Community
Wiki Posts
Search

some luxury hotels in Scotland

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bhrubin

As much as I wanted to consider a more authentic hotel, after 2 weeks without air con I wasnt sure that was the best choice for us in the city. We booked the Dakota insteadand that has air con confirmed to suit my needs.

in the ulikely event that the Cameron House renovation is finished by April (preferably with air con), we might consider switching. The Loch views and cooler surroundings (and proximity to the GLA airport) might convince us.
Hmm. Are you sure Hotel du Vin doesn't have AC? -- The person we were traveling with needs to sleep in a refrigerator and I am pretty certain he would never have booked a hotel without AC - and strong AC. We were there in summer, not that it means anything in Scotland and can't recall that is was overly hot, but I would be surprised if HDV didn't have AC.

I think Ken McCulloch who did the Dakota did the HDV but then sold it a few years back, although not sure.

No real views from HDV aside from some tree lined streets.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:31 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Nicoolio
Hmm. Are you sure Hotel du Vin doesn't have AC? -- The person we were traveling with needs to sleep in a refrigerator and I am pretty certain he would never have booked a hotel without AC - and strong AC. We were there in summer, not that it means anything in Scotland and can't recall that is was overly hot, but I would be surprised if HDV didn't have AC.
There’s no air con at the HDV.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some

Theres no air con at the HDV.
In Scotland for most people 350 days per year not a big deal😉
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:09 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by offerendum
In Scotland for most people 350 days per year not a big deal😉
Hence, my being there for 18 days most likely will change that narrative...to 347 days.
offerendum likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:35 am

For the past three months weve been faffing around trying to decide where to take an autumn break, following building work in our home. We finally decided on a trip to Ukraine, Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenia but several things have conspired against us, principally Brexit.

As the UK nears its (latest) deadline of 31 October, we wondered if it would be wise to be away from the UK in October at all. The has collapsed and who knows what might happen as the deadline gets nearer? And as news-junkies, well, wed be missing so much entertainment back home.

All of which is a long-winded way of saying we are now going to Scotland. In our own car which means as much luggage as we fancy (and you need a lot for Scotland) and as much camera gear as necessary. It also means no airports or passports, though that might change if wee Nicola gets her way.

Our itinerary is based on a well-known drive - the North Coast 500. This is a popular route, hotels are few and far between up there in the far north and they are booked up sometimes a year in advance. Many of the hotels in Scotland havent moved on since the 1950s. So here goes:

Inverlochy Castle, Fort William (1 night)
Loch Torridon, Torridon (1 night)
The Plockton Hotel, Plockton (1 night)
Newton Lodge B&B, Unapool (3 nights)
Granary Lodge, Mey (2 nights)
Rocpool Reserve, Inverness (2 nights)
Kinloch House, Blairgowrie (1 night)

The Plockton Hotel is in Scotlands prettiest coastal village. Its probably a two-star but were staying there in the hope of getting a decent dawn photograph of nearby Eilean Donan Castle.

Newton Lodge is a newly renovated B&B near Klyesku in majestic scenery. Two miles from Newton Lodge, is the appealing Kylesku Hotel which is booked up months ahead but well probably take all our meals there.

Granary Lodge is part of the Castle of Mey estate, which was once the home of Queen Elizabeth II, the Queen Mother. On her death, the estate was inherited by HRH The Prince of Wales who holidays there every August. He has recently opened a smart-looking B&B, Granary Lodge where we will stay for two nights.

We always try and avoid Glasgow and Edinburgh and just concentrate on the wild, wet and wonderful.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pausanias
For the past three months weve been faffing around trying to decide where to take an autumn break, following building work in our home. We finally decided on a trip to Ukraine, Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenia but several things have conspired against us, principally Brexit.

As the UK nears its (latest) deadline of 31 October, we wondered if it would be wise to be away from the UK in October at all. The has collapsed and who knows what might happen as the deadline gets nearer? And as news-junkies, well, wed be missing so much entertainment back home.

All of which is a long-winded way of saying we are now going to Scotland. In our own car which means as much luggage as we fancy (and you need a lot for Scotland) and as much camera gear as necessary. It also means no airports or passports, though that might change if wee Nicola gets her way.

Our itinerary is based on a well-known drive - the North Coast 500. This is a popular route, hotels are few and far between up there in the far north and they are booked up sometimes a year in advance. Many of the hotels in Scotland havent moved on since the 1950s. So here goes:

Inverlochy Castle, Fort William (1 night)
Loch Torridon, Torridon (1 night)
The Plockton Hotel, Plockton (1 night)
Newton Lodge B&B, Unapool (3 nights)
Granary Lodge, Mey (2 nights)
Rocpool Reserve, Inverness (2 nights)
Kinloch House, Blairgowrie (1 night)

The Plockton Hotel is in Scotlands prettiest coastal village. Its probably a two-star but were staying there in the hope of getting a decent dawn photograph of nearby Eilean Donan Castle.

Newton Lodge is a newly renovated B&B near Klyesku in majestic scenery. Two miles from Newton Lodge, is the appealing Kylesku Hotel which is booked up months ahead but well probably take all our meals there.

Granary Lodge is part of the Castle of Mey estate, which was once the home of Queen Elizabeth II, the Queen Mother. On her death, the estate was inherited by HRH The Prince of Wales who holidays there every August. He has recently opened a smart-looking B&B, Granary Lodge where we will stay for two nights.

