Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental in Las Vegas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental in Las Vegas?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2012, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xxquiker
Starting on October 31st to January 2013-The FS will undergo a remodel of rooms and public places.
Great!

That is a fast time frame given the size of the property.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luxury
Schedule is that the first set of rooms will start renovations in late October and the bulk of the rooms will be done for mid December. The remaining rooms are to be completed by mid January.
Originally Posted by trojanman
FS renovations are scheduled to complete December 17. I am booked on a stay from Dec 21 - 23 and have been guaranteed a renovated room by management.

The FSPP benefit used to include dinner for 2 at Charlie Palmer steak, which I rather enjoyed. However I am advised the FSPP benefit is now dinner at Verandah.
FHR says dinner, so im assuming this is what changed
virtuoso 2009>2012 say verandah

Originally Posted by xxquiker
Starting on October 31st to January 2013-The FS will undergo a remodel of rooms and public places.
http://www.vegastripping.com/news/bl...cess-and-more/

A few years ago, we managed to get our hands on minutes from CityCenter board meetings wherein MGM top brass (Bobby Baldwin, Dan D'Errico and Jim Murren) discussed the difficulties they were having with Mandarin Oriental management... with primary sticking points being room rates and their insistence that Mandarin charge a resort fee. Eventually [MO] caved
i wonder if FS resort fees are decided by owner as well

in other vegas news >

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
~24% of trump vegas units become hilton timeshares
http://www.lvrj.com/business/trump-i...168816716.html
1254 units
- 875 unsold (- ~300 hilton = ~575 unsold)
= 379 closed (opened mar 31 2008)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 17, 2012 at 8:14 am
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:27 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Originally Posted by ABG
The Four Seasons Preferred Partner offer is never a fixed meal anywhere... In Las Vegas it is suppose to be a $100.00 spa credit, but YMMV in getting that switched to a F&B credit.
People may be getting confused with the Virtuoso amenities for FS LAS as they are continental breakfast daily and $85 credit towards dinner at Verandah. With FSPP, it is daily American breakfast and $100 Spa services credit.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by cocacolaenjoy1
Four Seasons has its own kitchen that prepares food only for Four Seasons Rooms. MGM Resorts International only collects money as the owner, Four Seasons has complete control over the property and has its own everything.
I'm a little confused. Does the FS have it's own room service in terms of making it within the hotel and by FS staff?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by ABG
The Four Seasons Preferred Partner offer is never a fixed meal anywhere... In Las Vegas it is suppose to be a $100.00 spa credit, but YMMV in getting that switched to a F&B credit.
Correct, FSPP benefit is $100 spa credit. The Virtuoso offer, however, is dining credit valid at Verandah ONLY. It is not allowed to be used at Charlie Palmer. I asked, and they said it was because CP is a tenant and not owned/operated by the hotel.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

to clarify my last post
for FS vegas >
FHR only publishes "dinner" even though contract usually specifies (consistent format for all properties)
virtuoso directories from 2009>2012 all say 'dinner at verandah' (quick search didnt find 2008 etc online)

http://www.mandarinoriental.com/lasvegas/accommodation/
MO has brought back ratecards on new site ^
whats the latest on upgrade potential ?
$525 strip view suite > $1250 dynasty suite
$1950 apex suite > ? emperor suite

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 17, 2012 at 7:52 pm
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Amb, UA 1K, HLT DIA
Originally Posted by Shangri-La
I'm a little confused. Does the FS have it's own room service in terms of making it within the hotel and by FS staff?
Yes, Four Seasons Las Vegas prepares and delivers the food within the hotel by Four Seasons staff. I have ordered room service at Mandalay Bay and Four Seasons and the quality is totally different. Mandalay Bay would never keep two sets of ingredients around as well as room service linens.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Amb, UA 1K, HLT DIA
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
FHR says dinner, so im assuming this is what changed
virtuoso 2009>2012 say verandah

http://www.vegastripping.com/news/bl...cess-and-more/

i wonder if FS resort fees are decided by owner as well

in other vegas news >
Yes and no on the resort fees. MGM Resorts International as the owner can "suggest" that resort fees be imposed, but Four Seasons is not under an obligation to impose anything, but Four Seasons needs to make the owner happy so it will do as told which also includes the adjustment of room rates. Also the first set of rooms to come back online will be around Nov 21 with a premium for the renovated rooms like Bellagio has done.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:30 am

