Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Tour of India: Thoughts on these hotels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Tour of India: Thoughts on these hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:47 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Just posted our review for the Raas Devigarh...so take a look! I can't wait to hear your review/thoughts after you actually stay there. As you can see, we were extremely impressed.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post27956811

Can't decide whether or not to comment on each thread that you made or here but really enjoying all your reviews! Thanks for taking us along with you on your journey. Did you try any of the Indian Single Malts?

FDW
Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:51 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Can't decide whether or not to comment on each thread that you made or here but really enjoying all your reviews! Thanks for taking us along with you on your journey. Did you try any of the Indian Single Malts?

FDW
Haha, thanks. I don't think there's a wrong way! I am glad that there now are separate threads for some of these top Indian hotels...since it should make it a lot easier for comparison/contrast with other peer hotels in the future.

I never tried any Indian whisky. I'm too much a fan of Scotch single malt.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 1:10 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Haha, thanks. I don't think there's a wrong way! I am glad that there now are separate threads for some of these top Indian hotels...since it should make it a lot easier for comparison/contrast with other peer hotels in the future.

I never tried any Indian whisky. I'm too much a fan of Scotch single malt.
I've heard you're a single malt fan. That's why I wondered if you tried the Indian ones. I'm more of an American whiskey fan myself but I did just get a birth year Caol Ila 25 yr old cask strength

FDW
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Need some advise re Aman-i-khas. I am booked for late May. I know, I know, bloody hot approaching 40 degrees Celsius. But there it is, I am going.

I plan on doing a morning safari, since it will be somewhat cooler in the early am, as compared to the late afternoon/evening safari. However, I can do both, or I can do two mornings. I am tempted to do a morning and an afternoon, for contrast, but is it simply pure insanity to do the afternoon in the heat at the height of Indian summer? Or will the movement of the jeep and foliage, or some other intervening force of nature somehow make it somewhat bearable?

Also, having visited enough forts in India already, how valuable a visit would a visit to the Rathambore Fort be? I am tempted to take that excursion.

I am also tempted to take "Village and old city tour", as at Amanbagh the cowdust tour was one of the highlights. Anyone ever taken this excursion?

Any other 'must do's'?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
We were there this past December, so cannot speak in terms of weather. But I will say that I really liked going both in the morning and in the afternoon since the park looked and felt so different at the different times. Also, we did the Ranthambore fort tour at the end of our afternoon Safari which made it a very easy add-on excursion and we would highly recommend it
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
We were there this past December, so cannot speak in terms of weather. But I will say that I really liked going both in the morning and in the afternoon since the park looked and felt so different at the different times. Also, we did the Ranthambore fort tour at the end of our afternoon Safari which made it a very easy add-on excursion and we would highly recommend it
Many thanks for the tip on the fort!
Old Feb 7, 2018, 4:17 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Don't skip Ranthambore Fort. It's not so much the fort itself (which is okay - great views though), but...just do it

From my AMan-i-Khas experience, I would do as many game drives as possible to maximise.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Don't skip Ranthambore Fort. It's not so much the fort itself (which is okay - great views though), but...just do it
Exactly
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by blueline7
Need some advise re Aman-i-khas. I am booked for late May. I know, I know, bloody hot approaching 40 degrees Celsius. But there it is, I am going.

I plan on doing a morning safari, since it will be somewhat cooler in the early am, as compared to the late afternoon/evening safari. However, I can do both, or I can do two mornings. I am tempted to do a morning and an afternoon, for contrast, but is it simply pure insanity to do the afternoon in the heat at the height of Indian summer? Or will the movement of the jeep and foliage, or some other intervening force of nature somehow make it somewhat bearable?
I went in April, AKA also bloody hot. We never had any issues with the heat at any point of the day, even when it too was close to 40C. The only thing I did have a slight issue with was the lack of any tigers. It's also surprisingly cool in the mornings, so expect to wrap up first thing.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:45 pm

One other thought, and others may disagree with me, but I think if you are just going to do the normal length safari, I do not think it is worth extra to pay for a private car. Unlike in Africa where the drivers have a lot of freedom, in India, they are mostly sticking to a path to try and find a tiger, which is what everyone wants to see.
We did however pay extra to have the private 1/2 day tour and enjoyed that since we could see different zones within the park on the same drive and our batman came with us to serve a snack.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 1:40 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
I went in April, AKA also bloody hot. We never had any issues with the heat at any point of the day, even when it too was close to 40C. The only thing I did have a slight issue with was the lack of any tigers. It's also surprisingly cool in the mornings, so expect to wrap up first thing.
This is my ultimate nightmare. If you think it's bloody hot, then I obviously don't belong anywhere within 1000 km. And to suffer that kind of heat with no tiger sightings would make me go postal. Explaining why we didn't bother.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: CX DM
The heat is tolerable when you're driving. I would not advise skipping drives, so you don't repeat our mistake which was skipping one afternoon drive to relax by the step-well, only to have people return from that drive thrilled with a spectacular tiger sighting. We made up for it with leopard sightings (more rare apparently) in Sariska during a fantastic day out from Amanbagh. And we still really enjoyed Aman-i-Khas. but it was somewhat irritating

