FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Amanpulo (Philippines) and other South Pacific weather tips (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1515311-amanpulo-philippines-other-south-pacific-weather-tips.html)

TravelCrazy1 Oct 24, 2013 1:39 am

Amanpulo (Philippines) and other South Pacific weather tips

Hey everyone, we are deciding wether to stay at amanpulo either late November to earl December or from the mid November to approximately the 22nd. any tips on weather at this time of the year would be greatly appreciated. Although it is the dry season we are worried it may be very windy or cold.

Ericka Oct 24, 2013 5:19 am

Our first trip to Amanpulo was during the first week of December. It is very very windy that time of year....so much that is kind of closes down one whole side of the island. Some of the activities are restricted, too. The sand can really whip up during beach picnics and bbqs. The breeze certainly keeps things cool, though. Just be prepared for the wind. Weather is dry and sunny.

Cheetah_SA Oct 24, 2013 7:36 am

That wind is pretty relentless. We had it all the time we were there - although that was late Dec and early Jan.

Of course that may be a plus if you are an avid kite surfer! :)

xracer Oct 24, 2013 8:57 am

I don't mean to hijack this, but I also have a weather question. If one could only go to Amanpulo in either late May or early June, is the weather so much better in May that it warrants going then and paying the high season rates (note, low season rates kick in on June 1st)?

lb8001 Oct 24, 2013 3:01 pm

Xracer, I went in early June and had more rain than sun. I still could dive every day and do indoor things but only one sunny day out of five. Obviously, weather is unpredictable and ymmv, but that was my early June experience

xracer Oct 24, 2013 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by lb8001 (Post 21663272)
Xracer, I went in early June and had more rain than sun. I still could dive every day and do indoor things but only one sunny day out of five. Obviously, weather is unpredictable and ymmv, but that was my early June experience

One sunny day out of five is clearly not good! I guess there is a good reason that the rates go down in June. My hunch is that the weather in late May would be similar. Thanks for the feedback.

TravelCrazy1 Oct 24, 2013 5:11 pm

Thanks for the reply everyone,
You have helped me a lot. It confuses me of why amanpulo is still so busy during the Christmas period, regardless of the poor weather.

Larkin Oct 24, 2013 10:44 pm

We went twice - several years ago, and in 2001 - both times in late Dec and early January and had good weather. A bit cloudy on occasion ( for a couple of hours a day), no rain, windy on the back side of the island but calm on the main beach. Definately too windy to enjoy back side and beach but it did not bother us as we went diving almost every day, did a couple if boat excursions, and enjoyed the main beach.

Big Mac Oct 25, 2013 1:45 am

Weather today was perfect! Not windy at all... :)

Also, does anyone know where on the island this is:
http://www.amanresorts.com/uploadedI...loBeach_hp.jpg

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Larkin (Post 21665267)
and enjoyed the main beach.

Larkin, what's the difference between the beach in front of your casitas (if you had one) and the main beach?

Musken Oct 25, 2013 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Big Mac (Post 21665715)
Weather today was perfect! Not windy at all... :)

Also, does anyone know where on the island this is:
http://www.amanresorts.com/uploadedI...loBeach_hp.jpg

Thanks!

Larkin, what's the difference between the beach in front of your casitas (if you had one) and the main beach?

I am pretty sure that the pictures is close to the south-eastern end of the island, past casita 29 and the picnic cove and also past where the new beach villa(s??) will be built. It is possible to have breakfast or picnic in the little hut that you see on the picture.

Big Mac Oct 25, 2013 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Musken (Post 21665780)
I am pretty sure that the pictures is close to the south-eastern end of the island, past casita 29 and the picnic cove and also past where the new beach villa(s??) will be built. It is possible to have breakfast or picnic in the little hut that you see on the picture.

Thanks!
It seems 9am is low tide so that's supposed to be the best time to be there.
The problem is, you have to park at the Lagoon Club and walk all the way over there (a third of the island). So it could be quite a walk...

Musken Oct 25, 2013 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Big Mac (Post 21666061)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Musken

Thanks!
It seems 9am is low tide so that's supposed to be the best time to be there.
The problem is, you have to park at the Lagoon Club and walk all the way over there (a third of the island). So it could be quite a walk...

It is not at all far. Just a nice little stroll. Walk close to sea where the sand is compact.

Big Mac Oct 25, 2013 5:06 am

Originally Posted by Musken (Post 21666132)
It is not at all far. Just a nice little stroll. Walk close to sea where the sand is compact.

Great!!! Will have a nice LITTLE stroll tomorrow followed by breakfast...

Btw, can I leave the doors in my cassita unlocked (I mean is it safe?). I wouldn't want to walk with that humongous turtle ++...

Also, how do I keep all that sand out of the cassita? :rolleyes:

FlyerEC Oct 25, 2013 5:08 am

Check if it's still there or rebuilt ( after the typhoons ) , pleasant shoreline/ waterline stroll anyway. :)

Fine last Nov/ Dec when we were there ..

ridefar Oct 25, 2013 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Musken (Post 21665780)

It was and it is gone. :(

We just returned from 10 days there (flawless weather, btw). The sala that was at the southern end of the island--Shark Point--was lost in a storm 14 months ago and is no longer there. There has been some pretty significant changes to the shape of the island due to erosion down there. Nothing out right bad, it is just different, and really surprised me how much it has changed in the last 2 years. There was lots of work going on on the north and east part of the island by the runway to prevent damage there. If the south tip moves east or west 10 or 20 m that is fine; if the north end does that is not so much so as it could cost them one runway!