Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oman Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2021, 9:03 am

Setting off from the UAE on a trip to the Alila Hinu Bay (4 nights) and Alila Jabal Akhdar (3 nights) tomorrow. I'm flying to SLL because I couldn't really face the prospect of multiple long drives, so I'm renting a car at both SLL and MCT to get to the hotels and to get around.

I'm Globalist and the hotels have confirmed generous upgrades in advance without using any certificates; as I'm planning to spend most of the time in the hotels, the nicer rooms would be very appreciated.

The rate at Hinu Bay is very good, 90OMR per night including property credit of 25OMR per night. Rate at Jabal Akhdar is extortionate because of the long weekend in the UAE and half term, so it was good to dump the Hyatt points that I have been building up for some time (I booked three rooms in total). Hotel is in fact sold out for next Thurs/Fri night.

In terms of entry formalities, eMushrif worked without any issues and I have generated the requisite traveller registration forms, so hopefully no other surprises. Alila Jabal Akhdar doesn't offer PCR testing on site for my return to DXB, but there is a hospital at the base of the mountain where they say I can get it done.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 4:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
What is this requirement of vaccine proof and test results having QR code? QR code by itself is just text which is meaningless without a standard around how the text should be structured. Which vaccine credentials standard is Oman expecting?
Old Oct 24, 2021, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
What is this requirement of vaccine proof and test results having QR code? QR code by itself is just text which is meaningless without a standard around how the text should be structured. Which vaccine credentials standard is Oman expecting?
Just guessing here but this might have to do with the EU Digital Certificate, which has a QR Code and authorities in most countries are able to read those and run the encoded number though a database. Not sure how it works in the US.

I have just received my entry approval from Qatar (I'm heading to FS Doha) and they have specifically asked for the EU Certificate and that QR Code. All went smooth and fairly easy!
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 9:31 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Hi all -

Just wanted to share a quick update regarding PCR testing in Oman. In June 2021, the government mandated that private establishments cannot charge more than 15 OMR for a reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction [RT-PCR] test, and as such, most private hospitals now charge anywhere between 11-15 OMR for a PCR test. The government-run drive-thru testing site at Muscat International Airport, however, charges 19 OMR. The key difference between the two is that the airport site allows you to download your test results online, while private clinics require you to physically return to collect your results in-person.

I also wanted to share my experience with a wildly irritating scam that Oman is pushing: the Ministry of Health travel certificate. The government says that if you are traveling out of Oman, you MUST pay for a PCR test in addition to a 6 OMR fee for a travel certificate issued by the MOH. If you get tested at the airport drive-thru, you can pay for the certificate online and it auto-generates a template that you can print out. If you get tested elsewhere, you have to pay for a printed form when you go to collect your test results.

I have flown out of MCT several times, and despite having paid for this idiotic certificate, nobody at the counter glanced at it and they'd always put it aside. I was told that airlines want a PCR test with a QR code, which the local testing sites here provide on all results; the MOH travel certificate, ironically, doesn't have it, instead having a holographic little stamp and the same doctor's name, signature and details that they've had since they first launched this scam. In fact, if you go to a private clinic and ask for a travel certificate, they simply populate a template, pull out a ream of certificate stationary pre-arranged by the MOH and just feed it into the printer. It's a joke. The airport staff say they don't care about it and most airlines won't request it, yet the MOH says it's mandatory lest you be denied boarding. My partner flew out of MCT earlier this month and staunchly refused to pay for it beforehand, and traveled without a hitch. From what I've heard, the agents at the land borders require it, so that's possibly a different story.

Hope this helps!

khabah

SanDiego1K, FlyerEC and scented like this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by khabah
Hi all -

Just wanted to share a quick update regarding PCR testing in Oman. In June 2021, the government mandated that private establishments cannot charge more than 15 OMR for a reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction [RT-PCR] test, and as such, most private hospitals now charge anywhere between 11-15 OMR for a PCR test. The government-run drive-thru testing site at Muscat International Airport, however, charges 19 OMR. The key difference between the two is that the airport site allows you to download your test results online, while private clinics require you to physically return to collect your results in-person.

I also wanted to share my experience with a wildly irritating scam that Oman is pushing: the Ministry of Health travel certificate. The government says that if you are traveling out of Oman, you MUST pay for a PCR test in addition to a 6 OMR fee for a travel certificate issued by the MOH. If you get tested at the airport drive-thru, you can pay for the certificate online and it auto-generates a template that you can print out. If you get tested elsewhere, you have to pay for a printed form when you go to collect your test results.

