Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Reviews of Tokyo hotels to be found in dedicated threads (If you review another Tokyo luxury hotel, put it in a thread and add a link here, thanks!)

Aman Tokyo (not a formal review but as detailed as one) -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Mandarin Oriental Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Peninsula Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Park Hyatt Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho from luxury perspective — https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
Had a 3 night stay booked on points at the Prince Tower for August but looking at it again I don't know that it's the best value for the points. It seems like either paying cash there or the FS Marriott would be much better than 50k points a night. However now I'm looking at the RC for not too much more, 60k points a night for much more expensive room.

I had originally held off the RC Tokyo because we were also doing 5 nights at the RC Kyoto right after, thinking it might be an overload of expensive hotel bar and restaurants, but now I'm not so sure.

Any thoughts or advice?
The Prince Tower and the Prince Gallery are very different properties of different categories.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The Prince Tower and the Prince Gallery are very different properties of different categories.
It'd be Prince Tower. If it was Prince Gallery I'd just go straight for the RC.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:02 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
It'd be Prince Tower. If it was Prince Gallery I'd just go straight for the RC.
I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss the Prince Gallery for the RC. The PG is newer and has a much better overall hard product. The PG also has a tremendous Executive Lounge available to Platinums at no charge, whereas the RC Club requires a substantial charge but is otherwise comparable. The PG also has far better elite recognition than the RC.

To me, the PG was nearly worthy to be a StR. I’d take the PG again in a second. Only the Aman had a better hard product...and the service at the PG was as good or better than that at the Aman.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss the Prince Gallery for the RC. The PG is newer and has a much better overall hard product. The PG also has a tremendous Executive Lounge available to Platinums at no charge, whereas the RC Club requires a substantial charge but is otherwise comparable. The PG also has far better elite recognition than the RC.

To me, the PG was nearly worthy to be a StR. I’d take the PG again in a second. Only the Aman had a better hard product...and the service at the PG was as good or better than that at the Aman.
Interesting. This is the type of quality content I come to FlyerTalk for!

Would the Gallery still give good elite recognition for an award stay? The RC and PG would end up costing the same amount of points.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:42 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Interesting. This is the type of quality content I come to FlyerTalk for!

Would the Gallery still give good elite recognition for an award stay? The RC and PG would end up costing the same amount of points.
I’m so glad I could help. Yes, the PG and almost all legacy SPG hotels (and IMO most legacy Marriott hotels outside of Autograph and RC) will give excellent elite recognition whether it’s a paid or award stay. Our May PG stay originally was award, but I changed it to a Best Rate Guaranteed stay, so we were paying a mere $234 a night. My SNAs didn’t clear but we arrived at 8 am and still got upgraded to a wonderful suite. (FYI I am Ambassador elite.)

Certainly, the PG will give you much more than the RC for Platinum elite recognition. Free Exec Lounge. Chances for upgrades. Free breakfast in the restaurant or lounge. A welcome gift (we love the chopsticks we got).

But we’d choose the PG again in a second because of how amazing the hard product is and how well they looked after us—especially their concierge team. I also love the PG bar and lobby...though that Aman lobby still is even more spectacular. We visited the Aman, MO. Peninsula, and FS hotels, too. And we have stayed at many Aman hotels. (We go to Amangiri in 2 weeks for my bday, in fact,) We still would choose the PG in a second.

You can see my PG review at the top of this thread, too!

Last edited by bhrubin; Jan 9, 2019 at 3:55 pm
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, National EE, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Gold
Hey all,

I am in the middle of planning an upcoming Asia trip this May, it is a relatively short trip 12 days that will have the trip start in Hong Kong for a quick layover, then a 4 night stay at Amanoi ending in Tokyo before flying home on an JAL Award F ticket.

I am currently looking at which hotel to stay at in Tokyo, we will be there for only 2 nights.

I was initially looking at the Peninsula, as I have stayed at a few of their properties and loved them all (Hong Kong, Beijing, Chicago). However, reading this and the old Tokyo hotel thread, it seems like the Peninsula is not a popular choice amongst you all.
Is it mostly be cause of the busy lobby? I personally am not bothered by a touristy lobby, however what is important to me is service and concierge. When I stayed at Peninsula Beijing (post renovation in 2017), I was greeted by name every time I walked by the lobby, and the every staff I interacted was super friendly. Not sure if I can expect the same from Peninsula Tokyo.

