Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oman Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2024, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Is there anything "in" the city that's worth for a one night stay between driving down from Jabal and a flight out the next day? Something traditional (thinking Souq-ish)?
Hotel offering are slim in Muscat but I wouldn't let it put you off. I'd look at convenience for just one night. If you want to visit the souq and museum (highly recommended) the RC would be pretty close. I stayed at the Crowne Plaza a while back (heresy to mention ti here!) and while the rooms are tired, food, service and setting were surprisingly good.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by erik123
Hotel offering are slim in Muscat but I wouldn't let it put you off. I'd look at convenience for just one night. If you want to visit the souq and museum (highly recommended) the RC would be pretty close. I stayed at the Crowne Plaza a while back (heresy to mention ti here!) and while the rooms are tired, food, service and setting were surprisingly good.
I think I've settled on the W. Seems decent and central enough for a day. Are there any desert stays that are considered luxurious? Think Al Maha, but less is also okay. I guess I could fly into DXB and stop at Al Maha on the way but that's not Oman...
Old Jan 27, 2024, 10:33 am

They are opening an MO very soon.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 12:29 am

I think I've settled on the W. Seems decent and central enough for a day. Are there any desert stays that are considered luxurious? Think Al Maha, but less is also okay. I guess I could fly into DXB and stop at Al Maha on the way but that's not Oman...
Dessert nights is the most luxurious camp and very comfortable but rooms vary. We very much enjoyed it. It's easy to reach with a 4x4. I suspect Oman will offer a much better experience over DXB which I find forgettable. Oman really doesn't have many must-go luxury hotels and if that is the top concern you'll miss out on what the country has to offer.
Smiley90 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by erik123
Dessert nights is the most luxurious camp and very comfortable but rooms vary. We very much enjoyed it. It's easy to reach with a 4x4. I suspect Oman will offer a much better experience over DXB which I find forgettable. Oman really doesn't have many must-go luxury hotels and if that is the top concern you'll miss out on what the country has to offer.
That sounds great. We're not going there FOR luxury - I also found Dubai forgettable, and no matter how nice hotels there may be, I wouldn't go back. That said, I always find online reviews in less-travelled regions very difficult to parse, so I prefer to hear from people here, who I, for better or worse, trust more!
Old Jan 29, 2024, 6:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
That sounds great. We're not going there FOR luxury - I also found Dubai forgettable, and no matter how nice hotels there may be, I wouldn't go back. That said, I always find online reviews in less-travelled regions very difficult to parse, so I prefer to hear from people here, who I, for better or worse, trust more!
I hear you. I am also planning a trip to Oman FOR the luxury hotels. I did a fair bit of research but I might put my plans on hold this year as there are a few luxury properties slated to open later this year. Hence I am contemplating travelling in Q1 next year now
Old Jan 30, 2024, 7:56 am

There seems to be a new Chedi coming as well. I did see the construction site and it seemed 70% finished - so maybe n 2025?

https://qdrhoman.com/

Part of the charm of Oman is the lack of tourism and the wonderful Omani's so these developments are a double edged sword. FYI - Nizwa has no luxury hotels but is well worth visiting/staying. Anantara and Alila in the mountains are both excellent.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 12:19 am

The St Regis Al Mouj is accepting reservations starting June 1st. I am positive about the hotel due to the GM and also the Qatari owners have made a significant investment in its hard product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.