Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sri Lanka Trip Report: Tea Trails, Amanwella, Amangalla

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cakegirl
I just arrived at Amanwella after a delightful time at Castlereagh, Tea Trails.
I am so glad I was somewhat prepared for that drive!
To answer a few questions, the doors have been added at the villa entrances. Nero the dog is here and a total sweetheart ( Pietro is away.)
We are in 205 and really like it. We have a nice ocean view without the lack of privacy some of the ocean front villas have. I have planned a surprise beach BBQ in the coconut grove for dinner tonight.
Wonderful news about the doors. Do you know if all suites have been renovated?

How was the beach BBQ? We thoroughly enjoyed ours, when there.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:19 am

We are sadly leaving Amangalla tonight. It's been a great trip all around, but we've had truly exceptional service at Amanwella and Amangalla. I would have trouble coming up with even a minor issue. Since everything was covered so extensively , I will just add a few comments here when I get home.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 9:09 am

Nice to hear things are great in Sri Lanka. I would love to know what the weather was like during your trip?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by zigzag
Nice to hear things are great in Sri Lanka. I would love to know what the weather was like during your trip?
Overall the weather was very nice and several people commented that it was a great time of year to visit, even though I think it considered low season.
At Tea Trails it had been raining quite a bit before we got there and we had two days of rain and two sunny days. Since we were happy enjoying 4 meals a day and sitting by the fire with a drink and a book, the rain didn't bother us. We had a nice hike and boat trip on the reservoir on the sunny days. The temperatures were mostly 70s during the day and 60s at night.
At Amanwella, the weather was perfect. Warm sunny days and a nice breeze at night perfect for outdoor dining. No rain.
Amangalla was a little hotter. Walking around Galle Fort was hot at midday so we stuck by the pool then. There was only a brief 20 minute rain one evening.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 4:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
This is a fantastic trip report and a very useful resource for travellers to Sri Lanka. Many thanks!

Our flight arrives in Colombo around 10.30am (from Chennai) and I am thinking of travelling straight to the tea trails for 3 nights, then Amanwella 7 nights and Amangalla 3 nights. It's a shame that we will not be able to take the train from Colombo to Hatton due to timings. Is the drive really that terrible? Also does 3 nights at tea trails sound about right? We will be there in February, so hopefully the weather should not be rainy.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
This is a fantastic trip report and a very useful resource for travellers to Sri Lanka. Many thanks!

Our flight arrives in Colombo around 10.30am (from Chennai) and I am thinking of travelling straight to the tea trails for 3 nights, then Amanwella 7 nights and Amangalla 3 nights. It's a shame that we will not be able to take the train from Colombo to Hatton due to timings. Is the drive really that terrible? Also does 3 nights at tea trails sound about right? We will be there in February, so hopefully the weather should not be rainy.
You're certainly welcome! I'm glad to help.

I would maybe move one night from Amanwella to Tea Trails, only given that by the time you clear immigration/customs and grab your luggage - and given what I understand of the drive to be - you won't arrive at Tea Trails until early evening the day you arrive in Sri Lanka. That only leaves you two full days before you head down to Amanwella.

And the drive from Tea Trails to Amanwella is not enjoyable; I believe others have combined in some stopovers to help break it up, though.

Have a wonderful time!
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by aa213bb
You're certainly welcome! I'm glad to help.

I would maybe move one night from Amanwella to Tea Trails, only given that by the time you clear immigration/customs and grab your luggage - and given what I understand of the drive to be - you won't arrive at Tea Trails until early evening the day you arrive in Sri Lanka. That only leaves you two full days before you head down to Amanwella.

And the drive from Tea Trails to Amanwella is not enjoyable; I believe others have combined in some stopovers to help break it up, though.

Have a wonderful time!
Thank you!

I noticed that we can fly directly into Mattala airport from Chennai on Saturdays, which is close to Tangalle. On that basis it seems to make most sense to start with Amanwella, then Amangalla then Tea Trails then home from Colombo.

I think we will also opt for the master suite at Summerville. Castlereagh also looks good, but the nicer rooms are already taken.