I have flown out of MCT several times, and despite having paid for this idiotic certificate, nobody at the counter glanced at it and they'd always put it aside. I was told that airlines want a PCR test with a QR code, which the local testing sites here provide on all results; the MOH travel certificate, ironically, doesn't have it, instead having a holographic little stamp and the same doctor's name, signature and details that they've had since they first launched this scam. In fact, if you go to a private clinic and ask for a travel certificate, they simply populate a template, pull out a ream of certificate stationary pre-arranged by the MOH and just feed it into the printer. It's a joke. The airport staff say they don't care about it and most airlines won't request it, yet the MOH says it's mandatory lest you be denied boarding. My partner flew out of MCT earlier this month and staunchly refused to pay for it beforehand, and traveled without a hitch. From what I've heard, the agents at the land borders require it, so that's possibly a different story.

Hope this helps!

khabah

Thanks, very helpful info for the Oman trip we are planning.

Do you have a recommendation for where to go in MCT to get a cheap test at 11 OMR? Precision Health Science quoted us 30 OMR for 24 hr turnaround including the MoH certificate! The IC Muscat quoted 35 OMR! Both quotes sound illegal as per your post about govt regulated pricing.

Sounds like we should probably get the MoH certificate even if it's a scam? I mean if we don't have it at the airport, we would be screwed if the airline denies boarding?
Old Nov 17, 2021, 10:35 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by abcx
The IC Muscat quoted 35 OMR! Both quotes sound illegal as per your post about govt regulated pricing!
We had the same quote from the GH Muscat. I admit I was shocked, but I will pay it for the convenience they are offering of in room testing and results the same day. We don't have to pay to take a taxi to a test facility and a taxi to return. We won't have language issues. We will be given printed documentation.

in regards to your PCR test, we will arrange for this to be done in your guest room by our nurse the morning before your check out, it takes five minutes and the result with travel document will be delivered to you by 6PM the same day, the cost for each test is 35 OMR as per local MOH regulations.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 7:20 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SW Companion
Just another piece of info from a US citizen that just traveled to Oman.

US vaccine cards without QR codes ARE sufficient. Just fill out all the paper work and you'll be fine. This was confirmed by multiple agents and matched our experience perfectly.

They have great technology and the process is very easy, though required many steps. I'm not 100% sure about the QR on the PCR test, as we took our tests in Egypt, but based on Egypt enforcement, a stamp (aka logo of testing center... Not even an official "stamp") would have been sufficient. They are not trying to keep you out....

Also I highly recommend Oman. Very underrated as a tourist country!!!
Old Nov 22, 2021, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by SkilleZ
Just another piece of info from a US citizen that just traveled to Oman.
I've read that Oman requires one month of medical insurance to cover any Covid expenses. Were you required to show proof of insurance? We have MedJet that provides evacuation should hospitalization be required and we have our regular policies. We do not have a policy specific to international medical coverage for Covid.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 7:49 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I've read that Oman requires one month of medical insurance to cover any Covid expenses. Were you required to show proof of insurance? We have MedJet that provides evacuation should hospitalization be required and we have our regular policies. We do not have a policy specific to international medical coverage for Covid.
Maldives also requires this, and we had it (but were not asked to show it when entering the country). There are still lots of good reasons to have it as your standard insurance (even MedJet) may not apply to Covid (or may be voided if USA government is recommending avoiding travel to the destination). Just be careful!
Old Nov 23, 2021, 4:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SW Companion
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I was super worried about this. It was never mentioned, checked, it anything of the sort... But our airline (Air Arabia Egypt) actually included this for free in our ticket (I was unaware when I booked). I believe all the carriers do now for Oman, which is why they don't have to check it. We figured in the worst case scenario, we'd buy it in the spot at the airport, but it was absolutely not an issue
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 5:51 am

Inspired by @khabah, we just finished a 10 day trip to Oman.
  • 1 night Grand Hyatt Muscat
  • 3 nights Alila Jabal Akhdar
  • 3 nights Alila Hinu Bay - highly recommended
  • 2 nights Grand Hyatt Muscat
It was a pain to fulfill all the requirements to enter the country, but once there it was a pleasure. It's a great time of year weather wise. We had to wear masks everywhere but otherwise service was at a very high pre Covid level. There was no question of daily housekeeping, it was automatic. My husband compared the service at Alila Hinu Bay to Aman. Now, perhaps that's a stretch - but it's close.

I used the driver that @AbuCordoba recommended for airport runs in Muscat.

I used a driver that @khabah recommended for the drive to Alila Jabal Akhdar, and return. The return was on a Friday and included the goat market in Nizwa as well as the souk and Nizwa fort. Highly recommended.

Alila Jabal Akhdar, Oman REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Alila Hinu Bay, Oman
Just visited Muscat, Oman from UK [and USA] - covers logistics of entering country
chinmoylad, scented and minz56 like this.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Dec 8, 2021 at 5:58 am
Old Jan 8, 2022, 3:55 am

Programs: Delta SM
Hi all,

Planning a trip to Oman next week and wanted some eyes on my itinerary!

