Wiki Posts
Search

Trip report Vietnam: 4 nights Park Hyatt Saigon, 9 nights Amanoi

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:19 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by scented
This adult-pool issue is odd. Very un-Aman. Why not label it "quiet pool"? What exactly is the rule? Could be a potential source of frustration for everyone involved. I've seen adults behaving unruly in pools before, not always a kids-thing.
Quiet pool would be better - adults swimming laps made more sound than our son, but if Aman is your home, I think it is odd to label pools in any way.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:59 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Beautiful sunset photos, Musken. Thank you for sharing. The lake is quite pretty as well.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:17 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Musken
Very sorry to hear about your first experiences. I hope it is getting better from now on. I assume you have made management aware.

Regarding cliff pool: We were never informed that the cliff pool was supposed to be adult only. It is written nowhere at the Internet site and nobody told us when we went there. Only one of the last days I read the information in the room where I saw that it was written and then I just ignored it. If they intend to keep this an adult only pool, they should make sure to make everyone aware of this before arrival. I would have been very disappointed if somebody told me this only after arrival. Or maybe they define adult as above 10 years old which is the age of our son.... My point is: such things should be communicated clearly to avoid disappointments for adults and for families. Once communicated the rules should be followed.
I completely agree, Musken. If this is a policy, it must be communicated in advance of booking. And quietness, rather than age, is the key issue. (Staff say that the large number of noisy children here this week is highly unusual.)
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:21 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Update from Amanoi

Susan and Bagi have sorted all issues quickly and perfectly, so we are now really settling in to the terrific food, superb spa, and glorious topography of this unique place. I agree with londonjetsetter entirely that the Cliff Pool is an instant classic, and we have ensconced ourselves daily in the shaded nook there that Musken mentioned.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:35 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Groombridge
Susan and Bagi have sorted all issues quickly and perfectly, so we are now really settling in to the terrific food, superb spa, and glorious topography of this unique place. I agree with londonjetsetter entirely that the Cliff Pool is an instant classic, and we have ensconced ourselves daily in the shaded nook there that Musken mentioned.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:36 am

So pleased that you've had the issues you encountered sorted out - Groombridge and that you have a fabulous stay. However in a "Luxury" property should you have to contact the manager - what about those who don't read FT and don't know who to contact!
I agree on the quiet pool - 2 noisy adults can be more annoying that 2 noisy kids. I do think there are some who occasionally leave their children at home and don't want to be disturbed by others offspring. It is the Easter Holidays and I imagine there would be more families there.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:44 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
So pleased that you've had the issues you encountered sorted out - Groombridge and that you have a fabulous stay. However in a "Luxury" property should you have to contact the manager - what about those who don't read FT and don't know who to contact!
I agree on the quiet pool - 2 noisy adults can be more annoying that 2 noisy kids. I do think there are some who occasionally leave their children at home and don't want to be disturbed by others offspring. It is the Easter Holidays and I imagine there would be more families there.
I agree in general, but in Amanresorts (most) there is really close contact between the GM/other senior management and the guests. They always come around to chat, and talking to them about possible issues is just natural. If you do not read FT or usually go to Amans, you might not realise that is is the GM you talk to. I did not know this during my first Aman visits, but was always taken very well care of by the people I talked to.

On the other hand, during such repetitive issues as Groombridge had with housekeeping, I would have asked to talk to the manager in charge anyway.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
I completely agree, Musken. If this is a policy, it must be communicated in advance of booking. And quietness, rather than age, is the key issue. (Staff say that the large number of noisy children here this week is highly unusual.)
+1
& must remember to check when the busy periods are at N'oi prior to next trip !
They ' ll have an idea by Sep / Oct

^
Hope you ( & all guests ) get to know this efficient , friendly , all over N'oi team too - as you can see they are all very fit .

Feel free to request off menu items or for previous ' specials ' enjoyed
Spectacular sunsets from the cliff pool when we were there in Jan ( while it was lovely sunrises from our pavilion )
Have a wonderful rest of stay

Last edited by FlyerEC; Apr 17, 2014 at 2:38 pm Reason: Add info
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

more fantastic reports and photos from Musken and halibahs
plus great details (positive and negative) from other posters

Pausanias, see bottom of this post re aman incl F&B >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22607265-post17.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 23, 2014 at 8:42 am
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
more fantastic reports and photos from Musken and halibahs
plus great details (positive and negative) from other posters

any vegetation being grown to increase privacy? or talk of planting?

as long as the TV is not mounted..

re holidays http://www.amanresorts.com/amanoi/rates.aspx >

Pausanias, see bottom of this post re aman incl F&B >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22607265-post17.html

would those who had ocean pool mind posting room numbers?
N'oi is in a national park ! Vegetation is more Mediterranean . Besides " scrub land " growth / trees , the pavilions are also surrounded by boulders , generally private unless it is for the view ( which means unless you ' re flying by in a helicopter should be private enough ) .
If need be , just draw the blinds on the entry side , those that have stayed will know what I am referring to .
The N'oi team has figured the necessary , just letting nature take its course too .

