Wiki Posts
Search

Amanresorts Thread 2017

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:44 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I give you my husband at Amansara in Jan 2012 drying the clothes he had just washed in his sink. #allclass #nicebutt

Name:  1010807_10152255625769880_1821419151_n.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  84.4 KB
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:50 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I give you my husband at Amansara in Jan 2012 drying the clothes he had just washed in his sink. #allclass #nicebutt

Attachment 39879

#agreed

i thought Amansara included laundry?

fdw
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:57 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
#agreed

i thought Amansara included laundry?

fdw
It was 2012. I honestly don't remember. But if my hubby was washing laundry himself, it probably wasn't included then.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:24 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

It was 2012. I honestly don't remember. But if my hubby was washing laundry himself, it probably wasn't included then.
also glad to see we're not the only one. This was after Greek ATC went on strike and we weren't sure we'd ever get our....

bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
great to hear! how was it vs expectations?

linkedin.com/in/david-garcia-abbba324
wonder whether Acting or promoted

tokyo seems to have Acting GM at moment
yara move may still be pending

edit - it would be interesting if hotels offered different levels of service for laundry

Definitely exceeded expectations! I had high ones especially since I've been disappointed in the past by luxury hotels. Everything about the experience was exactly as I had read, from pick up to welcome to house cleaning, etc. My room had a weird smell in it the first day (I have a sensitive nose) and they ended up upgrading me to a Pool Suite no questions asked. All the excursions were incredibly well thought out, and everyone was just really nice. I was also impressed by the cultural immersion as that's always one thing I feel like I lack when I go on vacation and stay at a nice place.

During my stay, I ended up meeting someone who works for Aman PR in london, and my sense is that the Amans in Asia far surpass most of the other ones around the world, especially in terms of service. I just cant imagine that the North American Amans would have the same level.

Can't wait for my next experience!!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mad07
?..my sense is that the Amans in Asia far surpass most of the other ones around the world, especially in terms of service. I just cant imagine that the North American Amans would have the same level.
True dat. But that consideration is also largely true for all comparable luxury hotel and resort brands in most places in Asia--especially Southeast Asia and India, but definitely not China--when compared with other properties in N. America, Europe, and the Middle East.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:51 pm

Attachment 39879
That is, indeed, a very admirable butt.

In terms of laundry, I must admit to being a sucker. When traveling, I do not want to wake up and immediately have to worry about gathering the dirty clothes together and finding some reasonably priced laundry. Nor do I relish spending time washing underwear in a sink. I am quite content (lazy?) to pay $7 to have the hotel wash my $2 pair of Jockey briefs. Besides, I like the grand presentation associated with the return of the now-clean clothes: everything folded so beautifully, tucked away in a wicker basket with a lovely orchid placed on top.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Vaterland
That is, indeed, a very admirable butt.

In terms of laundry, I must admit to being a sucker. When traveling, I do not want to wake up and immediately have to worry about gathering the dirty clothes together and finding some reasonably priced laundry. Nor do I relish spending time washing underwear in a sink. I am quite content (lazy?) to pay $7 to have the hotel wash my $2 pair of Jockey briefs. Besides, I like the grand presentation associated with the return of the now-clean clothes: everything folded so beautifully, tucked away in a wicker basket with a lovely orchid placed on top.

Please don't misunderstand: I'm with you!

While my husband was washing and drying his own laundry, I used the Amansara laundry service and didn't think twice. I did the same at Amanbagh. My feeling is that if I want laundry done on holiday, I want it done right (and with assurances in case it isn't done right). If I don't mind paying exorbitant rates for the Aman in the first place, I find it laughable to mind paying exorbitant rates for the rare and small amount of laundry I may occasionally need.

I also typically fly with only a carry-on bag. So I know I might have to do laundry (especially underwear) at some point. Cost of doing business...and for traveling light. #badgay
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 3:58 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..

Please don't misunderstand: I'm with you!

I also typically fly with only a carry-on bag. So I know I might have to do laundry (especially underwear) at some point. Cost of doing business...and for traveling light. #badgay
Unlike you , I often do not travel light . Especially with changes in the already variable weather like now . This trip for Wales & England , have stuff for country & city - London & the potential AmanSS & AmanGV which is now not happening
Plus began with overnight in MOHK ..

So like 3 check in & numerous hand " carries " depending on how well I reorganised plus shopping & such .
Farewell mementos including 2 cakes / bottled mineral water from LMAQS !