Flying in on QR to Muscat on Sunday and will arrive early in the morning. Will burn a Marriott 85k certificate to stay at the Al Bustan and hope for an upgrade as a Titanium. What's the deal with free breakfast at Ritz Carltons for Titaniums? We plan to walk around Old Muscat on Sunday as we appear to be closely situated. Monday to Wednesday both my wife and I will be working remotely. I saw that WiFi might be a bit sketchy at the Al Bustan so we booked at the W and we have an upgrade pending. Excited to try both properties.

Thursday is when vacation really begins and we will head for one night at Jabal al Akhdar at either the Anantara or Alina. Prices appear to be similar. Then, back to Muscat Friday where we will catch a flight to Salalah to do two days at the Alina Hinu Bay. Booked a suite, they look gorgeous!

Flying back to Muscat on Saturday, we'll probably stay close to the airport and try to do a day trip to the Daymaniyat Islands for snorkeling. Are there any companies that offer a trip in the evening so that we can see the bioluminescent plankton?

What do you all think? Too much moving around? What are the can't miss sites? Would very much appreciated some of the highly recommended drivers that AbuCordoba and khabah spoke about. Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2022, 7:03 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by ruby&carlos
Hi all,

Flying in on QR to Muscat on Sunday and will arrive early in the morning. Will burn a Marriott 85k certificate to stay at the Al Bustan and hope for an upgrade as a Titanium. What's the deal with free breakfast at Ritz Carltons for Titaniums? We plan to walk around Old Muscat on Sunday as we appear to be closely situated. Monday to Wednesday both my wife and I will be working remotely. I saw that WiFi might be a bit sketchy at the Al Bustan so we booked at the W and we have an upgrade pending. Excited to try both properties.

Thursday is when vacation really begins and we will head for one night at Jabal al Akhdar at either the Anantara or Alina. Prices appear to be similar. Then, back to Muscat Friday where we will catch a flight to Salalah to do two days at the Alina Hinu Bay. Booked a suite, they look gorgeous!

Flying back to Muscat on Saturday, we'll probably stay close to the airport and try to do a day trip to the Daymaniyat Islands for snorkeling. Are there any companies that offer a trip in the evening so that we can see the bioluminescent plankton?

What do you all think? Too much moving around? What are the can't miss sites? Would very much appreciated some of the highly recommended drivers that AbuCordoba and khabah spoke about. Thanks!
You guys seem to like to move at a faster pace than I would - which is OK.

What we found worthwhile and would recommend are as follows:

In Muscat
The Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque is worth a visit or drive by. Similar to the Sheikh Zayed Mosque in Abu Dhabi if you've been there.
Matrah Souq worth exploring - we went here twice.

Otw to/from Jabal Akhdar
Nizwa forts/markets worth a stop

Re Jabal Akhdar, Alila seems to have more fans here than the Anantara, but we quite liked the Anantara and thought it was a plus to have a local village nearby within walking distance. We were quite happy with our choice in getting a villa here with pool and those gorgeous mountain views.

We didn't quite make it to Salalah but I guess that gives us a reason to come back

Enjoy Oman - beautiful country !
MaldivesGoal likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 10:44 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, IHG plat, GHA Black, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ruby&carlos
Hi all,

As @Nizar mentioned, both Anantara and Alila have their pro's and con's. I personally like the location (more remote) and style of Alila more, but Anantara provided me better service and more food options there as well (also they upgraded me both times i visited to a villa while back then i had no status). The location of Anantara is indeed next to a village, but inside the resort you wont notice it.

Regarding visiting Daymaniyat in the evening, not sure it is possible. I know if you want to camp there, you need a special permit. The one i used and have good experience with is this company: https://www.daymaniat-shells.com/
Also for staying close to airport, Muscat to airport is only 20min drive (from W hotel), but if you really want to stay close to the snorkeling tour operators and airport you have Kempinski hotel (JW Marriott is closed for maintenance).

For me some must see's in Oman are the Wadi's (e.g. Wadi Shab, Wadi Bani Khalid, Wadi Tiwi, etc.) which are reachable within 1-2 hrs drive from Muscat and ofc the Wahiba desert (2.5 hrs drive from Muscat), but these locations are not near a "luxury hotel", which seems the basis of this trip.
MaldivesGoal likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 1:40 am

We are contemplating a Feb. trip for a week flying into MCT and have some worries.

We would prefer not to move too much so maybe two hotels: Beach in/near Muscat and a few nights at the Alila Jabal. Re beach: I don't find any of the beach hotels very appealing, mostly looking tired. The RC is sold out for most days - and quite a step down from what's on offer in the UAE. This leaves SL and Chedi but I am very unexcited about both. Maybe a city hotel is a better bet (e.g. with a trip to Dimaniyat Island)? Salalah is an extra flight which we don't want to do for logistical reasons.

The alternative is something in Saadiyat UAE or a combo of 5 night Oman/4night UAE - but I'm not a big fan of Abu Dhabi and we don't do Dubai.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.