We always try and avoid Glasgow and Edinburgh and just concentrate on the wild, wet and wonderful.
Sounds wonderful!

Ill be most curious to hear your thoughts on the Kylesku Hotel and Newton Lodge, as we considered Kylesku. Neither seemed luxurious, but both seemed solid options for what the NC500 has on offer.

Wed already been all the way from Nairn up to Wick and John OGroats on the day of our engagement, so we are only planing to pick up the NC500 on our April/May 2020 trip from Durness and running south along the Western coast. Well miss the top end, so Ill be most curious to see what you think of that, too.

Please do report back after your holiday. And enjoy!
Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Our itinerary is based on a well-known drive - the North Coast 500. .
Obviously you're going up to Thurso, so need to stick to the published route, but for those willing to deviate I much prefer one of these green options. Quieter. More mountainous. Much more single track roads, though. I don't mind that but some do. Theres really no bad part of the far north

bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by FlyingHighlander; Aug 4, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Obviously you're going up to Thurso, so need to stick to the published route, but for those willing to deviate I much prefer one of these green options. Quieter. More mountainous. Much more single track roads, though. I don't mind that but some do. Theres really no bad part of the far north

We actually are planning to do the route from Nairn (the Boath House) to Dunrobin Castle to Scourieone of your preferred green routes, as it werebefore staying either at the Kylesku Hotel or continuing on for a much longer day to end at The Torridon Hotel.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:52 pm

We actually are planning to do the route from Nairn (the Boath House) to Dunrobin Castle to Scourieone of your preferred green routes, as it werebefore staying either at the Kylesku Hotel or continuing on for a much longer day to end at The Torridon Hotel.
Ah, I see - nice plan I see too many people trying to do the exact NC500 too fast. It's refreshing to see someone take their time and seek out an alt route. Some great hotels you have picked out as well.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
if I can ask, which green route do you prefer and why? What are the pros and cons for each if there are any? FWIW, we will be doing this in late April 2020. Not sure about the single track roads with snow, but willing to risk it!

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 4, 2019 at 8:09 pm
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:11 pm

if I can ask, which green route do you prefer and why? What are the pros and cons for each if there are any? FWIW, we will be doing this in late April 2020. Not sure about the single track roads with snow, but willing to risk it!
It's been at least 5 years since I've done the piece between Lairg and Tongue, and even then it was rare. I have done Scourie to Lairg most often, most recently about 6 months ago. Both green routes will be a similar experience. More remote, more single track roads, less civilization. The key attraction for me is more loch-side driving with a sprinkling of hills/mountains either side. Look at the routes using google terrain view, and also the street view and you'll get a good idea. I have tons of pics but not readily available so grabbed some screenshots below.

Now the A9 from Dornoch to Thurso certainly isn't bad. But the contrast in pics below sums it up for me. I prefer remoteness/lochs/hills over speed/coastal/flatter. Benefit of the A9 is easier driving, more civilization/facilities, but also more traffic/tourists/caravans. However, going in Late-April is optimal, being just enough away (hopefully) from winter, but way before school hols/tourist season starts. The midges shouldn't (fingers crossed) be horrific in April either.
I currently live in the US, and almost always visit Scotland mid to late May for similar reasons.

You can decide what is a pro and con from that

It would be rare (but not impossible) for there to be snow late-April. May be some at higher elevations on the hills, but typically not on the roads. I would certainly plan for there not to be and if you get unlucky tweak plans accordingly.

Scourie to Lairg

A9 north-east toward Thurso

bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by FlyingHighlander; Aug 4, 2019 at 9:20 pm
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:18 pm

Please do report back after your holiday. And enjoy!
I most assuredly will.

From Kylesku we plan to drive a loop - south to the A837 (there's a bridge I want to photograph at Oykel), the A839 to Lairg, then back along the A838 past Loch Shin and finally looping round to Kylesku. I watched Clarkson & Co again last night doing this for The Grand Tour. They cheated a lot, I know, but the scenery is fabulous.

Thanks, FlyingHighlander, for your recommendations.
FlyingHighlander and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:34 am

That will be a fine loop! Call me biased, but you guys cant really go wrong anywhere in the Highlands, particularly the far north. I love it up there. I actually have a business trip to the UK mid-August, so I'm tacking on a week in Scotland after it. This is making me want to come up with some kind of driving loop myself.

I just hope the potential LHR/BA strike on 23/24 Aug doesnt force me to drive up from London!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:09 am

For all that were engaging in the Scotland in the summer air conditioning talk, I am currently in Edinburgh and our room is 27 degrees Celsius/81 degree F. While we love the city, it’s miserable in our room. We slept with the garden door open last night but it didn’t help. Management just delivered a fan, fingers crossed the room cools down.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lovethecabin
For all that were engaging in the Scotland in the summer air conditioning talk, I am currently in Edinburgh and our room is 27 degrees Celsius/81 degree F. While we love the city, its miserable in our room. We slept with the garden door open last night but it didnt help. Management just delivered a fan, fingers crossed the room cools down.
I feel for you. Thats exactly why Id never visit Scotland and especially the Highlands in summer. Hope the fan helps!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.