Last edited by Londonjetsetter; Apr 23, 2014 at 4:16 am
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:46 am

Thank you!

I noticed that we can fly directly into Mattala airport from Chennai on Saturdays, which is close to Tangalle. On that basis it seems to make most sense to start with Amanwella, then Amangalla then Tea Trails then home from Colombo.

I think we will also opt for the master suite at Summerville. Castlereagh also looks good, but the nicer rooms are already taken.
If we leave the Tea Trails until last we would travel straight to Colombo airport. Our onward flight is not until 23.45, so I assume we would be leaving in the late afternoon. Does anyone know if the mountain roads are unsafe in the dark? If so I will need to re-think this plan.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If we leave the Tea Trails until last we would travel straight to Colombo airport. Our onward flight is not until 23.45, so I assume we would be leaving in the late afternoon. Does anyone know if the mountain roads are unsafe in the dark? If so I will need to re-think this plan.
I have driven in the dark and would say it is not very fun to say the least.
Why not leave earlier in the day and spend a few hours in Colombo?
The new expressway to the airport which opened in December 2013 has dramatically cut the amount of time to/from the airport to the city (used to be >2 hours, now <40 minutes).

There are a number of good restaurants in Colombo. If you want a room for a few hours as a base you could also find some good prices to be sure.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:41 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I have driven in the dark and would say it is not very fun to say the least.
Why not leave earlier in the day and spend a few hours in Colombo?
The new expressway to the airport which opened in December 2013 has dramatically cut the amount of time to/from the airport to the city (used to be >2 hours, now <40 minutes).

There are a number of good restaurants in Colombo. If you want a room for a few hours as a base you could also find some good prices to be sure.
I agree with this suggestion. There are several shops and restaurants that I like in Colombo. My restaurant suggestions are:

• Gallery Café, Geoffrey Bawa’s old office. It has a beautiful, contemporary, indoor outdoor room, and the food is very good. You pay a price for the style; it is similar in price with a bistro in the US - albeit with considerably more ambience. Frozen ginger beer is wonderful. It has a small shop with some of the Paradise Road stock. 2, Alfred House Road,, Off Alfred House Gardens,
• Mount Lavinia. This hotel is a little south of Colombo. It is an old colonial property, named after the mistress of a Sri Lankan governor. It is right on the water with a wonderful view. They serve a very tasty extensive lunch buffet. Sit outside.
• Spoon, Colombo Hilton – very well prepared international cuisine with focus on seafood
• 7/12 Mango Tree (Indian), No. 82, Dharmapala Mawatha – awesome cardamom lassi

Shops:
• 7/11 Suriya, # 39 , Leyards road , Colombo -05 tel 4736459 / 4927621 . Beautiful linen, rugs, art work and basket ware. Extensive, nice merchandise. (very close to Paradise Café)
• 7/12 Barefoot (704 Galle Road) – world-class stop for brilliantly hued textiles, clothes and desk products made with the fabric. www.barefootceylon.com
• 7/12 Paradise Road (Dharmapala Mawatha Street)- near the Town Hall, chic Asian Conran of antiques and fine crafts designed on the island. http://www.paradiseroadsl.com/Main.html
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I agree with this suggestion. There are several shops and restaurants that I like in Colombo. My restaurant suggestions are:

• Gallery Café, Geoffrey Bawa’s old office. It has a beautiful, contemporary, indoor outdoor room, and the food is very good. You pay a price for the style; it is similar in price with a bistro in the US - albeit with considerably more ambience. Frozen ginger beer is wonderful. It has a small shop with some of the Paradise Road stock. 2, Alfred House Road,, Off Alfred House Gardens,
• Mount Lavinia. This hotel is a little south of Colombo. It is an old colonial property, named after the mistress of a Sri Lankan governor. It is right on the water with a wonderful view. They serve a very tasty extensive lunch buffet. Sit outside.
• Spoon, Colombo Hilton – very well prepared international cuisine with focus on seafood
• 7/12 Mango Tree (Indian), No. 82, Dharmapala Mawatha – awesome cardamom lassi

