Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Furious, being walked by Cheval Blanc Randheli (Maldives)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Furious, being walked by Cheval Blanc Randheli (Maldives)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Michael82
Lets face it, someone who books a room in the maldives in the low season, usually cant afford said hotel in the high season. (CBR costs 3x in high compared to low season)
This is not an important guest.
Since Hotels during that time in the maldives are far from full, any Hotel would be god damn stupid to not accept a buyout offer at that time.
Not true re "not important". I am not otherwise occupied, so I often do target low/shoulder season for better rates and upgrades, as well as lower occupancy. And I often stay considerably longer than average and have significant F&B, spa, and activity/excursion spend.

Hotels value ALL revenue when low/less than full occupancy.

But I am fundamentally in agreement with your point that the hotel had every right to cancel for buyout. While it was initially not handled as well as it could have been, I think what has been offered is extremely generous. I personally would be jumping with joy and thinking of what kind of fabulous excursion I could take, or how I could add more time at one of these properties, with the money saved in this case as a result of cancellation and comped alternative accommodation.

FWIW, as much as I like Gathy design, I am not planning to go to CBR anytime soon. I am more of a Soneva/Gili Lankanfushi kind of person, or Four Seasons, etc... As a fan of Jean-Michel Gathy's designs, I do still have a stay in a Grand overwater villa at OO RR on my bucket list, despite the fact that the "crowd" at that resort doesn't necessarily suit me. I'll go in the low season during a good weather period and keep to myself.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:08 am

Completely agree in general, but its a known fact that the best Weather in the Maldives is from dec/Jan till March/April. Crowds are never an issue in the maldives and its defintaley not a place where you want 1 week of rain... (which can easily happen during the shoulder/low season).
Of course you can have perfect weather in the low seasons, but chances of that are much lower.
That's not actually true about the Maldives. December can be a very wet month - in fact we once went over the festive period and it rained and rained and rained. The best month is easily February when (festive periods aside) rates are at their highest. By stark contrast we've also been in June (low season) and we didn't see any rain during our entire stay. The tropics always have unpredictable weather and I've come never to expect perfect weather whenever we go.

I don't subscribe to the logic that if you go during low season you can't afford peak season and I use my own travel habits as evidence of that. Our travel plans are predominantly dictated by more work schedule. That said we do have specific holidays we always do at the same time of year (August = Cote d'Azur).

Despite all the hassle the OP had I would still plan a stay at CBR.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Not true re "not important". I am not otherwise occupied, so I often do target low/shoulder season for better rates and upgrades, as well as lower occupancy. And I often stay considerably longer than average and have significant F&B, spa, and activity/excursion spend.

Hotels value ALL revenue when low/less than full occupancy.

But I am fundamentally in agreement with your point that the hotel had every right to cancel for buyout. While it was initially not handled as well as it could have been, I think what has been offered is extremely generous. I personally would be jumping with joy and thinking of what kind of fabulous excursion I could take, or how I could add more time at one of these properties, with the money saved in this case as a result of cancellation and comped alternative accommodation.

FWIW, as much as I like Gathy design, I am not planning to go to CBR anytime soon. I am more of a Soneva/Gili Lankanfushi kind of person, or Four Seasons, etc... As a fan of Jean-Michel Gathy's designs, I do still have a stay in a Grand overwater villa at OO RR on my bucket list, despite the fact that the "crowd" at that resort doesn't necessarily suit me. I'll go in the low season during a good weather period and keep to myself.
Dont book a grand overwater villa at the o and o... not worth the money. All water villas offer low to no privacy (decks can be viewed from the beaches or other villas).
Not worth the money they ask. Would always opt for a beach villa at OO.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:13 am

Dont book a grand overwater villa at the o and o... not worth the money. All water villas offer low to no privacy (decks can be viewed from the beaches or other villas).
Not worth the money they ask. Would always opt for a beach villa at OO.
Really, even "Grand" i.e. top overwaters? Layout in smaller clusters on jetties in around the island seem to be relatively low density. (Even though virtually everything is high density in Maldives, save perhaps FS private island etc...)

Grand beach Villas (one and two bedrooms) really are tempting. They have those GORGEOUS Gathy designed private pools...