I am looking to book a few hard to book Tokyo restaurants, so a competent concierge team is top on the list. As for budget, ideally I would like to keep the rates to below $1000CAD/night. (Right now with the crappy exchange rate, this does not seem to get me too far)

For my travel dates, here are some of the rates that my TA shared with me.
The Peninsula Tokyo
Grand Premier Park Room JPY 76,000.00/nt

Aman Tokyo
Deluxe Room (lead in room) JPY 110,000.00/nt

Hoshinoya Tokyo
Deluxe Sakura Room JPY 99,066.00/nt
Corner Deluxe Yuri Room JPY 108,332.00/nt

Are there other hotels that I should be considering, as you can see of the 3 above, Peninsula is right in my price range, with Aman and Hoshinoya both slightly above my ideal budget.
I am no longer SPG Plat (just gold), so not sure if staying a PG makes sense despite all the great reviews. Should I be considering the RC Club Level? (I haven't looked into pricing there so not sure if it is in my budget).

Thanks for the help
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by specboi
Hey all,

I am in the middle of planning an upcoming Asia trip this May, it is a relatively short trip 12 days that will have the trip start in Hong Kong for a quick layover, then a 4 night stay at Amanoi ending in Tokyo before flying home on an JAL Award F ticket.

I am currently looking at which hotel to stay at in Tokyo, we will be there for only 2 nights.

I was initially looking at the Peninsula, as I have stayed at a few of their properties and loved them all (Hong Kong, Beijing, Chicago). However, reading this and the old Tokyo hotel thread, it seems like the Peninsula is not a popular choice amongst you all.
Is it mostly be cause of the busy lobby? I personally am not bothered by a touristy lobby, however what is important to me is service and concierge. When I stayed at Peninsula Beijing (post renovation in 2017), I was greeted by name every time I walked by the lobby, and the every staff I interacted was super friendly. Not sure if I can expect the same from Peninsula Tokyo.

I am looking to book a few hard to book Tokyo restaurants, so a competent concierge team is top on the list. As for budget, ideally I would like to keep the rates to below $1000CAD/night. (Right now with the crappy exchange rate, this does not seem to get me too far)

For my travel dates, here are some of the rates that my TA shared with me.
The Peninsula Tokyo
Grand Premier Park Room JPY 76,000.00/nt

Aman Tokyo
Deluxe Room (lead in room) JPY 110,000.00/nt

Hoshinoya Tokyo
Deluxe Sakura Room JPY 99,066.00/nt
Corner Deluxe Yuri Room JPY 108,332.00/nt

Are there other hotels that I should be considering, as you can see of the 3 above, Peninsula is right in my price range, with Aman and Hoshinoya both slightly above my ideal budget.
I am no longer SPG Plat (just gold), so not sure if staying a PG makes sense despite all the great reviews. Should I be considering the RC Club Level? (I haven't looked into pricing there so not sure if it is in my budget).

Thanks for the help
We detested the Pen for its very dated room and suite decor as much as the incredibly busy lobby. Service was stiff and formal. Our friends regretted the Hoshinoya as being way too Japanese and not really a luxury hotel in the Western sense—so know hat you’re getting into before trying that. We found the Aman hard product to be amazing but the service to not warrant the price premium.

I’d recommend considering the PG for nothing else than your shorter stay, your somewhat Marriott elite status, and the chance to get the 2nd best hard product in the city behind only the Aman—but with comparable service and at a much better price point. If you can find a better rate for the PG elsewhere, you even could get a lower rate by LNF guarantee from Marriott.

FWIW, the PG concierge team was amazing for us. They got us bookings at Yoshitake, Narisawa, and even a last minute lunch at Sawada.

I’d take the PG over the RC any day because of the hard product and location—and the vastly better elite recognition.
specboi likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by specboi
If this is what you value most, I would consider Tokyo Station Hotel.
socalgecko and specboi like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub

We detested the Pen for its very dated room and suite decor as much as the incredibly busy lobby. Service was stiff and formal. Our friends regretted the Hoshinoya as being way too Japanese and not really a luxury hotel in the Western sense—so know hat you’re getting into before trying that. We found the Aman hard product to be amazing but the service to not warrant the price premium.

