Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Choices in Frankfurt

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2022, 6:53 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Well, a good question. RF Villa Kennedy will close for sure and be transferred to non-hotel use by its owner. We will be left with Sofitel Opera, Jumeirah, Frankfurter Hof and Kempinski Gravenbruch. Maybe Sofitel which is sporting the highest room rates but haven't stayed there yet. Overall nothing too appealing IMHO.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Probably Sofitel or Frankfurter Hof in town. Outside of town Gravenbruch or Kronberg.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ngfan
Well, a good question. RF Villa Kennedy will close for sure and be transferred to non-hotel use by its owner. We will be left with Sofitel Opera, Jumeirah, Frankfurter Hof and Kempinski Gravenbruch. Maybe Sofitel which is sporting the highest room rates but haven't stayed there yet. Overall nothing too appealing IMHO.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Probably Sofitel or Frankfurter Hof in town. Outside of town Gravenbruch or Kronberg.
Thank you both!
Old Jan 30, 2022, 1:58 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by MarkP24
With the Villa Kennedy expected to close, what does everyone recommend for a 5 star holiday in Frankfurt?
The Sofitel. See some pictures of my last stay, which is three years ago, but it was new, and no changes that I am aware of. Bar and Restaurant Schönemann to be recommended. Location most central at Alte Oper, and very stylish. Local businessmen meet there. You have to pay 350 (plus breakfast) in these days. I checked it two weeks ago and decided for the Hilton (200, incl. comp breakfast for Gld/Dia), as I needed a central location and was not willing to pay the Sofitel rate for a business stay. When in Frankfurt region I used to stay often in nearby Wiesbaden (30 mins) at Nassauer Hof (LHW), but I am with car usually.

Last edited by submonte; Jan 30, 2022 at 2:42 pm
Old Jan 30, 2022, 8:31 pm

Wow! dd not know the Villa Kennedy is closing! so sad. Have great memories there of a father and son trip when we went to Germany to pick up a car! Will miss that place

Last edited by off2rome; Jan 31, 2022 at 4:02 pm
Old Jan 31, 2022, 3:15 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by off2rome
Wow! dd not know the Villa Kennedy is closing! so sad. Have great me fries there of a father and son trip when we went to Germany to pick up a car! Will miss that place
RF does not exclude to return to FFM in future but no plans made yet.

https://www.journal-frankfurt.de/jou...en-38630.html#

https://www-journal--frankfurt-de.tr...x_tr_pto=wapp#
Old Feb 28, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Bang! Next luxe brand is leaving Frankfurt, Jumeirah it is. Per April 1, 2022 the hotel will turn into a JW Marriott. They will do renovations during continuing operation, rooms first followed by public spaces within a 12 months timeframe.

https://www.faz.net/aktuell/rhein-ma...-17840450.html
Old Feb 28, 2022, 11:35 am
Suspended

Bang! Next luxe brand is leaving Frankfurt, Jumeirah it is. Per April 1, 2022 the hotel will turn into a JW Marriott. They will do renovations during continuing operation, rooms first followed by public spaces within a 12 months timeframe.

Not surprised. It never really worked. The article is incorrect in that there is already a JWM in Germany, the former Maritim.
offerendum likes this.

Last edited by LondonElite; Feb 28, 2022 at 12:31 pm
Old Feb 28, 2022, 12:06 pm

Not a huge loss to be honest, as this Jumeirah was lacklustre. I was very surprised José Silva was content with their status quo, so this does make a lot of sense to part ways. Obviously the owner wants to make money and rates in Frankfurt do not really support such a hotel.
offerendum and luxefarer like this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 12:40 pm