If I targeted a low occupancy period with good weather, maybe I could have my choice of Grand water or Grand beach upon arrival. Or split the stay.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Lets face it, someone who books a room in the maldives in the low season, usually cant afford said hotel in the high season. (CBR costs 3x in high compared to low season)
This is not an important guest.
Since Hotels during that time in the maldives are far from full, any Hotel would be god damn stupid to not accept a buyout offer at that time.
My work dictates when i can go away. So travelling in low season doesn't mean i am too poor to go in high season.
Buster, QPRfan and Quinlanty like this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
No. It may be and nothing bad about it but reason can also be that someone die on't WANT to pay high season rates or at some places high season is even worse than low season
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
No. It may be and nothing bad about it but reason can also be that someone die on't WANT to pay high season rates or at some places high season is even worse than low season
Exactly. And if someone isn't constrained by children's school holidays etc... it makes absolutely perfect sense to NOT go when full occupancy - including all of the children etc...(don't get me wrong I do love kids), and lack of upgrade availability - when you can have a BETTER experience for less if you choose different dates.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Cheval Blanc Randheli sold out in mid-August. I've seen Velaa and Soneva Jani also sell out in off-peak/low season times.
Jani was sold out from mid July. Rates in general were also higher starting mid July because of European school holidays. Jani had a special promo (IIRC with free transfers and half board) that ended end of June. Maldives resorts are very much aware of the European school holidays.

I have kids who have to attend school so if we want a 2 weeks holiday in Maldives, there really aren't much options besides EU Summer and Christmas/NYE.

We had lovely weather by the way, apart from 2 days with a bit of rain.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 11:43 pm

Really, even "Grand" i.e. top overwaters? Layout in smaller clusters on jetties in around the island seem to be relatively low density. (Even though virtually everything is high density in Maldives, save perhaps FS private island etc...)

Grand beach Villas (one and two bedrooms) really are tempting. They have those GORGEOUS Gathy designed private pools...

If I targeted a low occupancy period with good weather, maybe I could have my choice of Grand water or Grand beach upon arrival. Or split the stay.
Yes, even the grand water villas. We stayed in a water villa with pool right next to a grand water villa. Wouldnt recommend either...
There are 1 or 2 which really face the sea and are more private, the rest not so and too expensive for what they offer anyhow.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:47 am

Yes, even the grand water villas. We stayed in a water villa with pool right next to a grand water villa. Wouldnt recommend either...
There are 1 or 2 which really face the sea and are more private, the rest not so and too expensive for what they offer anyhow.
We've never stayed in any category of Water Villa at O&O. However, we've stayed in a Beach Villa with a Pool and a Grand Beach Villa and they're both excellent! The Grand Beach Villa is especially nice given the oversized pool, private golf buggy and day bed outside. I actually think the novelty of a Water Villa wears off very quickly. We've tried them twice at other Maldives resorts and realise we definitely prefer a Beach Villa - especially a Gathy designed one.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:33 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by jonjparr
We've never stayed in any category of Water Villa at O&O. However, we've stayed in a Beach Villa with a Pool and a Grand Beach Villa and they're both excellent! The Grand Beach Villa is especially nice given the oversized pool, private golf buggy and day bed outside. I actually think the novelty of a Water Villa wears off very quickly. We've tried them twice at other Maldives resorts and realise we definitely prefer a Beach Villa - especially a Gathy designed one.
Same here - I can see why people want to do it as a 'once in a lifetime' kind of thing, but after the novelty has worn off after a couple of hours after entering the room, all you really want is a nice private beach on which to relax!

Now if you're staying in a water villa, that means going all the way to the resort's main beach...
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Same here - I can see why people want to do it as a 'once in a lifetime' kind of thing, but after the novelty has worn off after a couple of hours after entering the room, all you really want is a nice private beach on which to relax!

Now if you're staying in a water villa, that means going all the way to the resort's main beach...
Exactly! We once stayed in a Water Villa that was almost 500 metres out to sea and during a huge tropical storm overnight I was more than a bit concerned we were going to be swept away. When it came light the next morning all the cushions from the deck furniture were gone!
Aventine likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:40 am

By the way: looking at the current weather in male for the next 2 weeks:
Between 0-5 hrs of sun and between 90-99% chance of rain every single day...
Ill stick to high season....
Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:00 am

By the way: looking at the current weather in male for the next 2 weeks:
Between 0-5 hrs of sun and between 90-99% chance of rain every single day...
Ill stick to high season....
Which could of course mean rain overnight.... but I take your point the weather is not so stable in September.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FS washington displaced guests for saudi king, reported in nypost, dailymail, etc >

Guests who had booked to stay at the Four Seasons during the royal visit have apparently been moved to other luxury hotels in town. A call to the Four Seasons confirmed the hotel is sold out Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.
FS LG 2BR overwaters do look nice, as do some others

FS private island
coco prive is actually 'affordable'
was from 8K, island, up to 6BR

FS island includes yacht in rate
havent seen low season rate
not sure if cheval incl yacht

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 6, 2017 at 10:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.