Also agree with the above - there isn't much advantage to a private car. We do take private vehicles in Africa but don't think it's necessary here due to the standard roads and relatively small vehicles anyway.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Altocumulus
The heat is tolerable when you're driving. I would not advise skipping drives, so you don't repeat our mistake which was skipping one afternoon drive to relax by the step-well, only to have people return from that drive thrilled with a spectacular tiger sighting. We made up for it with leopard sightings (more rare apparently) in Sariska during a fantastic day out from Amanbagh. And we still really enjoyed Aman-i-Khas. but it was somewhat irritating

Also agree with the above - there isn't much advantage to a private car. We do take private vehicles in Africa but don't think it's necessary here due to the standard roads and relatively small vehicles anyway.
I suffered the same fate when we arrived to Aman-i-Khas early afternoon and decided not to go out on a drive. The next day on the drive, the couple sat in front of us told us how they went out that afternoon and saw a tiger in less than a minute. They then received the pleasure of spending a further 3 days in my company, whilst we saw nothing.

I also agree with no advantage to private cars. I consider it essential for Africa as you can choose what you want to see and there's plenty of variety, yet here you only are really there to see a tiger, so it's not like you're going to compromise with your fellow travellers.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 12:08 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sometimes, I find a deal, buy it, and then worry about what I am going to do afterwards.

This thread *A: SFO/DFW/SEA/WAS/ORD - DEL/BOM $2200+ [package deal] motivated me to buy two round trip business class tickets to Delhi from San Fran, arriving on Oct 24 at 9:30pm and departing on November 9 at 5:30pm, 16 nights.

The plane tickets, including the mandatory throw-away hotel purchase, were $4400 for 2 people which seems like an amazing deal. Other west coasters might want to consider this deal while it is still around.

Now it's time to figure out what to see on this trip. This is my first India trip, if you don't count long ago when I overnighted in Calcutta sort of by accident. Unlike most of those posting above, my preference would be to do 2 or 3 nights (latter being best) in each location with the exception of the arrival and departure days, saving south India, tiger safaris, east India, and the mountains for another trip. I have been told by my travel partner that Agra has to be on the list and I would really like to stay at one of the spectacular lake hotels.

So does that mean Delhi will be the Leela Palace or is the Oberoi Delhi worth considering? I guess Agra is the Oberoi Amarvilas. But then, what and where? We want to see the sights but are also perfectly fine enjoying the food and lodging without having to fit in every last attraction. Spas are not that important to us.

If this is too open-ended, feel free to scold -- mods should be willing to take their own medicine once in a while! Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Feb 9, 2018 at 12:33 am
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:09 am

This is my ultimate nightmare. If you think it's bloody hot, then I obviously don't belong anywhere within 1000 km. And to suffer that kind of heat with no tiger sightings would make me go postal. Explaining why we didn't bother.
LOL. When writing my post, I was thinking of you!

Originally Posted by Altocumulus
I suffered the same fate when we arrived to Aman-i-Khas early afternoon and decided not to go out on a drive. The next day on the drive, the couple sat in front of us told us how they went out that afternoon and saw a tiger in less than a minute. They then received the pleasure of spending a further 3 days in my company, whilst we saw nothing.

I also agree with no advantage to private cars. I consider it essential for Africa as you can choose what you want to see and there's plenty of variety, yet here you only are really there to see a tiger, so it's not like you're going to compromise with your fellow travellers.
That is very helpful, thank you. The single advantage to a private car, and it appears considerable, is that there is the option of a special ticket with the private car so that it can go to various zones in the park apparently, whereas the regular private car and regular group safari is stuck with one zone. This means that one can increase one's chances of seeing a tiger by going wherever the last sighting one without being confined to the assigned single zone. Althgouh tempting, since I am travelling solo, the substantial premium for this multi-ticketed private car is probably not worth it for me.

This is what I was advised by Aman-i-khas:

Game drives at Ranthambore National Park:-

Ranthambhore presents a unique opportunity to see one of India’s most beautiful and successful National Parks. Aman-i-Khas can arrange the safaris for you during your stay with us. Twice-daily guided safaris are organized into the core of Ranthambore National Park. Once the hunting grounds of the Maharajah of Jaipur, the region was declared a wildlife sanctuary in 1955. Early morning and late afternoon are the best times to view game which includes not just tigers, but also leopards, smaller jungle cats, hyenas, sloth bears, deer, antelopes, gazelles, crocodiles and over 350 known species of resident and migratory birds.

