Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Tour of India: Thoughts on these hotels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Tour of India: Thoughts on these hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2019, 3:01 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
We’re flying Vistara from Delhi to Varanasi - they sound really good and back by SQ.
Probably stuck with Indigo from Udaipur to Delhi, but the AI flight doesn’t work time wise.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 3:09 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by sydakllon
We’re flying Vistara from Delhi to Varanasi - they sound really good and back by SQ.
Probably stuck with Indigo from Udaipur to Delhi, but the AI flight doesn’t work time wise.
You definitely take whatever you can get with Indian airlines. Heck, we flew SpiceJet's "laborer" flight from Jaipur to Dubai simply to avoid having to connect through Delhi and risking the missed connection or delays. It wasn't pretty, but getting to Dubai on a nonstop made it all worthwhile--where we gleefully devoured enough beef at Zuma to stock an American steakhouse.
SojournsOf likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 2:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I think you might have an overly optimistic appraisal of the quality of AI.
this seems likely
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:11 pm

south india

Here's some feedback on a few "luxury" hotels on a trip to South India. Trip was organized by Greaves (with most of the plan given to them by myself). They gave us good drivers and execution on the ground was without a flaw.

Taj Fisherman's cove: nice location to see Mahabalipuram. Rooms perhaps a bit dated and the cottage/suite rooms seemed a bit overpriced, we stayed in oceanview rooms instead. Views were nice, beach is clearly more of a domestic than international destination. Food was reasonably good, particularly breakfast. Some issues getting the room ready on time at check in but compensated with a bottle of wine.

Palais de Mahe in Pondicherry is not really marketed as luxury, decent option in town rooms were fine, nice pool, but service at breakfast was painfully slow, dinner just ok.

Svatma hotel in Thanjuvar. This is a relais and chateau property that has gotten a decent amount of media attention. good reception, nice common areas, reasonably furnished rooms, good food, excellent service (relative to other properties) nice spa and small but pleasant pool. Restaurants had good food. Cultural events were nice. Highly recommended if travelling in South India, a bunch of UNESCO properties nearby. Mantra Koodam would be a more out of the way option but seemed nice when we stopped for lunch.

Heritage Maduri, one night only nice option could find in town. Nice villa sized rooms, otherwise unremarkable.

Ambady Estates, Munnar. Low key place with views over tea plantations, happy with stay. Didn't seem like any real luxury properties in the region. Staff was very friendly and the meals were quite fresh/good. Local excursion hike was nice. Drive from Maduri to Munnar is a bit rough as roads were damaged in monsoon 2018.

Purity Kerala backwaters. relais and chateau owned by same group as Malabar house. Very nice property, design and location are great right on the lake. Service could be a bit better, didnt' get much of a reception upon arrival, but otherwise without major flaws. We had a room upgrade right on the lake, was happy with it. Spa is excellent for the price. Arranged a day trip on their larger boat through backwaters with lunch. This was one of the highlights of the trip. They also offer a sunset cruise on a small boat which is great for photos.

Malabar house, cochin. Another relais property, nice room well furnished heritage property, good location, good restaurant. Service in restaurant is poor rest of hotel had good service, food was good.

Ate at Bukhara in Delhi, enjoyed the lamb and chicken, underwhelmed by Dal Bukhara. Haveli in Delhi was also excellent. Stayed with family on the way out in Delhi. Quick layover at Andaz delhi aerocity was quite comfortable on the way in. Security at cochin airport was frustrating, (have to take out all elecrontics of any size, all cables, camera lenses have to be removed from protective case only to be manhandled by operator)

Overall there isn't a true luxury tour option through south india on the same level as some of the palatial options in Rajasthan, but really enjoyed our trip. No major incidents, and no one got sick which is half the battle as far as my expectations go. Hotel highlights would probably be Svatma and the hard product at purity.
Desirees likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 5:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
tdiddy23 great post. I would love to take my husband to south India but just couldn’t find any good hotels and your post really helps. At this point, have plans for Jaisalmer , Jodhpur and Udaipur in Jan ( covid- permitting) and we are looking at Leela Palace in Udaipur, Raas in Jodhpur and Suryagarh in Jaisalmer. Serai tents are not my cup of tea.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 7:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
tdiddy23 great post. I would love to take my husband to south India but just couldn’t find any good hotels and your post really helps. At this point, have plans for Jaisalmer , Jodhpur and Udaipur in Jan ( covid- permitting) and we are looking at Leela Palace in Udaipur, Raas in Jodhpur and Suryagarh in Jaisalmer. Serai tents are not my cup of tea.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Desirees
Avoid the Leela Palace.....awful place, totally ruined a 50th birthday!
Old Aug 21, 2020, 8:49 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Desirees
Not at the same level as north India, but have a look at Evolve Back and The Serai in south India. Some nice resorts.
There are also some nice villas and boutique/family owned single hotels.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 10:35 am

Programs: Delta SM
Anyone care to rate my itinerary? Will be doing half work and half leisure. Looking for calm and quiet even in big cities and very sensitive to the mildew/damp/mold smell.

