Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amanpulo (Philippines) and other South Pacific weather tips

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Big Mac
Great!!! Will have a nice LITTLE stroll tomorrow followed by breakfast...

Btw, can I leave the doors in my cassita unlocked (I mean is it safe?). I wouldn't want to walk with that humongous turtle ++...

Also, how do I keep all that sand out of the cassita?
We have never bothered to lock the door at our casita. If you feel some concern, you could put your wallet or passport in the safe at the casita, but we have never even bothered with that. I can't conceive of theft ever being a problem there; I didnt worry at all even with the 350+ contractors on the island doing renovations on casitas 16-29 and construction of 2 or 3 new villas. (Then again, if we hadnt been told they were there, we wouldnt have even know they were, they are that invisible.)
Old Oct 25, 2013, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

cant one drive down villa 'road' to get closer to south?

Shark's Point Sala is indeed off map
as is Children's Playground, but that i presume is a function of casita renovations
is the Kid's Club in the former West Villa Bunkhouse?

ive heard amanpulo has actual security

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 25, 2013 at 9:21 am
Old Oct 25, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

as is Children's Playground, but that i presume is a function of casita renovations

cant one drive down villa road to get closer to south?
I *think* the security is to keep people off the island that dont belong there. If they patrol the island itself, they are also pretty invisible.

At the moment you can't drive down the road past the beach club--it is closed. That should change in the next week or two when construction wraps up.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

talking about villa road, since villas are open, past hillside/treetop casitas.

Originally Posted by Musken
Kid's Club was in a little house close to the runway
waiting louge for the departure flights...is in that house as well
combining that information with map changes, seems like it was moved (though possibly only during construction?)

apr 2013 map labeled Kid's Club >

dec 2010 map no label >

original map labeled WV-Bunkhouse (West Villa) >

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 25, 2013 at 10:56 am
Old Oct 25, 2013, 10:39 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
cant one drive down villa 'road' to get closer to south?

When we were there, the Kid's Club was in a little house close to the runway. The waiting louge for the departure flights (if needed at all, must be if it is raining), is in that house as well.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 10:42 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Great!!! Will have a nice LITTLE stroll tomorrow followed by breakfast...

Btw, can I leave the doors in my cassita unlocked (I mean is it safe?). I wouldn't want to walk with that humongous turtle ++...

Also, how do I keep all that sand out of the cassita?
If you planned to have breakfast that and got that confirmed, they must have rebuilt something there. If not possible to have breakfast, it is still a nice walk.

We always lock doors just out of habit, but I would not think it was really necessary there.

Sand out of casitas is a matter of washing feet etc before entering. There is a little bucket with water outside, I think. Or just ask for one. If it is too sandy inside, just call them and they will clean in between. Did that for us many times, even without us asking for it.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 4:11 am

If you planned to have breakfast that and got that confirmed, they must have rebuilt something there. If not possible to have breakfast, it is still a nice walk.

We always lock doors just out of habit, but I would not think it was really necessary there.

Sand out of casitas is a matter of washing feet etc before entering. There is a little bucket with water outside, I think. Or just ask for one. If it is too sandy inside, just call them and they will clean in between. Did that for us many times, even without us asking for it.
Sorry, I meant going to the south end and then having breakfast in one of the restaurants.

I went to the south end and there is absolutely nothing there. It's actually quite dirty there, especially the east side (actually the whole east side is a little dirty). And there seems to be erosion there...

Ahhh, so that's what the bucket is for... Hahaha...

Unfortunately it rained today...

Used the mountain bike today, except when it rained and I had to go to the spa. But the mountain bike is actually quite fun!!!
Old Oct 26, 2013, 4:16 am

Talking

Originally Posted by ridefar
We have never bothered to lock the door at our casita. If you feel some concern, you could put your wallet or passport in the safe at the casita, but we have never even bothered with that. I can't conceive of theft ever being a problem there; I didnt worry at all even with the 350+ contractors on the island doing renovations on casitas 16-29 and construction of 2 or 3 new villas. (Then again, if we hadnt been told they were there, we wouldnt have even know they were, they are that invisible.)
Yes, I put my wallet/money/passport/valuables in the safe and haven't locked my door (except at night).

Actually, I did see contractors/builders (around 30-40) mashed in the bed of a huge pickup truck yesterday.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 6:41 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Sorry, I meant going to the south end and then having breakfast in one of the restaurants.

I went to the south end and there is absolutely nothing there. It's actually quite dirty there, especially the east side (actually the whole east side is a little dirty). And there seems to be erosion there...

Ahhh, so that's what the bucket is for... Hahaha...

Unfortunately it rained today...

Used the mountain bike today, except when it rained and I had to go to the spa. But the mountain bike is actually quite fun!!!
OK. I thought you meant having a special breakfast in the bale that used to be there.

I would not call it dirty there, just natural. Having seen completely "wild Paradise islands", it is definitely true that they do not look as nice as one would hope. Wild growing jungle, dirt being brought ashore from the sea etc. I am pretty sure that they clean all of Pamalican island where Amanpulo is regularly, just they clean the main beach in front of the casitas and the beach club more often. I loved walking the beach at the more remote parts of Amanpulo even if it was less perfect there as the rest of the island. Adds to the atmosphere in my view. Also love that there is nothing there as you said. Just the wind, the sea and the quiet beach with palm trees. Nothing like that in the Maldives as the islands there are much smaller and often completely developed with roads and buildings and no wild, "undiscovered" parts to go to.

Good to help in clearing up what the water is for ;-)

Hope that the rain is gone soon! Go for a massage in the mean time. ^
Old Oct 26, 2013, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it rained and I had to go to the spa
great quote

Good to help in clearing up what the water is for ;-)

Hope that the rain is gone soon! Go for a massage in the mean time. ^
Old Oct 27, 2013, 7:20 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

This thread is helpful, since I'd been planning to go next November, but will now look for some other time. Is there consensus on the best months to visit Amanpulo for low likelihood of rain AND low wind?
Old Oct 27, 2013, 5:56 pm

We've had perfect weather over Christmas/new Year - strong winds on the lagoon side of the island which has been heaven for my husband who spends half his day sailing or windsurfing or kitesurfing over there, and then a light breeze on the beach club side which makes for a perfect sunbathing temperature!
Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:34 am

It seems difficult to find the right good season: August is rainy, December is windy, May seems fine. Only May? :P
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:12 am
Aman Contributor Badge

We went i March two years ago and did not see a cloud during our 12 nights stay. Wind was just a comfortable breeze.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:27 pm

I really don't consider the December wind an issue - it's a light breeze on the beach club side of the island (without it i would find it too hot to sit out) and a decent breeze on the other side of the island (so great for watersports, and even more comfortable to sit in if you feel the heat - i often choose to go and sunbath on that side as I found it more comfortable).

We usually go over Christmas and New Year and have had what i consider to be perfect weather each time, and have also been in February which was also beautiful and very similar to December. I have already booked for next year and it will be another February trip on that occasion. I believe that any time Dec - May is good, though I believe temperatures slowly increase through that time frame so not sure how hot and humid it gets just before the rainy season starts in May.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.