Reload this Page >

some luxury hotels in Scotland

some luxury hotels in Scotland

Old Sep 25, 2019, 2:53 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by richarddd
It was the highest rated hotel I could find in central Glasgow based on reviews.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Will do, thanks. Not expecting luxury again, just a comfortable and nice final night of our trip. Will look forward to your thoughts at the conclusion of your stay. How many nights for you?
Old Sep 26, 2019, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Will do, thanks. Not expecting luxury again, just a comfortable and nice final night of our trip. Will look forward to your thoughts at the conclusion of your stay. How many nights for you?
We're just staying two nights. We do find it to be comfortable and nice.

BTW, the room description includes "Spacious living with walk-in wardrobes or roll-top baths." If you care, you might want to ask them in advance. We chose walk-in wardrobes.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:06 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by richarddd
We're just staying two nights. We do find it to be comfortable and nice.

BTW, the room description includes "Spacious living with walk-in wardrobes or roll-top baths." If you care, you might want to ask them in advance. We chose walk-in wardrobes.
I don’t even know what a roll top bath is!?!
richarddd likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I don’t even know what a roll top bath is!?!
I only know because I googled it. We generally have no interest in baths, so the choice was easy.

BTW, the Dakota was much nicer than the Glasshouse, even though the Glasshouse room was much bigger and had a view.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 9:51 am

I see that Isle of Eriska has regained its single star in the 2020 Michelin Guide. I'm at Inverlochy Castle right now, gazing out at the rain. I'll write about this and The Torridon in a few days' time.
ABG, livefromtuscany and FlyerEC like this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:02 am

Inverlochy Castle and The Torridon - a few thoughts

I said I would report back on Inverlochy Castle and The Torridon, both of which we stayed at this past week.

We went to Inverlochy first which initially made The Torridon look rather dowdy and cramped because Inverlochy is so impressive inside. While the exterior of the building is a bit brutal, even ugly, the interiors are utterly superb and spacious. We had expected the hotel to be a bit stuffy-starchy and it wasn’t like that at all. It was warm and homely and totally relaxing.

Our room, one level below the junior suites, was quite large, with a sitting area, sofas, a proper desk and a vista of Ben Nevis if the mist and rain shifted. The bathroom had a smart walk-in shower, a roll-top bath etc. It was genuinely luxurious.

We had dinner in the dining room with blue chairs - a stunningly beautiful venue for some excellent cooking chez Roux. We had called them two weeks earlier to request roast grouse but on arrival they said the grouse wasn’t up to their standards so they did partridge instead. We would have much preferred grouse as we can never source it locally whereas we have partridge families roaming right outside our home. Nevertheless, they created a lovely dish.

In recent years Inverlochy has relaxed their dress code, requesting that men wear a jacket with an optional tie. I have to report that every man in the restaurant complied with the jacket, though the man nearest to us was also wearing jeans and trainers.

Inverlochy is expensive but we felt it was worth every penny. We had booked through the SLH programme and saw not a single benefit.

The Torridon is perhaps a three to four-star hotel and much less expensive. The BBC were there with Monica Galetti and Giles Coren filming another Amazing Hotels programme. It lacks luxury touches like someone to park your car so you get very wet walking back from the car park. The public areas are much less impressive than Inverlochy. I thought the main lounge wasn’t quite big enough and a bit gloomy. However, the view is stupendous. There is also a bar with a quite stunning floor-to-ceiling array of malt whiskies.

Room choice here is critical as the cheaper categories can be a bit cramped and have rather old-style bathrooms. However, Room 3, Loch Torridon, is a fabulous choice with a panoramic view, sitting area, huge bed and a genuine five-star bathroom. Room 5 is also spectacular with an unusual wooden slip bath in the bedroom.

For us, the real star of The Torridon was the food. We had a set three course dinner (there is also a tasting menu) which was even better than Inverlochy. The cuisine is contemporary and creative but with a firm classical base. Breakfast was even better than dinner: quite possibly the best fry-up I have ever eaten with haggis, sausage, pancetta and black pudding, so not the healthy option. The fact that this restaurant isn’t in the Michelin or the Good Food Guide is absurd. I wore my Inverlochy rig and was the only man wearing a jacket.

If I stayed more than one night, I’d chose to have one dinner in the main restaurant and another, simpler dinner in their adjoining Inn.

We liked both hotels a lot but Inverlochy is probably the more memorable experience. And I happen to like Glenapp Castle more than either of them, though the location is awkward for anyone touring Scotland.

Last edited by Pausanias; Oct 12, 2019 at 10:11 am
Old Oct 14, 2019, 10:01 am

I am now at Granary Lodge in the far north east of Scotland. This is the B&B initiated by HRH The Prince of Wales in the grounds of the Castle of Mey which was the Queen Mother's retreat and is now owned by her grandson, Charles.

