Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oman Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Has anyone been recently? Arriving Oct 1, staying at RC. Cannot get reliable info regarding visa on arrival for US and UK passports. Still possible?
I haven't been since they announced they would discontinue visas on arrival, I found the below link that has the new rules/categories on visas that might be helpful if you are traveling without the assistance of an agent/agency.

https://evisa.rop.gov.om/en/home
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by kmd0506
I haven't been since they announced they would discontinue visas on arrival, I found the below link that has the new rules/categories on visas that might be helpful if you are traveling without the assistance of an agent/agency.

https://evisa.rop.gov.om/en/home
yes i’ve seen that link, US State dept website says VOA still OK and I called Oman’s embassy and they also said VOA is OK. Hard getting a real answer unfortunately.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:52 am
Suspended

yes i’ve seen that link, US State dept website says VOA still OK and I called Oman’s embassy and they also said VOA is OK. Hard getting a real answer unfortunately.
I think both embassies gave you the real answer. I was there again a month ago and there was VOA, I dont ever remember an interruption since the program was introduced.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sophialite
I drove to the Alila. Cars have to be 4x4 to be permitted up there.

We love Muscat but will probably stay at the Kempinsky next time.

I am curious why the Kempinsky over the RC Al Bustan (I had another stay that reaffirmed my feeling this is the best RC - and one of the most striking I have stayed at)?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fly_IAD
I think both embassies gave you the real answer. I was there again a month ago and there was VOA, I dont ever remember an interruption since the program was introduced.
I'm hoping so, some info online says VOA will stop and you should get evisa, but let's see. Fingers crossed.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Where to rent a 4WD in Muscat?

We're staying at Alila Jabal around Xmas and were planning to get a car and drive. However, I can't figure out how to guarantee a 4WD car through kayak or similar search engines.

Could someone recommend a place to rent a car in Muscat / the airport?

Is it possible to use the CDW from my credit card in oman?

Thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2019, 6:53 pm
Suspended

VOA was indeed available. Al-Bustan was phenomenal and Oman was amazing.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:30 am
Suspended

VOA was indeed available. Al-Bustan was phenomenal and Oman was amazing.
Great! Would love to hear your brief comments on what stood out to you about Al-Bustan?
Old Oct 20, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
I am curious why the Kempinsky over the RC Al Bustan (I had another stay that reaffirmed my feeling this is the best RC - and one of the most striking I have stayed at)?
I’m sorry I missed this.

Feedback from travelers I trust. They say that the Ritz is good but you could be visiting any other city when staying there. The rooms are generic. The lobby is of course still spectacular, but you don’t stay in a lobby when you stay in a hotel.

The Chedi still pays homage to the traditional architecture of Oman, but service has gone sideways. And hard product is wearing off.

I’ve been told the Kempinski still has the best balance between reflecting the cultural heritage of Oman and still being luxurious.

Of course, nothing beats the Alila in this regard. But that’s not in Muscat :-)
Fly_IAD likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Great! Would love to hear your brief comments on what stood out to you about Al-Bustan?
Wonderful lobby with that unbelievable chandelier. Gorgeous hotel grounds and most importantly top-notch service. It was especially welcome after seeing what a disaster the other RC properties in the MENA seem to be (had awful stops at RC AUH and BAH on this trip). Nice beach, great pools, good F&B options, tennis courts, good gym and nicely manicured lawns with palm trees everywhere. Was a joy to be there, actually felt relaxing and the staff took care of everything.
Fly_IAD likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 4:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sophialite
I’m sorry I missed this.

Feedback from travelers I trust. They say that the Ritz is good but you could be visiting any other city when staying there. The rooms are generic. The lobby is of course still spectacular, but you don’t stay in a lobby when you stay in a hotel.

The Chedi still pays homage to the traditional architecture of Oman, but service has gone sideways. And hard product is wearing off.

I’ve been told the Kempinski still has the best balance between reflecting the cultural heritage of Oman and still being luxurious.

Of course, nothing beats the Alila in this regard. But that’s not in Muscat :-)
Thats very interesting feedback! Did you have the same impressions after your stay? I think the rooms in the RC could be nice rooms anywhere but otherwise the hotel/service feels like it pays homage to Omani culture.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Has anybody here either self-driven or hired a driver to get from Dubai to Muscat? I am assuming the roads are totally fine and safe, but wonder about the hassles of crossing the border, and jet lag. Is there a reputable limo service from Dubai that anybody could recommend for the drive? The alternative is just to fly, easy, but it might be nice to see the scenery (such as it is) from up close in at least one direction -- trying to figure out the best way to get to Alila Akhdar from DXB.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 11:36 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by ridefar
Has anybody here either self-driven or hired a driver to get from Dubai to Muscat? I am assuming the roads are totally fine and safe, but wonder about the hassles of crossing the border, and jet lag. Is there a reputable limo service from Dubai that anybody could recommend for the drive?
Two years on, and I am also curious about this. We self drove some years ago, starting and returning to Muscat, and looping thru UAE. Border crossings were a significant hassle. I would not want to self drive but am curious about hiring a driver from Dubai or Abu Dhabi.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 8:28 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Diamond, BA Gold, QR Plat
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Two years on, and I am also curious about this. We self drove some years ago, starting and returning to Muscat, and looping thru UAE. Border crossings were a significant hassle. I would not want to self drive but am curious about hiring a driver from Dubai or Abu Dhabi.
I have been using this company for the past 8 months on an almost daily basis and am very happy with the service. They cover the entire UAE, not sure if they would drive to Oman though, especially given the current restrictions. Dubai to AUH will be fine though.

https://www.wllimo.com/
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 12:45 pm

What resort would you recommend if visiting the country with small children (3&5)? My wife spent a year in Oman as a child herself (though in a gated community at the time) and have always wanted to go back. While I prefer high class properties I'm ok to lean toward something family friendly as I've found that the kids enjoyment level tend to heavily correlate to me and my wife's relaxation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.