We strongly suggest making the safari reservations much in advance as these are regulated by the government officials and requires to be booked well in advance. A safari reservation starts as early as 90 days before the day of safari. We would appreciate an early confirmation on the safaris to avoid disappointment with regards to availability of safari tickets.

The best time for viewing game is in the early morning and late afternoon. Excursion times are set by the park authorities as only a limited number of vehicles are permitted inside the park core at any one time. The Park operates four-wheel drive jeeps (max 6 guests) and canters (max 20 guests) for these excursions. Safaris are led by Ranthambhore Tiger Reserve appointed guides who take guests on one of a range of routes through the park.

We would like to inform you that now Ranthambhore National park offers full/half day game drives to visitor. Half day game drive offers approx. 6 hours game viewing while full day game drive offers about 12 hours game viewing in the National Park. There is no zone restriction for the half/full day game drives and safari jeep has access to all the premier zones. Please note that half day game drives will be available in morning and afternoon session.

Please find below rate for Full Day and Half Day Game drives:-

Half Day Game Drive - INR 60,000 Plus taxes per safari (15.50% GST and Service charge)

Full Day Game Drive - INR 90,000 Plus taxes per safari (15.50% GST and Service charge)

Please note that this facility will be for a limited number of vehicles and each jeep can takes maximum 05 guests for game drives.

Aman-i-khas would try and book the game drives once we receive a confirmation from your end. Since the game drives are regulated by the park authorities we cannot guarantee availability of the Full day & Half day game drives until confirmed to us by the deptt. Final confirmation on the full/half day game drive will be received by 15 days prior to date of park visit.

Once booked and confirmed, the game drives cannot be cancelled or changed. A full retention with taxes would be applicable in case of a cancellation or a change in a game drive.

Apart from above, there are 2 safaris during the course of the day. Morning safari departs the camp at 06:00 Hrs, afternoon safari at 15:00 Hrs. Each safari is of approximately 3 to 3 ½ Hrs duration.

An exclusive jeep/ drive would cost INR 39600 ++ (++ 15.50% GST and Service Charge) per excursions and in case of cancellation no refunds are made. Entry passes to Ranthambhore National Park on sharing jeep are charged at INR 6600 ++ per person per excursion (++ 15.50% GST and Service Charge). This covers entrance fee, appointed guide, safari vehicle and driver along with refreshments packed for the drive. In case of cancellation of safari/game drive no Refund/adjustment will be made.

Please note that above game drives (morning and afternoon) have zone restriction and during one game drive, jeep can cover one zone of the national park.

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Sometimes, I find a deal, buy it, and then worry about what I am going to do afterwards.

This thread *A: SFO/DFW/SEA/WAS/ORD - DEL/BOM $2200+ [package deal] motivated me to buy two round trip business class tickets to Delhi from San Fran, arriving on Oct 24 at 9:30pm and departing on November 9 at 5:30pm, 16 nights.

The plane tickets, including the mandatory throw-away hotel purchase, were $4400 for 2 people which seems like an amazing deal. Other west coasters might want to consider this deal while it is still around.

Now it's time to figure out what to see on this trip. This is my first India trip, if you don't count long ago when I overnighted in Calcutta sort of by accident. Unlike most of those posting above, my preference would be to do 2 or 3 nights (latter being best) in each location with the exception of the arrival and departure days, saving south India, tiger safaris, east India, and the mountains for another trip. I have been told by my travel partner that Agra has to be on the list and I would really like to stay at one of the spectacular lake hotels.

So does that mean Delhi will be the Leela Palace or is the Oberoi Delhi worth considering? I guess Agra is the Oberoi Amarvilas. But then, what and where? We want to see the sights but are also perfectly fine enjoying the food and lodging without having to fit in every last attraction. Spas are not that important to us.

If this is too open-ended, feel free to scold -- mods should be willing to take their own medicine once in a while! Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Excellent, Richard! Way to go! I have been to India every year for about 4 years, and it is a splendid destination. My recommendation would be:

Delhi - Lodi 3 nights
Agra - Amarvillas 2 nights
Amanbagh - 3 nights
Aman-i-khas 3 nights (havent been there before, so this is an assumption)
Jodpur - umaid Bhawan Palace (based upon Bhrubin's recommendation, but havent been there)
Udaipur 2-3 nights (haven't been but based upon what I have seen and heard)
Mumbai 2 - 3 nights at the Taj Palace.

Now, if you can somehow make it to Hyderabad, the Taj Falaknuma was spectacular. And if you can make it to Amrtisar the Golden Temple and Waga Border Crossing were both incredible. Chandigarh, was also very interesting. But these places are probably 'secondary'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.