Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Siam Hotel, Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2021, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

It's more of a tastefully done recreation of an old colonial era hotel and miles ahead of the originals like the Strand Yangon or Belmond's Governors Residence. These old buildings will always struggle with wifi and air conditioning can be a problem at any Bangkok luxury hotel.

I think they need to run the shuttle boats as often as guests would like or just stay here for the urban resort feel.
not2017 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
I think they need to run the shuttle boats as often as guests would like or just stay here for the urban resort feel.
We’ve always found you can just share your general plan with them and they will make the shuttle work out to your liking. We have always just told our butler the goals of an outing and he handles the particulars.
Fliar and FlyerEC like this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 8:51 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I've stayed at the Siam a few times over the last couple of months. While it's hard to compare with "normal" Bangkok city hotels, this place is special and if I had to pick a single favourite hotel this would be it.

I appreciate good architecture, and this one of Bill Bensley's masterpieces. The property overall is stunning and has been filled with genuinely unique antiques and artefacts from the owner's personal holdings. Service here is focused around Butlers who are Aman-style rather than St Regis style and as well as being lovely go out of their way to make your stay perfect. As escape4 mentioned, other parts of the service in the restaurant or terrace are perhaps not quite up there with the best hotels in the world (and the cocktail menu really needs a revamp), but the Butler service does mean I'd say the Siam has the best service for me out of any hotel I've visited in Thailand.

I was lucky enough on my first visit to get upgraded to a Riverview Pool Villa which was gloriously beautiful, but having been in the "normal" Riverview Suites on subsequent visits I'd actually say in some ways they are the nicer room. On my last stay I had a private muay thai session with a former national champion and then a massage in the spa by someone who clearly knew a lot more about how to give a massage than even your typical 5* spa masseuse.

I'm usually running around the city on my days in Bangkok and so the hotel is a bit out of the way for me. While not terribly convenient, I still hope to be able to return every month or so for the time being (and perhaps once a year in the future) just to appreciate the piece of art it is.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 10:48 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
On my last stay I had a private muay thai session with a former national champion
Impressive. Now that is top notch service.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 12:12 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA,UA,DL,BA,HH,*W,BW
As mentioned by EuropeanPete , this is a Bill Bensley designed property. I have only stayed at a few of the Bensley designed properties, but not at The Siam. Some people don't like the Bensley style, I thoroughly enjoy the atmosphere that Bensley creates. But thank you for for your review. The pics are excellent! I wonder if the service is a bit off because of the pandemic. People report from all around the world that things are not what they were in the "before times".
Old Dec 17, 2021, 10:00 pm

Programs: some
I visited and stayed here many times. Had many sessions with the Muay Thai ajarn. I still have the bruises to prove it ;-)
This is a phenomenal property in many ways. I think I wrote an in-depth review of it when it opened.
EuropeanPete and scented like this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 8:41 am

The Siam, Bangkok in 2022... the ultimate in riverside luxury

Just wanted to give a quick update on The Siam... we checked in December 21st and were scheduled to leave after Christmas, but ultimately extended our stay as being there was simply sublime. I don't know how Nick does it, but one would think that during a pandemic and with Thailand opening and closing every other minute, the guest experience would suffer... quite to the contrary -- we've never had a better stay there. Although, yes, obviously they had a hard time, but won’t show it to a guest. Which says a lot.

They lost a few team members along the way but I saw so many familiar faces and all of them were so warm, kind and caring that you hardly want to leave the hotel. Yes, it is still really that good. Think it comes down to their butlers and very caring team at Chon. Cannot imagine The Siam without butlers and thankfully we don't have to.

We had a very late check-in at 10 PM and these night-time arrivals are always difficult -- not at The Siam, where Nick was still there and Khun Gub even insisted on starting unpacking at this hour. Of course, the entire villa set-up was sheer perfection. We had sent some luggage ahead of check-in at the hotel, including purchases and everything had already been set up. A dream.