Shops:
• 7/11 Suriya, # 39 , Leyards road , Colombo -05 tel 4736459 / 4927621 . Beautiful linen, rugs, art work and basket ware. Extensive, nice merchandise. (very close to Paradise Café)
• 7/12 Barefoot (704 Galle Road) – world-class stop for brilliantly hued textiles, clothes and desk products made with the fabric. www.barefootceylon.com
• 7/12 Paradise Road (Dharmapala Mawatha Street)- near the Town Hall, chic Asian Conran of antiques and fine crafts designed on the island. http://www.paradiseroadsl.com/Main.html
Thank you this is fantastically helpful. One option I am considering is leaving Tea Trails after lunch and stopping at the Wallawwa for dinner. That has the advantage of being near the airport and being likely to have space to store our bags.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:46 pm
Community Director Emerita

One option I am considering is leaving Tea Trails after lunch and stopping at the Wallawwa for dinner. That has the advantage of being near the airport and being likely to have space to store our bags.
Book a driver who will pick you up at Tea Trails and stay with you til you are dropped at the airport. Give him the list of places you want to stop/eat and he can figure out the best order, staying aware of store closing hours. This way, your bags are stored in the car and you have freedom to go where you like.

If you have excess time, you can visit the National Museum in Colombo.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Book a driver who will pick you up at Tea Trails and stay with you til you are dropped at the airport. Give him the list of places you want to stop/eat and he can figure out the best order, staying aware of store closing hours. This way, your bags are stored in the car and you have freedom to go where you like.

If you have excess time, you can visit the National Museum in Colombo.
Good suggestion.

Can anyone let me know from their own experiences how bad the mosquitos are at Wella, Galla and the Tea Trails? I know that there have been problems with dengue fever from time to time. Is it necessary to cover yourself in repellent all day long (I think the dengue mosquitos are active in the day time)?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:30 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
We were in Sri Lanka a year ago last January. We arrived at 9:30pm so spent our first night at Wallawaa as it is very close to the airport. The restaurant food was pretty good, the room pretty basic ( older wing has nicer rooms btw). Not luxury, but fine for an overnight on way in and out if flights late or early.
We left the next morning for Tea Trails where we spent 3 nights ( wish we had done 4), then 3 nights at Amangalla, and 6 at Amanwella. Nice to end at Amanwella since it is quite relaxing. We flew on the small sea plane to Colombo, had a driver meet us and spent the day in Colombo ( lunch at the Gallery Cafe), and then spent our last night back at Wallawaa since our departing flight was at 8:00am.the highway had not been completed to the airport yet so really needed to stay close by. Wallawaa was fine for those overnights and food was pretty good.
We did not experience any Mosquitos except dining outside at the Wallawaa but they has lots of coils and bug spray so no bites. It was pretty dry when we were there so I suppose it depends on the time of year.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Larkin
We were in Sri Lanka a year ago last January. We arrived at 9:30pm so spent our first night at Wallawaa as it is very close to the airport. The restaurant food was pretty good, the room pretty basic ( older wing has nicer rooms btw). Not luxury, but fine for an overnight on way in and out if flights late or early.
We left the next morning for Tea Trails where we spent 3 nights ( wish we had done 4), then 3 nights at Amangalla, and 6 at Amanwella. Nice to end at Amanwella since it is quite relaxing. We flew on the small sea plane to Colombo, had a driver meet us and spent the day in Colombo ( lunch at the Gallery Cafe), and then spent our last night back at Wallawaa since our departing flight was at 8:00am.the highway had not been completed to the airport yet so really needed to stay close by. Wallawaa was fine for those overnights and food was pretty good.
We did not experience any Mosquitos except dining outside at the Wallawaa but they has lots of coils and bug spray so no bites. It was pretty dry when we were there so I suppose it depends on the time of year.
Very helpful thank you. The sea plane is a good call! How bad were the drives from Colombo to the Tea Trails and the Tea Trails to Galle? I think Tea Trails to Galle is quicker than to Tangalle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.