Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amanpulo (Philippines) and other South Pacific weather tips

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by onlysuites
In the past has it been hit by any major hurricanes?
Yes. About 3-4 years ago in mid November.

And it was just evacuated this last Xmas.

We have been in October 3 times for maybe 25 or 30 days total. Had maybe 3 full days of rain and nothing bigger than that.

I think ant time before mid January is a bit of a gamble in a strict sense but really not very risky at all. Just my $0.02.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ridefar

We have been in October 3 times for maybe 25 or 30 days total. Had maybe 3 full days of rain and nothing bigger than that.

I think ant time before mid January is a bit of a gamble in a strict sense but really not very risky at all. Just my $0.02.
Thank you. ^
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
You normally handle this with travel insurance.
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I agree that travel insurance is essential
ive not found any travel insurance where fine print seemed acceptable to me. havent found any great discussion on FT or elsewhere either.

did they? how?

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Having planned the entire holiday around spending Christmas Day on Amanpulo, we have just been told that due to typhoon Nock-ten coming, they are recommending that we leave on the morning of the 25th in order to avoid being unable to fly into Manila on the 26th, as was originally planned. Seeing that we were told 2 days ago that a storm may be coming, I'm really unsure why they left it so late to tell us, as given the choice I would have flown out tonight and headed somewhere else.

There are no planes available to take us off the island now, so there's even a good chance we could get to Manila tomorrow and be stuck there. Of course the weather is not their fault, but I feel the way they've communicated it is particularly poor and they really didn't think it through properly as to how our flights and departure would fit in with their own organisation, even though they knew all this information months in advance. Their initial response was also to book us in The Peninsula Manila and bill for it, even though that area is likely going to be effected and could mean we're saying the night there and unable to fly out on the 26th. I have no desire to spend Christmas Day in The Pen, especially as if they mentioned it just an hour earlier I could have flown anywhere else in SE Asia. I'm currently trying to leave Amanpulo tomorrow morning and fly straight to Hong Kong, as their only alternative option is "hope it will be ok", which isn't something I'm fond of trying.
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
The problem is that we already had plans for the 26th, so couldn't take the risk of being stuck there. We decided to leave earlier this morning. Obviously no issues with Aman regarding us having to leave, as that is down to the weather, but I'm definitely annoyed that they left it to the point of telling us where the only option was to do what we had to do. I've had better Christmas' than getting up at 6am and spending the day traveling.
speaking of owner of amanpulo, they did not operate extra flights?
(because they own/operate the aviation compay that amanpulo uses)

perhaps new GM a factor. but curious what villa owners/guests did.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 24, 2017 at 11:48 am
Old Jan 26, 2017, 12:52 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
I think most on here are probably aware to book through the right channels, but Amanpulo told me recently they've had a bizarre string of recent bookings from people who thought they had purchased a discounted voucher.

See this on their Facebook page - just thought I'd repost:
We have recently become aware of unauthorised parties claiming to be able to book rooms at Amanpulo on behalf of others at a discounted rate.
These parties typically issue fake Amanpulo vouchers to be used for the bookings. Please be aware that these fraudulent parties are not at all associated with Amanpulo and that guests booking through such unauthorised brokers do so at their own risk.
To avoid any problem with your booking, we encourage you to book directly with our hotel or through accredited trade partners to ensure that your booking is valid and to enjoy the best available rates.
We look forward to assisting you in planning your next vacation at Amanpulo.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
I think most on here are probably aware to book through the right channels, but Amanpulo told me recently they've had a bizarre string of recent bookings from people who thought they had purchased a discounted voucher.

See this on their Facebook page - just thought I'd repost:
^
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Gold

I'm going to Amanpulo for 8 nights late November to early December. Hopefully the dry season should be well underway by then.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:37 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
I'm going to Amanpulo for 8 nights late November to early December. Hopefully the dry season should be well underway by then.
Should be dry....and windy.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Ericka
Is it windy as in being sand blasted when lying on the beach?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: CX DM
We were there same time in 2015. Weather was fabulous. And not windy at all.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:17 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Clicked / touched wrong area before finishing post .
Sorry , please see next one
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:18 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Is it windy as in being sand blasted when lying on the beach?
Originally Posted by Altocumulus
We were there same time in 2015. Weather was fabulous. And not windy at all.
Originally Posted by Ericka
Have a splendid time
At least one of our stays was end November into early December .
Lovely cool time .
Think best times to visit are between November and January , for us anyway .
Just pray no typhoons , weather patterns have changed
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: Mabuhay Miles, Skypass, Eva Air, KrisFlyer
Summer is usually March-May, right now its terribly hot, no rain
June is when the typhoon season starts but it seems to start later the past few years, so July onwards.

November is usually when the winds change, the Habagat season ends, but November/December in Palawan may still be windy and cloudy.

Typhoon unfortunately are now happening a lot around November-December, you cant plan for them, best you get is a 5-7 days notice that it may or may not hit the island once they predict the paths.

Because of Haiyan in 2013 they probably want to take less chances now with guests.
Old May 11, 2017, 1:18 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Palawan travel alert

So a series of travel advisories, including by the US, have been issued re: Palawan as a result of potential kidnappings planned by Abu Sayyaf in the region.
http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-...palawan-island
http://www.tnp.sg/news/world/us-warn...elling-palawan

Got in touch with my Aman rep, who sent me the below, as well as a revised travel advisory by the Department of Tourism MIMAROPA (where Amanpulo is).

Kindly be advised that our top priorities are the safety and security of our guests, staff and the residents of the local community. We hold a 7km exclusion zone (sea and sky) around Pamalican island. Anything that passes into this area is intercepted by our security force.

All arrivals to and departures from the island are closely monitored by the resort’s trained and equipped security guard force from a prominent international security provider. They are capable of early detection/identification and quick reaction that ensure utmost guest safety. Even small boats that come near the exclusion zone (1.4 nautical miles from shore) around the island are warded off. Furthermore, the island's natural features, such as its reefs and shores as well as natural forest growths, provide for natural barriers against external threats.

At this moment we are heightening our safety and security with recreational sea activities outside the island. This is an additional precautionary measure due to reports of an increase in activity of terrorist group.
Attached Images  
Old May 11, 2017, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
So a series of travel advisories, including by the US, have been issued re: Palawan as a result of potential kidnappings planned by Abu Sayyaf in the region.
http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-...palawan-island
http://www.tnp.sg/news/world/us-warn...elling-palawan

Got in touch with my Aman rep, who sent me the below, as well as a revised travel advisory by the Department of Tourism MIMAROPA (where Amanpulo is).
Not sure what to think about this.
Old May 11, 2017, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Not sure what to think about this.
I've booked for Chrismukkah 2017 and between the weather and the terrorist warnings above, I am no longer sure I made the right choice anymore .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.