I have to say in all honesty that our room and bathroom knocks spots off Inverlochy Castle and most hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. This is a genuine five star accommodation with a gorgeous public lounge and restaurant which is, for the time being, only used for breakfasts.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 4:57 am

For anyone wanting to drive the NC500 and makes it to the far northeast tip of Scotland, I've recently put up a few photgraphs of Granary Lodge, the B&B owned by Prince Charles set within the grounds of the Castle of Mey. This is easily my hotel of the year.

Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:40 pm

Thank you, Pausanias. Adding this to “the list”.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Anything new here in the last... Two years? I'm guessing not, but we'll be in Glasgow for a couple days in May, COVID permitting. Virtuoso lists one property and it's out of town, so..... What is there? I appreciated the Dakota review!
Old Dec 26, 2021, 6:05 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA; SELECT TA; BAEC Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond; IHG Plantinum Amb
A bit late to reply, but if helpful - I like the look of the Kimpton Blythswood Square which isn’t in Virtuoso but is the SELECT program with similar type benefits ($100 F&B credit, breakfast, upgrade on arrival)
Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
We’re attending a wedding in Edinburgh in July and want to travel around the Highlands for a week following the wedding. This is my tentative itinerary. Would appreciate any suggestions/comments. I’ve never been to Scotland, so don’t have a good feel for how difficult the driving will be and if we’ve over-scheduled. We’ll want to see one or two castles and visit one or two distilleries, but we are mainly interested in hiking/walking and good food.

Day 1: drive from Edinburgh to Killiehuntly Farmhouse (alternative would be to drive Pierhouse or Airds in Argyll)
Day 2: drive from Killiehuntly to The Three Chimneys in Skye (booked for 2 nights)
Day 3: Sky
Day 4: move to different hotel in Skye
Day 5: drive to Kylesku Hotel (stay 2 nights) or stay at Torridon Hotel for 1 night;
Day 6: Torridon or Kylesku; stay in Kylesku
Day 7: drive to Inverness in evening (spend bulk of the day in Kylesku/Ullapool area)
Day 8: early AM flight from Inverness to Dublin

Some of our questions:
  • Does it make sense to spend 3 nights in Sky? We’ll have a pretty long drive to get there, so assuming we won’t see too much our first day.
  • Is our plan to drive from either Argyll or Killiehuntly to Skye on Day 2 too ambitious? Should we book someplace more on the direct route from Edinburgh to Skye?
  • Any recent intel on Three Chimneys after it was acquired a couple of years ago?
  • Are we shortchanging by not going further north or is it better to spend more time at fewer places?
  • Our inclination, where possible is to stay 2 nights in one place rather than move locations. Since Torridon Hotel is only available one night, we’re inclined to spend 2 nights at Kylesku hotel and cover more or less the same area. Would anyone recommend differently?
  • Our thought on Day 7 is to continue hiking/walking in the Kylesku/Ullapool area for the bulk of the day and get to Inverness just in time for dinner. Since we’re planning on an early flight the next day (most likely 7am, 11am latest), it seems pointless to stay at very upscale hotel in Inverness. Just want to be convenient to the airport.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by jtrader
...and if we’ve over-scheduled.
That's certain. I would pick only 2 or max 3 locations. Scotland is best enjoyed with some time to savor each location.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by jtrader
We’re attending a wedding in Edinburgh in July and want to travel around the Highlands for a week following the wedding. This is my tentative itinerary. Would appreciate any suggestions/comments. I’ve never been to Scotland, so don’t have a good feel for how difficult the driving will be and if we’ve over-scheduled.
First thing to say is July/August is absolutely the worst time to visit - masses of tourists, masses of midges, usually endless rain etc. You are also trying to cram in far too much. You will be surprised by how long the drives will take between your intended overnights. The roads are often single tracks with passing places and in July you will get mobile homes and caravans which don't help. The only good thing about July is the long daylight hours.

This is a typical road which happens to be near Kylesku -

Three Chimneys still has a good reputation I think and I've stayed at Port Appin Airds. Both of these are extremely remote - I can highly recommend Airds for a three or four night stay as long as you get the best rooms. I can also recommend Torridon for a few nights which is a great place to base yourself for scenic drives and maybe hikes. I've also been to Kylesku but there's no point going that far north just for a night unless you plan on driving across the top and down the east coast. Kylesku is almost impossible to book because of the popularity of the NC500 drive. They have recently taken over the nearby Newton Lodge which gives them a few more rooms and an extra dining option. Decent hotels are few and far between up there. Sometimes I think there needs to be a sort of Holiday Inn with 100 rooms to take the strain. But maybe not. People sometimes argue for a proper road with two lanes . . . but maybe not.
SanDiego1K and FlyerEC like this.

Last edited by Pausanias; Jan 11, 2022 at 11:42 pm
Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:10 am

To drive from The Three Chimneys on Skye to the Torridon Hotel you will need to drive the Applecross Peninsula road, regarded as the UK's most challenging. In reality it's no problem in good weather and as long as an idiot mobile home driver doesn't block the road or get skewered on a hairpin bend. The drive isn't great in mileage but the going is very slow.

offerendum and FlyerEC like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.