Wiki Posts
Search

Trip report Vietnam: 4 nights Park Hyatt Saigon, 9 nights Amanoi

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2014, 2:00 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 5khours
Thanks for the great TR. Glad we could catch up in HCMC and that you had a good trip to Amanoi.

Agree with you on the beach. I had rather expected that they would have done much more to improve the beaches. Specifically,
  • Regular cleanup to get rid of incoming floatsam.
  • Plant taller vegetation between the beach club pool and the beach
  • Make it easier to get to Beach 2 since it is much nicer for lounging and for kids (I was told they had planned to purchase Zodiac like boats).
  • Some sort of facilities for kayaking, snorkeling and light food and drink at Beach 3

Since the main beach is east facing it tends to be very bright and as you say could really use some umbrellas or maybe cabanas for shade especially in the morning and at mid-day. I tended to go there mid-afternoon when the lighting was nicer.

Also agree on the dining options, I switched a lot between the main restaurant and beach club. I think it would be nice to use the beach club as some kind of themed dining in the evenings.

Was the issue with the junior staff just language. I was at on my own at Amanoi so I ended up having a lot of long conversations with junior staff especially when having coffee at the cliff pool in the morning. I have to say though that I had spent enough time in VN so that it was easier for me to understand the accent and pronunciation. (On my first few trips to VN, I could hardly understand anything when Vietnamese were speaking English).

Were there many other guests at the resorts when you were there?

Thanks again for the TR.
I am sure that some of the things will still happen as it is still early days. Cabanas at main beach would be great. There were loungers and umbrellas there now, but not all of the loungers were fully horizontal as the beach is a bit to "steep" at some places.

For language, you are right that accent and pronunciation is an issue. This was the case with our guide. When we got used to her way of speaking, it was much easier to understand.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 2:39 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Musken
I am sure that some of the things will still happen as it is still early days. Cabanas at main beach would be great. There were loungers and umbrellas there now, but not all of the loungers were fully horizontal as the beach is a bit to "steep" at some places.
I'm going to try to go back in the next month or so and will let you know if they've made any improvements. I actually think it's a really beautiful beach but it does need some improvements.

For language, you are right that accent and pronunciation is an issue. This was the case with our guide. When we got used to her way of speaking, it was much easier to understand.
I had a really hard time with understanding my first few trips to VN even with people who spoke very good grammatical English.

Waiting for your next TR.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:25 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Wonderful report as always. Thank you, Musken.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:13 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Ericka
Wonderful report as always. Thank you, Musken.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Hello from Amanoi! My view is that this is already one of the very best Amans. Maybe the beaches at Amanpuri and Amanpulo are superior (although I still think they are beautiful and better than at other beach resorts such as Trisara), but this place is about more than just beaches. The setting here is absolutely spectacular and totally unique. Incredible panoramic views and flora and fauna that you would not expect to see in the tropics. Bright blue sky and relatively low humidity, so very comfortable, but very strong sun so be careful! The cliff pool is iconic. A bit like at hotel Caruso in Ravello, except not crowded and even more spectacular. Design of the pavilions and public areas is bold and contemporary, but still comfortable and user friendly.

Service is already very good with Susan, Bagi, Mungo and the rest of their fantastic team omnipresent. Everyone is trying very hard and language skills seem to have improved from earlier reports. Food is delicious and reasonably priced. Very hard to think of any criticisms at present. We feel completely relaxed after just a couple of days.

Last edited by Londonjetsetter; Mar 26, 2014 at 11:44 pm
Old Mar 27, 2014, 1:37 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
Hello from Amanoi! My view is that this is already one of the very best Amans. Maybe the beaches at Amanpuri and Amanpulo are superior (although I still think they are beautiful and better than at other beach resorts such as Trisara), but this place is about more than just beaches. The setting here is absolutely spectacular and totally unique. Incredible panoramic views and flora and fauna that you would not expect to see in the tropics. Bright blue sky and relatively low humidity, so very comfortable, but very strong sun so be careful! The cliff pool is iconic. A bit like at hotel Caruso in Ravello, except not crowded and even more spectacular. Design of the pavilions and public areas is bold and contemporary, but still comfortable and user friendly.

Service is already very good with Susan, Bagi, Mungo and the rest of their fantastic team omnipresent. Everyone is trying very hard and language skills seem to have improved from earlier reports. Food is delicious and reasonably priced. Very hard to think of any criticisms at present. We feel completely relaxed after just a couple of days.
So happy to hear that you are enjoying yourselves and that you love the resort. Say hello to everyone from me!