I’d recommend considering the PG for nothing else than your shorter stay, your somewhat Marriott elite status, and the chance to get the 2nd best hard product in the city behind only the Aman—but with comparable service and at a much better price point. If you can find a better rate for the PG elsewhere, you even could get a lower rate by LNF guarantee from Marriott.

FWIW, the PG concierge team was amazing for us. They got us bookings at Yoshitake, Narisawa, and even a last minute lunch at Sawada.

I’d take the PG over the RC any day because of the hard product and location—and the vastly better elite recognition.
Hi bhrubin,

What about the location and the immediate vicinity of the PG? I generally prefer hotels with easy metro connection and next to lots of eateries and restaurants. If I am not wrong, the PG looks rather secluded? Also, is the PG Virtuoso? If not, will they upgrade Elite Gold members?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by BENLEE
Hi bhrubin,

What about the location and the immediate vicinity of the PG? I generally prefer hotels with easy metro connection and next to lots of eateries and restaurants.
There's a couple of metro lines very close to it, and a cluster of eateries in the laneways behind the BIC Camera building at Akasaka Mitsuke metro station.

If metro connectivity is a big priority for you, the Palace Hotel is probably the best. It sits atop Otemachi station, which has the most metro lines of any station in Tokyo. It's also walking distance to Tokyo Station. The area is not so good for eateries, but the hotel itself has some of Tokyo's finest in-house restaurants.

For eateries on the local streets, Yurakucho is an excellent area (Imperial and Peninsula). Theres an abundance of Izakayas under the tracks, and the surrounding area is heavy on restaurants. Yurakucho is on the Yamanote and is also close to Tokyo station and Ginza.

Last edited by Offshore171; Jan 10, 2019 at 6:09 pm
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Hi bhrubin,

What about the location and the immediate vicinity of the PG? I generally prefer hotels with easy metro connection and next to lots of eateries and restaurants. If I am not wrong, the PG looks rather secluded? Also, is the PG Virtuoso? If not, will they upgrade Elite Gold members?
There were plenty of restaurants nearby and adjacent to the hotel, but we’d didn’t try any so can’t comment on that. The metro station was a few minutes walk away and connected to multiple lines. But those aren’t the reason we’d pick the PG.

Wehther you get upgraded or not is entirely dependent on occupancy. But having some status at the PG will be better chances for upgrades than no status most places. Don’t think it’s Virtuoso.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

There were plenty of restaurants nearby and adjacent to the hotel, but we’d didn’t try any so can’t comment on that. The metro station was a few minutes walk away and connected to multiple lines. But those aren’t the reason we’d pick the PG.

Wehther you get upgraded or not is entirely dependent on occupancy. But having some status at the PG will be better chances for upgrades than no status most places. Don’t think it’s Virtuoso.
PG is indeed not on Virtuoso, but it is on FHR for those who don't hold any status with Marriott, perhaps even useful to a gold elite for the 4pm checkout, incredible breakfast, and generally guaranteed one category upgrade if occupancy permits. Pretty much any room you'd get upgraded to above the base room has lounge access too if that's your thing. Currently not FHR bookable online in the US due to the 5x prepaid booking issues though.
specboi likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:16 pm

I wonder if concierge from luxury hotel truly makes a difference in terms of dining reservations.

About 3 years ago, I went on a Japan trip and stayed at the Sheraton Tokyo and the Westin Osaka, and between those two hotels, they got me reservations at 9 different micheliM restaurants, including 3* Yoshitake, 3* Kichisen, 3* Fujiya 1935, 3* Esaki.....so I'm wondering if time of the year and luck has more to do than the hotel concierge.

But regardless, this time around I am hoping to stay at more "upscale" properties...and hope their concierge can help me get some more hard to get reservations.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by MattEvan
If this is what you value most, I would consider Tokyo Station Hotel.
Why do you say this? Is Tokyo Station Hotel well regarded for their concierge team?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:39 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Hi bhrubin,

Chances of getting an upgrade at the PG as a Gold are slim-to-zero. There are just too many platinums and this is a small hotel without a ton of suites or upgraded rooms. But the base level rooms are quite nice, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.