FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amanpulo (Philippines) and other South Pacific weather tips
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:11 am
Kagehitokiri
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
You normally handle this with travel insurance.
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I agree that travel insurance is essential
ive not found any travel insurance where fine print seemed acceptable to me. havent found any great discussion on FT or elsewhere either.

Originally Posted by ridefar
And it was just evacuated this last Xmas.
did they? how?

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Having planned the entire holiday around spending Christmas Day on Amanpulo, we have just been told that due to typhoon Nock-ten coming, they are recommending that we leave on the morning of the 25th in order to avoid being unable to fly into Manila on the 26th, as was originally planned. Seeing that we were told 2 days ago that a storm may be coming, I'm really unsure why they left it so late to tell us, as given the choice I would have flown out tonight and headed somewhere else.

There are no planes available to take us off the island now, so there's even a good chance we could get to Manila tomorrow and be stuck there. Of course the weather is not their fault, but I feel the way they've communicated it is particularly poor and they really didn't think it through properly as to how our flights and departure would fit in with their own organisation, even though they knew all this information months in advance. Their initial response was also to book us in The Peninsula Manila and bill for it, even though that area is likely going to be effected and could mean we're saying the night there and unable to fly out on the 26th. I have no desire to spend Christmas Day in The Pen, especially as if they mentioned it just an hour earlier I could have flown anywhere else in SE Asia. I'm currently trying to leave Amanpulo tomorrow morning and fly straight to Hong Kong, as their only alternative option is "hope it will be ok", which isn't something I'm fond of trying.
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
The problem is that we already had plans for the 26th, so couldn't take the risk of being stuck there. We decided to leave earlier this morning. Obviously no issues with Aman regarding us having to leave, as that is down to the weather, but I'm definitely annoyed that they left it to the point of telling us where the only option was to do what we had to do. I've had better Christmas' than getting up at 6am and spending the day traveling.
speaking of owner of amanpulo, they did not operate extra flights?
(because they own/operate the aviation compay that amanpulo uses)

perhaps new GM a factor. but curious what villa owners/guests did.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 24, 2017 at 11:48 am