Last edit by: IBobi
test wikipost
Print Wikipost

Amanresorts Thread 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:54 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Both pools at Kila are wonderful. But I preferred to be naked with my husband at our own private villa pool, thanks. Just as I preferred to be naked or semi-clothed at our own Borobudur pool villa at Jiwo. Or at our own Amanusa villa pool at Nusa.
I saw this coming! lol!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:56 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
I agree with you on that - bizarrely that's my favourite pool anywhere in the world. The three-tier pool is obviously gorgeous and a masterpiece of design (and very photo/Instagram friendly blah blah) but the beach club pool is very, very serene.

We weren't entirely alone in the pool - there was at least one other family (different ones each time) the whole time we were there but we enjoyed relaxing by the pool, and also ended up water polo with the family's kids.

It's also a very well-designed pool.
Yeah, definitely the most relaxing pool on site. The lushness adds to it for sure, feeling serene, to your point.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:03 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Both pools at Kila are wonderful. But I preferred to be naked with my husband at our own private villa pool, thanks. Just as I preferred to be naked or semi-clothed at our own Borobudur pool villa at Jiwo. Or at our own Amanusa villa pool at Nusa.
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
I saw this coming! lol!
Well, I do need to keep giving @MacMyDay fodder for his fantasies.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:45 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

I highly recommend besvisors Instagram to you sir. Pools, killer abs and lots of dom. Pure bliss!
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: some
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Depends what your budget is.

At Amankila, my favourite room is definitely the Kilasari Suite (see more here, including pics): https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk/aman...-hotel-review/
I didn't like the Kilasari suite too much. I much preferred the Amankila suite (2 separate rooms). I agree that the ocean view suites are better than the pool suites.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Fliar
I didn't like the Kilasari suite too much. I much preferred the Amankila suite (2 separate rooms). I agree that the ocean view suites are better than the pool suites.
Can you elaborate a bit?

I'm asking because I'm planning on doing a 3rd trip to Kila next year and am debating Kilasari vs. Indrakila (did Ocean Suites the last 2 visits). I like the infinity pool in the Kilasari suite, and from past visits walking around I would assume the view was decent given how up it is. Whereas Indrakila definitely have the much more open, ocean view.

Any details are greatly appreciated!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:27 am

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Disappointing Dinner at Amandari

Off topic for where this thread is at the moment, but report on our anniversary dinner at Amandari last week. We were staying in closer in Ubud at the Komaneka and planned a 20th anniversary dinner there. Our experience was very disappointing to say the least:

The hotel looked and felt deserted. We arrived before 6 to get a drink and there was one other couple in the lounge area and the only other people in sight - including at the front desk - except the bartender. My martini was lukewarm. I needed to use the rest room and the bartender gestured the directions, but I picked the wrong hallway and there was no one at the front desk to ask. He was the only staff member in sight and eventually he came over to help. The toilet in the ladies room had a separate door and was the size of an small airplane bathroom and a challenge to turn around in for a normal size person.

When we went to dinner the very young woman at the podium (she really did look about 14) did not speak very much English and did not understand that we had a reservation, that the hotel had called twice to confirm the reservation and the occasion. She just kept repeating "table for two?" It felt a bit like Denny's. The restaurant was empty when we sat down but eventually 3 or 4 tables were seated. All of the staff seemed extremely young and inexperienced and I wondered if they were in training. The food was fine, but only OK. Finally toward the end of dinner a chef, or at least a grown up from the kitchen, came to say hello and they did bring us a piece of chocolate cake. The whole dinner was underwhelming and I wished we had gone elsewhere. Lobby and lounge still looked deserted when we left although there was one staff to see us to the car.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:06 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mstraveler
Off topic for where this thread is at the moment, but report on our anniversary dinner at Amandari last week. We were staying in closer in Ubud at the Komaneka and planned a 20th anniversary dinner there. Our experience was very disappointing to say the least.
Sounds just like my wife's birthday dinner at Amandari last year, with the only difference that we were staying guests at Aman, and that we didn't get any cake or anything else, as they failed to acknowledge her birthday in any way. The GM Jan H. was apologetic, but completely indifferent, and service recovery was non-existent. Sadly, he's still with Aman while a lot more good managers have left.

This was the first Aman stay where we went out for dinner to another property (the RC Mandapa) and wished we had stayed there instead.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:06 am

Oh my... still reeling from AmanSS news and now this. Was Jann H. off property during your visit?

Regarding their cuisine, I was never completely blown away by Bernhard’s fare while he was there, to put it mildly, but I wonder who followed.

Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:09 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Of all the special Aman dinners we’ve had; Amandari was the most disappointing. I found their day to day good to be ok, but that dinner didn’t do anything for me.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:37 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by scented
Oh my... still reeling from AmanSS news and now this. Was Jann H. off property during your visit?
He was off property on my wife's birthday, but back the next day, when we shared this issue and a some other - minor and larger - issues with him. Let's just say he did not handle it well.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:05 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

having returned from I believe my 8th Aman, I am left with the view that the brand is overrated, overpriced and that it looks very tired. I believe that my most recent stay at the brand will be my last.

My guess is that the brand will increase commission rates for agents to drum up business.
Fliar likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:09 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
I thought you had a good stay at Amanyara (?) apart from the food or something like that @DSI
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:23 am

Sorry - I put this in the Aman Sveti Stefan thread initially. Here it is again:-

Aman are about to launch, globally, their new Aman Skincare, which is rumoured to have been manufactured by ILA.
All-black bottles and jars again, but it looks as though it is plastic this time instead of glass.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:58 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Sorry - I put this in the Aman Sveti Stefan thread initially. Here it is again:-

Aman are about to launch, globally, their new Aman Skincare, which is rumoured to have been manufactured by ILA.
All-black bottles and jars again, but it looks as though it is plastic this time instead of glass.
Oh. Dear.
FlyerEC and jbeans like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.