Reload this Page >

Sri Lanka Trip Report: Tea Trails, Amanwella, Amangalla

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sri Lanka Trip Report: Tea Trails, Amanwella, Amangalla

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: BAEC, IHG Plat Amb, Le Club Accor Plat.
Great report.

Have great memories of Sri Lanka when I visited a couple of years ago. Likely to go back in the not too distant future I hope.

What's the situation like with travel to the North and North East of the island? It was out of bounds when I last visited.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 4:29 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Musken
Thank you so much for this detailed report and all the wonderful pictures. Amangalla and wella are on our list, thinking maybe March next year. Since we will travel with our son, we would want to only visit galla and wella, not the tea trials or other resorts to avoid too much travelling around. We will have 12-14 nights and would like to have time to enjoy lots of activities but also the beach and pools. Would it be too long to stay at just these two resorts for 12-14 nights? Enough activities to do? Eating out? Other suggestions? And March should be good weather wise, or not?
Musken, how is your trip planning coming along? We are thinking of the same trip (12 nights split between the two resorts, probably 3 at Amangalla and 9 at Amanwella) in April next year - and we're asking ourselves the same questions.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 4:41 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vienna-resident
Musken, how is your trip planning coming along? We are thinking of the same trip (12 nights split between the two resorts, probably 3 at Amangalla and 9 at Amanwella) in April next year - and we're asking ourselves the same questions.
We have not yet decided whether we will go to Sri Lanka or rather to the new Aman in Vietnam in March next year. We will probably take the decision when we are at Amansara and Amantaka in October, so that the people we meet there can help us deciding. At that point of time Aman in Vietnam will be open.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Musken
We have not yet decided whether we will go to Sri Lanka or rather to the new Aman in Vietnam in March next year. We will probably take the decision when we are at Amansara and Amantaka in October, so that the people we meet there can help us deciding. At that point of time Aman in Vietnam will be open.
I will be at Aman Vinh Hy in October so remind me to let you know. Combining it with The Nam Hai and Ho Chi Minh, so should be interesting. Also returning to Amansara!
Old Jul 4, 2013, 9:21 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I will be at Aman Vinh Hy in October so remind me to let you know. Combining it with The Nam Hai and Ho Chi Minh, so should be interesting. Also returning to Amansara!
^
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Thank you SO much for bumping this! I completely forgot to post my Amangalla Final Thoughts (ages ago). Doh!

FINAL THOUGHTS

Beautiful Amangalla

Overall, I was very impressed with Amangalla … and I'm even happier now, knowing Pietro is over both Wella and Galla. The feel of the two properties is very different, and I would encourage any traveler to book both and see for herself.

Galle is a lovely fort town, and Amangalla is perfectly nestled in it, providing one with innumerable opportunities to explore the streets and alleys on foot, or take advantage of Aman's wonderful excursion opportunities and explore further afield.

She is a beautiful, old Grande Dame of a house, making for an absolutely lovely experience. As I mentioned before, the feel for me was very reminiscent of Uptown New Orleans (the Garden District), and those beautiful old homes. And that's exactly how we felt -- like we were staying at a friend's home.

In terms of which rooms/suites to book ...

I would not recommend any Garden rooms/chambers, as these will be right next to the pool/outdoor breakfast area.

I believe most people would seek Suite 8, which is a corner suite on the top floor, with gorgeous views over both the water and the fort. The only drawbacks to this room would be a potential lack of privacy, and potential for noise, too. It is at the top of the staircase, up which sound may travel, and there are seating areas in the hallway overlooking the fort where individuals might take drinks at Sunset.

As I mentioned, Suites 21 & 22 will provide the most privacy and peace & quiet, but at the sacrifice of the stunning views Suite 8 (and other on the top floor) provide.

I would request either 21 or 22, or any Suite on the top floor (so as not to have individuals above me, as well as the best views).

RATINGS ...

I would rate Amangalla as follows:

Management: 11/10 (again, Pietro is fantastic)
Food: 9/10
Service: 9/10
Hard Product: 10/10

Amangalla Pros:
- Phenomenal GM
- Stunning renovation to the property
- Very good food
- Beautiful suites
- Good spa treatments
- The Baths!
- Lovely little "Nooks & Crannies" in which to lounge/relax

Amangalla Cons:
- No Fitness Facilities
- Spa Location (given it is an old house, and that the spa is on the ground floor, even during treatments it may be possible for people to be walking or moving luggage above you)

Thank you for reading, and I hope this proves helpful to any of you.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 4:59 am
formerly vienna-resident

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Agree, sounds like a great combination! We'll be at Amansara over NYE and would love to combine this with Aman Vinh Hy.

I am really eager for further information regarding Vinh Hy - there should be something "official" within the next few weeks if they will indeed open in September?
Old Jul 6, 2013, 5:08 am

Agree, sounds like a great combination! We'll be at Amansara over NYE and would love to combine this with Aman Vinh Hy.

I am really eager for further information regarding Vinh Hy - there should be something "official" within the next few weeks if they will indeed open in September?
From what I heard, there should be "something official" from Aman regarding Vinh Hy on 10th July. We'll see
Old Jul 6, 2013, 5:19 am
formerly vienna-resident

Originally Posted by halibahs
From what I heard, there should be "something official" from Aman regarding Vinh Hy on 10th July. We'll see
Exciting! ^

I am looking forward to the 10th then
Old Jul 7, 2013, 10:02 am

Can anyone help me with booking the train from Columbo to Hatton? I am booking on Expo Rail, as the Rajadhani does not operate on Wednesdays. When I use their online reservation system, Hatton is not offered as a destination point. Is there another name for the train station there?
Old Jul 7, 2013, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cakegirl
Can anyone help me with booking the train from Columbo to Hatton? I am booking on Expo Rail, as the Rajadhani does not operate on Wednesdays. When I use their online reservation system, Hatton is not offered as a destination point. Is there another name for the train station there?
You want to book the "Colombo - Badula" option, on either one, and then get off at Hatton.

I've updated my initial post to include this info, as you are correct, it can be hard to ascertain.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:46 pm

Thanks so much, now I understand. We have visas and train tickets, and I'm glad we are finally going after reading all of your reports! We added a 2 day layover in Bangkok (MO) to break up the trip a little. There's no easy way to arrange MSY-CMB.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 4:55 am

Exciting! ^

I am looking forward to the 10th then
It appears that there is some "delay" in the pipeline... so nothing yet unfortunately, my source tells me it should be out soon though *fingers crossed*

Lijiang on the other hand, seems to be set for late 2013 and early 14...
guess it's difficult to get things right in China
Old Jul 10, 2013, 5:07 am
formerly vienna-resident

Originally Posted by halibahs
It appears that there is some "delay" in the pipeline... so nothing yet unfortunately, my source tells me it should be out soon though *fingers crossed*

Lijiang on the other hand, seems to be set for late 2013 and early 14...
guess it's difficult to get things right in China
Thanks for the update ^ not surprised, though...
Old Jul 27, 2013, 7:04 am

I just arrived at Amanwella after a delightful time at Castlereagh, Tea Trails.
I am so glad I was somewhat prepared for that drive!
To answer a few questions, the doors have been added at the villa entrances. Nero the dog is here and a total sweetheart ( Pietro is away.)
We are in 205 and really like it. We have a nice ocean view without the lack of privacy some of the ocean front villas have. I have planned a surprise beach BBQ in the coconut grove for dinner tonight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.