5-star luxury but loved my first visit when we stayed at the Lodge at Koele, Manele Bay (not then FS) and Hana Maui on Maui.

I think the luau experience is tacky (plus lines for buffet) and very likely inauthentic but kids adore it.

bocastephen Oct 21, 2018 5:21 pm

I have a couple thoughts and will send you a PM

Ericka Oct 21, 2018 6:36 pm

To clarify, FS Lanai/Manele is apparently NOT good during summer months for swimming or snorkeling. Lots of big wave action. Which is a shame because it sounds like there is some lovely snorkeling there at other times of the year.

Thanks for the continued great ideas. Has anyone snorkeled at the St. Regis Princeville on Kauai?

Am I missing anything outside of Hawaii?

KatW Oct 21, 2018 7:30 pm

Kids sometimes tolerate cold water temps better than adults. Be aware that King's Pond is very very cold.

Musken Oct 21, 2018 11:57 pm

Our son really started snorkelling at FS LG, Maldives. Might be wrong for your dates and flights, but wanted to mention it anyway. They had an excellent house reef close to where you would get your snorkel gear and offerered kids club snorkelling and begninners lessons every day. There was one woman from the kids club who took time to teach our son to snorkel, so that he really started loving it and later on joined us to reefs further away. Beach is also brilliant. With regards to food and no risks, your really cannot get any kind of guarntee against that. We had a terrible incident at a very very high end resort, also other guests. It was not this resort, but you just cannot ask for that not to happen.

5khours Oct 22, 2018 12:42 am

Maldives or Pulo. But honestly a 7 year old. Leave him some things to enjoy when he gets older. Drop in a local pool or pond.

Ericka Oct 22, 2018 3:56 am

So with the tummy stuff, we’re wanting to avoid places with known water issues like Southeast Asia and India. At least until our son is a bit older.

We’ve been to the FS Maldives (LG and KH) and had some of the most spectacular snorkeling and diving experiences! But it looks like summer has a fair amount of rain and probably cloud cover too. Great idea though.

We’ve been to Amanpulo twice and didn’t think too much of the snorkeling onsite. But will definitely return later because our son is adopted from there. That can wait until he’s old enough to really understand adoption.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. Keep them coming. :cool: