New Orleans: Where to stay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Orleans: Where to stay?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2015, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I like the Windsor Court partly because it's a bit away from the raunchiness of most of the French Quarter and Canal Street.

The JW Marriott is just a big ugly modern convention hotel.

There are two Ws in New Orleans. I haven't tried either one, but they could be interesting if you like that style and have SPG status.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 6:23 pm

I booked 10 nights at the Soniat House in late March and I'm looking forward to my first stay at the property.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 3:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
Originally Posted by DetailsIM
Any tips on how to bring wine on a long road trip? Nervous about the changing of temps.
These work well to transport wine during the hot summer months in the South:

http://www.amazon.com/Koolatron-P75-36-Quart-Electric-Cooler/dp/B0001MQ7E0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1437642017 http://www.amazon.com/Koolatron-P75-36-Quart-Electric-Cooler/dp/B0001MQ7E0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1437642017
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by OliverB
I booked 10 nights at the Soniat House in late March and I'm looking forward to my first stay at the property.
Soniat House is as 'classic New Orleans' as it gets, and it's the best place in town for rubbing elbows with celebrities.

Actually saw a special on the hotel, on TV, last time I was in the UK.

A 'famous' hotel...that's for sure.

I will say that - be prepared for "charming" - and there have been complaints of being a bit run down and in need of a refurb.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Soniat House is as 'classic New Orleans' as it gets, and it's the best place in town for rubbing elbows with celebrities.

Actually saw a special on the hotel, on TV, last time I was in the UK.

A 'famous' hotel...that's for sure.

I will say that - be prepared for "charming" - and there have been complaints of being a bit run down and in need of a refurb.
Charming is definitely what we're looking for. We booked a Jr. Suite and the very kind woman who I spoke with at the property spent a good amount of time describing the different room categories to me over the phone - the views, features, sizes, etc. She reserved a room facing the courtyard with a private covered terrace; apparently the only one in the Jr. Suite category. She also asked if I would okay with an upgrade at check-in. I felt fairly confident in speaking with her that we were in good hands. What aspects of the property are you aware of that might be considered run down?
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mapu
These work well to transport wine during the hot summer months in the South:

http://www.amazon.com/Koolatron-P75-...qid=1437642017
Well that is pretty neat.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
I like the Windsor Court for the exact reasons mentioned above. It is a great location-- Just far enough from the Quarter and Canal to get a good night's sleep and a little peace. I have also stayed at the Soniat House which is wonderful if you are looking for a lot of atmosphere.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There are two Ws in New Orleans. I haven't tried either one, but they could be interesting if you like that style and have SPG status.
Not anymore. The bigger one was rebranded as Le Meridien. I been to the remaining one near, but not in, the French Quarter. It is, uhhh, a 'W' with little of the upside and all (ALL!) of the downside. But I've long fired the entire 'W' chain. At some point my tastes changed or the W's changed. ... I cannot imagine asking housekeeping at a W to stop spraying that perfume all over the place. And the crooked mirrors give me a headache.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Not anymore. The bigger one was rebranded as Le Meridien. I been to the remaining one near, but not in, the French Quarter. It is, uhhh, a 'W' with little of the upside and all (ALL!) of the downside. But I've long fired the entire 'W' chain. At some point my tastes changed or the W's changed. ... I cannot imagine asking housekeeping at a W to stop spraying that perfume all over the place. And the crooked mirrors give me a headache.
I have never understood the W brand/experience; clearly I'm not the target market...

Regards
Old Jul 24, 2015, 12:20 am

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
Originally Posted by scubadu
I have never understood the W brand/experience; clearly I'm not the target market...

Regards
I don't care for them either. The only one I am aware of in New Orleans is scary in my opinion.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:08 am
Original Member

Soniat House is our preferred address in NOLA. But, it's very important to have a suite in the extention directly across the street from the main site. MUCH more comfortable, luxe and classy.

Because this is a boutique hotel many services are lacking but we were just fine there. Do not miss the continental breakfast of cafe au lait, fresh OJ and oven-warm biscuits with home-made jam.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by KatW
Soniat House is our preferred address in NOLA. But, it's very important to have a suite in the extention directly across the street from the main site. MUCH more comfortable, luxe and classy.

Because this is a boutique hotel many services are lacking but we were just fine there. Do not miss the continental breakfast of cafe au lait, fresh OJ and oven-warm biscuits with home-made jam.
Do you feel that it's worth spending the extra $100 per night for a full sized Suite versus Jr Suite?

I would normally not hesitate to upgrade for that price, but considering we are staying 10 nights (already 4.5k) that's an additional 1k in cost.

We are currently booked into a Jr. Suite at a very affordable $450/night rate. Full sized Suites start at $550. I'm an SLH member and qualify for complimentary upgrades pending availability, but I wonder if it's worth paying to secure?

Would you mind offering some comparison between the Jr Suites and full sizes Suites as well as the layout and pros/cons of both buildings? Was the courtyard attached to the main building not a consideration?

Thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:21 am
Original Member

Both buildings have a lovely courtyard, each with fountain, plants, flowers and outdoor seating (which might not appeal all that much during the day in August but will be lovely around 9pm). If it were my choice, I'd book in the "new" building the full suite with balcony looking out on Chartres Street. It doesn't get better than that in New Orleans. The increase in cost is worth every penny. If you can't get that then the junior suite will be comfortable. Be sure that junior suite is in the "new" building which is much superior to the main building. Rooms there are cramped and often a bit tired.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by KatW
Both buildings have a lovely courtyard, each with fountain, plants, flowers and outdoor seating (which might not appeal all that much during the day in August but will be lovely around 9pm). If it were my choice, I'd book in the "new" building the full suite with balcony looking out on Chartres Street. It doesn't get better than that in New Orleans. The increase in cost is worth every penny. If you can't get that then the junior suite will be comfortable. Be sure that junior suite is in the "new" building which is much superior to the main building. Rooms there are cramped and often a bit tired.
Thanks so much; will do!

Just to be sure, the "new" building is still a c.1800's heritage building, right? I'm assuming that it still exudes the same "old world" feeling and sense of history as the "original" building?

Thank you, Kat!
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:39 am
Original Member

The "new" building is 300+ years old. It's new in that it was acquired, renovated and furnished after the main building was established as a hotel. It is directly across the one-way street from the main building. Bith buildings are about the same size, each features a courtyard and each shrieks history and oozes authentic charm of long ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.