Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sri Lanka Trip Report: Tea Trails, Amanwella, Amangalla

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
Very helpful thank you. The sea plane is a good call! How bad were the drives from Colombo to the Tea Trails and the Tea Trails to Galle? I think Tea Trails to Galle is quicker than to Tangalle.
The drive from Wallawaa to tea trails was about 4, maybe 4/12 hours. The drive to Galle from Tea Trails was about the same. From Galle to tangalle was less than 2 hours.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 2:44 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

I'm writing this at Amangalla at the end of a trip that started with 3N Tea Trails, 7N Amanwella and 3N Amangalla. We were originally inspired by this great trip report.

A fabulous vacation in a beautiful country and I'll be happy to answer any questions.

We also landed at 10:20 a.m. and immigration and baggage was done quickly, so we left the airport at 11, arriving Tea Trails at 3 p.m. for (early) afternoon tea overlooking the reservoir.

The drive from Tea Trails was 4.5 hours, and Amanwella to Amangalla about 90 minutes, half of it on a brand new highway. I would recommend to do all drives during the day, as they are in part quite scenic and interesting.

Mosquitoes were no issue at all. We only put a little repellent on at night at Amanwella. It's the end of dry season now, so this might explain it.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks Vienna! So glad you have had a great time. We decided to do Wella then Galla then Tea Trails in the end, just because the flights work better that way for us. How did you find food and service at Wella? We will definitely opt for an Ocean Suite there and ask for privacy and views.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 4:27 am

I'm thinking of doing this trip - one thing that slightly puzzles me is the sea at Amanwella. Is there ever a time of year when swimming is possible? I once emailed the resort and didn't get a clear response . . . every report I've read and every photo I've seen shows quite heavy waves which make swimming either impossible or merely dangerous.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vienna-resident
I'm writing this at Amangalla at the end of a trip that started with 3N Tea Trails, 7N Amanwella and 3N Amangalla. We were originally inspired by this great trip report.
Thank you! So glad it helped, and even happier you've enjoyed Sri Lanka!

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I'm thinking of doing this trip - one thing that slightly puzzles me is the sea at Amanwella. Is there ever a time of year when swimming is possible? I once emailed the resort and didn't get a clear response . . . every report I've read and every photo I've seen shows quite heavy waves which make swimming either impossible or merely dangerous.
I'm sure it's a matter of age/fitness/swimming abilities, and thus different for everyone, but my wife and I both greatly enjoyed the swimming at Amanwella.

But, then again, we both enjoy good surf.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 11:51 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
We were at Amanwella in January and had no problem swimming in the sea. There were fairly big waves but it was not what I would call dangerous. Children were swimming as well, but being watched closely by the lifeguard.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 12:35 am
formerly vienna-resident

The best time for swimming is apparently the dry season Nov-Apr, when the sea is supposed to be calmer. In mid-April, the sea was quite rough with strong currents on some days, but it was never impossible to swim. There is also a much calmer area for swimming on the other side of the beach (where the fishing boats are), which is protected by a natural rock barrier. The beach boys were great in pointing out currents and best spots for swimming depending on guest's abilities.

Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
Thanks Vienna! So glad you have had a great time. We decided to do Wella then Galla then Tea Trails in the end, just because the flights work better that way for us. How did you find food and service at Wella? We will definitely opt for an Ocean Suite there and ask for privacy and views.
We were quite happy with the food at Wella. The main restaurant has the usual small, daily changing menu of both Asian and Western dishes, and they were very flexible with our off-menu orders. The executive chef was very approachable and made sure that we were happy with everything. The beach grill is the alternative venue, with excellent grilled tuna (caught locally), prawns, lobster and meats.

Service in the main restaurant was a bit disorganized at times, particularly during breakfast, when many guests showed up at the same time.

If you want maximum privacy and views, I would recommend ocean view suite 111 or 110. Both are freestanding units, have the tuk-tuk path behind them and are very private with great views. 112-114 have the path in front of them. As aa213bb already wrote, avoid 101-104 as they have very little privacy.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 12:41 am
formerly vienna-resident

aa213bb - I can't tell you how grateful I am for your continuing report. I hope you won't be disappointed when I tell you that I was on the very brink of booking flights, Tea Trails and both Amans when your report made me change my mind. Completely. It's the effort in getting there, the transfer and mainly the look of Amanwella - now I know why Aman-people don't rate this place very highly. The rooms are derivative, those dipping pools simply ugly and the views are not what one expects of an Aman hotel - and I've stayed in 8 of them over the years. The beach looks great, though, but nothing special for Sri Lanka. These Sir Lankan Amans were originally half the price of, say, Amandari but the price has crept upwards so I just don't feel forking out top dollar for a mediocre hotel, whatever name it has on the front door. Thank again!
What made you change your mind?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:25 am

I do fancy those Tea Trails places, I want to see Galle and it seems rather silly to miss out on a beach place. I still think Amanwella looks iffy and overpriced and as for those cross-country treks, well, I just hate being driven! I'm actually looking for another beach place and one that's more conveniently located . . . possibly halfway up the west coast. Serene Pavilions looks promising.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do fancy those Tea Trails places, I want to see Galle and it seems rather silly to miss out on a beach place. I still think Amanwella looks iffy and overpriced and as for those cross-country treks, well, I just hate being driven! I'm actually looking for another beach place and one that's more conveniently located . . . possibly halfway up the west coast. Serene Pavilions looks promising.
If you can accept a couple of days in a non-luxury place, the hotel Eva Lanka is very close to Amanwella however is on the nicer beach which is calmer. This being said- it is a 3.5 star property although run by a nice Italian/Sri Lankan family- when we want to be on the beach here this is where we stay and it is OK in terms of property if rustic with the beach a 10/10.

I am not sure what you mean about cross-country treks? The drive is 90 minutes from Galle to the area where Eva Lanka and Amanwella are located. The last two years in a row we went swimming at the Eva Lanka in December so it is doable without any real troubles and a bit of common sense. If driving is really not your thing we did meet some people who had chartered a helicopter which you should be able to set up easily through the Aman hotels (there is a group out of Colombo that run both seaplane and helicopter charters all over the island).

Serene Pavillions are 30 km from Colombo- so you won't get to see a lot of the country if you end up staying there- at this point I would head over to the place in Bentota run by the Paradise Road Group which is at least a little closer down the coast (closer to Galle).
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA, SPG
Rooms in Tea Trails

Just finished planning a trip to Maldives/Sri Lanka for next April:
5 nights at Huvafen Fushi
4 nights at Tea Trails
3 nights at Amagalla

I think I am set with almost everything... will drive to Tea Trails from the airport, and will most likely fly to Amangalla (apparently it is very much weather dependent).

One question -- a travel agent who has been to Tea Trails five times strongly suggests staying in Tientsin, reviews in the preceding posts suggest quite the opposite... So, Castlereagh it is -- which suite?

Many thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.