Trip report Vietnam: 4 nights Park Hyatt Saigon, 9 nights Amanoi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip report Vietnam: 4 nights Park Hyatt Saigon, 9 nights Amanoi

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by halibahs
Another good thing about 18 is that it is perched on the highest point near the end of the cliff. We had a view of mountain faraway from our pool deck on one side and the gorgeous view of bay on the other.
Agreed; I really enjoyed the setting of 18, and having poked about would highly recommend it … though I would include the caveat that if one books an Ocean View Pavilion, you get the views from the bath, but not the classic "standing in the pool overlooking the ocean".

It seems like the TV was "fixed" into the cabinet down below with wires and fixings, making it quite difficult to remove. I will request in advance next time and see what happens.
I did request in advance to have the TV removed. They apologized once there and said - at that point - removing them is not possible.

I hope, if we all keep commenting on it, this will soon be rectified.

Though one night at the main restaurant, one of the dads had a meltdown and yelled at her daughter asking her to put "the bl**dy ipad away"
Sounds like he, and not his daughter, ought to be banned from the "Quiet Pool"
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:32 pm
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Groombridge
Susan and Bagi have sorted all issues quickly and perfectly, so we are now really settling in to the terrific food, superb spa, and glorious topography of this unique place. I agree with londonjetsetter entirely that the Cliff Pool is an instant classic, and we have ensconced ourselves daily in the shaded nook there that Musken mentioned.
Great to hear that you were able to have this resolved on the spot! It does worry me however that we had the exact same issues with housekeeping you described in early January, so it seems that things haven't improved over almost four months. I know they are locals, untrained, etc., but how hard can it be to teach them "if a guest is in the room, don't come knocking"?

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
You can see from the map the pavilion facing & which have pools including the shape .
e.g. 2 & 5 ocean pool pavilions - very private ;
What you can ' t know is 5 has no steps leading to it
2 is very private and very close to the main pavilion, but I would not recommend it due to the odd location of the pool. You don't even see it from the room, because it's off to the left side. I'll post some pictures once back from Sri Lanka (housekeeping at Amangalla works perfectly by the way, even with very high occupancy during Easter)

Originally Posted by aa213bb
I did request in advance to have the TV removed. They apologized once there and said - at that point - removing them is not possible.
Interesting, as we had made the same request and the TV was removed quickly and without any discussions (it was actually removed twice, since the had removed it from the wrong one of the two pavilions we stayed in). It did give the pavilion a more open feel.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vienna-resident
early January

2 is very private and very close to the main pavilion, but I would not recommend it due to the odd location of the pool. You don't even see it from the room, because it's off to the left side. I'll post some pictures once back from Sri Lanka (housekeeping at Amangalla works perfectly by the way, even with very high occupancy during Easter)

TV was removed quickly and without any discussions (it was actually removed twice, since the had removed it from the wrong one of the two pavilions we stayed in
thanks! will be interesting to see view from 2.
very odd re TV.
"early january" - crowded after NYE?

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
& then it was build up to CNY & Tet !
re holidays http://www.amanresorts.com/amanoi/rates.aspx >
A minimum length of stay is required for the following periods:

four nights for 24 January - 9 February 2014, 13-27 April 2014, 13-22 February 2015 and 29 March - 12 April 2015
seven nights for 19 December 2014 - 8 January 2015.
CNY/Tết - jan 31 2014 and feb 19 2015 - interesting they shortened min stay period

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 23, 2014 at 8:45 am
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:08 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
thanks! will be interesting to see view from 2.
very odd re TV.
"early january" - crowded after NYE?
TV : think figuring out how best to solve ' problem ' . Let ' s put it this way , the architect & ID were the same for N'oi , so you can just imagine had certain ideas .
Perhaps they were ' testing ' how best earlier they could do it & wasn't that good yet so still working on it .

Yes , ' crowded ' & then it was build up to CNY & Tet !
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:43 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Regarding the TV: I heard, and also Vuittons wrote, that they are thinking about a solution like Amanruya for the TV. There is a low box/cupboard where the TV is hidden inside when you are not using it, and then you press a button and the TV comes up out of the box/cupboard and you can look.

You can see the box/cupboard in front of the bed at this picture:

I do not have a picture where the TV is up, but you get the point. It is low when not in use so that you can see the view. I think this would be a great solution, but of course it costs money, meaning they will not do it before they are sure that it is a real problem.

