Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Choices in Frankfurt

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2023, 12:54 pm

Programs: all of 'em.
Originally Posted by deer
"Artists who have performed or will be performing at Schloss Elmau include the Amadeus Quartet, Martha Argerich, Avi Avital, Julian Barnes, Lisa Batiashvili, T.C. Boyle, Alfred Brendel, Benjamin Britten, Till Brönner, Yefim Bronfman, Khatia Buniatishvili, John Burnside, Joseph Calleja, Gautier Capuçon, Renaud Capuçon, Christopher Clark, Chick Corea, Dan Diner, Hans Magnus Enzensberger, Paolo Fresu, Saul Friedländer, Sol Gabetta, Jan Garbarek, Timothy Garton Ash, Christian Gerhaher, Monika Grütters, Friedrich Gulda, Jürgen Habermas, Thomas Hampson, André Heller, Daniel Hope, Janine Jansen, Hans Jonas, Leonidas Kavakos, Navid Kermani, Alexander Kluge, Gidon Kremer, Nils Landgren, Walter Laqueur, Igor Levit, Loriot, Avishai Margalit, Ian Mcewan, Mischa Maisky, Brad Mehldau, Yehudi Menuhin, Reinhold Messner, Sabine Meyer, Herfried Münkler, Bill Murray, Gregory Porter, Thomas Quasthoff, Quatuor Ebčne, Christoph Ransmayr, Rachel Salamander, Fazil Say, Brendan Sims, Grigory Sokolov, Esbjörn Svenson, Daniil Trifonov, Jean-Yves Thibaudet, Maxim Vengerov, Jan Vogler, Arcadi Volodos, Edmund De Waal, Yuja Wang, Michael Wollny, Frank Peter Zimmermann, and many more."
well, impressive, but you had me at chick corea.
other than brendel, not sure i'd want to see anyone listed more.

also, did you throw bill murray in there to see if anyone would catch it?
Old Mar 10, 2023, 2:21 pm

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Originally Posted by cornwall4000
well, impressive, but you had me at chick corea.
other than brendel, not sure i'd want to see anyone listed more.

also, did you throw bill murray in there to see if anyone would catch it?
Bill Murray was there indeed - reading highlights from literature like Hemmingway and Arthur Miller!
https://www.merkur.de/lokales/garmis...l-8464439.html (sorry, it's in german...)
Old Mar 11, 2023, 1:55 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Originally Posted by tom tulpe
Update: the owners had a change of heart (after seeing current room rates in Frankfurt I suppose) and the hotel is going to reopen as part of the Althoff Collection.

https://m.faz.net/aktuell/rhein-main...34802.amp.html
Interesting twist indeed. Confident that Althoff will bring it back to old strength.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 5:42 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Anything good, or at least passable, near hauptbahnhof? I know Virtuoso has Steigenberger, but the place looks pretty decrepit.
What about near Frankfurt? Schlosshotel Kronberg any good? Is it easy to flag a cab at the Kronberg station to go to Schlosshotel?

Last edited by TOMFORD; Mar 11, 2023 at 6:02 am
Old Mar 11, 2023, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
Update: the owners had a change of heart (after seeing current room rates in Frankfurt I suppose) and the hotel is going to reopen as part of the Althoff Collection.

https://m.faz.net/aktuell/rhein-main...34802.amp.html
not a fan of the VK but was the closest to luxury in Fra.
when you say “the owners had a change of heart …” what did you mean ? Rocco was not doing a good job or were they planning to change from being a hotel ?
Old Mar 11, 2023, 9:02 am

Steigenberger has a great, lively bistro top restaurant and bar with a nice garden in the warm months. The rooms are quite depressing.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 11:42 am

Programs: FB Gold, IB Plus Plata
Originally Posted by speedbird001
Steigenberger has a great, lively bistro top restaurant and bar with a nice garden in the warm months. The rooms are quite depressing.
some suites are somewhat decent, but entry level rooms are indeed quite bad…
Old Mar 11, 2023, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by deer
Best hotel in Germany by far is Schloss Elmau. 5 pools, in it's own valley, brillant food, amazing hospitality - and the best cultural program of any hotel worldwide (no joke!). I just say: Chick Corea played the piano 10 meters in front of me...
Can't second this. It's surely a nice hotel (at least the Retreat), but not great or outstanding. The German market is difficult and there are not many great options, but I have no intention to return to Elmau soon.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 3:29 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by bearbrick
when you say “the owners had a change of heart …” what did you mean ? Rocco was not doing a good job or were they planning to change from being a hotel ?
The plan was to turn it into a luxury retirement home. Supposedly more profitable (until it wasn't).
bearbrick likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 3:33 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Anything good, or at least passable, near hauptbahnhof? I know Virtuoso has Steigenberger, but the place looks pretty decrepit.
What about near Frankfurt? Schlosshotel Kronberg any good? Is it easy to flag a cab at the Kronberg station to go to Schlosshotel?
The Sofitel is probably your best bet. Two stations on the S-bahn, get off at the rear of the train. Or cab.

Railway to Kronberg is a commuter train, and I would't bank on there being taxis wating at the station. But you could certainly call one (use the FreeNow app).
Old Jul 28, 2023, 10:49 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Appreciate all above. Think we're going to try Frankfurter Hof as an Amex FHR redemption.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.