Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa Express AirRail procedures [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2016, 4:31 pm
mbr

Programs: LX SEN, HH Diamond, IHG, Melia Silver, AVIS, Sixt
It was finally rectified by HON Service the last time. Interestingly now I have another 4 AirRail segments which have not posted so far. Will wait a little longer because I would like to understand whether it posts just slow or what happened.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
The Fraport website says this program is still active. Any recent reports using this from Cologne for an US Bound flight departing FRA?
Old Oct 26, 2021, 5:20 pm

Since my original IAD-MUC-CGN routing fell by the wayside with recent schedule changes, I ended up going IAD-FRA-QKL instead, with the last leg served by LH Express Rail. Don't like this very much because rental car services at QKL (Cologne Main Railway Station) are not very convenient, to say the least, but it's faster than the IAD-FRA-MUC-CGN rerouting suggested by LH. Anyway, the rebooking put us into seats 22G/J for the FRA-QKL train ride but I cannot find any seat map for German ICE trains with such a seat assignment. All ICE seats seem to have consecutive numbers instead of numbering by rows as suggested by 22G/J. Does anyone know how 22G/J maps into regular ICE seat numbers? (I know this is not very important for a one-hour train ride since all first-class ICE seats are very similar -- I am just curious.)
Old Nov 11, 2021, 6:21 pm

Lufthansa Express Rail ZWS -> FRA checked luggage deadline

I have an upcoming travel ZWS -> FRA -> OPO, and I just realized the "flight" from ZWS -> FRA is through Lufthansa Express Rail from the Stuttgart Hauptbahnhof and the layover in FRA is just 1 hour and 15 minutes. The problem is, how does the checked luggage work with this type of flight? I think I have to check it in at Frankfurt, correct?

Lufthansa's website says that for the Frankfurt airport the deadline for the drop-off of checked luggage is 60 minutes before departure, however, if I select "airport" Stuttgart Hauptbahnhof it says the deadline is 15 minutes before departure at "AiRail-Terminal in Frankfurt". So, which one is true? Because the layover is only 1 hour and 15 minutes, if the train is delayed I will likely miss the 60-minute window for check-in but if it is the 15-minute window I can easily make it. There is another "flight" from ZWS to FRA 40 minutes prior to mine, but I doubt they would let me board it without paying more.

Sorry if this has been answered before, but after intensively searching other websites I could not find an answer to this. Lufthansa's website for Express Rail is also quite useless in this regard.

Bonus question: On the way back, where do I pick up my checked luggage? Do I just leave the airport and head to the train station AiRail terminal to grab my luggage?
Old Nov 11, 2021, 11:54 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
You checkin online for your entire trip the day before you board the train in Stuttgart. In Frankfurt there is a separate airrail desk to check your bag on the way from the station to the terminal. In T1 there is a separate security lane for airrail passengers to accommodate the short connections. Ask at the airrail checkin desk when you give them your luggage.

on the way back the airrail luggage shows up at a belt opposite the airrail desk so you don’t have to carry your luggage all the way from terminal to the station.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
You checkin online for your entire trip the day before you board the train in Stuttgart. In Frankfurt there is a separate airrail desk to check your bag on the way from the station to the terminal. In T1 there is a separate security lane for airrail passengers to accommodate the short connections. Ask at the airrail checkin desk when you give them your luggage.

on the way back the airrail luggage shows up at a belt opposite the airrail desk so you don’t have to carry your luggage all the way from terminal to the station.
Thank you for the help.
So even if, for example, the train arrives 15 minutes late to the Frankfurt airport would I still be able to check-in my luggage after the 60 minute deadline? Is this case because I am an AirRail passenger and it instead applies the 15 minute window?
Old Jul 6, 2022, 2:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
With the addition of DB as an intermodal *A member the airrail segments can also be credited to *A partner FFPs:

The new partnership builds on the Lufthansa Express Rail program

Lufthansa customers have been able to buy a combined ticket for trains and flights in one booking step for more than 20 years. In the future, in addition to Lufthansa, all 25 other Star Alliance member airlines will be able to include DB’s environmentally friendly ICE trains as a flight number in their booking engine.

Customers will benefit from advantages such as:

• In just one booking process, airline customers receive a combined ticket for the flight and train journeys including seat reservation. Upon check-in – which is possible until shortly before the train departs – travelers receive their boarding passes for both the flight and the train journeys.
  • With integrated ICE train journeys, air travelers will have even more choice based on timings, duration and prices offered.
  • Customers also benefit from priority baggage handling and other services in the AiRail check-in area at the Frankfurt Airport.
  • For all bookings of combined train-flight journeys via Lufthansa Express Rail or, also with the member airlines of the Star Alliance, points or miles can be collected for the train journeys in the preferred frequent flyer programs of the airlines.
  • In addition, Business and First-Class flight customers of Star Alliance member airlines will receive additional benefits with an LH Express Rail ticket, such as access to the DB lounges.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:18 pm