I can imagine that it is a bit complicated to move it since it is a fixed installation, not like other Amans where there is normally no TV and they rather bring one if you request it.

For our villa, where there was no view from the bed in that direction anyway, it was less of a problem to have it there. Only thing was that it is a TV to turn around and from the back it does not at all look nice.

Last edited by Musken; Apr 23, 2014 at 8:56 am
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Musken
Regarding the TV: I heard, and also Vuittons wrote, that they are thinking about a solution like Amanruya for the TV. There is a low box/cupboard where the TV is hidden inside when you are not using it, and then you press a button and the TV comes up out of the box/cupboard and you can look.

You can see the box/cupboard in front of the bed at this picture:

I do not have a picture where the TV is up, but you get the point. It is low when not in use so that you can see the view. I think this would be a great solution, but of course it costs money, meaning they will not do it before they are sure that it is a real problem.

I can imagine that it is a bit complicated to move it since it is a fixed installation, not like other Amans where there is normally no TV and they rather bring one if you request it.

For our villa, where there was no view from the bed in that direction anyway, it was less of a problem to have it there. Only thing was that it is a TV to turn around and from the back it does not at all look nice.
I don't know if you noticed, but the TVs at Amanoi turn on their base, so you can either have them facing the bed or the sofa. Having said that we never used ours and would have preferred not to have it.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:55 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
I don't know if you noticed, but the TVs at Amanoi turn on their base, so you can either have them facing the bed or the sofa. Having said that we never used ours and would have preferred not to have it.
Yes , pity the ID didn't do something like Ruya from the start .
Rather unsightly when one is facing the back , e.g. when one of us was watching in the sitting area & the other was in bed . Or walking past the back of it , just spoils the overall aesthetics .

We did have an ocean / sunrise view from our bed .

As I mentioned in some earlier post , various hiccups being rectified . Signage too .
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:21 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
I noticed, and I actually turned it dependent on where I was sitting just to avoid having to look at the back of it. Our son used it twice, but would not have missed it if it was not there.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 2:28 pm

Agreed. The back of the TV is particularly unattractive. I they insist on keeping them, they should do like Amanruya, or The Siam, which has a wood paneling on the back side of the set in order to hide the wiring. A thoughtful touch, IMO.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Musken
The Park Hyatt Siem Reap also has TVs in between the bed and the seating area. They're sitting on a cabinet and swivel to any position - the back and sides are encased in the same wood as the cabinet - probably teak from what I remember - means that there's no ugly back or side view of the TV. This could be a fairly cheap option to make them look better at Amanoi.
Old May 30, 2014, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Dont`t know if this is really the right thread...
Will stay in Saigon next year. After the Pictures I saw I`m not too impressed by Park Hyatt. I think about an Executive Suite at the Intercontinental, which looks nicer in my eyes. Anyone can compare the 2 hotels?
Old May 30, 2014, 4:33 am

We stayed in a junior suite at the IC - very comfortable, well equipped room and the Club Lounge is one of the best anywhere - full waiter/ess service - even has a full on cocktail bar a couple of evenings a week - you can still have cocktails on the other nights but not the full range. We had to stop ourselves eating the canapés as we wanted to go out sample the local cuisine. Very gracious staff. Can't compare it to the PH though as I haven't stayed there.

Last edited by quitecontrary; May 30, 2014 at 6:53 am
Old May 30, 2014, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
Dont`t know if this is really the right thread...
Will stay in Saigon next year. After the Pictures I saw I`m not too impressed by Park Hyatt. I think about an Executive Suite at the Intercontinental, which looks nicer in my eyes. Anyone can compare the 2 hotels?
We stayed there last year for 3nights. Suites and service was nice but we didn´t like the Design of the room. I think next time I wouldn´t stay there any more.
Old May 30, 2014, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by quitecontrary
We stayed in a junior suite at the IC - very comfortable, well equipped room and the Club Lounge is one of the best anywhere - full waiter/ess service - even has a full on cocktail bar a couple of evenings a week - you can still have cocktails on the other nights but not the full range. We had to stop ourselves eating the canapés as we wanted to go out sample the local cuisine. Very gracious staff. Can't compare it to the PH though as I haven't stayed there.
Sounds good, thank you!

@ landing: Thanks also. What exactly didn`t you like?
Old May 30, 2014, 9:29 am

Those awful pop-up TVs remind me of Orient Express Hotels - so 1980s and so non-Aman, but possibly so very Amanskova.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.