FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Amanresorts Thread 2012 (Started by Amanjunkie) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1297098-amanresorts-thread-2012-started-amanjunkie.html)

FlyingDoctorwu Jan 17, 2012 7:15 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle (Post 17817546)
Soft opening around end May beginning June.

thanks! can't wait to see more details of the resort.

FDW

Kagehitokiri Jan 17, 2012 8:26 am

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer (Post 17777334)
I am travelling solo sometime in 2012 to south east asia...

Flying in from LHR, I would preferrably like to arrive at SIN, stay a few nights and splurge at Marina Bay Sands, or Capella, and then start my budget tour.

...Malaysia doesn't appeal to me much, as a budget traveller. Of course, I would love to visit The Datai but not going to happen.

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer (Post 17838825)
Is it possible to visit Aman properties as a guest and walk around the resort with a video camera filming the property and its amenities? Maybe get a guided tour by a member of staff?

If I was a paying guest, I could do this easily. But do I need to be a paying guest? I need the material for my YouTube channel.

For example, some larger resorts have restuarants and boutique shops which the public can come and explore (and basically have access to everything except the rooms), but I am not sure how this works with something as exclusive as Aman.

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer (Post 17839511)
Yes, very serious. I aim to travel the world and film all the best luxury hotel resorts and upload them to my YouTube account. Why would I not be serious?

If I can do this without actually paying then all the better.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to visit Aman and stay at their resorts, but if I am in Phuket and wanted to use Amanpuri's restuarant, then why not film the resort before and after I eat?

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer (Post 17924588)
I tried to book Amanjiwo in April, and the website told me no vacancies. I then emailed concierge, and he replied to say there were vacancies. Then I checked on website again, and there were no vacancies. :rolleyes:

So now I chose Sheraton Mustika. Aman's problem, not mine. Think of the money I save.

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer (Post 18019876)
I don't understand where people get all their money from on this forum.

If you are all millionnaires then you wouldn't be wasting time on forums on the net, you'd probably get your butler to do it for you.

I've just booked 3 nights in KL - at the Furama Bukit Bintang. My budget wouldn't stretch to anything more expensive, not even Traders. :(

Guess I'm in the wrong job. :td:

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer (Post 18080827)
Staying at the Puding Shangri-La for 1 night in May. I have not been to Shanghai before, but was sold on this property long ago.

and >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17726708-post7.html

Kagehitokiri Jan 17, 2012 8:30 am

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer (Post 17818527)
The service is not necessarily important to me...I won't spend much time in the hotel (Borobudur and Prambanan being my main tours) and being a solo traveller I am not going to spend time in restuarants either.

But how many single travellers do you get normally at Aman resorts? Are they treated like green aliens?

Originally Posted by FlyerEC (Post 17819860)
I've been at some Amans by myself, & it's quite wonderful...Have met others enjoying time on own too.

thanks FlyerEC for second/third reply :eek:

i knew i was having deja vu... from october 28 >

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer (Post 17349278)
I am thinking of making a first ever trip to an Aman Resort in 2012, but I would be going solo on this occasion.

I have stayed at other luxury hotels on my own, such as Marina Bay Sands (don't laugh), Madinat Jumeirah Al Qasr, MO Dhara Dhevi, and Shangri-La's Boracay Resort.

Please be honest with me, how strange is it to go to an Aman Resort on your own?

Kagehitokiri Jan 17, 2012 8:37 am

Originally Posted by blueline7 (Post 17349304)
There is not the slightest reason to be concerned

Originally Posted by FlyerEC (Post 17349536)
You'll be fine. Have done it often enough

Originally Posted by instyleprincess (Post 17349851)
You'll be just fine going on your own

Originally Posted by MegatopLover (Post 17350201)
I know someone who frequented Amandari on her own

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle (Post 17350517)
Over the years I have met loads of single guests at Amans...I have only done this once

Originally Posted by zigzag (Post 17352825)
I've done Amanjiwo on my own and felt very comfortable

Originally Posted by FlyerEC (Post 17352907)
Aman is lovely to be at either alone...I've also met some travelling alone.

thanks for responses, and thanks again blueline7 for the absolutely incredible report

A380 Flyer Jan 17, 2012 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 17829426)
thanks FlyerEC for third reply :eek:

i knew i was having deja vu... from october 28 >

If you aren't going to add anything to the discussion then please do not destroy others' threads with inane quoting.

Flagged.

Musken Jan 17, 2012 9:50 am

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer (Post 17829949)
If you aren't going to add anything to the discussion then please do not destroy others' threads with inane quoting.

Flagged.

I think he was just reminding you that you actually asked the same question before and that you got lots of great answers at that point in time. Or was someone else using your nickname back then? :eek:

paul2 Jan 17, 2012 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC (Post 17826666)
Oh yes, H & C are off to Greece !!

Thanks for that FlyerEC and all of your updates.Enjoy the rest of your trip.

A380 Flyer Jan 18, 2012 1:04 pm

Is it possible to visit Aman properties as a guest and walk around the resort with a video camera filming the property and its amenities? Maybe get a guided tour by a member of staff?

If I was a paying guest, I could do this easily. But do I need to be a paying guest? I need the material for my YouTube channel.

For example, some larger resorts have restuarants and boutique shops which the public can come and explore (and basically have access to everything except the rooms), but I am not sure how this works with something as exclusive as Aman.

LarkSFO Jan 18, 2012 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer (Post 17838825)

Are you serious?

A380 Flyer Jan 18, 2012 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 17839241)
Are you serious?

Yes, very serious. I aim to travel the world and film all the best luxury hotel resorts and upload them to my YouTube account. Why would I not be serious?

Don't get me wrong, I would love to visit Aman and stay at their resorts, but if I am in Phuket and wanted to use Amanpuri's restuarant, then why not film the resort before and after I eat?

paul2 Jan 18, 2012 2:38 pm

You won't be allowed walk around an amanresort with a video camera filming, if you are not a paying guest.House guests only after the reception/restaurant areas.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to visit Aman and stay at their resorts, but if I am in Phuket and wanted to use Amanpuri's restuarant, then why not film as I eat?

IF you get a reservation at a restaurant at Amanpuri the staff will ask you to stop filming and probably turf you out!

adiaphane_ft Jan 18, 2012 3:04 pm

Why not just stay a night and film/take photos to your heart's content?

LarkSFO Jan 18, 2012 5:24 pm

OK. Sounds interesting.

Do you have a URL for your youtube channel? Or is this an idea at this point?

paul2 Jan 18, 2012 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 17840619)
OK. Sounds interesting.

Can you both PM each other as this discussion is so off thread it's getting ridiculous, please?

Kagehitokiri Jan 18, 2012 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 17840619)
OK. Sounds interesting.

Originally Posted by paul2 (Post 17840758)
Can you both PM each other as this discussion is so off thread it's getting ridiculous, please?

i dont think LarkSFO was intending a "discussion" in those terms

im trying to refrain from commenting :D