Frankfurt seems to be a though luxury market. Stayed in the Jumeirah a few times and it was a nice experience in their junior suites, though hardware was tired and bland at times. I loved the breakfast space and offering, service was hit and miss however. JW Marriott will surely not be any kind of improvement.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by view
Frankfurt seems to be a though luxury market. Stayed in the Jumeirah a few times and it was a nice experience in their junior suites, though hardware was tired and bland at times. I loved the breakfast space and offering, service was hit and miss however. JW Marriott will surely not be any kind of improvement.
Frankfurt is a three, maximum four night city. From Fridays to Mondays hotels are basically empty. There is little leisure traffic so the numbers tend not to add up.
view likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 10:58 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, AMAN, FS PP, RW Elite, MO Fanclub, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Peninsula PC, Hyatt Privé
Originally Posted by scented
Not a huge loss to be honest, as this Jumeirah was lacklustre. I was very surprised José Silva was content with their status quo, so this does make a lot of sense to part ways. Obviously the owner wants to make money and rates in Frankfurt do not really support such a hotel.
Slept in Frankfurt for a day in 2018 (in-between travels to Jordan). Jumeirah. I was hell bent on viewing ‘Jil Sander: Present Tense’ exhibition at Museum Angewandte Kunst and this influenced the decision to stay overnight. Til then, I don’t remember ever having a tourist interest in the city... my impressions of the city were limited to the terminals of FRA airport and Senator lounge.

My oversimplified take on Frankfurt... a small financial airport city, duty free shopping (stocked up on Rimowa) and some neat museums. Once you’ve done that, you’ve done it all (again oversimplifying). 2-3 days max. Hotels seem to cater to the revolving door of corporate suits rather than the luxe traveler.

Oh right ... but what about Jumeirah? Won’t bore you with description, the hotel experience was indeed lacklustre as scented stated, but I’ll add, ‘functional’ too

I’ve since repressed the memory in the way one does when they stay at an airport hotel.

But the question remains, who does it best in Frankfurt?
scented likes this.

Last edited by luxefarer; Feb 28, 2022 at 11:03 pm
Old Mar 1, 2022, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by luxefarer
Slept in Frankfurt for a day in 2018 (in-between travels to Jordan). Jumeirah. I was hell bent on viewing ‘Jil Sander: Present Tense’ exhibition at Museum Angewandte Kunst and this influenced the decision to stay overnight. Til then, I don’t remember ever having a tourist interest in the city... my impressions of the city were limited to the terminals of FRA airport and Senator lounge.

My oversimplified take on Frankfurt... a small financial airport city, duty free shopping (stocked up on Rimowa) and some neat museums. Once you’ve done that, you’ve done it all (again oversimplifying). 2-3 days max. Hotels seem to cater to the revolving door of corporate suits rather than the luxe traveler.

Oh right ... but what about Jumeirah? Won’t bore you with description, the hotel experience was indeed lacklustre as scented stated, but I’ll add, ‘functional’ too

I’ve since repressed the memory in the way one does when they stay at an airport hotel.

But the question remains, who does it best in Frankfurt?
Spot on... this is such an excellent summary. From a leisure perspective I tend to say Frankfurt is in "go if you must" section these days, so it's invariably a compromise. A stopover while connecting on LH might be enough or best stay at the very comfortable First terminal.

There is Frankfurter Hof, a Steigenberger Hotel -- it might be considered 5*, but certainly not luxury and enjoys a solid reputation in Germany. Though million miles away from any luxury experience on an International level (it's a Steigenberger - basically a German Hilton ).

Jumeirah Frankfurt started off well but then deteriorated rather quickly.
luxefarer likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:18 am
Suspended

The best in Frankfurt now is probably the Sofitel.
scented and luxefarer like this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
What's real high end luxury in Germany today? Perhaps MO Munich, Brenners Baden-Baden and Schloss Elmau? Maybe Fontenay? Can't think of much more.

When it comes to Frankfurt I think Jumeirah isn't a loss. Terrible hotel.

P.S. In former times (long ago) Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof as well as Graf Zeppelin Stuttgart were one of the best in Germany like some Kempinski hotels.
luxefarer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.