bhrubin and lb8001 like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
So true
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Tried out Maison De La Luz last week.

Across the street from the Ace, although the same owner.

The hard product is excellent. Carpets and flooring in general are high quality, although the interior designer in me wonders how this will withstand all the abuse hotels receive over the years.

They forgot to do turndown for the only night I was there, and that forgetting was the only negative I experience I had. I can't evaluate how good the cleaning or turndown was (I.e., I don't know whether they put water at the bedsides).

But other than that I would absolutely stay again. Not sure about the Ritz but I'm generally not game for that chain.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:50 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I’m interested now in learning how a suite at the RC might compare with those at the Omni Royal Orleans or even the newly refurbished W New Orleans, as well as the Sonia, Waldorf, and Windsor. But I’d much rather be near or in the French Quarter.
I've stayed in both a Club Executive Suite at RC NOLA and a One Bedroom Suite at the Omni Royal Orleans twice.

The latter is my go to for Southern Decadence because you can get it for ~$450-600 a night, which is what RC is going to charge for an entry level Club room (non-suite).
  • Both times I have stayed at the Omni, the 1 br suite has had two full bathrooms. But they were both quite cramped and shower-over-tub. One time I was on the Royal St. & St. Louis corner and it was quite loud. The other time I was on the Toulouse St. side and it was much quieter but the bathrooms were both comically tiny. The room was a different layout than the other time. It was basically two normal rooms + bathroom joined at the center -- i.e. enter from the hotel hallway and you find yourself at a wall; turn right and it's the bedroom, left and it's the living room.
  • The RC Executive suite has a full bath w/ a separate shower and tub plus a half bath off the entryway. It was a nicer layout and slightly better hard product. My main gripe was that the water pressure was very sub par. It was fronting a quieter street. The room had high ceilings.
The Ritz was in pretty dire need of a refresh when I stayed there (like wallpaper corners held on with duct tape in the hallways... but the rooms themselves were not super shabby just looking dated) but otherwise from the service and little touches you can tell it's a 5 star hotel vs. the Omni. Since they are currently refreshing the Ritz I imagine it will be a much different situation once completed... hopefully they fix the water pressure too. I enjoyed the RC NOLA Club quite a bit.

Omni Royal Orleans

Ritz Executive Suite

Last edited by david22; Oct 9, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Old Oct 10, 2019, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm surprised that the RC is in saucy reportedly bad shape as IIRC it was closed for renovations a long time after Katrina. I assume that everything was redone at that time.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 5:47 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm surprised that the RC is in saucy reportedly bad shape as IIRC it was closed for renovations a long time after Katrina. I assume that everything was redone at that time.
Katrina was in 2005? How long was it closed? I stayed in March 2018.

As I said, the room itself was okay. It was looking a little outdated but not in a state of disrepair. The hallways around the guestrooms were pretty sad, though.

Anyway, they are doing a major renovation now that will be ready in a few months, and it looks like it'll turn out well.

Low res video capture with hallway half redone (old yellow in the distance vs. new wallpaper and carpet)

damon88 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 1:40 am

Programs: Quintessentially Elite, Amex Cent, UA* Lifetime Plat (2mm+), AA CK (6mm+)
Originally Posted by sophialite
Tried out Maison De La Luz last week.

Across the street from the Ace, although the same owner.

The hard product is excellent. Carpets and flooring in general are high quality, although the interior designer in me wonders how this will withstand all the abuse hotels receive over the years.

They forgot to do turndown for the only night I was there, and that forgetting was the only negative I experience I had. I can't evaluate how good the cleaning or turndown was (I.e., I don't know whether they put water at the bedsides).

But other than that I would absolutely stay again. Not sure about the Ritz but I'm generally not game for that chain.
I was there last week and while whimsical and generally solid, it felt a bit like a Kit Kemp/Firmdale knockoff.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 2:17 am

Wink

Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas
I was there last week and while whimsical and generally solid, it felt a bit like a Kit Kemp/Firmdale knockoff.
You say that like it's a bad thing! If Firmdale refuses to open in other locations, I'm totally fine with other hotels knocking it off.

I personally felt like it was kind of ripping off the Shinola Hotal in Detroit, but this one felt like I was being a bit less obviously manipulated by private equity investors
BenjaminNicholas likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: Quintessentially Elite, Amex Cent, UA* Lifetime Plat (2mm+), AA CK (6mm+)
Originally Posted by sophialite
You say that like it's a bad thing! If Firmdale refuses to open in other locations, I'm totally fine with other hotels knocking it off.

I personally felt like it was kind of ripping off the Shinola Hotal in Detroit, but this one felt like I was being a bit less obviously manipulated by private equity investors
I can't entirely disagree, however, nothing is quite like staying at one of Kit & Tim's places. They have found a lovely niche. Rarely do hotels feel special, but somehow all of the Firmdale properties have that X-factor that makes me grin like an idiot.

Like you, I'd love to see them expand in the States
Old Oct 12, 2019, 3:52 pm

TBF, used to be a huge Firmdale fan, but not anymore. Hard product is great but soft product isn't quite there.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 1:04 am
Original Member

New Orleans finally gets a Four Seasons — opening 17 August 2021
https://www.forbes.com/sites/larryol...h=1cbe4b405b3d

On the banks of the Mississippi at the river end of Canal Street. It’s a 36-story high-rise which puts me off a bit.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 5:23 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
All early reports are that it is going to be ridiculously awesome. I have an old attachment to the Windsor Court but this is a game changer. It looks a little big, but other than that, it will destroy everything else in the Big Easy.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 8:45 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Valveking
All early reports are that it is going to be ridiculously awesome. I have an old attachment to the Windsor Court but this is a game changer. It looks a little big, but other than that, it will destroy everything else in the Big Easy.
Seems exciting. Was planning to go to the Windsor Court after talking to one of the staff members on Reddit. Will probably still go (to collect the bear) but it looks like the FS here will be the defacto best property moving forward
Old Sep 30, 2021, 5:32 am

Programs: AA plat; SPG Gold; club 5c
Has anyone stayed at the FS yet? Ritz club looks ~$100 / night cheaper but close enough that i can be convinced. Looks like FS spa and fitness center still closed but suppose that could change. any feedback would be appreciated.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:43 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Any new updates to this thread?

Looking for a 1-2 night getaway. We traditionally stay at the Roosevelt but are looking for something smaller, more boutique style.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.