Think they are figuring how to reposition the TV . At least improve the unsightly situation . Should be made an option or perhaps no TV like at Puri unless on request .

The map posted by 5khours & quoted by you in #55 shows the numbers .
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halibahs
Originally Posted by halibahs
For some reason they couldn't remove the TV

Our pavilion is particularly private as there was a short path with steps leading up to it. I notice some of the pavilions, esp those facing the ocean on cliff side, are less private as they are quite close to the buggy path. The pavilion has floor to ceiling glass panes on most sides so it is easy to look inside sometimes
(as long as the TV is not mounted..)
any vegetation being grown to increase privacy? or talk of planting?
"quite close to the buggy path" - seems closest are nonpool 16, 10, 9, 20, 21

Originally Posted by aa213bb
We, too, were in#18
Originally Posted by aa213bb
No privacy rope (if naked in bathroom, potential to be seen by anyone walking up path)

No 4 or 14
posted map may have a 14, perhaps before a change

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 18, 2014 at 6:25 pm
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:38 pm

rooms vary within category, hence identifying which is which

posted map may have a 14, perhaps before a change
You can see from the map the pavilion facing & which have pools including the shape .
e.g. 2 & 5 ocean pool pavilions - very private ;
What you can ' t know is 5 has no steps leading to it
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

among ocean pool units, view etc varies >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post22716165

11 >
Originally Posted by bawatours
and - http://statigr.am/p/665623323594752727_173616311 (vegetation trimmed down?)
and 5 - http://statigr.am/p/725215598497416545_970176/
are least obstructed (so far)

and 17 and 18 (so far) have totally different view.

seems like 18 is the only one oriented to have bed facing ocean, and this means bathroom is facing ocean, and is right next to path, which is also different, although layouts still vary some, sounds like what FlyerEC was talking about earlier, especially how paths vary.

6 and some nonpool may also be oriented similar to 18, but with different paths.

seems like 18 and 5 are the ones with square pools

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
We ' d a wonderful stay in an ocean pool pavilion

table on the terrace is being changed so that it is at dining height
Our pool was more squarish
e.g. 2 & 5 ocean pool pavilions - very private ; What you can ' t know is 5 has no steps leading to it
Originally Posted by Musken
lake view pavilion with pool and asked for number 28 which has one of the larger private pools (did not see any others, but it was large) and a central location with walking distance to the main building. It was very private
that suggests ocean pool 2, 5, 6 should be walking distance as well
scale (but not elevation) - https://maps.google.com/maps?q=vietn...53610&t=h&z=17

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 13, 2014 at 5:50 pm
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:22 pm

would those who had ocean pool mind posting room numbers?
among ocean pool units, view etc varies
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22716165-post55.html

11 >

and - http://statigr.am/p/665623323594752727_173616311 (vegetation trimmed down?)

are least obstructed (so far) and 17 and 18 (so far) have totally different view

seems like 18 is the only one oriented to have bed facing ocean, and this means bathroom is facing ocean, and is right next to path, which is also different, although layouts still vary some, sounds like what FlyerEC was talking about earlier, especially how paths vary
6 and some nonpool may also be oriented similar to 18, but with different paths

seems like 18 and 5 are the ones with square pools

that suggests ocean pool 2, 5, 6 should be walking distance as well
scale (but not elevation) - https://maps.google.com/maps?q=vietn...53610&t=h&z=17
Elevation : ' steep ' even to main pavilion from nearby & cliff pool .
Yes , you are getting the picture
Angled sunrise from bed , pav 5

The N'oi team often walk . For the rest of us , it depends on how fit we are & how fit we want to get .. May take a looong time from main pavilion trudging to the beach club or to the spa - may need another massage after

All should have good , great views - just different : ocean , lake or mountain ..
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:32 am

All should have good , great views - just different : ocean , lake or mountain ..
Totally agree!!
The pavilions are quite spread out and nestled in such stunning landscape, I think view from each pavilion is different but all amazing, depending what one's preferences are. Better email the team ahead and let them decide as they know best
Another good thing about 18 is that it is perched on the highest point near the end of the cliff. We had a view of mountain faraway from our pool deck on one side and the gorgeous view of bay on the other.

Kage - Aman has actually done a really good job with landscaping and kept most of the original vegetation. As FlyerEC said, one could close the blinds over the entry side to prevent people from looking in. Of course we prefer to keep all the blinds open and let the natural light flood in
It seems like the TV was "fixed" into the cabinet down below with wires and fixings, making it quite difficult to remove. I will request in advance next time and see what happens.
Funny I don't remember having a TV at Puri.... perhaps it's on my profile?
Had a TV in room for Amanfayun during our first visit and then none for our return visit ^

Also glad that Groombridge's experience is taking an uphill turn! Susan and Bagi were really visible during our stay and always made sure everything is ok ^ During our stay, we saw a few family with kids but they are generally quite well behaved. Though one night at the main restaurant, one of the dads had a meltdown and yelled at her daughter asking her to put "the bl**dy ipad away"

Last edited by halibahs; Apr 18, 2014 at 3:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.