Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Reviews of Tokyo hotels to be found in dedicated threads (If you review another Tokyo luxury hotel, put it in a thread and add a link here, thanks!)

Aman Tokyo (not a formal review but as detailed as one) -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Mandarin Oriental Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Peninsula Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Park Hyatt Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho from luxury perspective — https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Aman concierge (nor any other) has no ability to get Jiro, FWIW. You need a personal introduction to get a booking there.
Aman booked Jiro for us last month. They say they’ve been quite successful getting these reservations.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:11 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by BlackHappy
Aman booked Jiro for us last month. They say they’ve been quite successful getting these reservations.
At the Jiro Roppongi location or the original Sukibiyashi Jiro? This would be news to everyone on the Aman Tokyo thread,
Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:33 am

At the Jiro Roppongi location or the original Sukibiyashi Jiro? This would be news to everyone on the Aman Tokyo thread,
The original Sukiyabashi Jiro. We were two of the 4 guests served by Jiro himself. The other 5 guests at the bar were served by his son.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:42 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by BlackHappy
The original Sukiyabashi Jiro. We were two of the 4 guests served by Jiro himself. The other 5 guests at the bar were served by his son.
Do you speak Japanese? The rest of your party?
Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
Do you speak Japanese? The rest of your party?
No we don’t. Basically, we just followed the menu to figure out what was what.

The two other women he served seems like regulars. They were completely blinged out with diamonds from head to toe!
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by phant0m
Found reward availability to extend my stay in Tokyo next year. Now I'll have four days there which opens up my choices of hotels.

1. 1st night Andaz for 25k points, 3 nights Aman Tokyo with Virtuoso, $3270 with free breakfast and room upgrade.
2. 4 nights Aman Tokyo with Citi Prestige 4th night free, $3485, no breakfast or room upgrade.

I've stayed at the Andaz before and enjoyed it but the value of having an extra night at the Aman for just $215 more vs. 25k points at Andaz is hard to mentally pass. Also I get to avoid moving hotels. Is the Aman breakfast as amazing as people say as well as the room upgrade? I could get the breakfast rate for an extra $210, which comes out to $26.25 per person per day.
Just stay at Aman for four nights. You can request an upgrade subject to availability anyway.

Can you book a breakfast inclusive rate at Aman using Citi Prestige 4th night free?

The above calculation ignores the value of the Hyatt points. If you do not use those points, you will still have them available for a future stay, easily of greater value than the $215 rate difference for Aman Tokyo.

Old Oct 6, 2018, 3:43 am

Programs: United
We had breakfast every day during our Aman stay. Loved it.
The Shangra-La was very good too; slightly better eggs Benedict there
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free

I went through that thread and I found no reference to Jiro. Maybe I didn't look closely enough or I was looking at the wrong thread. Regardless Jiro opened his port to the Black Ships a long time ago. In the end, for Jiro, money doesn't smell and trumps tradition.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Found reward availability to extend my stay in Tokyo next year. Now I'll have four days there which opens up my choices of hotels.

1. 1st night Andaz for 25k points, 3 nights Aman Tokyo with Virtuoso, $3270 with free breakfast and room upgrade.
2. 4 nights Aman Tokyo with Citi Prestige 4th night free, $3485, no breakfast or room upgrade.

I've stayed at the Andaz before and enjoyed it but the value of having an extra night at the Aman for just $215 more vs. 25k points at Andaz is hard to mentally pass. Also I get to avoid moving hotels. Is the Aman breakfast as amazing as people say as well as the room upgrade? I could get the breakfast rate for an extra $210, which comes out to $26.25 per person per day.
It's a good Japanese breakfast but their Western side could use some work. I dislike Aman Tokyo but would rather choose to stay put than move hotels.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:18 am

With the arrival of Musashi-san at Aman Tokyo, the best place for sushi will be right at the hotel.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 11:52 am

Prestige only allows 4th night free bookings with lowest available rate—usually breakfast rate isn’t the lowest unfortunately
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by op487062
Prestige only allows 4th night free bookings with lowest available rate—usually breakfast rate isn’t the lowest unfortunately
You’re right. Just called in to make my booking and they’ll only take room rates. Bummer. I booked anyways and will try to see if they can tack it on during check in or something.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:31 pm

You’re right. Just called in to make my booking and they’ll only take room rates. Bummer. I booked anyways and will try to see if they can tack it on during check in or something.
Even if you pay for breakfast, you’re still breaking even considering that you still have the Hyatt points for a future stay at Andaz or elsewhere. You can request an upgrade anyway.

Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:32 pm

Started reading through most of the conversations about the Aman Tokyo in the Aman thread and I'm starting to have second thoughts about staying there. Most of you guys basically saying it's nothing special for someone's first Aman experience. I started pricing out other hotels and this is what I came up with for 4 nights.

Andaz Prive Rate, lowest king room: $2420 (potential 4th night free deal $1935?) or 100,000 Hyatt points with no benefits.
Prince Gallery Kioicho (after the reviews here): Club Deluxe room $2055
Ritz Carlton Deluxe King with Club Cert Upgrade: $2915

My original Aman rate was $3485.

The last time I stayed at the Ritz Carlton Tokyo was back in 2015 before they did their refresh and I didn't stay in a club room. Has anyone been there recently and is it worth it? I know I love the RC HK Club Lounge. Price Gallery looks comparable with the Ritz but at a much lower entry point. I did a 1 nighter at the Andaz back in 2015 as well and I loved their hard product but didn't get to enjoy the rest of it. Their pricing is very enticing.

What do you guys think?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:56 pm

Started reading through most of the conversations about the Aman Tokyo in the Aman thread and I'm starting to have second thoughts about staying there. Most of you guys basically saying it's nothing special for someone's first Aman experience. I started pricing out other hotels and this is what I came up with for 4 nights.

Andaz Prive Rate, lowest king room: $2420 (potential 4th night free deal $1935?) or 100,000 Hyatt points with no benefits.
Prince Gallery Kioicho (after the reviews here): Club Deluxe room $2055
Ritz Carlton Deluxe King with Club Cert Upgrade: $2915

My original Aman rate was $3485.

The last time I stayed at the Ritz Carlton Tokyo was back in 2015 before they did their refresh and I didn't stay in a club room. Has anyone been there recently and is it worth it? I know I love the RC HK Club Lounge. Price Gallery looks comparable with the Ritz but at a much lower entry point. I did a 1 nighter at the Andaz back in 2015 as well and I loved their hard product but didn't get to enjoy the rest of it. Their pricing is very enticing.

What do you guys think?
Andaz on Prestige 4th free plan, or PG in Club. Do not pay USD500 for four mornings of the same breakfast, of which you’ll be bored by morning 3.

Really depends on where you want to be close to, as well. Andaz wins for location over PG and accessibility to almost all areas of a Tokyo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.