Yes, Four Seasons Las Vegas prepares and delivers the food within the hotel by Four Seasons staff. I have ordered room service at Mandalay Bay and Four Seasons and the quality is totally different. Mandalay Bay would never keep two sets of ingredients around as well as room service linens.
Well it does seem some of us has had another experience. For the record I haven't been in Vegas for over a year though so I might be outdated.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SocialAdept
Correct me if I'm wrong but room service at the 4S comes from Mandalay Bay, no? I remember the food there to be mediocre.
Originally Posted by laxconnorw
Yes, and yes (at best).
vs

Four Seasons has its own kitchen that prepares food only for Four Seasons Rooms. MGM Resorts International only collects money as the owner, Four Seasons has complete control over the property and has its own everything.
also relevant >

Originally Posted by trojanman
not allowed to be used at Charlie Palmer. I asked, and they said it was because CP is a tenant and not owned/operated by the hotel.
Yes and no on the resort fees. MGM Resorts International as the owner can "suggest" that resort fees be imposed, but Four Seasons is not under an obligation to impose anything, but Four Seasons needs to make the owner happy so it will do as told which also includes the adjustment of room rates.
"not under an obligation" vs "will do as told" = contradictory

"Eventually [MO] caved"

i know FS contracts are better/best, but that was the language i was specifically referring to. (although MGM is clearly not the average owner.) FS currently has a number of resort fee properties. my hope was that it was NOT another reflection of downgrading luxury. which it is, if it is FS and not the owner.

and regardless of industry best contract, the idea that owner has no control is clearly no longer true, if it ever was. we now have legal precedent in US of contracts, including FS, being ended. the thing ive specifically wondered about in the past is things that disrupt guest experience like the modern family filming at FS. especially when property is not performing well, on a loan. so not just owner, but lender. who at some point can take over.

back to renovation >
first set of rooms to come back online will be around Nov 21 with a premium for the renovated rooms

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 19, 2012 at 2:40 am
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:22 am

We are here at FS Las Vegas now and I would stay somewhere else until the renovations are finished. we have had hammering, bandsawing and all sorts of renovation noises in the room directly above us, starting from 6.45am and finishing around 9.30pm.

So much for the tranquil peace from frenetic Las Vegas I was hoping for...

The rooms do need renovating as they are showing their age, but if I had known that the noise would be like this I would have stayed at the MO in a heartbeat.

Just thought I'd let anyone know who was considering where to stay. DH complained this morning about the noise as we requested a quiet room, due to travelling with two small children, but the front desk just said that they would look into it. Fingers crossed we have a better sleep tonight.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

move to MO? talk to FS mgmt about room options before doing so?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by carls888
We are here at FS Las Vegas now and I would stay somewhere else until the renovations are finished. we have had hammering, bandsawing and all sorts of renovation noises in the room directly above us, starting from 6.45am and finishing around 9.30pm.

So much for the tranquil peace from frenetic Las Vegas I was hoping for...

The rooms do need renovating as they are showing their age, but if I had known that the noise would be like this I would have stayed at the MO in a heartbeat.

Just thought I'd let anyone know who was considering where to stay. DH complained this morning about the noise as we requested a quiet room, due to travelling with two small children, but the front desk just said that they would look into it. Fingers crossed we have a better sleep tonight.

That's a pretty poor response. If I was the FS I'd move you to the MO and offer you a complimentary stay once the renovation is complete. It's important for them to maintain their reputation as being an "oasis" in Vegas and 14-15 hour construction periods won't do that.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:10 pm

Thanks guys for your responses. If the situation is the same tonight I will be less accommodating with our complaint.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by carls888
Thanks for the heads up. I just canceled my reservation for an upcoming weekend. Not worth the risk when there are good alternatives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.