3 nights at the JW Marriott Bangalore Nandi Hills
5 nights at the ITC Gardenia or 5 nights at the Taj Wayanad
4 nights at the Alila Fort Bishangarh
6 nights at the ITC Kohenur Hyderabad (Falaknuma was too expensive)
4 nights at the Evolve Back Hampi
Old Jan 2, 2023, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by ruby&carlos
Anyone care to rate my itinerary? Will be doing half work and half leisure. Looking for calm and quiet even in big cities and very sensitive to the mildew/damp/mold smell.

Not a fan of ITC hotels, I don’t think they belong to the Luxury forum although they have some high quality restaurants like the Bukhara.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 3:08 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ruby&carlos

ITC Gardenia is in Bangalore right while Taj Wayanad is in Kerala, Wayanand is a new property I believe.

Bangalore also has Ritz, generally available for cheaper than Ritz rates around the world.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 10:47 pm

We are planning a trip to northern India for 2024. Was wondering if anyone has been recently with more up to date reviews? Also, any stayed at the new Six Senses Fort Barwara?
Old Jul 4, 2023, 9:45 pm

We are planning to visit India some time early 2024. This is my preliminary itinerary. Would be great if I can get some suggestions!

Oberoi New Delhi 1 night (car transfer to Oberoi Amarvilas)
Oberoi Amarvilas 2 nights (car or trains transfer to Aman-i-khas??) which mode of transportation is better?
Aman-i-hkas 3 nights (car transfer to Oberoi Rajvilas) Is 3 nights enough for a chance of seeing the tiger?
Oberoi Rajvilas 2 nights (fly to Oberoi Udaivilas)
The Oberoi Udaivilas 3 nights (car transfer to Umaid Bhawan Palace ?)
Umaid Bhawan Palace 2/3 nights (fly back to New Delhi?)
Oberoi New Delhi 1 night
Old Jul 4, 2023, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by poohbear0218
We are planning to visit India some time early 2024. This is my preliminary itinerary. Would be great if I can get some suggestions!

Oberoi New Delhi 1 night (car transfer to Oberoi Amarvilas)
Oberoi Amarvilas 2 nights (car or trains transfer to Aman-i-khas??) which mode of transportation is better?
Aman-i-hkas 3 nights (car transfer to Oberoi Rajvilas) Is 3 nights enough for a chance of seeing the tiger?
Oberoi Rajvilas 2 nights (fly to Oberoi Udaivilas)
The Oberoi Udaivilas 3 nights (car transfer to Umaid Bhawan Palace ?)
Umaid Bhawan Palace 2/3 nights (fly back to New Delhi?)
Oberoi New Delhi 1 night
We really liked Oberoi New Delhi recently. 2 nights might be too much for Amarvilas? We did it as a day trip from Delhi. Could do 2 new delhi 1 agra, but would be personal preference/jet lag dependent. Delhi is a chaotic, dirty city, but its also got a lot to see (Red Fort, Qutub minar, Humayun's tumb, old city) if you haven't been before. Taj mahal + fort can be seen comfortably in a day. We took the train, safer overall (highway travel in India is actually statically dangerous) but its not luxury. Not sure about tigers, hoping to go in spring to Madhya Pradesh to see them one of these years. I think 2 nights is sufficient for umaid bhawan. Rawla narlai (not luxury but pleasant) was how we broke up driving from Udaipur to jodhpur. Kumbhalgarh Fort is worth stopping for along the way too

on a separate note would be interested if any others have stayed at Taj Mahua Kothi or Banjaar Tola for tigers?

Last edited by tdiddy23; Jul 4, 2023 at 10:42 pm
Old Jul 4, 2023, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by tdiddy23
We really liked Oberoi New Delhi recently. 2 nights might be too much for Amarvilas? We did it as a day trip from Delhi. Could do 2 new delhi 1 agra, but would be personal preference/jet lag dependent. Delhi is a chaotic, dirty city, but its also got a lot to see (Red Fort, Qutub minar, Humayun's tumb, old city) if you haven't been before. Taj mahal + fort can be seen comfortably in a day. We took the train, safer overall (highway travel in India is actually statically dangerous) but its not luxury. Not sure about tigers, hoping to go in spring to Madhya Pradesh to see them one of these years. I think 2 nights is sufficient for umaid bhawan. Rawla narlai (not luxury but pleasant) was how we broke up driving from Udaipur to jodhpur. Kumbhalgarh Fort is worth stopping for along the way too

on a separate note would be interested if any others have stayed at Taj Mahua Kothi or Banjaar Tola for tigers?
Thank you for your suggestions! May I ask if you visited Jaipur? If so, where did you stay? Seems like there are many good options near by like the Oberoi, Rambagh Palace,
Alila Fort Bishangarh.

For Tiger, we are debating between Aman-i-khas and the Oberoi. I remember KI-NRT mentioned when they visited India, most locals recommended Oberoi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.