Wiki Posts
Search

The Siam Hotel, Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2015, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Respectively disagree re: the Thai massage remark...

I think you could get the best Thai massage in the world and still not enjoy it (which was my case at multiple locations known for 'the best' Thai massages countrywide).

To me, a Thai massage is like passive yoga. And if I'm going to be doing yoga, I want to be active, not passive.

No matter how strong/weak the masseuse is, I always find myself yawning during a Thai massage.

Give me a deep tissue (or some local speciality treatment, as I had in both Siam and Esencia recently) over Thai any day.
The Siam's Muay Thai acupressure massage with extra pressure is also good. There was this little, older Thai therapist that my wife loved for her hands. Dont remmeber her name now.

We come from a country that couldn't do a Thai massage to save their lives. You miss what you can't have.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Great hotel, inconvenient location
Old Oct 17, 2015, 12:02 am

I would recommend booking your spa treatments in advance if you want particular times. It can book up. I had a very good aroma journey massage and some kind of scrub. My husband had the Muay Thai massage-he liked it, but if you want a traditional Thai massage just get that one. I can't stand Thai massage-I like something more relaxing.
I did an hour long Muay Thai class and really enjoyed it. They bring in a trainer from a local place. It was a lot of fun and a pretty hard workout.

The hotel really is gorgeous and I didn't find the location inconvenient for my plans. I think we have officially defected from the MO. I loved the room and the outdoor space and sun deck we had.

Last edited by cakegirl; Oct 17, 2015 at 12:09 am
Old Oct 17, 2015, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cakegirl
I would recommend booking your spa treatments in advance if you want particular times. It can book up. I had a very good aroma journey massage and some kind of scrub. My husband had the Muay Thai massage-he liked it, but if you want a traditional Thai massage just get that one. I can't stand Thai massage-I like something more relaxing.
I did an hour long Muay Thai class and really enjoyed it. They bring in a trainer from a local place. It was a lot of fun and a pretty hard workout.

The hotel really is gorgeous and I didn't find the location inconvenient for my plans. I think we have officially defected from the MO. I loved the room and the outdoor space and sun deck we had.
Their spa is one of Bangkok's top spas after all. Conde Nast approved and reviewed.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 5:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cakegirl

I'd agree - just don't get the fuss about the location.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 6:23 am

We're here at the moment on the 3rd night of our stay, staying in a Pool Villa Courtyard. I have very little to add that has not already been said - it's truly a fantastic hotel. I won't go as far as pricesquire's love for it, as I've certainly stayed at many better hotels, but there is really not much to complain about here. Really wonderful service, fantastic rooms, spa therapists that my girlfriend wants to bring back home with us, and a really beautiful hotel. Jason was there to greet us from the car and has been thoroughly pleasant the entire time.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 4:27 pm

Very pleased to hear that! Enjoy Bangkok, what a wonderful time and hotel to visit.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by scented
Very pleased to hear that! Enjoy Bangkok, what a wonderful time and hotel to visit.
Thanks! We left this morning and now we're en-route to Amanjiwo. I've put some photos here of The Siam, although once again I think pricesquire has covered it very well with his: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132880...57662236740850

I did ask to visit some of the other rooms, but the only way available was the Riverview Suite. I didn't note down the room #, but I am glad we decided on the Pool Villa Courtyard after viewing it. 1) It's closer to the pier and bar/restaurants, and I'm lazy. 2) I really did enjoy the courtyard and extra space that offered, along with the relaxing sound of the water from the plunge pool. As always, the plunge pool was not heated, so I basically put my feet in it at most, but c'est le vie. The butler mentioned that hardly anyone ever used the sunbathers on the roof and we were no different. If I stayed again I'd likely stay in the same room.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 1:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Thanks! We left this morning and now we're en-route to Amanjiwo. I've put some photos here of The Siam, although once again I think pricesquire has covered it very well with his: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132880...57662236740850