So what's new? All of the villas are being refreshed, carefully so. They sensibly kept what was already great and enhanced some necessary aspects, all of the woodwork was touched up; new fabrics for the sofa; all cushions have been replaced including the ones on the daybed outside; the pools got new filtering systems and they also changed faucets in the bathroom including new, matte-black sinks (which are very sexy). The villas are supremely comfortable and there’s nothing better than spending the afternoons there, lounging between the sunroof and the private pool.

What hasn’t changed is their generosity, I would argue The Siam is actually really great value. From breakfast to their villa-only complimentary afternoon treats, the spirit of generosity is everywhere. The new breakfast at Chon (but they will serve it anywhere) is incredible, we tried a lot of the new breakfast dishes and they are all great. Loved the Smashed Avocado Toast and their new Acai Bowl. The Coconut Waffles are still on the menu and are still a favourite, though they are much more funky now with bacon and Dulce de Leche ice cream, which works astoundingly well. Off menu requests were always catered to, if they could and most of the time they could. Nothing was too much trouble. One night at 10 PM I felt like having Mango and Sticky Rice and as fate would have it, they ran out of mangos… in every other hotel, an alternative would have been suggested or the request would have been denied but clearly not at The Siam, where at 10 PM they sent out someone to pick up Mangos from a famous store and actually delivered shortly thereafter…

They also brought back the opening chef of hotel, Blair Mathieson, to work through all of the menus and revamp them. I love the results. They have already launched The Story House menu, which is currently available at Chon, until the proper venue is open in the old space of Café Cha. The menu is modern and old at the same time, in a good way. I love that they do their own food, no celebrity chef, no Japanese restaurant, think proper "home style“-cooked dishes, basically the essence of old Aman, but naturally to a very, very high standard. Sitting at Chon, I also noticed that all of the music had been revamped, so instead of old Thai music, they now play more atmospheric and modern sounds. It works. I was worried about the Thai menu as Chef Damri left to open up his own restaurant, but luckily it was still solid.

I was equally happy to see that Khun Oh is still reigning over the Spa. As good as ever and thankfully, Sodashi isn’t going anywhere. They still have both Sodashi treatments and their Ayurvedic menu, of which I tried a few treatments, such as Shirodhara. The Siam has a great flow and I think that really makes the experience, you can have a fantastic workout in their gym, including private Muay Thai lessons, have a Sodashi shower afterwards and proceed to one of the best Spas in the world. Then you cruise down the river on their custom boat. Bliss!

What makes The Siam so great is that it feels intimate, it’s anything but commercial, it’s home. Nick is everywhere and always connecting with his guests, as are the butlers, who still serve you in your villa or at any of the restaurants, whenever they can. One of their next projects, aside from a proper Story House launch, will be to revamp the gym with new equipment, they will soon open up the restyled Vinyl room and touch up the Spa I think. It’s hard to find faults — I am not sure if Bensley do their own lighting but they could really have a good look at the lighting throughout the hotel, some of the pendant lights in the villas have really cold, harsh light and the same is true for some of the recessed ceilings in the other buildings. With a great lighting designer, they could do so much more with the existing architecture, which would totally elevate the experience. But those are tiny details and right now, I just can’t wait to return.

For those wondering, the team's mind-reading abilities are still there, they remembered preferences from years ago. We mentioned once that we loved the banana chips they used to have -- four huge packs of them appeared shortly thereafter in the villa. Years ago we had pictures taken on-site, they contacted the photographer to obtain a picture from him, framed and gifted it us, along with a Christmas card.

Hopefully the closed border situation isn’t too hard on them. The Siam remains the top, top, top choice in Bangkok and Thailand. I am not the least bit interested in Aman’s Nai Lert project, considering the sheer excellence in Dusit, by the river.

