MO Bangkok

Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok

Map| 6 Reviews | 67% Recommended

48 Oriental Avenue Bangkok, TH 10500

MO Bangkok (2 Photos)

Check In

MO-lobby.JPGAs I had booked under FHR CTS, I was entitled to a noon check in. However horrible mid-day Bangkok traffic led to a 2pm check in. The lobby is glorious, but we were whisked away to in-room check in. I had been upgraded at time of booking to a Mandarin room, on the 14th floor. The FHR benefits came with 4th night free, full buffet breakfast, $300 of Spa and F&B credits, free wifi, 4pm checkout, etc. 

Room

bangkok-room-mandarin-room.jpegA Mandarin room is the lowest level I would choose at this hotel. It is quite large with a huge bathroom and closet, plus a nice corner balcony with 270 degree wraparound views, looking straight up the river as well as across the city. 

The desk is fully equipped with all types of electrical ports and a full set of office supplies. We were welcomed with fresh lemongrass tea and a display of French macaroons, chocolates, fruit and various other treats. 

Service

Simply the finest service in the world. You are greeted at the door and give Pulmeria (or Pulmeria-like) bracelets, whisked up to your room/suite for in-room check in. Your butler brings tea and offers to unpack for you, etc. We tried the butler packing before checkout and it was amazing what they accomplished. My shoes were shined each day by magic it seemed. Any clothes left out were folded and put in an appropriate place. After we came back from dinner, we found a thank you note in the room for dining with the hotel, etc. I'm not sure there is more to say about how great the service is, except that most of the staff is there for life. Our butler had 17 years and the great Khun Ankana has been there since 1949!

And let's not forget about the spa! Your skin will be positively glowing after a fine treatment at the Oriental Spa. I love the relaxing slow boat trip across the river to the spa, gym or the excellent Thai restaurant. 

The pool has great service too. The staff are always coming around wtih food, drink, ice cream, etc. And when an afternoon rain shower hit, they had umbrellas instantly ready. 

Dining

We had dinner at Le Normandie which is not only the finest French restaurant in Thailand, but argueably all of Asia. And breakfast each morning on the river is amazing. Also the constant num-nums served by the pool and even the room service is excellent.

RIght on the river, which is great for tourists. You can also take the boat to the skytrain if you need to really get around the city.

Overall

Overall, this hotel was traditionally regarded as the worlds finest hotel for decades. It may have slipped a bit 10 or 15 years or so ago, but now it is back on top again. And booking with FHR is an easy choice with the upgrade at time of booking and all the great benefits. 

MO Bangkok

Would you like to write a review on the Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok?

No, thank you.
Yes
dylanc likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:58 pm
Mandarin Oriental Contributor BadgeAman 10+ Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Thanks for your brief update .
Glad to hear about Le Normandie
Old Aug 16, 2016, 5:03 pm

I love how you mentioned all the little details and hallmarks of the service that make a stay so special there.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Sounds good! Thanks
Old Aug 17, 2016, 3:58 am

Great review - sums up our experience last year. We had the same room type but our balcony was facing the other way (do you recall your room no so I can request it next time) but still had river views. Did you get a large white chocolate elephant as part of your welcome gift - it was a shame to eat there with all the great food so I saved it (the cake shop in the lobby gave me a box and bag to pack it in) - unfortunately I left it in the taxi in HK!
Old Aug 17, 2016, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by quitecontrary
large white chocolate elephant
They have white choclate elephants? Wow! Must really visit! You don´t have a picture?
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by quitecontrary
Great review - sums up our experience last year. We had the same room type but our balcony was facing the other way (do you recall your room no so I can request it next time) but still had river views. Did you get a large white chocolate elephant as part of your welcome gift - it was a shame to eat there with all the great food so I saved it (the cake shop in the lobby gave me a box and bag to pack it in) - unfortunately I left it in the taxi in HK!
Each time I stay the welcome amenities are different. And each time I stay in a Mandarin room it is an x29 which is at the end of the hallway, facing north up the river.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is the stateroom layout better than authors suite ?
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
is the stateroom layout better than authors suite ?
I'm don't think I've ever been in an Authors suite and they've changed recently I think. It's hard to remember each room I've had over the last 20 years, but they've all been great. Except the one time I was in a normal deluxe room. That's why I know you want a Mandarin room at the minimum.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

staterooms (riverfront corner) have been #1 recommended here, some extensive discussion in past. authors suites (riverfront corner) are above staterooms. (as opposed to the old/prior heritage authors suites in authors wing.) mandarin rooms are similar to but not the same as staterooms, located on the opposite side away from river.

i would likely book stateroom, and or royal suite for amazing terrace, might be better than oriental suite.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 18, 2016 at 9:31 am
Old Aug 17, 2016, 9:14 am

Since the recent refurbishment, the best accommodation is to be found in the Garden Wing - even the rooms are beautiful.

The Author's Wing is nothing like it was. All the old, tired suites, such as Michener, are gone - replaced by two massive suites. The new look (which is actually a very faithful renovation, with stacks of quality rather than cheap, fake reproduction furniture) extends into the Garden Wing, so this is now by far the best place to stay.

Hopefully, they will renovate the River Wing at some point, to fit in with the new look.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:24 pm

Agreed, wonderful and very special hotel!
Old Aug 17, 2016, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Huh. The Mandarin Room looks about as boring/corporate as the Deluxe room I had in June.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rjque
Huh. The Mandarin Room looks about as boring/corporate as the Deluxe room I had in June.
Then I guess the pictures don't do it justice. I've been in both rooms and the Mandarin is nothing like the deluxe.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
Then I guess the pictures don't do it justice. I've been in both rooms and the Mandarin is nothing like the deluxe.
I'm just talking about the decor, not the layout. It's the same furniture and soft goods as in the Deluxe (though there is more of it in the Mandarin) and I found the decor to be quite Marriott-like and not luxurious. The curtains are the same in both rooms, and the curtains in my Deluxe room had some miscellaneous stains on them. I originally thought the Deluxe room may not have been renovated, but apparently this is the renovation.

It's still a beautiful hotel in the public spaces, but the rooms I've seen (which are admittedly small in number) do not appear to be anything special.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.