Reload this Page >

Gallivanters's Ultimate Hotel Guide 7th Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gallivanters's Ultimate Hotel Guide 7th Edition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2013, 5:52 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by mecabq
...I had what must be called the normal experience at the Four Seasons Hong Kong, and found it nothing exemplary given the price.....
I think many of us get the normal experience on our travels even at supposed legendary hotels. - I still find concierges rarely go beyond providing me with a map and circle in where I should go with a pen, 24 butler service that rarely goes beyond "I'm your butler see you when you check out". General Manager's of hotels never seem to bother trying to meet me, which is actually fine because I'm not bothered about meeting them, in the same way I'm not that bothered about meeting the manager of my local cinema or train station - unless there is a problem.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 6:01 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
I think many of us get the normal experience on our travels even at supposed legendary hotels. - I still find concierges rarely go beyond providing me with a map and circle in where I should go with a pen, 24 butler service that rarely goes beyond "I'm your butler see you when you check out". General Manager's of hotels never seem to bother trying to meet me, which is actually fine because I'm not bothered about meeting them, in the same way I'm not that bothered about meeting the manager of my local cinema or train station - unless there is a problem.
I totally agree. I guess I am about as low-maintenance a guest as it comes (except when I am with my partner ). A lot of posters here seem to revel in name-dropping every experience they have had with a GM, but that goes with the territory of being a GM at a luxury hotel. I would certainly expect them to solve problems when they arise, although my first contact is always with the front desk if the need arises.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pausanias
valuable and entertaining thing to have. Unlike many guides, Ms Middlehurst writes well and she still manages to convince me of her impartiality. And David Maslin's photos are quite excellent.

I don't think Ms Middlehurst herself is frightened of the world
organic essential oil...Alkaline Water, PH 8.5, to benefit my health and minimise free radicals
Sorry, I thought people might have a sense of fun, humour and irony on this site
one joke about mentioning organic products.

Originally Posted by damaxer91
I bought it and think its real nice.

Only thing that gets on my nerves is the fact that she has to mention in every other paragraph that she doesn't like Spa's that use chemicals in their products
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
posters with questionable levels of travel experience
that applies to only one poster.

some here started reading gallivanters before this forum (and many other potential sources) existed.

Originally Posted by paul2
over the years...emails (as a subscriber) she has guided me to getting the same level of attention that she gets at many of the worlds finest hotels.

I still have my first edition of The Ultimate Hotel Guide and I smile as I recall flicking through it when I was a teenager organising big family holidays and all the memories come flooding back.

assistance via email of Lyn.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 29, 2013 at 9:38 am
Old Aug 24, 2013, 4:15 pm

She has exquisite taste, and most often I agree with everything she writes.
And this is completely subjective. Everyone's taste is different, even among luxury hotel customers and fans.

Which leads to this next statement.
I have been upset by some of the comments in this thread, which in my view seem to be emanating from posters with questionable levels of travel experience, and have been in very bad taste.
Firstly, I think getting upset over an internet message board comment is a bit much. But the main point is that disagreeing with someone's view is not a basis to be upset or attempt to demean others opinion by insinuating they aren't as well traveled as you.

Originally Posted by mecabq

nor do I care for posters here implying that anyone who doesn't worship "Lyn" (whom I unfortunately do not know on a first-name basis) is somehow not a sophisticated traveler.
Exactly.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 4:48 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, we're beginning to rehash old arguments here, so I think the discussion has run its course. I am going to close this thread.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels

P.S. Law of unintended consequences: All this discussion, pro and con, finally piqued my curiosity, so I just bought one.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Aug 25, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.