test wikipost
Print Wikipost

Amanresorts Thread 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bhrubin

Haha, well you may be right— but then I’ve never stayed at the one Iniala property and wouldn’t characterize any one property as an appropriate comparison benchmark. We are talking about a group of 30+ Aman properties. Iniala and other one off or “a few properties” portfolio groups are distinct IMO, much as too many would prefer to think otherwise. Iniala may be a benchmark in Asia, but until Iniala has properties in N. America and Europe, it’s not the benchmark you may wish it to be.
This
nmuva98 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I sometimes think that Aman actually hasn't changed much...and the rest of the luxury market has caught up in many instances.
Yes! What was absolutely groundbreaking way back when has now become just another option.
FlyerEC, bhrubin and jbeans like this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:30 am

It's too bad that I never got to experience the true "Aman service" that many reminisce about here. When I was at Amankila earlier this year, I thought it was a very good 5-star resort, but I didn't experience anything out of the ordinary that blew me away. I'll still keep Amans as options if there's one where I'm traveling to, but I don't see myself going out of my way to seek them out.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by TheBrownPrince
Would you know where the old, more discreet, crowd prefers to vacation nowadays?
You mean in Phuket? Trisara and Anantara Layan (both with ex-Aman GMs)
FlyerEC and BESVISOR like this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:01 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
The value for multi bedroom villas at Anantara Layan is very good!
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
You mean in Phuket? Trisara and Anantara Layan (both with ex-Aman GMs)
Thanks for this. I wasn't aware that Anantara was an option for Amanjunkies but I guess those in the know look beyond brand names and into who's managing what. Would there be any group around the world though that now consistently attracts the "old" Aman clientčle or do people now prefer to go to independents?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:30 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by TheBrownPrince
Thanks for this. I wasn't aware that Anantara was an option for Amanjunkies but I guess those in the know look beyond brand names and into who's managing what. Would there be any group around the world though that now consistently attracts the "old" Aman clientčle or do people now prefer to go to independents?
Different thread for it, but know of a few people now who complained about Anantara constantly trying to upsell their Vacation Club Membership at every single Anantara to every single guest.

The villas are stunning at Anantara Layan and I'm guessing those owning them often stay there during festive season.
I highly doubt the resort itself is attracting the "former Aman" crowd though.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Different thread for it, but know of a few people now who complained about Anantara constantly trying to upsell their Vacation Club Membership at every single Anantara to every single guest.

The villas are stunning at Anantara Layan and I'm guessing those owning them often stay there during festive season.
You should read through the recent Gallivanter’s issue on Phuket, I find it covers this aspect quite nicely and I think you are right. I thought they villas look stunning, but I would rather not venture over to the resort.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

aman is more like independent than brand, compared to all other brands
for a few here, its only 'brand' of interest, excluding safari companies
i am one of them, solely because of scale, which will remain unique

not everyone compares aman and others and sees as equivalent
IMHO no brands are absolutely equivalent, even if pretty close
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:13 am

I promise you they are, as I met a couple when there. They tend to stay in their villas, as the main resort is still as it was, although a refurbishment is happening this year.

To some guests, having the right GM and staff + spacious, well-done accommodation matters more than the brand.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

aman and independents would not be capable of their highs without dependence on GM

of course villa guest friends of ex puri GM will follow, posts here said he focused on villas

to clarify last comment in last post, i meant no brand equivalent to any other, not just aman

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 29, 2018 at 11:50 am
Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:18 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..

Originally Posted by scented

You should read through the recent Gallivanter’s issue on Phuket, I find it covers this aspect quite nicely and I think you are right. I thought they villas look stunning, but I would rather not venture over to the resort.

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I promise you they are, as I met a couple when there. They tend to stay in their villas, as the main resort is still as it was, although a refurbishment is happening this year.

To some guests, having the right GM and staff + spacious, well-done accommodation matters more than the brand.
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
aman and independents would not be capable of their highs without dependence on GM

of course villa guest friends of ex puri GM will follow, posts here said he focused on villas

to clarify last comment in last post, i meant no brand equivalent to any other, not just aman
About finished with my Puri TR .

Since RichardinSF mentioned “ hoi polloi “ , then KatW said ‘ Jim and I are hobos ! ‘ in another thread on this forum , guess I would not be censured for using them potentially for some more recent guests at some Amans ( albeit rich ones or nouveau riche / “ wannabes “ ? & learning new term - ‘ influencers ? ‘ ) ..

Dread to think who are possibly photobombed in the shots by the tripod cameras that were set up , on Kila beach for one .. just hope we were not .
There seems to be a new trend for enormous floats too ..

Where was that drone from ? - thankfully not at Kila .

Anantara ‘ s owner also owns the Marriott Vacation Clubs in Phuket so of course he has picked the ins & outs of doing similar with his properties . Arguably , better than Marriott ‘ s if somewhat congested ..

But not too near Puri & not on nice beaches ..

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jul 27, 2018 at 1:38 am Reason: Please excuse iPad typos ; FT edit / scrolling issues
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Made a booking at Aman Sveti Stefan and our communications with the Activities Team have been quite disappointing.

Pretty much anything I've asked they've replied with an answer that seems like they have zero interest in helping me with anything outside the trips they sell.

My experience with Aman in the past has been that they'll help with pretty much anything and try and go above and beyond. Thus far, this has not been the case.

I emailed asking about the possibility of them getting a luxury car for us for a half day from a local rental car service so we can tour on our own and their answer was to cite a website of a car rental place nearby.

I asked about some recommendations for activities in the evening that might be interesting and they replied "There is nothing at hotel but you may find something in Budva". When I followed up w some more about ourselves and what we like and don't like they replied with "In Budva you can find lot of different type of entertainment (concerts, theater, night clubs, restaurants etc.)".

Am I wrong to be disappointed with this kind of service?

(On the flip side, F&B has been fantastic discussing options for our limited diet)
Old Jul 28, 2018, 2:23 am

Forward your email conversation to Tapa or Jane and ask him if he can help on your behalf to ensure things are a little more Aman and proactive.

From the sound of it they could have been so much better.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: some
Yes, you are right to be disappointed.
My communciations with Amans have been terrible over the years. I finally learned the lesson to find out who the GM is and contact them directly. It shouldn't be this way, but it is. Then usually things are much better.

Small example, I'm making a collage of my Aman luggage tags (nerd, I know) and realised I had three missing of the 25. I emailed them (Puri, SS and Taka) and NONE of them replied, not even to follow up emails sent a week later. Once I emailed the GM, it was all sorted in a day or so.
FlyerEC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.