Looking at some of my " laundry " or being steamed to straighten - over the heated towel rails & bathtub , if it has dried overnight !
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Advantage of city Amans. Can buy all new wardrobe if so inclined.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aventine
Advantage of city Amans. Can buy all new wardrobe if so inclined.
Disadvantage of city Amans...as there usually are several hotel alternatives that are just as or almost as good, always much cheaper, and always with cheaper laundry services--not to mention cheaper laundry services outside hotels. And you still can buy new wardrobes if so inclined!
Aventine likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

indonesia currently barely any peak rates, and low

kila dari jiwo
(900) 950 dec 22 - jan 4 ; dec 21 - jan 4
(650) 800 feb 15-22 ; mar 29 - apr 4 ; jul 14 - aug 31

nusa same except >
(900) 950 dec 26 - jan 4 ; dec 26 - jan 4
(650) 800 dec 22-25 2017

wana similar except >
(925) 975 dec 22 - jan 4 ; dec 21 - jan 4
(825) 975 aug 1-31
(675) 825 feb 15-22 ; mar 29 - apr 4 ; jul 14-31

cant check rates for Bali Experience, Bali & Beyond, Temples & Reefs

wana no longer single occupancy discount, had begun at one point
(still single discount = sara , taka , galla - have any others begun?)

aman.com/resorts/amanjiwo/anniversary-year
ON THE 20TH OF EACH MONTH...With Borobudur itself illuminated specially for the occasion, the evening commences with cocktails and a talk on the monument's history and significance, before a dinner of Javanese delicacies

Exhibitions representing established and up-and-coming artists will be held throughout the year
aman.com/resorts/amankila/anniversary-year
ON THE 25TH OF EACH MONTH...Gather for a special dinner to experience megibung, the communal dining tradition of East Bali, and rijsttafel, the colonial banquet inspired by a variety of ethnic cuisines
petriepr.com/amankila-and-amanjiwo-mark-their-anniversaries-with-calenders-of-cultural-spectacular-for-2017/

(yara did similar for 10 year anniversary last year)

dari - do they still do annual temple ceremony at hotel in april ?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 18, 2017 at 11:05 am
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

giri >
1450 dec
1400 jan feb
1550 nov dec jan feb

giri full board value = 150pp (what they charge guests in 4BR)

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
instagram.com/p/BZLey_5n6U1
Amanera...newly constructed Aman Residences
if more 2BRs, might drop current rates as only 1 right now
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

amankora >
dealstreetasia.com/stories/ifc-proposes-follow-investment-5-4m-bhutan-resorts-77736/
July 14, 2017

$5.4 million in the form of a loan to support the brownfield expansion and renovation of resorts of Bhutan Resorts Private Limited (BRPL)...follow-on investment as IFC has backed the greenfield [new construction] project.

Being part of Aman Resorts group, famous for its luxury hotels, the project involves adding guest rooms and upgrading five existing resorts of BRPL. Silverlink Resorts Limited, a privately held holding company of Aman Resorts group, owns 90 per cent stake in BRPL while the remaining 10 per cent is owned by Bhutan Tourism Corporation Limited.
one of them recently added a pool. seem to recall i saw it was 50-50 not 90-10.

seems ctidigital did latest website

im guessing one of original owners of playa grande had connection to SLS/SBE (1st and 3rd GMs)

tokyo restaurant review >
japantoday.com/category/features/food/beyond-a-place-to-dine-the-restaurant-by-aman-tokyo-is-a-destination

some photos of owner's apartment at venice >
footwearnews.com/2016/fashion/designers/vibi-venezia-viola-vera-arrivabene-furlanes-slippers-brand-282503/

aman.com/leadership
Managing Director, Operations – Ferdinand Wortelboer (joined aman 2000 or prior)

re ex aman, outside melbourne >
goodfood.com.au/eat-out/just-open/luxury-restaurant-doot-doot-doot-opens-on-mornington-peninsula-20161205-gt4kx3

Opening an upmarket restaurant on the Mornington Peninsula with the moniker Doot Doot Doot is a bold statement of intent....New Zealand-born chef Guy Stanaway, recently of Aman Resorts, is in charge of the kitchen

Willow Creek Vineyard development, which includes 46-room luxury hotel Jackalope [ex aman GM]
gourmettraveller.com.au/travel/travel-news-features/2016/12/how-to-make-your-holiday-guests-feel-welcome-tips-from-top-hoteliers/
Anneke Brown [also ex aman] general manager of GT's Hotel of the Year, COMO The Treasury (comohotels.com) in Perth, says first impressions matter. "Spend time making sure your home looks warm and welcoming," she says. "The bedroom needs to feel homely, with a collection of good reading books and magazines, slippers by the bed, crisp white sheets and fluffy towels."

The group general manager of Jackalope Hotels (jackalopehotels.com), Tracy Atherton, offers inspiration from her time at Aman. "I was taught by Adrian Zecha, former chairman of Aman Resorts, that we should always welcome guests as if we are welcoming our good friends into our home," she says. "To me, that means getting a good drink into their hand as shortly after arrival as possible and showing genuine warmth and care with every interaction throughout their stay."
phulay bay GM tessa gorman ex aman - puri / nusa

kevin brooke became GM cliveden oct 1 2016, prior GM moved to whatley manor
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post28604066 - seems tough job
uggboy likes this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 19, 2017 at 6:16 pm
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:58 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
From what the Kora guide on exchanges to Kila , new developments are happening in Kora .

The swimming pool in Amankora Punakha will be ready by end of September . Also the rates for helicopter for helicopter trips are supposed to be more reasonable now .

Decided against visiting Cliveden / Kevin B after feedback by MacMyDay

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.