My wife is booked on a UA award ticket IAD-FRA-LEJ in a few weeks. Checking the itinerary today, the FRA-LEJ segment was changed from a flight (LH156) to a train (LH3770) to Leipzig Hbf / XIT. I have a few questions:
  • Would she likely get her boarding pass / train ticket for FRA-XIT when checking in at IAD, or would she have to get it somewhere at FRA?
  • One of the previous posts mentioned that baggage for such an intermodal ticket would be delivered to a separate pick-up area near the AirRail check-in in the walkway/bridge between the airport and the long distance train station rather than the regular luggage carousel after immigration and before customs - is that still the case? If so, does the luggage need to be tagged IAD-FRA-XIT (rather than just IAD-FRA) even though my wife will be picking it up at FRA and carrying it on the train? I'm just wondering what to look out for during check-in and baggage tagging.
  • If she misses the train to XIT indicated on her boarding pass / train ticket due to a delayed flight or long immigration lines (her connection time is about 1:40 hours), how does she get rebooked onto the next train? Would she have to interact with the AirRail staff in the walkway/bridge for rebooking, or could she just take the next train with her existing boarding pass? (obviously she could just purchase a regular train ticket for whatever train she ends up taking in that scenario, but it'd be nice not to have to do so)
Thank you very much in advance.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 10:05 pm

Programs: TK Elite, LH FTL
Originally Posted by hogo74
My wife is booked on a UA award ticket IAD-FRA-LEJ in a few weeks. Checking the itinerary today, the FRA-LEJ segment was changed from a flight (LH156) to a train (LH3770) to Leipzig Hbf / XIT. I have a few questions:
  • Would she likely get her boarding pass / train ticket for FRA-XIT when checking in at IAD, or would she have to get it somewhere at FRA?
  • One of the previous posts mentioned that baggage for such an intermodal ticket would be delivered to a separate pick-up area near the AirRail check-in in the walkway/bridge between the airport and the long distance train station rather than the regular luggage carousel after immigration and before customs - is that still the case? If so, does the luggage need to be tagged IAD-FRA-XIT (rather than just IAD-FRA) even though my wife will be picking it up at FRA and carrying it on the train? I'm just wondering what to look out for during check-in and baggage tagging.
  • If she misses the train to XIT indicated on her boarding pass / train ticket due to a delayed flight or long immigration lines (her connection time is about 1:40 hours), how does she get rebooked onto the next train? Would she have to interact with the AirRail staff in the walkway/bridge for rebooking, or could she just take the next train with her existing boarding pass? (obviously she could just purchase a regular train ticket for whatever train she ends up taking in that scenario, but it'd be nice not to have to do so)
Thank you very much in advance.
She should get the boarding pass for the railway sector on check-in at IAD, but she could also get it online, at one of the check-in machines at FRA or even at the AirRail check-in. The luggage should indeed been tagged to XIT and then can be collected at the AirRail terminal. This is much preferable to having it tagged to FRA as (a) there's no need to carry it to the railway station and (b) the bag will be considered transit luggage, which has priority over luggage arriving at FRA. Some people have reported waiting for hours at the belt in FRA recently.. If she misses the train, she would need to get re-booked on another codeshared train (or flight to LEJ), she cannot use the 'old' boarding pass (which will come with a seat assignment) on another train. This can be done at the AirRail terminal as well.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 10:39 pm

Is the AirRail terminal baggage collection back up and running now? Last time I used it in March 2022 baggage had to be collected as normal from the normal baggage belt, and the AirRail terminal was closed.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:09 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Passed by it after arriving in FRA from SIN on way to Hilton (which is on top of the ICE train station) and it was open in early May. I didn't use it though so no idea if it was fully up and running with all services and such.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 2:00 am

Programs: LX SEN & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by 8420PR
Is the AirRail terminal baggage collection back up and running now? Last time I used it in March 2022 baggage had to be collected as normal from the normal baggage belt, and the AirRail terminal was closed.
Unfortunately it is but it takes ages until your baggage arrives there. I prefer normal baggage belt nowadays…
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Arnur
She should get the boarding pass for the railway sector on check-in at IAD, but she could also get it online, at one of the check-in machines at FRA or even at the AirRail check-in. The luggage should indeed been tagged to XIT and then can be collected at the AirRail terminal. This is much preferable to having it tagged to FRA as (a) there's no need to carry it to the railway station and (b) the bag will be considered transit luggage, which has priority over luggage arriving at FRA. Some people have reported waiting for hours at the belt in FRA recently.. If she misses the train, she would need to get re-booked on another codeshared train (or flight to LEJ), she cannot use the 'old' boarding pass (which will come with a seat assignment) on another train. This can be done at the AirRail terminal as well.
Thank you very much, this is really helpful information. If she misses that 9:02 am train, she'd likely have to get rebooked on another code-shared train to XIT (they seem to be running every two hours) as LH appears to have cancelled (or least zeroed out inventory for) all FRA-LEJ flights that day except the late evening one at 10:15 pm.
Arnur likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:59 am

Programs: TK Elite, LH FTL
Originally Posted by 8420PR
It certainly looked like it was up and running when I walked by yesterday evening. I did not use it though as I was on a codeshare flight.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 3:26 am

Programs: Aer Lingus AerClub Concierge, BA Silver
Quick question.
I’ve just been rebooked FRA-STR via train. I’ve been assigned seat 480F on the train but I can’t find a seat map anywhere that shows this seat. The seat map on DBS website shows carriage numbers and then seat numbers in each carriage e.g. carriage 4 seat 76, but no seats anywhere with letters. Can anyone explain? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.