We also stayed at the new FS Bangkok on this recent trip and dined at Capella and MO, so if anyone has questions, happy to answer them.

nmuva98 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 8:33 am

Programs: some
Quick update - stayed here with the family in a river view villa. It's been a long time since I last stayed here and it is still exceptional. Only downside is poor pool setup (no shade for sunbeds, almost non-existent service) but we enjoyed our private plunge pool, and the lack of English from some staff. But mostly we interacted through our butler. We really loved booking the private movie room! This remains a truly gorgeous property. Like staying in a museum.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Fliar
Quick update - stayed here with the family in a river view villa. It's been a long time since I last stayed here and it is still exceptional. Only downside is poor pool setup (no shade for sunbeds, almost non-existent service) but we enjoyed our private plunge pool, and the lack of English from some staff. But mostly we interacted through our butler. We really loved booking the private movie room! This remains a truly gorgeous property. Like staying in a museum.
Lack of English is not only a problem in Thailand. On my journey in France many staff in hotels and starred restaurant wasn´t fluent in English or they simply didin´t speak it.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 9:58 am

This is the not the first time I hear this. I must have been lucky -- I always got a wonderful setup of iced water, fan, sunscreen and tissues + menu. The good news is that Nick will no doubt rectify and further develop The Siam's service...

I shall be returning later this year. Did you manage to dine at The Story House? I hear it is open now!
Old Jul 29, 2022, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

It doesn't help that the most competent English speakers are always changing jobs and looking for more money.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 7:15 pm

I’m currently staying at The Siam, 3 nights done and 3 nights to go.

In short: The stay couldn’t be more perfect

Every aspect of this hotel makes that you feel special and thought about. From the checkin that was flawlessly easy to the very attentive butler service to most of the staff knowing who you are by name. (And most of them talk very good English)
The hotel Itself is beautiful, one of the better Bill Bensley designs, the rooms are stunning as well (we are staying in a pool Villa) and make that you have a peace heaven to come home after a busy day in Bangkok. This is enforced by the fact that this hotel only has about 40 rooms
The food is good, breakfast, lunch in the Asian restaurant, room service and the Story House all what you would expect from this level of hotel.
The Spa is really good and the gym is nice.
The pool and the service at the pool is indeed a bit less than the rest. It took 6 minutes before Igot a wonderful setup of iced water, fan, sunscreen and tissues + menu. While at no other occasion during the 3 days I had to wait for more than a minute before service arrived, imho this service at the pool is perfectly acceptable.

so in for these past 3 days really a perfect and flawless stay. I will certainly come back
Old Aug 2, 2022, 4:35 am

Programs: Some
I really wish people wouldn't keep publishing all these positive reviews of The Siam, it's making me question if I should cancel my stay next week and rebook here!
FlyerEC, MattEvan and Kacee like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Koen dc
I’m currently staying at The Siam, 3 nights done and 3 nights to go.

In short: The stay couldn’t be more perfect

Every aspect of this hotel makes that you feel special and thought about. From the checkin that was flawlessly easy to the very attentive butler service to most of the staff knowing who you are by name. (And most of them talk very good English)
The hotel Itself is beautiful, one of the better Bill Bensley designs, the rooms are stunning as well (we are staying in a pool Villa) and make that you have a peace heaven to come home after a busy day in Bangkok. This is enforced by the fact that this hotel only has about 40 rooms
The food is good, breakfast, lunch in the Asian restaurant, room service and the Story House all what you would expect from this level of hotel.
The Spa is really good and the gym is nice.
The pool and the service at the pool is indeed a bit less than the rest. It took 6 minutes before Igot a wonderful setup of iced water, fan, sunscreen and tissues + menu. While at no other occasion during the 3 days I had to wait for more than a minute before service arrived, imho this service at the pool is perfectly acceptable.

so in for these past 3 days really a perfect and flawless stay. I will certainly come back
Wonderful news !
Thanks for sharing... so happy to read this !
FlyerEC and vuittonsofstyle like this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 2:13 pm

Have been there a few times, always service in perfection. In the planning of a return trip.
FlyerEC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.