Agree that service is already very good. Language issues only came when we asked for someting special. Once we phoned to get ice cubes refilled in the villa and nobody seemed to understand what we wanted would be an example, but I also heard an American group asking for a very special smoothie to be made for breakfast, and that worked very well, so really no general issue. In addition: We are of course also not fluent in English and have accents, so maybe it was us, not them!

Landscape and flora/fauna are of course strongly related to preference. For me it looked actually a lot like home (Norway), just drier, and I prefer the typical tropical look. But beautiful it is without doubt.

Enjoy!
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Musken
So happy to hear that you are enjoying yourselves and that you love the resort. Say hello to everyone from me!

Agree that service is already very good. Language issues only came when we asked for someting special. Once we phoned to get ice cubes refilled in the villa and nobody seemed to understand what we wanted would be an example, but I also heard an American group asking for a very special smoothie to be made for breakfast, and that worked very well, so really no general issue. In addition: We are of course also not fluent in English and have accents, so maybe it was us, not them!

Landscape and flora/fauna are of course strongly related to preference. For me it looked actually a lot like home (Norway), just drier, and I prefer the typical tropical look. But beautiful it is without doubt.

Enjoy!
Musken everyone here has spoken very highly of you and your family! Apparently there was a day of rain after you left so everything now looks a lot greener.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:12 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Musken everyone here has spoken very highly of you and your family! Apparently there was a day of rain after you left so everything now looks a lot greener.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 9:09 am

My feeling exactly - Amano'i is truly special and with a great management team. I particularly love all the huge boulders that the resort was built around - quite unique. So pleased you are loving it. Try the Spa!!!
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:05 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Disappointed so far...

Housekeeping is 0 for 3 so far:
Last night we returned from dinner at 9 pm and had to call them to come.
This morning, our first after a long trip, we were awakened at 10:30 by a telephone call from housekeeping asking if they could come clean our room.
Tonight, housekeeping arrived while we were getting ready for dinner and asked if they could clean then.

The only telephones in our two pavilions that work are those in the toilets.

Air conditioning has broken down multiple times, all through the night, making it difficult to sleep in the very hot nights.

Flip-flops in the room, which they put put during turn down service instead of slippers, are grubby, clearly having been worn by others.

While the gorgeous Cliff Pool is marked as "adults only," there seems to be no attempt to ensure that.

So a rough start to our week here. Hoping things improve ...
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:24 am
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Groombridge
This morning, our first after a long trip, we were awakened at 10:30 by a telephone call from housekeeping asking if they could come clean our room.
Tonight, housekeeping arrived while we were getting ready for dinner and asked if they could clean then.

Air conditioning has broken down multiple times, all through the night, making it difficult to sleep in the very hot nights.

Flip-flops in the room, which they put put during turn down service instead of slippers, are grubby, clearly having been worn by others.

While the gorgeous Cliff Pool is marked as "adults only," there seems to be no attempt to ensure that.

This is all very troubling to me (especially the part about the A/C and the Adults Only pool that isn't). I'm am very curious to know if things improve. I have a visit planned for late May and if you have a consistently disappointing stay, I may have to reconsider that.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:58 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Very sorry to hear about your first experiences. I hope it is getting better from now on. I assume you have made management aware.

Regarding cliff pool: We were never informed that the cliff pool was supposed to be adult only. It is written nowhere at the Internet site and nobody told us when we went there. Only one of the last days I read the information in the room where I saw that it was written and then I just ignored it. If they intend to keep this an adult only pool, they should make sure to make everyone aware of this before arrival. I would have been very disappointed if somebody told me this only after arrival. Or maybe they define adult as above 10 years old which is the age of our son.... My point is: such things should be communicated clearly to avoid disappointments for adults and for families. Once communicated the rules should be followed.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Groombridge

I'm really surprised by this - we didn't have any problems with housekeeping or aircon and we were always on our own at the cliff pool.

Hope things improve for you!
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:18 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Oh dear , very disturbing about housekeeping , etc . You have to let the management know ASAP if you haven ' t - you won ' t be the first as others have already given them feedback especially the Amanjunkies who have already stayed .
They messed up too when we were there but seemed to improve after we told management what happened .

Our pavilion phones ( including the emergency one ) also gave trouble & I resorted to emailing a few of them , just as well wifi was ok then . The problem was thankfully resolved speedily during our stay.

There were various hiccups which were going to be sorted out .
It ' s still within my one year time frame from opening , so teething problems are to be expected . Perhaps even more so in this rather remote national park .
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:26 am
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
It ' s still within my one year time frame from opening , so teething problems are to be expected . Perhaps even more so in this rather remote national park .
This doesn't really fly with me given the rates that they are charging. If they were still offering some kind of 'opening special' rates, that would be one thing. As of May 1st, they are charging full rates and full rates = full Aman service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.