FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBobi
test wikipost
Print Wikipost

Amanresorts Thread 2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Glob, MR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
So, while I waited to communicate with the GM the average per night rates on Amex FHR for Amankila went up from $525 to $675/night. Amandari is still $525. Decisions, decisions...
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by andreiz
So, while I waited to communicate with the GM the average per night rates on Amex FHR for Amankila went up from $525 to $675/night. Amandari is still $525. Decisions, decisions...
You can ask for the original rate Amex was offering. I think they would be willing to work with you on that.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:30 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Ernst is very good about these things and usually respond very quickly. Has it been more than a day since your email? He has always responded within 24 hours or usually sooner, in my experience.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Thanks FlyerEC for the pics of Amanpuri! We are so glad we got to experience this Aman while Harish was still there and we are so glad you talked us into staying there. He, as well as everyone we interacted with back in February there were amazing.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Ernst is very good about these things and usually respond very quickly. Has it been more than a day since your email? He has always responded within 24 hours or usually sooner, in my experience.
Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
Thanks FlyerEC for the pics of Amanpuri! We are so glad we got to experience this Aman while Harish was still there and we are so glad you talked us into staying there. He, as well as everyone we interacted with back in February there were amazing.
You are very welcome , very glad you did and enjoy your stay tremendously too , 1readyset2go

Next time , Kila and perhaps we can join you too
As I have said , Ernst is very accommodating & responsive , echoed by BESVISOR above
1readyset2go and BESVISOR like this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
harish left?
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Yes , Kagehitokiri . As I was telling some FTers last month / a shortwhile back sadly ..

Originally Posted by FlyerEC

Yes , Pierre & Cédric , still in the region . Amans loss , yet again & another ‘ s worthy gain .
AMANjunkies wonder why excellent managers are not even offered alternatives within Amans .
Promotions even , & newbies are parachuted in instead .

As Aventine pointed out , perhaps now focusing on different type of guests , Amans longstanding ethos gone with the wind .. ?
Seems like discretion is not in vocabulary these days too ..
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Yes, he has moved on to another group and is no longer currently in an operational role (will be working behind the scenes for a while).
Originally Posted by scented
Forward your email conversation to Tapa or Jane and ask him if he can help on your behalf to ensure things are a little more Aman and proactive.

From the sound of it they could have been so much better.
Originally Posted by Fliar
Yes, you are right to be disappointed.
My communciations with Amans have been terrible over the years. I finally learned the lesson to find out who the GM is and contact them directly. It shouldn't be this way, but it is. Then usually things are much better.

Small example, I'm making a collage of my Aman luggage tags (nerd, I know) and realised I had three missing of the 25. I emailed them (Puri, SS and Taka) and NONE of them replied, not even to follow up emails sent a week later. Once I emailed the GM, it was all sorted in a day or so.
As I may have mentioned somewhere up thread or on another thread , the number of seasoned Aman RDs / GMs / HMs who have moved on ( or soon to be along with executive chefs ) is rather alarming . Their replacements do not have the unique GMs DNA of yore .
AmanSP still does not have a GM , Kent S of Fayun has moved on too

Will have to see about the new ones at Puri , Jena , & F & B included ..

Last edited by FlyerEC; Aug 22, 2018 at 6:18 pm
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:44 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
New ones at Jena? Where's Nicolas going?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
New ones at Jena? Where's Nicolas going?
F & B , another from FS & who does not get Aman from what I gather

Not Nicolas , thank goodness
But one should plan on being at EU Amans this year ..

Wonder who really does the selection of ‘ seniors ‘ & if any “ dd “ done ??!!
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:33 am

I am Aman newbie and will be traveling to Bali next month where I was thinking of checking out Amandari. Amex FHR has 4th night free for this property plus the usual perks. Is 4 nights too many to spend at Amandari in Ubud or should I try to split between Amandari and Amankila? Bali Break package for 3 nights is almost as expensive as 4 nights FHR rate, but spending just 1 night at either -dari or -kila seems like a waste. Any thoughts?
Amandari and Amankila are very different properties and experiences and it's a bit hard to compare them like for like.

Amankila is obviously by the beach and has incredible pools, you can catch boat trips for East Bali snorkelling, the resort is extremely quiet and fairly remote by Bali standards (the only thing anywhere nearby is an old Alila but for sure you would never want to leave Amankila to go there!)

Amandari is, imho, beautifully perched in Ubud so that it feels remote but is actually only a 5-10 minute drive to Ubud town and all the nearby bars, restaurants, yoga places, etc. Be sure to get a booking well in advance for Locavore and it's worth checking out Sayan House (just up the road from 'Dari) for awesome Latin/Japanese fusion with a great view over the Sayan valley.

If you go to 'Dari make absolute sure you get an FHR/Virtuoso upgrade from the base category room at Amandari as I believe the base category room doesn't have views over the valley - which is a big part of the magic appeal of the place for me.

The transfer between Amankila and Amandari is about 75 minutes from memory and it is quite a beautiful drive.

Aman Indo management are pretty flexible across the properties so if you or your agent let them know what you're trying to achieve with rates etc they should be able to help.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:09 am

Had not heard about this issue so far:

https://www.shine.cn/news/metro/1712117636/
Old Sep 6, 2018, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by scented
Had not heard about this issue so far:

https://www.shine.cn/news/metro/1712117636/
I heard about the ancient trees but not surprised they were not as advertised.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

nera GM left?

article suggests some trees are ancient, curious re buildings

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 6, 2018 at 11:22 am
Old Sep 8, 2018, 1:11 am

I wanted to plan a stay at Amanzoe but I must say I am doubtful after seeing some Instagram posts. The downhill trend explained here seems pretty real from what you can feel through those cheap influencers that are tagged with Amanzoe as a place.
livefromtuscany and BESVISOR like this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by mrpacifist
I wanted to plan a stay at Amanzoe but I must say I am doubtful after seeing some Instagram posts. The downhill trend explained here seems pretty real from what you can feel through those cheap influencers that are tagged with Amanzoe as a place.
You should go before Dolphin sells Zoe next year! GM is about to change now so we shall see...
Instagram nonsense mostly there in shoulder season, so not to worry don’t think they’ll feed you to those starving influencers for breakfast
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Glob, MR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by ajca
Amandari and Amankila are very different properties and experiences and it's a bit hard to compare them like for like.

Amankila is obviously by the beach and has incredible pools, you can catch boat trips for East Bali snorkelling, the resort is extremely quiet and fairly remote by Bali standards (the only thing anywhere nearby is an old Alila but for sure you would never want to leave Amankila to go there!)

Amandari is, imho, beautifully perched in Ubud so that it feels remote but is actually only a 5-10 minute drive to Ubud town and all the nearby bars, restaurants, yoga places, etc. Be sure to get a booking well in advance for Locavore and it's worth checking out Sayan House (just up the road from 'Dari) for awesome Latin/Japanese fusion with a great view over the Sayan valley.

If you go to 'Dari make absolute sure you get an FHR/Virtuoso upgrade from the base category room at Amandari as I believe the base category room doesn't have views over the valley - which is a big part of the magic appeal of the place for me.

The transfer between Amankila and Amandari is about 75 minutes from memory and it is quite a beautiful drive.

Aman Indo management are pretty flexible across the properties so if you or your agent let them know what you're trying to achieve with rates etc they should be able to help.
Booked Amex FHR rate for 4 nights at Amankila end of September. Might do a day trip to Ubud, but we'll see. Other than that, are there any recommended activities at Amankila at the resort or venturing out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.