I did ask to visit some of the other rooms, but the only way available was the Riverview Suite. I didn't note down the room #, but I am glad we decided on the Pool Villa Courtyard after viewing it. 1) It's closer to the pier and bar/restaurants, and I'm lazy. 2) I really did enjoy the courtyard and extra space that offered, along with the relaxing sound of the water from the plunge pool. As always, the plunge pool was not heated, so I basically put my feet in it at most, but c'est le vie. The butler mentioned that hardly anyone ever used the sunbathers on the roof and we were no different. If I stayed again I'd likely stay in the same room.
Glad you enjoyed the property, and please ignore my last PM about the NYE party at Jason's house. Figured your dates lined up with 12/31 and 1/1, but I was mistaken!

Great pictures by the way!!

Lastly, interest you enjoyed the Pool Villa Courtyard so much. I mean: I send clients here often who love it, but the feeling I hear most is something along the lines of: "yeah, the villa is gorgeous and we loved it, but we do with we were part of the main house." There is a lot of character in the main house and my wife did feel a bit torn being "out" of it. Also kind of sucked when it started raining, as we wanted to play snooker and hit the library but it was such a downpour we had to wait it out.

Anyways, happy about your stay!

(And yes, I've stayed at "better" places, but the Siam really is still my favorite. Sometimes it doesn't boil down to hard product vs. hard product, or best vs. best....but really it's: this is the one who, overall, we enjoyed the most. Something about being in crazy BKK and coming home to the Siam is so...relieving?)
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:42 pm

Lastly, interest you enjoyed the Pool Villa Courtyard so much. I mean: I send clients here often who love it, but the feeling I hear most is something along the lines of: "yeah, the villa is gorgeous and we loved it, but we do with we were part of the main house." There is a lot of character in the main house and my wife did feel a bit torn being "out" of it. Also kind of sucked when it started raining, as we wanted to play snooker and hit the library but it was such a downpour we had to wait it out.
)
It's perfectly understandable if it rained. If the weather was poor then I would have definitely reconsidered it, but we had beautiful weather the entire time - well, very warm/sunshine, with a high humidity that made me feel like I was disintegrating. Being able to eat outside in England is a rarity due to it being so cold, so I was happy to spend most of our time by the pier and outdoor dining areas.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 6:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Jason the GM has left the Siam!
Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:44 am

Jason the GM has left the Siam!
"As I enter my 5th year with The Siam and have completed my goals to build, open and operate the property to its world class positioning I am excited to announce the forming of my own company, J.M.Friedman & Co - Bespoke Hospitality Services.

It has been incredibly exciting to be involved in The Siam from its initial drawing board concept and positioning it as one of Asia’s finest and most respected hotels. I am proud of building a likeminded, committed team to ensure that at all touch points our guests receive our special brand of service that has seen the hotel recognised with many prestigious awards.

Until the appointment of my successor, The Siam’s Hotel Manager, Nawee Wattanasongsuit [email protected] and Leanne Hucker, Director of Sales & Marketing [email protected] will be at your disposal for any assistance you may require.

I look forward to sharing with you future updates in the near future."

www.jmfriedman.com
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
"As I enter my 5th year with The Siam and have completed my goals to build, open and operate the property to its world class positioning I am excited to announce the forming of my own company, J.M.Friedman & Co - Bespoke Hospitality Services.

It has been incredibly exciting to be involved in The Siam from its initial drawing board concept and positioning it as one of Asia’s finest and most respected hotels. I am proud of building a likeminded, committed team to ensure that at all touch points our guests receive our special brand of service that has seen the hotel recognised with many prestigious awards.

Until the appointment of my successor, The Siam’s Hotel Manager, Nawee Wattanasongsuit [email protected] and Leanne Hucker, Director of Sales & Marketing [email protected] will be at your disposal for any assistance you may require.

I look forward to sharing with you future updates in the near future."

www.jmfriedman.com
Friends with him on Facebook?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:18 am

Friends with him on Facebook?
He emailed me. Known him since Aman & FS Tented Camp.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:07 pm

He's a tough act to follow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.